Big Deer Hunt Scheduled For Howard County

ELLICOTT CITY (WJZ)—Next week, sharpshooters will be in the woods in Ellicott City to reduce an overpopulation of deer.

Some homeowners tell Suzanne Collins they’re adamantly opposed to that plan.

Some Ellicott City homeowners are posting pink signs in the wooded area where they live that say “Valentine’s Day Deer Massacre.”

“They don’t need to do it right now, and they don’t need to do it this close to all the residents,” said Brenda Gaigler. “If they didn’t build so much in Howard County, the deer would have some place to go.”

On Monday in this forested area, the local government will send out sharpshooters to kill deer to reduce their population.

“There’s ice on the ground right now,” said Ken Gaigler.  “I don’t care how great a marksman you are, all it takes is one slip. A bullet can hit that ice and come right into my house.”

Howard County Parks and Recreation counted deer with thermoimaging and say there’s 12  times the desirable number. The sharpshooters are state-certified.

“They are established in very specific shooting locations,” said John Byrd, Recreation and Parks.“They have a zone of fire they’re required to maintain strict safety measures all around for the program.”

Howard County Parks and Recreation says the overpopulation of deer will create a lack of vegetation from the ground to about 5 feet high and say that could create a danger to the survival of other wildlife. They add there is risk to foxes, birds and other animals, and if the vegetation goes, invasive plants can move in.

But one opponent believes the hunt is on after newcomers complained about deer damage.

“They have moved here into nature,” said Helen Baratny. “They like nature but they don’t like the reality of nature, and that is that deer live here, and they will come and eat their shrubs.”

The hunt will be done from around 3 p.m. to 10 or 11 p.m. Monday. The county says it will be monitoring the periphery to be sure people don’t wander in the woods.

Another shoot is scheduled on March 10 in the same wooded area.

1. Joe G. Landeros says:

Move Them. Dont kill the Deer.

1. Deerslayer says:

Great point Amy – people don’t realize that MD has a feed the hungry program using harvested deer. All the people who think hunting is inhumane – go visit a slaughter house where the animals have zero chance of survival – I respect people who kill their own food and don’t have someone else kill it for them so they can buy it in a grocery store and pretend it was never alive to begin with…

1. Jack says:

Ellicott City is literally next to a 16,043 acre park called PATAPSO VALLEY STATE PARK. Ever heard of it? If you don’t like deer- then move away from the park and into the city and GET LOST! If you have some sick addiction to killing innocent animals in their natural habitat- then become a hunter! But just be sure to stay out of my back yard! Because I don’t appreciate ‘nature haters’ killing off my favorite neighbors- the deer.

2. Deerslayer says:

I’ve dragged them out of the woods, they are not that easy to move…

2. icare says:

Why do we always have to resort to violence?? Ever hear of deer contraception? Deer aren’t the issue here. I think the deer in all cases are used as scapegoats to justify the need for a hunt while the real issue is that the human population needs to be controlled. |

1. Dustin says:

Nobody wants to face the fact that people are the real problem, not the deer or the hunters who kill them. People have built too much and have destroyed nature- and now the deer have nowhere to go, and are forced into our gardens and roads and properties. Is this what we call, “Going Green”? Well, if by ‘Going Green’ you mean that Howard County is making a ton of cash by selling it’s wooded areas to greedy real estate investors- then yes, Howard County is ‘going green’. But I assure you, that the deer and the rest of nature is Going- to die. If it’s not killed by the hunters, it’ll be by the tractors and construction workers. Goodbye nature, nice knowing you!

3. Amy says:

Kill the deer and give the meat to homeless shelters all over Maryland. Two problems solved!!

1. icare says:

I am having trouble understanding how a woman could care less about the suffering of animals? Where is your compassion?

1. femalehunter says:

I’m having trouble understanding how you can think just because Amy is a woman she cares more about animals than people. Where is your compassion? You are willing to let deer suffer over population and starvation just because you dont think its right? Harvested deer meat is donated to homeless shelters throughout Maryland, try having a little compassion for your fellow humans!

2. Sparrows Point Deer Hunter says:

I agree 100%

3. Bill says:

How about, don’t live in a wooded area if you don’t like nature?

4. Walt says:

icare ever hit one with your car..Try it if you live you’ll understand why..I have hit one and a friend has hit 2..I had a van he had a truck might have been different if we drove a little car..Deer meats better for you anyway..Amy’s right,and they dont suffer when shot with a high powered rifle and hit right..What if we raised deer instead of cows..Then we would be wrong shoting cows…GOTTA EAT…

1. icare says:

No, I have not..(knocks on wood). I am always looking for animals when I drive. I know some accidents can’t be prevented but it helps if you’re aware that they are around, especially at night. Proud to say I’ve never had deer meat. Yes, if you kill them instantly is always best but what is the % for this? BTW, I haven’t had meat in 13 years and I’m still going strong. I’m living proof that you don’t need meat.

1. tylerjake says:

who cares about you icare?! In your world, everyone should do as you do! That’s not how a free society works! Maybe you should instead concern yourself with the people that are hunted and massacred in B’more everyday and leave the deer to the other hunters!

5. Zac says:

Animals are on this earth to be eaten or work. We need to realize this. Letting them overpopulate means they will not have enough food and starve to death. So your compassion is causing them a slower death. They would normally have natural preditors but our communities don’t like animlas that kill so we got rid of them. Now you have to be nature for the dear.

1. icare says:

You may be right but just because it has been this way for eons doesn’t mean you have to go along with it. In most cases where animals and people collide, a violent method is mostly used to solve the problem which is not right. Co-existing is possible but people have to have their minds in the right place.

Deer contraception is a humane method to deal with this problem.

1. idont says:

So you are willing to risk human safety to inject deer with a contraceptive? You may want to watch an episode or two of “when nature attacks” before you recommend people risking their lives. They’re not all bambi’s, they attack when they feel threatened and should not be taken lightly

2. Red Lobster says:

Then why does the cholesterol in them plug up our arteries and kill us? Meat eating animals do not suffer from the effects of cholesterol because they were meant to eat meat. If we humans were meant to eat meat, why would cholesterol (that is only found in products from animals) make us sick and kill us? Simple logic!

The deer are suffering because we have eliminated many of their habitats and also the animals that normally prey on deer because they were hunted until their numbers are now not sufficient to control the deer population. Nature does very well taking care of this planet, Man does not.

To say an animals does not suffer when hit by a hunter’s bullet or arrow that does not immediately kill them is wrong. Even the best of marksmen does not hit the bullseye all the time and many animals are struck and only wounded, to limp off and perhaps suffer for days or even weeks before they die. If you do not believe me, please let me put a bullet or arrow through your leg and then get back to me in a week or two.

Most people hunt because they somehow think it is a “sport” and they enjoy killing. They may eat the meat and have the poor animal’s head stuffed and put it above to mantle to let everyone know that are an a@@hole hunter, but they did not shoot it because they were hungry, they shot it because it was “fun”. 91% or hunters are male and 96% are White (source: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service) – Humm, what does that tell you? Hunting is on the decline, I hope it is soon illegal, although I would not be opposed to creating a preserve where hunters could hunt pedophiles, rapists, drug dealers, gang bangers, etc. and each other until they are all extinct. They could put it right next to the huge lot where drunk drivers try to hit and kill one another.

3. OldEllicott says:

Animals are to be eaten or work? Why because some FICTION novel written by MAN tells you that? God didn’t write the Bible. 2000 years ago environmental concerns were a little different than they are now. They are only overpopulated because all of their habitat is being destoryed…

4. John says:

Who is to say that there is an overpopulation of deer? I live in a wooded area, with plentiful deer- and the deer are not a problem. People seem to hate nature these days, kill it every chance they get- for no reason at all. If you don’t like deer, don’t live in a wooded area. If you like hunting deer for food- become a hunter. But please don’t hunt in my back yard!

6. imo says:

There already is a hunting area less than 1/2 mile from the area the are going to hunt. It was said to the neighbors that they are doing this just to please the community. I know there will be critics but I would love to bring their natural predators back. But fluffy and fufu would have to think before going outside.

1. OldEllicott says:

Exactly… The hunting area on College ave that now has its own PARKING AREA!!! And your last sentence sums up the whole problem with everyone today…Someone would have to THINK before going outside…!

1. imo says:

Thank you! Us humans can only think about ourselves. And they have a picnic table now I see. But that is the whole point, there is already hunting in a safer area on joining streets, but the county guy says ‘they stay in the same area and don’t go over to the hunting area’ What do they walk in circles all day? Deer are consistanly moving how can they not be going over there?

7. Jamie Brown says:

Deer meat is healthier then Beef. Also if you saw the Slaughter houses for pig and cattle you would be more upset than an experienced hunter taking a precise shot. I thank God for allowing me to be able to provide meat for my family.

1. Red Lobster says:

And God thanks you by creating cholesterol to clog up your arteries and kill you.

Humm, wasn’t it God that said “Thou shalt not kill”???

Is everyone out there hunting experioenced and a precise shot? Can’t anyone old enough buy a hunting license?

1. Tree-hugger says:

God did not say that in reference to animals.

8. imo says:

Deer meat is actually very high in cholestrol. Jamie you are definitely right about the slaughter houses. I would rather eat an animal that has been hunted than a factory farmed animal.

1. guardog says:

deer meat is very low in cholestrol

1. imo says:

doctor gave me a list of foods to stay away from because of cholestrol, venison was high on the list. I will believe my doctor over you.

9. killemall says:

How can I sign up for this job??????

1. wehunt says:

I want in on this to where do we sign up

10. wehunt says:

I hope there not paying them I know 20 people will do it for free and can do it with a bow

11. Stickbender says:

This is so laughable! Imo, check your facts about that cholesterol thing. You are wrong! Red Lobster, I’m proud to be an a@@hole hunter. Hunting has been handed down for several generations in my family. I’m 65, and I hope I can hunt for many more years. My dad is 87, and he got his gun out for deer season again this year. Go dad! I’m sorry I only harvested four deer this year, because my freezer is not full. By the way Red Lobster, I’d bet my last dollar that you don’t eat you blue crabs or lobster raw. Imo, for your information, there are natural predators in your area. Coyotes, foxes, and bobcats prey on fawns and injured animals. However, they also like little doggies and kitties, as you pointed out. Joe, you may move them out, but they’ll be back tomorrow. Are you going to pay for that 10 foot high fence? That would be about as cost effective as contraception. I’d like to join wehunt with my friends. Why should the “professionals” have all of the fun?

12. Jonathan Hinson says:

Hi, I was just wondering what will happen to all the deer that are harvested?

1. Dave says:

Uh, you harvest wheat… these deer are being slaughtered by this “shoot”. It seems they have no plan to deal with the deer that are only maimed and not killed by the “sharpshooters” who do miss sometimes and we can only pray they do not slip up, as someone pointed out and shoot into a nearby home.

You don’t like deer, live downtown. Nature maintained animal populations just fine until man started messing with them. When does open season on redneck hunters start?

1. OldEllicott says:

I’m with you Dave…

2. Educated says:

You also harvest deer meat. I love that you said “it seems they have no plan…”, it “seems” that way because you dont know what you’re talking about! What evidence backs your statement “Nature maintained animal populations just fine until man started messing with them”? Have you ever heard of Hunters For The Hungry? Open up that little mind of yours and learn something, I promise it wont kill you!

3. imo says:

hey I know rednecks that are opposed to bait and kill🙂 really, I am a bit red myself! it is the soccermom suburbaknights that are upset about their shrubs. That is the reason, they complained during the blizzard last year, that came directly from the county hunt planner himself.

2. imo says:

the sharpshooter that hired himself out for the hunt will take the meat back to his church’s freezer, that is what I heard anyway

13. Red Lobster says:

I am a vegetarian. The name came because I have a medical problem that causes my face to be flushed most of the time and I look like I have a bad sunburn…red as a lobster.

Just because your ancestors did something does not make it right or necessary. You put your deer meat in a freezer??? OMG!!! Your great great grandfather did not have a freezer, did he? Why aren’t you preserving your deer meat like your ancestors did? So, you still go out and kill deer for fun like the ancestors but you use a freezer to keep it in? Do you drive to hunt and haul the carcass back? What? Cars are not traditional! Some traditions need to die, we have supermarkets where there are plenty of fruits, vegetables and grains to eat; there is no longer a need for people to eat meat.

You are correct about venison having less cholesterol than beef, but both are unhealthy foods containing large amouts of bad cholesterol.

I wonder if there are fewer predators to keep the deer population naturally controlled because a@@hole hunters kill them???? Since any Billy Bubba can toss back a six pack, grab his rifle,get in his pick ’em up truck and go huntin’, we can only hope some of them shoot one another. Better start diggin’ a hole in the back yard because your ancestors didn’t have indoor plumbing! ROTFLOL

1. tylerjake says:

Spoken like a true Communist, says the RED Lobster…perhaps red is to symbolize his true communist beliefs?

2. Meateater says:

There are pretty hefty fines for drinking while hunting, you may want to do your homework before you run your mouth. And another area you are wrong is that people dont need to eat meat, false. I am severely anemic and was told by my doctor only red meat would give me the iron I needed for my body to function properly. Believe what you want, dont tell others they are wrong because they disagree!

14. Stickbender says:

Red Lobster, We are really lucky that we live in a nation where one can have preconceived notions about someone or a group, and people don’t get upset about it. Sorry about your medical condition. My face is red most of the time also, because I inherited it from my mother’s Dutch father who just happened to be a hunter. You picture hunters as a bunch of alcoholic, ignorant fools. Some are. Maybe you’ve been watching too much TV. I happen to have 60 hours beyond my Masters Degree, and ALL of the people, male and female, that I hunt with have college degrees. By the way, how did my ancestors preserve their meat? I really don’t know, except for what my grandparents taught my parents. I do know that my grandfather had an ice house. Also did you forget that indoor plumbing has been around since ancient Roman times? Oh well, you eat what you want, and so will I! Keep smiling. It makes people wonder what you’re up to. Maybe that’s where the preconceived notions come from!
    PS I’m not a hunter. I’m a Wildlife Population Control Specialist!

15. imo says:

Fact: hunting also increases the poplulation. does will have twins and triplets now instead of a single fawn
    I am not against hunting for food, just stating a fact about population.

16. Diane says:

You all sound so pathetic. The hunters sound like killers and the vegetarians sound like a bunch of hippies. Bottom line is we live in money hungry county who wants to tear down trees and get riid of precious land to build houses only for them to eventually go into foreclosure because the greedy people who buy them really can’t afford them!!! So now the poor animals don’t have enough land to live on so they are going to be killed!!!! Thats is so sad!

1. imo says:

Exactly, the county strips the land of any vegation before they start building, then plant a row of yearling trees and puts up signs “Forest Restoration Area” what a joke.

17. harrythe hammer says:

Deer bring Lyme disease that kills & maims people. Ever think of that ?

1. imo says:

Deer are not the only animal carrying lyme disease, do away with them all?

2. Nightowl says:

Deer don’t cause Lyme disease, ticks do. Deer ticks prey on many animals, including dogs, cats and people.

18. CATHY says:

I agree,they should not do that around populated area,if they did not tear down so much these creatures would have a place to go,They should try to get thwm to go to hight ground,there are to many people to,but we do not get a sharp shooter to kill them,well maybe some of them.We should try to protect these animals,Why would you not want deer in your back yard,I have them and feed them and they leave

19. Hillbilly Willy says:

MMMM I like dear meet? I eat it all da time and aint nottin wrong wit me!

20. Ronald G Miner Jr says:

I love the ignorance of some people. Move them, sterilize them, leave them alone…When they become over populated they become dangerous. They carry lyme disease, they run out in front of cars, they destroy vegetable crops and they become a nuisance. I see the PETA people are here in force…Get over it, the deer need to be thinned out for their own good.

1. OldEllicott says:

Prove it. 12x the nominal population? What is the nominal population? Probably 1 deer per XX acres… So they constantly open new land to development and that XX acre number decreases and decreases. The problem is NOT deer population but over-development.

21. OldEllicott says:

How many of these posters actually live in the area? I live in Old Ellicott City and drive Bonnie Branch Rd and College Avenue every day. I don’t think there are too many deer and would prefer to see more. I’m tired of watching Howard County allow developers come in and use up evey available acre just to increase tax revenue. Maybe if they would leave the woods alone these animals would have a place to go. I defy any of you to point to appreciable evidence in that particular area of TOO DENSE DEER POPULATION. You won’t find it. What you will find is the scars of development. Just wait until they allow Taylor to build 150 units and 2 retirement homes at the current Sheppard Pratt site. Take a good look at what they’ve done to Glenelg. All you hillbillies are missing the point of this article. This is what happens when development and tax money collide with nature. Nature loses every time…

1. imo says:

Exactly, I live on Bonnie Branch and the bait area is directly in the line with my house!
      The funny thing is when Mr. Taylor lived there he would not allow hunting at all. And don’t you love the “Forest Restoration” signs with the 2-3 trees they plant in front of the communities.
      Oh yeah and one of the street names in the new community over there is “Prancing Deer”

22. Kathy Payne says:

This is horrible. The deer need to be respected!!! I am an Ellicott City resident an find this totally upsetting. Please everyone try to stop this. They need to use birth control. Not shooting which is not right in todays world. Once again no one cares and just thinks about the fast answer. Use some sense and stop this now. Control by other means and think and listen to the people who might I add pay taxes and elect people in power so get a clue and find another way. They were here first not the selfish developers and big house hounds. Be civil find another way. Kathy

23. Redneck hater says:

Breaking news! New condoms for deer called “Bo^ers for Bambi”

24. huntfish25 says:

What happen when people don’t allowed hunting. You get over populated animals that the land can’t support and have means car ascendants in the area. I love the word sharpshooter like the army send in a troop of sniper to kill deer, the truth is most likely it the police there kill deer with our taxes money getting pay over time. I don’t know why they can’t have a hunt there with bows or guns. Hunter wills glade pay money to hunt deer there. It a great way for the state to raised money to help people that have damage because of the deer. I do agree they the meat goes to a food bank but hunter will do the same thing.
    See the anti hunter think because hunter not in the woods the deer are safe, they not the government hunt them. There is no defers. Birth control doesn’t work! I don’t care what proof you have the proof it don’t work. There is no way that you can make sure you give the deer there birth control. Let me tell you have a lot of deer there is a lot of ticks and that mean limes. It could take a year before you know you have limes and it will take years to get rid of it. This is my thought on this issue

25. imo says:

We are not against the hunting area that is adjacent to this land. The hunting area that is already there is away from houses. This hunt was brought about by the community complaining because the deer were on their property during the record breaking snow last year. That is what we were told directly from the hunt’s organizer. One baiting area is located in direct line with my house.

1. huntfish25 says:

i know this what happen to sandy point. they allow hunting there you could not walk in to the woods until the sun was up and you have to leave befor 2pm. no hunting if scholl was close and on the week end. you was only allow to hunt 300 yards from and puplice used area that including trails. so you only have a 200 squared place to hunt. any hunter will tell you have tobe in the woods befor day break and after dark. and you have to hunt the thick area which we was not allow. now all these rules from the anti hunting group. they kill 4 deer all year. that winter they brought in sniper ( police on overtime shooting deer at night with spot light). they anti tells every one this why hunting dont work. hunting dont work because nbody ask us how will it work. if we not hunting the problem deer we cant thin them out. you cant tell us to hunt a mile away thensay we not taking care of the problem. we may have to hunt in your back yard into the woods where they live.

1. imo says:

so they must walk in circles all day? got it. and one of the houses are 150 yards away or atleast that is what google maps show.

26. 4rrg says:

I am agreeing with everyone that is opposed to this “bait and kill” mission Howard County representatives are supporting. In today’s economy I don’t want to see my hard-earned tax paying dollars go to this mission. I question why they really need to pay someone when they are allowing hunters to go into the planned local hunting area (less than 1/4-1/2 mile from this “bait and kill”) to hunt. I’m okay with this hunting area as hunters not only help maintain the deer population, but they are away from homeowners and the county is not paying for this (if anything they might be making $!). Also where is integrity with the hunters getting the deer versus this mission Howard County is performing. I’m not sure how they are allowed to bait the deer then KILL them! I will assure you, and I support, if a hunter did this, they would be given a nice fine and maybe jail time. So with my tax dollars I give to this wonderful county each year, I want to voice my opinion and say that I DO NOT WANT MY TAX DOLLARS SPENT ON THIS MISSION!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Spend it on something the county and the people will really benefit from (if you need suggestions on what – why don’t you ask for the publics opinion???) As for the people who moved into the area for the wildlife, and are now upset with the wildlife… just realize that their homes were taken away… so MOVE if you are not happy! I have had scrubs eaten also but you know what?… I just replace them as I understand their homes have been taken away from all the development the county feels is needed. Don’t get me wrong, I really enjoy the extra traffic in the area and the new traffic lights that had to be installed. I really support the growth of the county as it increases my property taxes. BTW… I too heard venison is high in cholesterol. God Bless America!

27. OldEllicott says:

Go buy air-horns and blast them all Monday and Monday evening. Literally just walk outside every 20 minutes and put a couple blasts on the horn… There are ways to combat this. Keep all your lights on and make as much noise as possible in the whole area.

imo, 4rrg and whoever else lives in the area: what is that camera on the left side of college ave about 3/4 up the big hill from bonnie branch? where does it go? I couldn’t believe it when I saw it. It is pointing right directly at the road. WTH?!?!?!?!

1. imo says:

I would not blast horns unless you are on the communities’ side of the woods. You will drive the deer into the woods right to the hunters. The thing to do it to stay quiet so the deer can hear them, also it is suppose to be windy this evening. Deer get very spooked when it is windy, so hope and pray that helps.

28. 4rrg says:

Hello OldEllicott, I will have to check out that camera. My initial guess would be to watch traffic as this is the last of the “7 hills” where everyone crashes (well every teenager/young adult who wants to go for a “trill ride”and not respect the law). Years ago my brother got the news to report this to try and slow traffic down. Just wish I knew when people would learn to drive properly on scenic roads. I almost got hit tonight walking on the road.

Maybe we can play “air-horns” tomorrow. Who wants to start!!! I will be listening for your call🙂 Have a great night!

29. 4rrg says:

oops forgot the “h” in thrill🙂

30. imo says:

THANK YOU HOWARD COUNTY FOR WASTING MY TAX DOLLARS. It felt like dollars falling out of the sky as the helicopter passed over, over, and over my house many times circling. Then they went over to the next hunting area and circled again. It is very expensive to fly those helicopters around like that, you would have thought they were looking for an escaped covict or something like that, no just deer. I wish this county would be my money to better use! Instead of “Norm’s great outdoor hunting expedition”!

1. imo says:

opps, sorry for my typos
      I wish this county would ‘put’ my money to better use! and spelling of convict. oh well…

31. Poursuivant says:

Do any of the anti-hunt people ever venture out of their backyard? Signs of deer overpopulation are everywhere! Ask any mountain biker who rides in any of the Patapsco State Parks. Look at how high the vegetation has been stripped on trees and underlying vegetation denuded of cover. The cute deer you see in your yard that you don’t want shot is not there because it wants to be there. It’s because the deer is so desperate for food that it suppressed it’s natural inclination to avoid humans. Either that or you’re treating them like pets and are not seeing them as wild animals that are part of the food chain. A food chain that’s hopelessly out of whack in terms of balance between the number of deer and acreage available to sustain them.
    Deer birth control and relocation are extremely expensive options that are not economically viable, even in the best of times, for the numbers involved. There are just too many deer period
    As for the people who wrote that others who can’t enjoy nature without hunting should move back to the cities….really? Who do you suppose were there before YOU moved into the county? Until Columbia, Howard County was known as a rural county. Hell, even when I was growing up there in the mid 70’s, a lot of the boys still went to school with Buck 110s strapped to our belts.
    It’s the hunting licenses that help pay to maintain the trees and wildlife you anti-hunt people seem so passionate about protecting. What have you done? If the answer is that you’re a vegan who graze on produce that’s hopelessly out of season here right now, so you rely on vegetables grown many hundreds and even thousands of miles away and transported in ships, planes, trains, trucks and cars that belch smog just so you can feel smug about yourself as you fork up that last mouthful of micro greens…well, you’re not just indulging in a lovely salad, but a heaping mouthful of moral vanity.
    Bon appetit!

32. mike says:

To all who suffer under the delusion think deer are confined to parks and woodlands and property adjacent to all.

Deer are very versatile critters, they are even showing up on
    patches of ‘park land’ in areas that are completely urban. They
    prosper in those small strips of land paralleling state highways.

Two reasons for managing the deal population.

Deer are extremely destructive to vegetation, removing brush
    smaller critters depend up. Browse lines are up to 6 foot high
    and include vegetation and bark, killing off immature trees.

Deer carry deer ticks which in turn carry Lyme disease which
    is now epidemic in many parts of the world including Howard
    County. You don’t know when you have Lyme disease.. it is
    difficult to detect accurately, the tests are not always reliable.

However, when you wake up one morning and can’t move your
    arms and legs, or when you suffer from chronic fatigue which
    makes even the simplest chores difficult, you’ve got lyme disease !!!

And, by the time you notice the symptoms… chances are Lyme
    disease has already distroyed enough of your functionality that
    your will be crippled for years.. if not for life.

Third point about hunting.

A bullet normally kills the deer instantly. They don’t suffer,
    they don’t even know what hit them.

So for all you ‘bambi’ lovers out there, maybe you should
    come up with ‘options’ for dealing with the deer problem.

Most of you run your mouths about the brutality of killing
    deal, but I have yet to see ONE of you jaw jacking idiots
    purchase a park and transport all the deer to that park, feeding
    them during the winter months when they starve.

Like most ‘spoiled americans’ you shoot your mouth off, but
    run away from the problems, leaving them for others to solve
    and then complain about the solutions.

May you watch YOUR children contact Lyme Disease and
    waste away…and I fervently hope you contact it also.

But your attitude about ‘saving bambi’ at all costs should not
    be allowed to expose other people to a dangerous public
    health hazard.

In the meantime… impress me….. post the deeds for the
    hundreds of acres of forest land that you’re going to purchase
    to house your deer. Or show me pictures of that large humane
    cage that you use, and the truck you have to capture and
    transport all those deer to YOUR sanctuary. Or show me the
    bills for money which YOU”VE spent, for hay and winter
    forage and the helicopters or off road vehicles to deliver this
    forage to the deer during the wintertime.

I’ll bet ALL YOU HAVE DONE, is yak yak about how cute Bambi
    is, and how inhumane killing an animal is, while you’re shoveling
    McD burgers down your throat.

So far none of you bambi lovers have impressed anyone, you’re
    part of the problem rather than the solution… so before shooting
    your mouths off… I challenge you to stop being the whiny hypocrites
    which you are…. and do something about the problem.

Donate your money, buy land, pay the taxes on it and keep it
    undeveloped as forest, as a deer sanctuary. Don’t allow your
    soccer moms to turn it into soccer fields, or your little league
    dads to turn it into baseball fields, or your other leagues to destroy
    the deer habitat. You did all that with the old Smith farm on 175
    in Columbia, destroying a natural deer habitat so that it could
    become a public park. You did that at Centennial Park. You
    did that at Long Gate Road off 100.

But whatever you do, stop whining about how terrible the
    problem is while doing nothing to resovle the problem. It
    doesn’t make you look very good to the rest of us..

1. Toooooo Long says:

Long post. Next time make it simple. Kil the excess deer. Do so by the use of hunters who pay a fee to take the deer. We don’t need paid sharpshooters.
      End of story.

Eat meat & salads too.

33. imo says:

This article is NOT about being against hunting. There is hunting already adjacent to this street. It is about the fact that the county will jump through hoops for new communities and their ornamental plants. How about when they build those communties, THEY are the ones who are destroying all the vegetation when they clean-cut the land. If you need a current example of this just ride on Bonnie Branch Road and look at the wonderful job they are doing on new “Bonnie Branch WOODS” community.

34. Poursuivant says:

Funny. The article I read was titled, “Big deer hunt scheduled for Howard County” and how some homeowners are against the idea.
    Somehow, I missed the section about how the county is giving preferential treatment to new housing developments.
    Oh no. Wait. There is one sentence in the entire article from a multi sentence quote about deer being squeezed out. Nothing about clear cutting vegetation though. When I went to J school, I was told, usually, it’s the headline and the beginning of the article that determines the thrust of the piece. Go figure.

35. Jim R says:

There has been a deer management program going on in the Howard County Parks for over 10 years. Now all of the sudden its a problem. Anyone who doesnt think there is a problem should educate themselves on the issue before making assumptions and spouting off about it

36. imo says:

Just because the author did not use all the information does not mean that this is one of the reasons for the upset. Phil Norman told us that personally. He said the new community wants him to take out ALL of the deer. But then again that quote was from him so I do not know if he tells the truth? And clear cutting the land is my observation of how building is done around here now. They take out everything down to the clay soil, how is that not destroying vegetation?