WJZ #FIRSTWARNINGWX: Flash Flood Watch In Effect For Parts Of Md. Through Friday Morning | Current Conditions | Download The WJZ Weather App

Northbound I-95 Reopens

LAUREL, Md. (AP) — All lanes of Interstate 95 have reopened after being closed for about four hours because of a brush fire that spread into the median of the highway in Laurel.

The highway was closed around 2:20 p.m. and remained closed for more than 4 hours.

Mark Brady with the Prince George’s County Fire Department says firefighters were able to prevent the blaze from spreading any further once it reached the highway.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Comments

1. Melissa Dean Frazier says:

Stay away from this area please! This is for your own sanity. LOL My parents were heading back from Lowes & got stuck on Rte 95 S for at least an hour before they were able to get off onto Rte 198. But they said there are a lot of other roads that are also closed to accommodate for this issue. I sure hope the word gets out so at least some drivers will not be stuck in this mess.

2. Danielle Scott says:

Just avoid the area completely. We been stuck for close to an hour and a half. Its pandemonium!!

3. Michael Calo says:

Also avoid Odenton…sveral square miles are burning out of control up there.

4. Michael says:

Had a family outting at extra inning’s a local indoor batting cage in Laurel.As we got off 95 the smoke was really bad.Traffic was ok when we left around 2pm.As I arived home to Catonsville we could still see the black smoke.I never have seen so much smoke and fire engines racing through streets so we knew something bad really happened.

5. County man says:

I cooked see the smoke from southbound I695 and Liberty Road! Looked like a volcano erioting from over 25-miles away!

6. County man says:

Could see! Lol! I hate auto-spelled check!

7. Nancy says:

There’s also another brush fire at Woods Rd and Ryan Rd in Pasadena. Emergency vehicles have been there since before dark. Also road are closed, I walked out my front door and the smoke was unbelievable. 4 or 5 hours later and the firetrucks are still there.

8. KottaMan says:

Stay off 95 at any time on any day….. It is a deathtrap,. a constant traffic pain in the a$s, and full of typical Maryland’s rude and obnoxious drivers.

9. David~ says:

@KottaMan-
    Amen to that.
    I nearly died on the way to work in 2009 and got a traumatic brain injury out of it and have been unable to work or function normally for 2 years. I never used to be crazy about 295, but 295 is probably better odds for getting where you are going alive because you don’t have the folks driving 100mph to shave a few hours off their trip from New York to Miami.You can’t go 100mph i the 2 lanes of traffic on 295 unless its 4am