Stink Bugs Make A Comeback In Maryland

BALTIMORE (WJZ) — They’ve been bugging people all winter long. But the Maryland homes Asian stink bugs have been sheltering in are poised to become the launching pads for a full-scale invasion.

Alex DeMetrick reports the attack could hit local crops hard.

For a foreign invader, Asian stink bugs have been making themselves at home all winter in Maryland. For some, it’s been a last stop. But only some.

“I hate those stink bugs. They live all winter.  I’m still picking them out of the house,” said Janet.

“The spring’ll bring a load of ‘em,” said Dennis.

What’s crossed our paths at home will soon be heading back outdoors to mate in massive numbers.

“Some entomologists have been quoted to say it will be biblical. So it will almost be like a plague,” said Dr. Paula Shrewsbury, University of Maryland.

By the end of March, stink bugs will be with us in force, and they’ll come hungry.

What feeds them in the lab will soon be feeding them on Maryland farms. Most fruits and vegetables are vulnerable. And not long after orchards bloom, Asian stink bugs will be arriving.  They did last year.

“We have apple growers in Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia that have lost 80 percent of their crop due to this,” Shrewsbury said. “Growers have had family farms for multiple generations say if we can’t help them control this pest, they may lose their crops.”

That makes this bug more than just a nuisance for Maryland.

It’s believed Asian stink bugs arrived five years ago by cargo container to the Mid-Atlantic. They have no natural predator.

Comments

1. Steve says:

they have no ability to swim, so i throw em in the toilet, and watch em go round and round and away they go

1. Rachael says:

you actually should NOT flush them. they can swim and survive in water. you dont want them in your septic system. You should put them in a cup of soapy water. They cannot survive in the soapy water – but regular water they are fine.

1. J-Dub says:

Yes…make up a solution of soapy water and spray them.

Works great

2. dvh says:

But then they pop back up once the swirling stops!

2. ben says:

they never went away at my house

3. Frank Ivins says:

like Ben I’ve been seeing a couple a month all winter.

4. Donna Garcia says:

They never went away for me. I live in Pa and have had them all winter long. Not as bad as the summer. There seems to be several kinds. And they get mad. And I am going to go mad if they don’t do back to where they came from.

5. marian says:

i, too, still have them. i use my computer spray (the coooold kind) to freeze them after i swatted at one and it came after ME. my cat and dog both run from them after killing one each. i hate those things

6. Mindy says:

They never left my house either. My dog loves them.

7. Zach says:

My Pookie likes belly rubs. Stink bugs DO NOT. Lesson Learned. Now my fingers stink.

8. ron says:

one per day recently

9. lou says:

i know that dish sope and water combind kills them i have noteced that the like light so take a trash can fill with water and sope hook a light up over it thay kill them selfs >note thay still stink the place up but perhaps a toilet freshiner might help with the stink in the water

10. churchlady says:

I use tissues to squash them but sometimes the stink get on my fingers. Isopropal alcahol will cut the stink and then I can wash my hands…

11. Kathryn says:

I keep getting one every couple of days thru the winter. I catch them (FYI stink bugs do not bite or sting) & put them outside and notice that they die right away when it’s cold. Obviously they are coming from somewhere in the house. I do have some large houseplants that summer outside and thought maybe that was where they are coming from? Since they die in the cold, they must be hiding somewhere in the house, however I have never found one, they just seem to appear in the evening, attracted by the light. Does anyone know where they might be hiding in the house or could they be in the soil of the houseplants and crawling or hatching out?

1. janine says:

katheryn i have noticed that they are comen in through batroom vents and heat ducts from the roof they hidse under the shingles on the roof and i found that they work ther way down in to the house byt any means of craxk vent or what ever i was so infested with them last year and i have had one to two every night all winter i hate them and i need some means of how to get rid of them i wish that they would stop talken about them and tell uis how to get rid of them .. anyhow just wanted to anwser your question on how i have found them to get in

12. churchlady says:

The bugs had entered the attics and rooftops of structures. they are attracted to light and seek out a window or lightbulb whenever…We have had 2 to 6 a day the intire winter. My cat locates them for me and i dispose of them asap.

13. TLC says:

I have been killing at least 4 a night – agreed they like the night and the lights. Also, agree soapy water kills them or at least water. They are a nuisance. I haven’t noticed the smell from them as bad as last year though at least not here in Northern Baltimore County.

14. crystal says:

we have them in Kelowna, BC Canada too! very slow movers….

15. LLB says:

They may be here for the cure. Only time will tell~

16. StinkBugWorstEnemy says:

I don’t believe the cold kills them. I believe the bugs go into hybernation as I have witnessed this occurance. I like the tip about the soap and water and I’ll try that. The Stink Bug war is on.

17. sharon says:

yes..they never left my house as well…I’ve had to do an extermination that’s how bad they were; and they do get mad and fly right toward your direction seemingly to attack….I dont think they have very good vision though…ugh-I hate them!!!

18. pigeon says:

Year round nuisance here in Parkville.
    The article states that “they have no natural predators here”. They are from Asia. So what is their natural predator there, if any?

19. Eric says:

Not sure why WJZ is saying they are coming back. They never left. Talked to some people who did remodeling this winter, and these jerk-bugs were behind siding or in the attic or behind shudders. My parents found hundreds of them in their third floor clothing storage room, nestled in their coats and such. Sub-freezing temps will kill them, which is why they are hibernating in all of our houses. To make matters worse, they suck on plants like gigantic aphids when they are active. I hate these frickin bugs. And if you think that’s fun… the only natural predator in the area is the “wheel bug”. Google “wheel bug” and you’ll wonder which is worse.

20. more problems says:

I hate them 2 I wish it was something that could make them go away last summer I couldn’t even enjoy my crabs out on the deck all because of them I have seen a few n my home this winter and I’m afraid of them

21. stephanie says:

I was told by a very wise woman that if you squash them they leave a scent that attracts more and more. I stopped squashing them before they got bad last year and I didn’t have many at home at all. At our shop, we had squashed them and they were out of control and we’ve continued to have them all through the winter just not as bad, but we know it’s coming 400 fold….

22. stephanie Whippo says:

Why isn’t the local, state or federal government stepping up to eradicate this disgusting pest?

1. burns says:

$$$$$$$. Why aren’t they stepping up, firing all the bad cops, hiring all the new road crews, buying new fire stations, cracking down on crime, ect, ect, ect.

23. beverly says:

I too have had them all winter. I have killed them by putting in a plastic bag and freezing them.

24. Marlene says:

They’re not just in the house, we’ve had them in our cars too. I also found one in a lawn chair when I unfolded it.

25. imature says:

They all have digital cameras and wear freaky ski outfits, no matter how hard they try, they are just not cool.

26. Mapotter says:

They like to hide in the folds of curtains…

27. Kryst says:

Just put one out of my house tonight! I think it traveled on my coat from outside and invited its self inside! I wish they would go away A.S.A.P. My cat didn’t even go after that ugly bug!!!

28. Allyson Hess says:

They have been in my house all winter! I keep a plastic disposable cup with part windex and part water. When I see one, I hold the cup up and they usually just jump in. It kills them!

29. Birdie says:

i HATE them!! They are gross, creepy and just a BIG NUISANCE. I have killed some this winter…and NOT looking forward to spring/summer. I dont like the way they fly around all crazy…I dont care that they dont bite or pince…THEY FREAK ME OUT AND I CANT STAND THEM!!😦 Birdie from Parkville

30. Kimberly Schlee Stephens says:

My dog loves them too. Some say that if you kill them (stink bug stink emits) that it causes more to come. I am not sure if this is true. I, too, hate them.

At some point, we need to find something that kills them. Can the county spray for them like they did for the mosquitos with west nile?

1. RS1981 says:

@Kimberly- Yeah according to Wikipedia, I’d read that if you squish them, it leaves an odor causing more to come. My kitten caught one last year and tried to eat it. The next thing I know he’s tearing across the room and winds up on my bed his mouth going a mile a minute as he tries to get the taste out. All I could do was laugh.

31. Kathy says:

I found one crawling on the rim of my (almost) empty beer bottle the other night. I flicked it in and it immediately crawled into what was left. Not enough to drown it but apparantly enough to have it od on the alcohol because a couple minutes later it was belly up. Now to figure out a way to make “beer traps” to keep the away from my strawberries and tomatoes.

1. bugged says:

Beer is too good for the rotten buggers!

32. Keith Burkhart says:

I keep finding them alive…so I redistribute the bug between the window & the window screen. Every few days one or two appear. They buzz too which I hate!

33. Summer Walter says:

Kim, like your idea! We have had them in our house all winter long! My little ones are terrified of them!! I also agree at what point the government can or will step in to help with this problem? Heck, they interfere with everything else!!

34. Sara says:

A company called Sterling Rescue has developed a trap to catch stink bugs, its not on the market yet, but will be available in the lawn and garden section of a store this spring some time. According to their website they are highly effective.

35. pigeon says:

I did some research on these pesky pests. As we all know, they are from Asiatic countries (China, Japan, etc.). Their most natural pedators are wasps – check is out: “The brown marmorated stink bug nevertheless is vulnerable to two viruses. It also is vulnerable to parasitic wasps that are not native to the United States of America. So researchers and scientists are studying the possibility of introducing into the United States of America these effective biological controls of China and Japan.” Just what we need – to bring in something to this country that’s just as deadly to humans as they are to stink bugs. My question – how did China get so many here in the US in just 1 to 2 years? You know that’s what happened ’cause those people aren’t right. and are just down right mean.

36. Lori A. Collins says:

We see a few per month in the house,,,,What is going to be done to kill these things outside when they start invading our world in the spring? I think that they are really tiny little aliens from Mars LOL

37. Lisa Friia says:

my 16 yr old daughters room was infested over the summer,between the window panes.i stripped her room n vacuumed them up.they r back full force.she flushes them in the toilette every single day.she is severly stressed out n ends up in tears due to them crawling on her during sleep.the odd thing is that they only invade her room.why?she’s ready to move out….lol

1. Strube says:

I can help. see us at http://www.stinkbugtrapsonline.com or check us out on facebook.com/stinkbugtraps

38. Nicole says:

Stink bugs are invaiding the hospitals. I work at a local hospital and last year it was a pure nuisance until the point we couldn’t work. It bad part was I am not scared of them but my co-workers are with all the screaming everytime one flies around or its pure existance or just my co-workers bugging me to come get them that my nuisance. They need to do something, One time they were covered on the windows at work, we taped up the windows and they still are coming in so we had to move to another part of the hospital that wasn’t such a sunny side to work. Pure nuisance.

39. RS1981 says:

At my work we were getting them two or three times a day. I would capture them in an empty ibuprofen bottle, then stick the bottle in the freezer at work. Makes a nice little rattle. I had one pop up at home last night, and had an empty ice tea container that I caught it in. I think there may be something in the tea that kills them, because when there’s a few drops left in the bottle, the bug dies usually within 24 hours.

40. SMH says:

I have noticed that if they are on their back, theya re not able to turn back over and eventually will die……..

41. Angelo says:

These bugs were allowed into this country by deregulation of rules pertaining to imported foods. Same reason the chicken in pet food killed animals. We need to put back in place all regulations that Reagan, Clinton and 2X Bush changed to help foreign/multinational corporations to get their trash sold here. Could be the 4 worst presidents ever! They destroyed the middle class, unions that built America’s middle class and this country, upset the pay structure for CEO’s. Before Reagan CEO’s made 30-50 times the floor worker, now they make 5000 times the worker. These bugs are a simple reminder of the terrible things done by these so called leaders of the free world. If your religious, You could say “it’s a reminder from God”.

42. hermanthegerman says:

Nothing good ever came from Asia.

43. Michelle Stein says:

I used a swifer sweeper sprayed the pad with a bleach spray and wiped the upper walls and saw no more for a long time. NOt sure this is why but seemed to work.

1. Strube says:

You don’t have to wait till july! Our traps work excellent inside your home.. see us at http://www.stinkbugtrapsonline.com or check us out on facebook.com/stinkbugtraps

44. Judith says:

Not a problem at my dwelling.

They only infest dirty abodes.

1. larrybigdic says:

Judy, Try looking up your dirty ass & you’ll see a whole family.

45. Becca says:

mann. so I’m not the only one! those stupid stink bugs ALWAYS find a way in! I think that it’s a good thing they are going to cut there population!🙂

46. Scott says:

Some websites are recommending PERMETHRIN for indoors and CYPERMETHRIN for outdoors. Does anyone know anything about these pestisides? Will it really work?

47. Jason says:

They taste pretty good…

48. Jason says:

Yummy,roasted stink bugs,i think i’m on to something here.

49. cha cha says:

We better hope that these stink bugs are not part of a army or warfare… Remember when the pilgrims gave blankets with small pocks? I hate these bugs… I am thinking no patio or back yard fun ever… What a waste

50. Isaac Whitaker says:

“no natural predators” – my chickens love them!

51. SueS says:

I sprayed soapy water on my tomato plant which was covered with them, they disappeared, but the plant died too — must have used too much soap!