WJZ #FIRSTWARNINGWX: Flash Flood Watch In Effect For Parts Of Md. Through Friday Morning | Current Conditions | Download The WJZ Weather App

Ocean City’s Boardwalk To Be Replaced

OCEAN CITY, Md. (WJZ) — A redesign is in the works for one of the shore’s most iconic landmarks.

The Ocean City boardwalk needs replacing. The wood has deteriorated over the years.

The Mayor and City Council are now considering three different options to rebuild the boardwalk – 1) an all wood surface, 2) wood surface with a plain concrete train lane and 3) wood surface with a stamped concrete train lane. Options for concrete are being considered given the iconic Boardwalk trains’ impact on the wear and tear of the boardwalk.

Click here to take the city’s poll on what you think should happen.

Comments

1. ed j says:

2 of the 3 sentences are unclear. Check writing before printing !!!

2. Big Laughs says:

Thye comments on this post are stupid, people have no life outside making troll posts on a news post. Sad. I think they should do the stamped concrete.

3. Colin says:

How about no train lane because over 75% of the people on the boardwalk are out of shape and need to walk and burn calories off

1. Lisa says:

How about the elderly or disabled people that benefit from the train? Not everyone is able to walk the entire boardwalk. They shouldn’t lose that experience.

1. Stephanie says:

I agree Lisa. Some people don’t think about stuff like that.

I don’t the concrete train lanes are a great idea. And in reference to the “75% of people that need to walk and burn calories off”.. Why should you be the one to decide what they need Colin? It’s got absolutely nothing to do with that.

2. tylerjake says:

LMAO! I agree with you Colin!

4. Tom says:

I think if you move the train lane to the outside ( sand side ) of the boardwalk making it concrete would be fine. The train should have never been placed in the center in the first place! Anything other than a wooden boardwalk is not a boardwalk…

5. John Cain says:

What about composite decking, it would be costly at first but would last alot longer than wood, I would hat to see the boardwalk turn to all concrete> To me the wood is one of the most appealing parts of the boardwalk!

6. Tabbykat says:

i THINK THE BOARDWALK,NEEDS TO BE MADE OF WOOD.I’VE BEEN GOING THERE SINCE I WAS A LITTLE GIRL,AND THE BOARDWALK WAS ALWAYS MY FAVORITE.SO IT MIGHT BE OKAY IF THE TRAIN HAD A PRINTED CEMENT LANE,BUT IT STILL WON’T BE THE SAME WITHOUT ALL WOOD.

7. T says:

All three options state that the boardwalk will remain wood. They’re just trying to possibly incorporate a concrete train lane. Sheesh, people.

8. Amy B says:

The boardwalk must be made of wood. That’s why it is called the “board” walk. It woud not be the same if they added concrete to it.

9. Joe Smith says:

I would like to see the boardwalk remain wooden. I also don’t how they will build an adjoining bus lane to the boardwalk all they way to 28th street. Cement or wood would be staggering in cost. Isn’t there some type of sealer that can go over the new boards to make them last longer with train and foot traffic ?

10. MD Resident says:

Who’s paying for this? According to our esteemed governor, the state is broke.

1. Rich on the Severn says:

Thrasher’s!

1. dale-gribble says:

LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!

11. A Ludlum says:

Which rain forest are they going to rape for the wood?

12. Barb says:

I like how the article says the boardwalk is “one of the SHORE’S most iconic landmarks” No native Marylander calls it the shore, we call it the Ocean or the beach. And when referencing the Eastern Shore, it is just that, the Eastern Shore. Goes to show you that even our news is being reported by transplants- most likely from New Jersey by the sounds of it at that.

13. Rich on the Severn says:

I agree with this comment. Why can’t they replace the timbers with a recycled product that looks exactly like wood, will wear and weather 10 times better, and be a huge “green” accomplishment for the citizens of Ocean City and MD? Get with it people, forests are being clear cut. I would feel great walking along a boardwalk made of recycled materials knowing the environment was helped.

14. Keith says:

Saw a section of test materials on about 17th street last year. Maybe what’s to come.

15. Gerry Steen says:

I agree with Tom’s comment, NYTHING OTHER THAN A WOODEN BOARDWALK IS NOT A BOAERD WALK. kEEP it like it is and replace the bad boards. .

16. Dave Funk says:

The test materials were recycled plastic, and I sure hope that isnt the way they go. Part of the boardwalks appeal is the smell of the planks and the sea air. I hope they go all wood.