Vigil Held For Missing Teen

BALTIMORE (WJZ) — Eight weeks ago, Phylicia Barnes disappeared without a trace.  Friends and family begged for her safe return Tuesday night.

Andrea Fujii reports on the vigil held in Barnes’ honor.

Family and friends of Phylicia Barnes want the public and whoever is responsible for the 17-year-old’s disappearance to know they haven’t lost faith.

“Of course it’s been hard, especially with us not knowing where she is or any changes,” said her sister, Deena Barnes.

The search has continued now for eight weeks.  Police have found no sign of Barnes.  Her picture is everywhere.

“I was in Wal-Mart the other day and there was her picture, which is a good thing, but it also gets us down because we don’t know what’s going on,” said her sister, Kelly Barnes.

The North Carolina teen was visiting her Baltimore family for Christmas. She was last seen by her half-sister’s boyfriend on Dec. 28.  On Jan. 3, homicide detectives took over the case, suspecting foul play.  The next day, police searched Leakin Park on a bogus tip.

Community groups continue to walk the neighborhood.

Jan. 12 was her 17th birthday.  Later that week, the family retained a private investigator to help.  On Jan. 20, an old well was drained on North Bend Road.  Nothing was found.

Friends seen at the apartment were reinterviewed, including the boyfriend, Feb. 3.

Just last week, officers visited her friends in North Carolina.

“We were talking to associates and friends that Phylicia hung out with and that’s to corroborate information that we’ve gotten through interviews,” said Anthony Guglielmi, Baltimore City Police.

The Barnes family is happy with the city police investigation but want to keep her name out there.

“Whatever happened, we just want her back,” Deena Barnes said.

Once the weather improves, police plan another massive search in Baltimore to look for any signs of Barnes.

Thanks to donations, the reward for information leading to Phylicia Barnes is now up to $35,000.

Comments

1. Doug says:

We have all seen how this ends.
    Check the landfills or creek beds

1. still white still care says:

Dear doug, sometime the truth hurts

2. D. Bos. says:

See back in the day, if they knew something and wouldn’t talk, they’d put them in a room and by the time they came out, you could have written a book.. I don’t understand how they won’t say the names of those who won’t talk and are holding up the investigation..

1. Courtney says:

It’s probably “the ex boyfriend” and his brother.

3. Courtney says:

I think they need to put the ex-boyfriend in the slammer. It’s gotta be him or one of his associates. And i think they need to really recheck that timeline they were given.

4. Shirley M says:

I believe there is someone very close to Phylicia, who knows what happened to her. They are either to afraid or they were involved with her disappearance.

5. reba says:

I’m praying this child is found soon, and that those involved will be brought to justice

6. D.B. Lawrence says:

This needs to be on EVERY CBS television station in the entire country. WJZ has led the Barnes case since it began, the REST of the country needs to as well

7. KC says:

I dont think Phylicia Barnes received enough press coverge now if she was white the whole world would be looking for her as though Nataliee Holloway. This girl need tobe found I look at my email daily hoping for some process on this case. Someone knows something and need to man up.

1. still white still care says:

Dear kc,why did you bring race into this girls disappearance?
      every parent is at a lose when a child comes up missing!

2. Don says:

KC, it’s people like you that make this country racist. You need to not bring race into it. Typical thought from someone like you. If you don’t get what you want, let’s blame it on our skin color. What a loser!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Start Snitchin says:

It’s the ‘Stop Snitchin’ attitude that the black community in Baltimore has. As long as this attitude is maintained, law enforcement’s hands are tied. Such a shame that the law breakers have this advantage over law abiding citizens. Where are all the black organizations now? It is a sad situation but it is reality here in Baltimore.

1. whatnow says:

You are absolutely right! Where are Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson? They support the snitching culture. If the boyfriend was white, they would be here. Racism goes both ways.

8. Donna Stephens says:

I am sooo sick of race being brought into EVERYTHING. Nancy Grace has also covered this case extensively and her show is a national show…..give credit where credit is due

9. P Mines says:

For the first time since relocating to Baltimore, I’ve actually been impressed with the way in which this case is being handled and I’m Black. I really disagree with you KC…I think this case is an exception to some of the other cases I’ve seen.

10. more problems says:

In response to what donna said this was not on nancy grace right away it took for anthony guglielmi to mention on wjz that this case wasn’t getting the attention that it needed he also said it needs the media like they was giving the pasedena girl that was the las vegas dancer who was murdered when they did show ms barnes its only for 10 mins and it was at the end of the show mind you nancy grace show runs about a hour long the other 50mins they was talkin about the pasedena girl

11. Melissa says:

I think the reason that this hasn’t gotten a lot of national coverage is because there is no “drama” involved. I also think that older missing persons don’t get coverage because they feel a teenager usually runs away. If this girl was dating an older known sex offender and someone would have saw him grab her, it would have gotten more attention. There is nothing “exciting” to report on and that doesn’t bring in the ratings. I’m not saying that Phylicia doesn’t deserve the media time, just stating the facts. There are a lot of missing persons out there and I’m sure we don’t here of most of them. May God bring Phylicia home safely to her family.

12. WestNorthAve says:

I think it recieved the proper attention. In my opinion it really did need National attention to begin with because I believe she never left Baltimore in the first place and the whole kidnapping story is bogus. Whatever happened to that girl happened in or around that apartment and thats that. Her half sister and the boyfriend know somethin thats more than obvious.

13. william says:

i know there are people out there that would like to make this about race …but i assure you this is not about race ….it is about a little girl who just wanted to reconnect with her family…..she was in a period of growth…. a good young women…. not an african white or hispanic women just a women of GOD…SHE WILL BE FOUND THE TRUTH will come out an justice will be served ….an you all should take a moment to ask GOD TO MOVE THE MOUNTAIN FOR HER AND HER FAMILY AND INVESTIGATORS……THIS I ASSURE YOU, WILL SERVE HER MOREAND HAVE OF AN IMPACT THAN YOU THINK THE POWER OF PRAYER WILL HELP THIS FAMILY FIND HER AN JUSTICE WILL BE SERVED… AN YOU CAN TAKE THAT TO THE BANK

1. Deacon Jones says:

I pray you are right william…Amen.

1. William says:

Deacon there was a little boy out of Newburgh new York I prayed everyday for the truth for him an it was a forum like this I put out he would be found in springtime the second day of springtime he was found prayers do work his name was mark bookal

14. MAKEEA JONES says:

THIS IS CARZY I THINK HER SISTER KNOW MORE THEN WHAT SHE IS TELLING…CAUSE IT’S CARZY HOW THEY CANT FIND HER.. I THINK THEY NEED 2 TALK 2 THE SISTER IN HER BOY FREIND BECAUSE….SOMETHING IS JUST STTING RITE WITH ME ABOUT THEM 2…..I DONT KNOW OTHERE PEOPLE SEE WHAT I SEE SOMETHING RITE WITH HER OR HER BOYFRIEND THEY JUST KEEP HAVING ALL DIFFENCT STORY …FRIST SHE GTTING SOMEFOOD THEYSAID SHE WAS GOING 2 THE MALL IN THEN THEY SAY THE BOY FREIND WAS THE LAST 2 SEE HER BUT CARZY PART IS SHE IS NOT FROM HERE SO WHY WOULD THEY JUST LET HER GO IN TAKE OFF BY HER SELF NOW THAT’S THECARZY PART……CAUSE IF MYLILISTER WAS NOT FROME HERE IN SHE UP IN JUST SAY OOO.AM GOING 2 GET SOME TO EAT AM GOING 2 GO WITH HER OR IF SHE WAS GOING 2 THE MALL AM GOING WITH HER OFF TOP …IT JUST CARZY HOW SHE JUST LET HER ROME AROUND BALTMORE CITY LIKE SHE WAS FROM HERE….CARZY…=[

15. Cassandra says:

I agree with everyone who thinks its the sister and boyfriend, sorry the sister just don’t seem upset enough for me, if this was my sister, I would be boohooing and crying everytime the camera’s are on me and off me, I cannot remember seeing a tear from her yet…but let’s keep the race card out of this and pray that she is found soon. Phylicia Barnes and Family I am praying for you all even the sister. Be blessed.

Sandy W.

16. William says:

We must look at every possibility …recently on virgina ave a victim of murder was found in a deserted home on that street..this not far from were p barnes came up missing I think every deserted home on that street should be looked ..asap this could be conneted and that is why we can’t find her ….

17. Tay says:

My question is have anyone tried consulting a forensic psychic to sit and interview the ex-boyfriend, half sister, and father? Or even used one of Phylicia’s articles of clothing or the couch she was “sleeping” on to find a clue, a location, or read body language? I think that at this point in the investigation, the police should not count out any viable source that could possibly bring this girl home. So my suggestion is to get a forensic psychic or a professional body language reader to interview the ex-boyfriend, half sister, and father, or conduct a lie detector test.