Animal Abuse Task Force Wants Retrial In Dog Burning Case

BALTIMORE (WJZ)—A mistrial has not put an end to the case of Phoenix the dog. There is a new effort to get justice for the pit bull.

Weijia Jiang reports from where a meeting on this issue was held Wednesday.

A task force says they will continue to be passionate and vocal toward the state’s attorney to let him know a conviction in this case would be the most powerful tool to combat animal abuse.

Phoenix was euthanized after being doused with gasoline and set on fire, and whoever is responsible for what happened to the pit bull is still free.

The case against twin brothers Travers and Tremayne Johnson, who were accused of starting the fire, ended with a mistrial. Now animal activists are pushing for a new one.

“If there were to be a retrial, it would show our commitment that we aren’t tolerating these types of crimes and that we take these felonies seriously,” said Caroline Giffin, task force chair.

At the top of the agenda for Baltimore’s Anti-Animal Abuse Task Force’s monthly meeting is  a lengthy discussion about the trial. Even without a conviction, the group considers it a landmark case.

“We’ve never had an animal abuse case in the city of Baltimore that has been tried for that length of time. We’ve never had a jury that has deliberated for that length of time,” said an animal rights advocate.

“I feel like this is not a defeat at all,” said another advocate. “It’s a benchmark time, as I mentioned to some folks, as we move on from here on out. “

The task force was established as a direct response to Phoenix’s death, sparking an international dialogue about animal cruelty. Members say that, too, is a victory.

“She has become this enduring symbol and has literally become the face of animal cruelty,” Giffin said.

In fact, there’s a growing petition online, urging for a retrial. The hundreds of signatures are from around the world, including Austria, Germany, India, the UK—turning the tragedy in Baltimore into a global fight.  To sign the petition, click here.

“As awful as it is, that the case came out the way it came, we do know that she brought about change for us,” said an employee at BARCS, the animal shelter that cared for Phoenix.

The gag order issued in this case remains in effect. The State’s Attorney’s Office says they can’t comment whether there will be a new trial or not as they continue to evaluate the evidence and what happened in the courtroom.

The task force is expanding into a permanent city commission. It will double in size within two months.

Comments

1. Carolyn Holden-Loar says:

could somone please post the site to sign that petition

2. lynn hunovice says:

I’d like to sign this petition and don’t know where to find it on line. Please advise
    wilovice@comcast.net

1. Lisa Stilli says:

I STARTED THIS PETITION 2 DAYS AGO. THANKS TO WJZ AND WEIJIA JANG FOR REPORTING THIS STORY AND SHARING THE LINK IN THE EMAIL. PLEASE SIGN AND FORWARD TO ALL YOU KNOW.

2. betsy says:

Please put the link on your FB page or use any other way to get this out there.. Thanks Lisa.. Hopefully Phoenix will get justice

3. lynn hunovice says:

In addition to re-trial and possible conviction of the twins, I’d like to have an up-date on Michael Vick’s efforts to denounce dog fighting. I was under the impression that he had early release from prison and employment with the Pa. Eagles contingent upon his commitment to speak out against dog fighting. I have not heard anything that he has personally done to honor this commitment, I did hear that the Eagles, not Vick, donated money to some animal welfare cause.

1. nancy says:

I did not mean to hit report comment…wrong button….I totally agree with lynn. He was convicted for dog fighting but not animal abuse. He is an animal himself for torturing those dogs in the pool. Not many people know about that.

2. laura says:

Please don’t hold your breath on that one! He’s not sorry he’s sorry he was caught and it cost him millions. Another perfect example of our imperfect justice system.

3. ron says:

he has spoken at several youth centers across the united states ever here you idiot. look nobody cares about dog fighting but you white people. stop whinning and complaining the boys got off

1. DOGMA says:

RON I AM SICK OFYOUR WHITE PEOPLE COMMENTS HOW ABOUT YOU LIGHTING YOURSELF UP AND SHUTTING THE F—UP. tHEY ARE NOT OFF MAYBE OFF THEIR ROCKER’ YOU ARE NOTHING BUT AN A– HO–
        YOU ARE A NKNOW NOTHING UNEDUCATED LOSER. IF IT WASN’T FOR THE WORKING WHITE PEOPLE YOU WOULD NOT EVEN BE ABLE TO SURVIVE UNLESS YOU ROB AND STEAL SO PUT A CORK IN IT UNLESS YOU HAVE SOMETHING EDUCATED TO SAY WHICH IS VERY DOUBTFUL

2. ANIMAL says:

RON I HOPE THA POLICE SEE YOUR COMMENT ABOUT GOING TO A DOG FIGHT A LOCK YOUR BLACK ASS UP

3. junkyard says:

Wow, if a white person commented about a black person the way you just did it would be all over the news and everyone would be crying “prejudice” etc etc etc. But, oh no, let someone make a comment about a white person the way you did ron and they are supposed to sit back and take it.. Again, another prime example of reverse discrimination

4. www.AwarenessHelps.info says:

I will never forgive him. I consider myself to “forgive and forget” but when it comes to animal abuse or even child abuse I just can’t do it. You just cannot look at the person the same way. And I don’t agree with the HSUS working with him to be an advocate against dogfighting. He is not going to change.

1. ron says:

well thats your dumbness and you are narrow minded. but let me guess you will forgive someone for killing a human. you people really are stupid putting a amimal life over a human life. look its a dag on dog who cares go buy another one. that man paid his debt now he is back doing what he love and you people hate it that he gets a second chance at life to make it right and he is doing good. but you are okay with a killer getting out and getting a second chance. go sit down somewhere, and dogfighting will never stop, matter of fact i am going to a dog fight this weekend, do you want to be my date llllsssss

5. lois says:

I liked to see money spent on other pressing city issues like not laying of prople or property taxes. How about that? You fixated people out there. Get a life!

1. Bc Icedog says:

just had 2 comment 2 you Lois- there are plenty of us fixated ppl out here fighting against animal abuse/torture on behalf of all the idiots like you. If you did some research you would know that animal abuse is linked to all serious crimes particularly crimes against women and children. What more pressing issues are there (your property tax?) Animal abuse is linked to serious psychiatric disorder such as suggested by this case. These individuals are also charged with attempted murder in separate incident. Miami Dade in a pilot project cracked down on all animal abuse and reported a significant reduction in all crime in general thus saving the tax payers money. More progressive states are now considering a National animal abuse database for multidisciplines to cross-reference.

4. urnotfunny says:

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.

“Mahatma Gandhi”

1. www.AwarenessHelps.info says:

I love this quote! I am proud to have it posted on my website. Thank you for having compassion.

1. urnotfunny says:

You’re welcome! We should always try to defend, the defenseless. I love my animals, matter of fact, they are so much better than alot of humans.

5. Lisa Stilli says:

I STARTED THIS PETITION YESTERDAY!!! IT ACTUALLY MADE THE NEWS!! SIGN, SHARE AND REPOST!!! LET’S GET JUSTICE FOR PHOENIX!

1. www.AwarenessHelps.info says:

Thank you so much! I hope this will make the difference!

1. ron says:

it wont, why dont you all call peta down here so we they can pickett in front of the courthouse lolll

2. Matthew Don Pablo Curtian says:

This guy Ron needs to be caught. If there is anyway that WJZ can help in finding him please let the police know. I know they have the new Internet task force out there looking at stuff like this.

2. whiteandproudofit says:

Your petition is awsome, I just got everyone I work with to sign it!!!! great job!

6. Heartwings says:

When you sign this petition please be aware you will automatically be signed up for alerts & emails from the hosting site and the link in your first email (that you assume you can use the delete your account) is a dead link. To delete your account go to: http://www.care2.com/accounts/delete_this_account.html . I am sorry I did not know about that when I posted the petition link. I HATE such sites that automatically sign you up for an account and emails and then make it difficult to close that account that you might not have wanted in the first place.

1. Donna says:

you do not have to sign up for emial alerts. Simply uncheck the boxes

7. justice for phoenix says:

I say let them go untill one goes to jail for trying to kill a human,o wait one is all ready there

8. Kimberly Dixiemom White says:

signing the petetion is SAFE and I have signed many of them for our abused animals. Any emails I don’t want I hit DELETE !!!! This is not about that ….it is about JUSTICE FOR PHOENIX . We must put an end to violence against our animals and the sub human trash doing it WALKING AWAY FREE. Phoenix is gone but we honor her memory in fighting for justice.

1. ron says:

look too bad for phoenix wrong place wrong time lollll
      the boys got off and all you dumb dog lovers and white people are mad. so just get over it

1. www.AwarenessHelps.info says:

You are the perfect example of the kind of people we DON’T need in the world!! Where is your compassion?? It is just awful that you think like this.

2. spoda says:

Shut up BOY!!!

3. urnotfunny says:

Ron – You are nothing but a piece of ghetto trash, just like the two who got off for killing that innocent animal. YOU are what’s wrong with the world.

9. Amanda Plaine says:

@ ron, just please shut up it’t not about white and black moron it’s up about animail abuse it has been proven time and time again that serial killers start off with animals and just they will be in jail for committing murder against a human oh wait my bad one is already awaiting trial for attempted murder, please if stop posting your stupid comments unless you actually know what the hell you are talking about

1. ron says:

please show me where it says serial killers start off with animals. your people is always looking for something to blame anything on. people kill because they want to you idiot. look i dont care about dog fighting, why waste more tax money retrying this case again moron llol

1. dogma says:

ron I would rather waste MY money on this than support a LOW LIFE like you

2. ron says:

@dogma well unfortunately i probably make a little more money than you so that wont help me buddy. as far as a low life you on here whinning about some dog. get a life lollll

3. dogma says:

ron i seriously doubt your making more than I but your mouth is more than mine and your intelligence is less

4. ron says:

trust me buddy i do make more than you. i will put my houses on that. now back to you. what are you doing tomorrow. will you be attending the festivities lls

5. DOGMA says:

RON WHY IN THE HELL WOULD I WANT A SECTION 8 HOUSE THAT IS IN ALL LIKEY HOOD RAT INFESTED—YOU POOR UNDER PAID ASS

10. Lisa Stilli says:

AGAIN, FOR THOSE THAT ARE WORRIED..I SET UP THE PETITION. I GET NO ALERTS..UNCHECK THE BOX. THE PETIITION SITE IS SAFE. THAT IS WHY I USED IT!

11. Lisa Stilli says:

Dear Ron and whomever else is not sure ~ This letter means no disrespect. You asked a question and here is just one answer of statistics of Animal Abuse escalating to further violence. In addition, you may be aware that one of the Johnson Boys is currently incarcerated on Attempted Murder Charges of a human being. Please run their names through Maryland Judiciary Case Search to see their lists of charges. In the meantime, here is a report you may be interested in: http://www.hg.org/article.asp?id=8011

12. Lisa Stilli says:

Another reports of Animal Abuse escalating to Human Abuse: http://www.customessaymeister.com/customessays/Criminology/8094.htm

1. urnotfunny says:

Lisa – Please do not lower yourself to an uneducated POS like Ron and try to give him correct statistics. He’s being the biggest A-Hole that ever lived and obviously cares about nothing but his own hatred for animals.

13. moleman says:

Waste of time & I’m not apathetic. Baltimore is a predominately black city. Look at the crimes these thugs commit. The last case concerning the burning of the animal was completely a joke, sleeping uninterested arrogant jurors were not going to convict these two POS so let them have there own city. Wall it & let them kill off each other with dirges & HIV. I have no time for these coons.

14. Amanda Plaine says:

@ ron please just shut up you’re a moron oh yeah & why don’t you learn proper English. You make me disgusted with your ignorant, racisit & ridiculous comments. your a pos just like those two that got away with this

15. willie man hanging says:

Hey Ron, You & the other porch monkeys in Baltimore would never have the courage alone to do what they do to dogs, or humans. Little people & minds like yours are the equivalent of a huge pile of s…t……Real big & in numbers is their strength. Gangs because they lack intelligence & any resolution skills so therefore act like monkeys in a jungle or lions. A pack of roving coons looking like turds to the real world.

1. ron says:

you sound really dumb willie. for one gangs are for loosers, thats why yall have the clan, a prejudice gang that cant stand alone and are afraid of black people. the name calling is funny. how about we meet for a drink

16. Willie man hanging says:

Ron, where did you attend university? Coppin, Morgan? Nothing but a state subsidized coon institution warehousing Porch monkeys off the street.

1. ron says:

nah i went to university of virgiinia where all you crackers go. they treated me good and like you all are scared of black people.

17. shut up says:

Okay, seriously, stop egging “ron” on. he’s just a bored, lonely little turd living in his mom’s basement trying to get attention.

ron, dear, i’m sorry no one in your real life is giving you then attention you so desperately crave. perhaps try joining match.com and find a friend, or go read a f-ing book or something. this isn’t the way to make friends you dimwit.

1. urnotfunny says:

AWESOME!!

18. Squaregrouper says:

Ron is a TROLL. He is probably a 19yo white guy living at his parents house and is doing a real good job of getting everyone fired up.

1. Diane King says:

That’s what I think too. He must be a troll the way he deliberately makes anti-social statements that he knows will get people fired up.

19. whiteandproudofit says:

lol Ron is quite the uneducated moran isn;t he.. Ron really,your making your race look dumber look dumber by the second.

20. ron says:

for one dogma your cracker @ss couldnt afford where i live at buddy. the good white people in my neighborhood dont like white trash like you or your buddies. we keep your kind out lollll

1. Matthew Don Pablo Curtian says:

Oh so You live under the railroad tracks? Wow. Pricey for a drug dealer isn’t it?

21. whiteandproudofit says:

Wow you go ron keep trying to make yourself sound rich and cool. You are ignorant trash.

And don’t get mad at Dogma just b/c they tell it how it is

1. ron says:

what i am not mad at dogma at all, i am having fun going back and forth with you guys. this is making my day go faster loll but i am not rich, very comfortable though. but enough about that you cracker, its still on. i dont care what none of you hill biillies say, you still are racist piece of sh@t

22. Billiam says:

At the end of the day, and at the end of all the posts here, it’s not up to us to decide if it gets retried or not. It’s not up to us to decide who is a racist and who isn’t, who is a piece of anything in this world, and most of all, who is to judge one person or another. Don’t “feed” the animals carries more than one meanig in the world today. Whether it’s someone setting a dog on fire because they have nothing better to do wtih their time, whether it’s someone falling off a roof because he chose to run from the police, or whether it’s someone beating an African-American senseless for no reason, at the end of the day, these punks have chosen to leave their lives they way they do. I can only hppe the criminal justice system, or what’s left of it, will do the right thing to the best of it’s ability. There’s a new “sheriff” in town, so let’s see what happens. But please – don’t get on here in a rant just because you don’t like the comments of another. In other words, “don’t feed the animals.”

1. ron says:

right on billie boy

2. Diane King says:

Finally a commentary that makes sense.

23. whiteandproudofit says:

wow Ron you’re totally one of those people that just has to have the last word or you just can’t stand it lol wow your impressive.

1. ron says:

um what are you talking about clansman

24. whiteandproudofit says:

If anyone has anymore Information about this ron guy please contact wjz or the baltimore police and place a complaint. I have already done so. People like that need to be in jail.

25. Heather says:

This Ron guy really needs to shut up. he has no clue what he is talking about and is obviously not a person that has any moral values. It seems like he is supporting the fact that these kids are able to go free, and not be punished for sensless acts of violence. These kids will become murderers. So if Ron supports this he should probably be in jail with them. And Doggfighting is a serious crime wjz should report this. If anyone knows who this person is, they should be reported to wjz or police.

26. Heather says:

WJZ YOU SHOULD BE REPORTING PEOPLE LIKE RON IN THE NEWS OR THE POLICE !!!!!!!!!!! THESE PEOPLE SHOULD BE IN JAIL.

27. Liz says:

It’s too bad that your petition is furnished by a service that insists on being able to bother signatories with whatever online communications they want to and the signatories cannot opt out of receiving these communications. But for that, I would be happy to sign it. But it isn’t worth getting any more damn spam mail.

28. Areal says:

I Think The Courts Should put Them To Death For doing that to a Dog. They must be so weak to catch a Poor innocent Dog on Fire. They are a poor excuse for the black raise. And everybody wonders Why The Breed of Pitbulls are so mean these day It isnt because of the Animal It is Because Of there ANIMAL OWNER and that is a FACT.. MAKE JUSTICE HAPPEN FOR PHONEX

29. John says:

Yes white people seem to ahve a little more common sense when it come to empathy, we have it… that’s why most , if not all of it come from the black race get off welfare and get a job… and stop selling drugs on the street that also contribute to murder….

30. chris raab says:

Animal Abuse Task Force Wants Retrial In Dog Burning Case
    February 9, 2011 10:00 PM

Print Share 80
    Reporting Weijia Jiang

BALTIMORE (WJZ)—A mistrial has not put an end to the case of Phoenix the dog. There is a new effort to get justice for the pit bull.

Weijia Jiang reports from where a meeting on this issue was held Wednesday.

At the top of the agenda for Baltimore’s Anti-Animal Abuse Task Force’s monthly meeting is a lengthy discussion about the trial. Even without a conviction, the group considers it a landmark case.

In fact, there’s a growing petition online, urging for a retrial. The hundreds of signatures are from around the world, including Austria, Germany, India, the UK—turning the tragedy in Baltimore into a global fight. To sign the petition, click here.

31. chris raab says:

please stop this from happening and re try these 2 cruel ruthless ppl !!!!!!!

32. sunsankqs says:

Thank you for this brilliant and advantageous webpage. Let me talk about it with my friends and also I’ll come back once again to visit alot more fascinating facts.

33. Dyday says:

buy a usa coach , for special offer at my estore

34. oceakarkavous says:

Here is my comment for such a fantastic post.
    What an excellent post, changed my anti-commenting approaches. I will try and drop a comment here much more within the future.
    Wonderful post and it is definitly worth a comment from me. You might have earned a loyal fan.
    The minute i see you might have a new post i usually rush over here, even though i haven’t posted a comment to say thanks til now, i love your posts. Thanks!
    I can not argue with the great content your blog has to offer and therefore I want to say thanks