Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Leaves 2 Dead, 11 Injured

PIKESVILLE, Md. (WJZ) — Two Baltimore County men died over the weekend after carbon monoxide reached inside their home.

Alex DeMetrick explains that a total of 11 people had to be treated for carbon monoxide poisoning.

 Eight people living with the two men who died were brought to Shock Trauma for the hyperbaric chamber to be treated for extreme exposure to the deadly gas.

 The men most likely inhaled a deadly amount of carbon monoxide.

 Eight other people living there—including two children—were overcome by the odorless gas and rushed to the hospital.

 “It’s just very emotional because it’s a lot of people,” said Gail Fiedler, Doxa Ministries. “And we want to see what we can do to bring comfort or support.”

 Community members are shocked that two neighbors died in a way that could happen to anyone.

 “It’s sad,” said Lauren Stanley, neighbor. “Especially this time of year, not that there’s ever a good time of year, but just this time of year it’s so sad.”

 The carbon monoxide level was so high in the house that the first three officers who arrived on the scene were inside for a short time and then they had to go to the hospital.

 “Carbon monoxide levels [were] close to 400 parts per million,” said Michael Robinson, Baltimore County Fire official.  “The threshold that we’re concerned with normally is 10 parts per million.”

 The Baltimore County Fire Department found a gas-fueled furnace that is the most likely source of the deadly gas.

 Officials have not confirmed if the family had any carbon monoxide detectors.

 One neighbor is prepared.

 “I have three detectors,” said Shannon Wills, neighbor. “So, I guess that keeps me aware if anything happens here. A lot of things that I have run off of gas.”

 “We would like to remind people—particularly this time of year when they’re beginning to fire up their heating, when people are using other types of portable heaters—to make sure that things are operated in a well-ventilated space,” Robinson said.

 WJZ checked the Pikesville home and no one was there.  Neighbors say that the family who lives there has been boarding several construction workers. The men who died were two of those workers.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning start with dizziness and headaches.  Getting out the house is the best first step to avoid lethal exposure.

More from Alex DeMetrick
  • pigeon

    My prayers out to and for all, including the emergency personnel.
    I do have my questions concerning all who lived there, especially with the “boarding several construction workers”.
    There is, no doubt, a lot more to this story.

  • Heather

    Carbon monoxide detectors saved my familys life this weekend. Sorry for this tradegy that could have been avoided! Many prayers for loss of loved ones lost.

  • milfilicious

    My prayers and condolences go out to all involve in this tragedy.
    @ pigeon-It doesn’t matter if there is more to this story or not. Bottom line-two people lost their lives.

  • D.moore

    i am a housing inspector for an gas copmany n i would hate to leave a family that fallls to co posioning. Please send in request for employees to have dectors on them when visting costumers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! things happen but things can be prevented Do something help us help us

  • wireless burglar alarm

    Having carbon monoxide detectors in residential properties is invaluable. If you have a carbon monoxide leak from faulty appliances or a heater that malfunctions, having an alarm that alerts you of potential carbon monoxide poisoning is crucial for the well-being of your family. If you want to know more about the kinds of carbon monoxide alarms in the market today, this site offers some helpful articles —

blog comments powered by Disqus
Track Weather On The Go With Our App!

Listen Live