Boy Playing With Lighter Causes Md. House Fire

HAGERSTOWN, Md. (AP) — Fire officials say a 6-year-old boy playing with a lighter caused a house fire that sent his
grandparents to the hospital.  

Helen and Richard Stull were taken to Meritus Medical Center after Wednesday morning’s fire. 

State Fire Marshal Deputy Chief Jason Mowbray says the boy was not injured. 

Authorities say when firefighters arrived, an upstairs bedroom was engulfed in flames, which were shooting into the hallway. The blaze was brought under control in about 15 minutes. 

Damage was estimated at $50,000. 

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press.  All Rights Reserved.)

Comments

One Comment

  1. Mary P - Brooklyn says:

    When my brother & I were little, my dad left matches and gasoline where we could get at them. We played with them, but luckily never hurt ourselves or started a fire. He kept a loaded pistol in his top dresser drawer & we played with it, but luckily never shot oursleves. We got into the alcohol and cigarettes too, although never messed with the prescription medications left out. The moral of this story is that those who are taking care of young children need to take the necessary steps to protect them by keeping dangerous things out of their reach.

    I am glad nobody was hurt and houses can be rebuilt, but I hope at least some folks take the time to make their homes safer places for the kids.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Baltimore

Track Weather On The Go With Our App!
Your Podcast Network Play.it

Listen Live