Fire: Patrons Forced To Evacuate Popular Towson Bar
TOWSON, Md. (WJZ)—A massive fire ripped through a popular bar in the heart of Towson, forcing evacuations of several nearby buildings.
Adam May has more.
A kitchen fire grew out of control at the Charles Village Pub in downtown Towson, sending diners to the streets for safety.
“It’s sure enough engulfed in flames, smoke out windows, a huge crowd, the streets blocked, there’s firemen from all angles climbing in the windows and spraying,” said Evan Glaser, Towson senior.
Crews called for backup– landing 25 trucks and 100 firefighters on the scene. One volunteer firefighter suffered minor injuries in a fall.
“It’s a very tough fire because it’s close to other exposures, so we’re making sure the fire didn’t spread to other buildings,” said Lynn Mullahey, fire director.
Fire officials say the restaurant is destroyed, disappointing to Towson University students who frequent the bar.
“During the summer it’s awesome, great music. People chilled in the backyard,” said Cory Granat. “It’s gonna be missed.”
The fire is now under control. Witnesses say several buildings were evacuated, including the Towson Commons Movie Theater.