CHEVERLY, Md. (AP) — Prince George’s County Police say a food processing plant in Cheverly has been evacuated due to an ammonia leak.
Fire department spokesman Mark Brady said in a release that emergency crews responded to the Smithfield Packing Company about 12:15 a.m. Tuesday. He says officials discovered that a pipe connected to a 100-gallon container of anhydrous ammonia had developed a leak.
The caustic chemical has a sharp, suffocating odor and exposure to high levels of it can cause death from a swollen throat or chemical burns to the lungs.
Brady says about 100 employees of the company were forced to leave the building.
Hazmat crews cleared the scene about 4:30 a.m. No injuries were reported.
(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)