More Police Officers Suspected In Corruption Scheme

BALTIMORE (WJZ) — A towing scandal is pulling officers off the streets of Baltimore. More than 30 members of the force are now tied to the extortion scheme.

Derek Valcourt has the latest on the case.

Suspension hearings were held inside police headquarters throughout the day Thursday and will continue into Friday afternoon for a total of 31 officers, and police say it’s possible more officers could be implicated.

The Majestic Auto Repair Shop was raided by federal agents. The Rosedale business is at the center of a major corruption investigation — accused of illegally paying city police officers $300 kickbacks for every time they helped steer a car involved in an accident to Majestic for repairs.

On Wednesday, 15 officers were told to report to the police academy for equipment inspections. Instead they were arrested by the FBI and Police Commissioner Fred Bealefeld.

“I said, ‘I’m not here to give you a speech. I’m here to take back our badge,’” Bealefeld said.

In all, 17 officers face criminal charges. And on Thursday the police department confirmed another 14 officers have been suspended–stripped of their badges, but not arrested– for violating departmental rules related to the corruption case.

A spokesman was unable to provide details on the allegations against those officers, calling it a personnel matter.

When asked if those officers could potentially lose their jobs, police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said: “I wouldn’t box in anything at this point. I think this investigation is very much open.”

The arrests and suspensions mean the department is losing 31 officers off the streets.  A large number of them worked right at the northeastern district.

“This is something we’ve been planning for quite a while,” Guglielmi said. “We anticipated this.”

Police say they’ll temporarily be moving roughly 20 to 25 officers from their community stabilization unit over to the northeastern district to make up for the shortfall.

Meantime the mayor and the police commissioner hope the arrests and suspensions send a clear message.

“For me this is an affirmation about our resolve to ferreting out corruption within our ranks,” Bealefeld said.

Mike Schuh spoke with a potential victim of the scam.

With 31 officers being suspected of getting payments over a two-year period, it’s possible there are hundreds of victims.

Though Majestic Auto Body is open for business, walk up to entrance and you’re greeted with a locked door.

Sources in the towing industry detail to WJZ why the feds allege Majestic was paying police officers $250-300 for each car steered there. After an accident on city streets, Majestic didn’t have the permits needed to drop the cars at the city lot, nor did the company want them to.

Once delivered to Majestic, the car owners often didn’t want to pay $100 or more to have their cars towed to a different body shop.

WJZ spoke with a victim that followed their script.

“I guess we’ll just let them fix it there since its already there,” said Stephanie Fogg, whose car was towed to Majestic.

Fogg has her car being repaired at Majestic right now. She works in Silver Spring and gave us call Thursday afternoon.

Now she has new concerns for someone already dealing with the trauma of a major car accident.

“If I can’t trust they’ve done the right thing to start off with, are they going to do the right thing when it comes to repairing my car? Am I going to have problems with it? I just don’t have the trust right now,” Fogg said.

Her car has been at the body shop for nearly three weeks.

“At this point, I don’t know what to do, to pull my car out and take it away from here or leave it there for repairs,” Fogg said. “I just don’t know what to do now.”

Our media partner the Baltimore Sun reports this scam is identical to ones which happened in the city 40 and 50 years ago.

The officers arrested range in age from 24 to 41. Read previous story.

Click here to read full affidavit.

Comments

1. JOHN says:

iF THEY ARE THAT STUPID TO DO WHAT THEY DID THEN i THINK WE SHOULD BE ALOOWED TO KONW WHO THE STUPID ONES ARE . GIVE NAMES WHAT A GREAT CITY THIS IS ( YEA RIGHT)

1. Mike Schuh says:

If anyone believes they were the victim of these officers and MAJESTIC TOWING please give the WJZ-TV Assignment Desk a call. 410-466-1152. Please ID yourself as a possible victim and they will route you to me, Mike Schuh the reporter doing today’s story. Thanks! Mike

1. lajuju says:

How can anyone be a “victim”. They were not scammed nor were they robbed of any money. Stop stirring up trouble

2. help me says:

lajuju,

Uhhhhhh. They were scammed… and who the eff are you?

Haven’t you been reading the comments?

There are people here who were forced to have their cars towed after an accident even though they were drivable.

You are a dooshbag. Now go die.

3. Tmb says:

wow Mike, desperate? Remember they took their cars there to save the deductable.. Hardly a victim,,, Our mayor shouldn’t have cut their pay, maybe making money on the side wouldn’t seem so enticing if she hadn’t!

I wouldn’t risk my life in this city for the pay they receive!

2. LLJ says:

Names, ages, and area of city where they live were given.

1. ALCOHOLICS_ARE_CREEPY says:

LAJUJU…Are you joking or are you related to them? People lost their vehicles due to this scam. The police officers knew it was a scam that was harming people (the opposite of what they were paid to do).

2. city resident says:

Seeing this really makes you wonder just what the police departments do behind the scenes. I wonder how many officers are paid off to let pushers sell drugs in their posts.

1. pigeon says:

One would be too many; unfortunately I am afraid the number is probably higher. When it comes to corruption it is in EVERY department and EVERY form of government. It always has been and always will be. We just need to be extremely mindful of whom we put in office to work for and represent us.

2. Joe says:

I could not agree more. The only thing here that is really breaking the law is the officers receiving the kickback payment. If it weren’t for that then everything would be fine. Remember, you always have the option to have the vehicle towed to the garage of choice from the start. Again, the only thing the officer’s did wrong was receive the money for each car sent. Thinking about it that is why police officers should make more. Less likely for a scandal like this to take place. Make them financially stable and avoid these issues. They are people too doing a job. Just because they are a police office don’t mean they don’t have financial troubles.

1. ALCOHOLICS_ARE_CREEPY says:

Or heres another idea Joe…. let someone else have their jobs that are willing to go from “unemployed” status to earning $35,000-$120,000 per year.

Just out of curioisty JOE! Should be apply this same logic of yours to other types of criminals too? Like if someone is smoking marijuana on a beach not bothering anyone for example. Couldnt we say that “if we just gave him the same freedoms as we give to all of the violent alcohol drug addicts” then we wouldnt have to call him a criminal either!

I like your logic Joe. Lets just make up new rules for every occasion as we sit fit, but this should only apply to me, Joe and all of the police officers and the politicians and the judges and the prosecuters, A class celebrities, CEOs of private companies and fck all the little people! You rule Joe!

3. Debbie Hicks says:

You must not be aware that the Police Officers are the pushers…..It has been that way for years…..I remember the 2 white cops on Whitelock back in the 1980’s….They stayed loaded with money…..Only time drug dealers got locked up was when they messed with the man in the Chinese stores money, I alsays believed he was bringing the drugs in…..I believe cops push drugs just like I believe they hustle cars to the home boy mechanic……Whatever happened with the case of the 3 cops shooting up the detective in the kiddie club on Paca St.

4. ALCOHOLICS_ARE_CREEPY says:

Hardcore drugs are currently legal for “pushers” to sell in the city. And no bribes to local policemen are currently required. If you need drugs just look for any building that says “Liqour Store” on the front. You’ll be amazed at the selection! Some are sold in fancy glass bottles, some in cool looking cans, and some are even sold in fancy crystal decanters (these are for fancy sophisticated drug addicts), most have cartoony labels or logos (kids love the crazy designs), and some even taste “citrusy and fruity with wooden overtones” according to the fancy foil labels!

3. nightwalker says:

Hard to believe those officers could be so dumb to get caught up in some mess like that. The police department has over time I’m sure and if not live with your paid range. If they had more city cops living in inner city neighborhoods just may be things wouldn’t be the way it is. Baltimore city are already short staff as it is on the streets.

4. Robin says:

I find it disturbing that several of these officers had their passports confiscated. The majority of our problems are non-American’s placed in jobs like these. I have the utmost respect for police officers and firemen, but when some abuse their positions…

1. pigeon says:

Really don’t think the passports were taken because they are non-Americans (tho a few may be); biggest reason is they may be travelers, have extended families in other countries, etc., and therefore are flight risks. If they were raking in as much money as being reported they can afford to travel outside the USA.

2. Shante says:

They said passports not VIsas…they problably are flight risks.

5. mytocents says:

This is just a small example of how government works. I would like to know how much the Mayor of Baltimore, City Counsel, and other elected officials take in kickbacks. The FBI should be investigating the big fish, not the small fry. One example was the former mayor, now our taxes are paying for her retirement. SAD!

6. wcwhipp says:

I believe I was the victim of another type of scam but could never get anyone to listen to me . my truck broke down on the side of rte.40 in the city.when I come back to get it .it was gone so I chacked tha city tow lot It was not there it was towed to a private lot because they said it was in 7-11 parking lot which it was not then they told me well pay what we want or pay the thousands they want or never tag a car in MD again they even kept my tags after I gave them the truk for the tow fees. total scam if anyone can help contat me at my e-mail account I still have not got this straight it is very fusterating thanks for any help you can give..this sounds very similar as far as kick backs.

1. RONALD A. WRAY says:

HEY WCWHIPP, I AM AN ATTORNEY. I WILL LISTEN TO YOU FOR ABSOLUTELY NO FEE WHATSOEVER. STOP THEIR ARROGANCE AND ENFORCE YOUR RIGHTS!!!

7. RONALD A. WRAY says:

CHECK OUT BALTIMORE COUNTY OFFICIALS/EMPLOYEES IN THE FAMILY LAW DIVISION HOOKING UP THEIR LITTLE FAMILY OF ATTORNEYS AND CONSPIRING W/ THESE ATTORNEYS TO PROVOKE AND MANIPULATE CONFLICT/VIOLENCE IN THE OPPOSING PARTY(men and women alike) in order to allow their buddies to exploit children for profit. I cant believe impoverished taxpayors in Baltimore County pay these people. It like Jesus paying the devil to help him. check out my up and comming blog “Cast them out.” comments are welcomed and INVESTIGATED THERE!

1. derrickman says:

Ronald Wray, Shut your pie hole you phony.

1. Ronald A. Wray says:

derrickman, why would you say something like that to me?

2. Ronald A. Wray says:

derrickman, GREETINGS. Getting ready to drop a bomb! I need YOUR help. go to http://www.castthemout.blogspot.com YOUR insights, critiques and comments are welcomed there. IBe gentle…lol! Its a work in progress. Kind regards.

2. ALCOHOLICS_ARE_CREEPY says:

RONALD WRAY….This is the place to solicit new members for your personal Blog. If you need to advertise your services then call the newspaper or phonebook.

1. ALCOHOLICS_ARE_CREEPY says:

Or how about………this is NOT the place to solicit new members for your personal blog.

2. RONALD A. WRAY says:

I’m not advertising ANYTHING!! I dont need to advertise it! Just new to this thats all, and was asking a fellow blogger for help. Ill take the advise though. Thanks BTW, didnt you say that “THIS IS” the place to solicit new members? Sorry to have offended you with free speach. I DO KNOW one thing..the haters like you are blatantly obvious here. Even though you choose to do nothing but hurl insults at others, at least I can say that Im REALLY tring to do something about it. Also, try telling the right police about the drugs instead of going there yourself to buy them. WOW!!! YOU really know about liquor and drugs..lol!

8. James Moscaritolo says:

Although I am not a fan of the Baltimore Police, I fail to see an extortion scam here. Maybe poor judgement. This type of behavior is called referral fee. People have a choice to take it wherever they want. No one forced anyone to do anything . Me personally, I would do the same thing. The proper thing to do would have been for the officials to let the police force know that this is a gray area and they should refrain from this type of behavior. I better look out, maybe if I refer someone to Amway I will get arrested. This appears to be a legitimate business giving a referral fee. Big deal

1. Leigh Ann Erdman says:

That “referral” fee is illegal as far as their code of ethics goes. There is a contract that is required to be used. The “police officers” (I use that term very lightly) have a higher standard and are required to follow a standard for behavior. They not only fell short, they fell off. Lack of integrity is the reason this city is in the shape it is in. You can’t require a standard for one group and not for another. Exhort from one place, cross the line on another place, turn a blind eye to prostitution in another place., take a kick back from a drug dealer, casually ignore street gambling. Where does it stop then? Bottomline: do the crime, pay the penalty. Abuse public trust and the penalties should be higher.

1. help me says:

Well said Leigh Ann.

People like James will never “get it”.

He’s the type of person that says, “it was only a pack of gum” when his kid gets caught for shoplifting.

Your pathetic, James and part of the problem.

2. Karen W says:

Then they need to pay them what they are worth!!!! Dont deny them raises and dont cut their pay causing them hardships forcing them to compromise their code of ethics!!!

2. Karen W says:

I AGREE! $14,000/52 weeks/40 hrs (not including OT) = $6.73 hr!!!!
      Big deal!!!! These police officers didnt get raises and per the city will take pay cuts!!!!! Its wrong!!!! Why put them in a positon that requires them to do something like this because their lifestyles have changed because of the the city’s debt problems!!!! The most important and deadly job is protecting the city!!!! I have no police friends or family but growing up in Balto City, I know that this is petty!!!! Everyone is suffering with this economy and everyone has at some point compromised their best judgement for the sake of their family and financial situation!

1. ALCOHOLICS_ARE_CREEPY says:

Since when can we use the poverty defense as justification for committing a crime?

They need to work there way through the ranks like everyone else. Top cops earn in access of $100k per year.

3. ALCOHOLICS_ARE_CREEPY says:

Its Illegal James. Just like fraud, assault, slander or name your poison. A crime is a crime and is normally committed by a criminal, or in there case 3 dozen of them!

9. Ronald A. Wray says:

right james, but here, they charge the consumer the kickback in the price obviously nd creates an unfair advantage in the marketplace. Im sure well be hearing about that as well. Businesses are not allowed to do that.

10. ghoulie says:

“Police officers are supposed to be working for the police department. Not the highest bidder,” said U.S. Attorney Rod Rosenstein.

i thought it was the public they worked for? if majestic charged me less than the the city towing then the police helped me out not department.

1. moeman says:

The way people pocket look these days …. I would love to get my car fixed at a cheaper price any day !

11. Sally says:

Maybe if the police officers got a decent rate of pay to begin with, they would not be reduced to trying to make more money to support their families. What they are paid for putting their life on the line each and every day is pathetic! And if you are so anti-police, next time you need help, don’t bother calling them. If you think they are so terrible, why would you want help from them??

1. Atim Ant says:

Police officers make over 40,000 a year, right up there with RN’s. They chose this career, knowing how much it pays, and they risk their lives doing it. If they don’t like it, they should quit.

2. lajuju says:

I concur. Most of them need a second income just to get by. Sad. But lets pay athletes millions a year for entertainment purposes…

3. help me says:

Sally,

Integrity does not require an minimum wage.

4. Kim says:

it’s not that they don’t get a decent salary, they do…..it just doesn’t go far in this area, especially if they have a family to support. while i agree they do put their life on the line while performing their job, they know the dangers and the salary they will be paid when they sign up for the job. pick a different profession or budget well and don’t live beyond your means.

5. ALCOHOLICS_ARE_CREEPY says:

Sally, its not about being anti-police, its about obeying laws.

I was always taught that police are paid to help the citizens. Not to intentionally direct them into the middle of a major criminal enterprise to get violated.

12. derrickman says:

Why does WJZ bump comments off this site when bloggers vent their 1st amendment right to free speech? Yesterday I posted saying the truth that a few years back, The city of Baltimore recruited from Puerto Rico candidates for the Police force. Yesterdays indictment of seventeen police in corrupt dealings with local tow truck & body shop owners for thousands of dollars are predominately Hispanic & I’m wondering how many were from that goof ball idea of recruiting from Puerto Rico. Diversity in the police force does not always equate to equality & fairness / honesty for it’s citizens. Shame on WJZ for it’s selected posts.

1. Proud Hispanic officer says:

Why the hate against the officers from Puerto Rico, I saw your the message you posted on the other media and I felt sad on how racist you are. Not all the accused officers are from Puerto Rico and I do not understand how the race of a person make a difference on this incident. Probably they hire officer from Puerto rico because when you try to be hire you were rejected like many others on the City. What happened is wrong and I do not like it more than you. But there’s a lot of honest hispanic officer doing their job with honesty. I am one of the proud officers that were recruited in Puerto Rico and I will continue serving with the same integrity and honesty.

2. pigeon says:

Perhaps it isn’t just what you say but how you say it.

3. Billy says:

The last time I checked Puerto Rico was part of the United States so as far as I’m concerned..they are recruting US citizens

4. Nicole says:

Derrickman,
      Puerto Rico is part of the U.S. Get an education. Anyway, if people have always thought the same way as you, the police department would be completely made up of American-Indians. All of our families came from other countries…..Ireland, Germany, Italy, etc. Ethnicity has nothing to do with what has happened to our morals and integrity. This behavior was driven purely by greed. Nothing else.

1. TRS 3 says:

and I’m sure you Derrickman are not American-Indian so where do you get off being so racist? There are corrupt people in any race and honest people of every race too…sounds to me like you are one of the ignorant people who believe all people of one race are bad….KEEP YOUR RACIST COMMENTS TO YOURSELF!!!!! And singling out Puerto Rico?? What’s that about? They are Americans just like you and I..Get your facts straight before coming on here sounding like a total IDIOT!!!!

2. ALCOHOLICS_ARE_CREEPY says:

Puerto Ricans are not Americans. They pay taxes to Puerto Rico.

Puertos Ricans in general are cool people. But they dont claim to be American. If they did we’d have 51 tax paying states!

Viva Puerto Rico!

13. jim says:

i understand that this is all sketchy and crooked.. but what law did they break? i am not saying that they’re right for what they did or that no law was broken, but what law was broken?

1. Nicole says:

Jim,
      The Anti-Kickback Act of 1986 prohibits government officials from accepting kickbacks. This is a federal crime. Even though the Baltimore City Police department is paid by our state taxes, it also receives some federal funding which means that the officers are required to abide by the same rules of conduct.

2. ALCOHOLICS_ARE_CREEPY says:

It was more than just a kickback. These particular officers knew what they were getting paid and knew that it was three times the normal rate that a tow company wouldnt normally charge. So they knew they were purposely directing citizens to a criminal enterprise that would cause them to become victims of a crime. The payment to the officers wasnt a kick back in this case, it was their “cut” of the take.

14. Ronald A. Wray says:

I agree w/derrickman..lol! derrickman, call Pat McDonogh, he is a delagate and he WILL listen to you

15. tammy says:

i so not think they did anything wrong. Every day you hear how they are getting cuts in the budget, but the streets are getting worse. they risk their lives every day for what to get benfits cut pay cut etc…. I say if they can make a few extra dollars for thier familes let them. Towing companys charge alot so make them pay a fee for getting one . It is not like this people stole money from tax payers (like a certian mayor we had) leave them alone they risk thier lives every day

1. pigeon says:

And what illegal acts would you do to get an additional $14,000. (which is way more than a “few extra dollars”) plus a year? I agree 200% they are underpaid, and, in the long run, disrespected not only by the citizens, but by attorneys and judges. Sit in on a couple of hearings and you’ll see what I mean. Yet, this group did wrong knowingly and must pay for their unlawful acts, the same as any other criminal. I still am extremely thankful for those who put their lives on the line for “we the people”.

2. help me says:

Oh Tammy… people like you will never get it. Please don’t have children.

3. BaltimoreBev says:

You MUST be kidding! Please don’t ever apply for any job in which taxpayer dollars are at risk. Just like them, you seem to have no integrity whatsoever.

4. Billiam says:

Tammy – this kind of thinking is what is exactly wrong with society today! Yes they risk their lives, yes the budgets are cut and yes the streets are getting worse. But it doesn’t give you the right to play outside the rules, especially when you know what the rules are. Don’t even bring the mayor into this – that’s history and those who decided her fate have that on their shoulders, not mine.

16. derrickman says:

Quick story: Visiting San Francisco last year I had a reason to ask the local police for directions several times & to get help with my wheelchair on the transit. The police were courteous, friendly & gave assistance to me with my wife. These police spoke perfect english, not a yah, don’t know or just ignored like I have witnessed many times in Baltimore. No doubt that San Fran pays their force a higher salary & most likely requires a degree but that city is so well run & so much cleaner even though it is approx the same population as Baltimore. Like night & day. Their rejects would be a welcome addition in Baltimore but I if one would never come to this sad environment. Oh, the majority of the police were white, well dressed in appearance a not FAT like the popeye chicken eating group we have here. Such a shame Baltimore.

1. TRS 3 says:

racism is just ignorance!!!!

17. Escaspades says:

After reading all the comments, I have something to say. First of all, I disagree with the “referal fee” concept. That is morally and ethically wrong. Secondly, I had a minor accident and called my insurance company to send a tow truck (covered under my policy). When someone called the police and they arrived, they called a tow truck service and I had to pay them, plus the tow yard fee – I was mad as a hornet, but could not protest who I had the risk of being arrested ,so I see that as intimadation and very unfair. Final comment has to do with hispanics of the force. I do not see this as a race issue but more of a loyalty issue. It is my opinion othat people from other countires do not have the honor and respect for our state and country like natural born citizens. We Americans need to stand up for what is right and not let foreigners change our constitution and our rights!

1. Proud Hispanic Officer says:

Puerto Rico is part of the United States, check the history, so I am a U.S Citizen and a natural born citizen.

1. pigeon says:

Way to go. I guess you told him. You would be VERY surprised how many people don’t know about Puerto Rico and other “areas” that are part of our great country.

2. derrickman says:

Proud Hispanic,
        Better yet, check your own history. Last time I checked Puerto is a commonwealth & not a state. Although it enjoys all the privileges that U.S citizens have , they elected a few years ago to remain a neutral country. In short, these pepper bellies want it both ways. No vote in congress, they pay no taxes on income yet they flood our country stealing & living off the generosity of the U.S. New York has more Puerto Ricans living there than San Juan. They are criminals, druggies & perverts. The crime & drug rate in Puerto Rico would make Baltimore look like a Catholic convent.

3. BaltimoreBev says:

These idiots make you ALL look bad.

2. Atim Ant says:

Actually, you could’ve refused it. They can’t arrest you, or that’s a violation of rights.
      Not many people know this but you can say “No” to a police officer. They can’t force you to do anything unless you’re breaking the law.

3. TRS 3 says:

Derrickman-Puerto Rico does pay Tax now…so maybe you need to stay up to date on your info!!!

1. derrickman says:

TRS-3…That’s B.S….They elected to stay a commonwealth because they can have the best of both worlds without the contribution or responsibility. Typical Latino thinking. Something for nothing.

18. Mike Schuh says:

Victim of Majestic Towing? Call WJZ Reporter Mike Schuh.
    410-365-8718

1. Owings Mills says:

You suck Mike Schuh. I had a doctor at GBMC almost kill me in surgery and get away with it. You want to report on that?

1. ALCOHOLICS_ARE_CREEPY says:

No Owings Mills. Mike Schuh rules! He allows me a pedestal to climb upon to beat down and educate the alchol drug addicts. I Like Mike.

19. GZ says:

Aren’t the City does the same?

1. GZ says:

I mean …. a city authorized towing company.,,,,

1. Atim Ant says:

The difference is, it’s authorized by Baltimore city police dept to contact for tows. There’s a big difference in that. Tow companies contracted by Baltimore city are PAID to work for the BCPD by the mayors office. This company was paying officers to work for them while they were working on the clock. They tell you in the police academy that it’s illegal.

20. Greg says:

I have to honestly say that I don’t see anything wrong with a “referral” fee? It’s one thing if they forced the people to use that tow company then I think that is wrong. But if they said “Hey I know a tow company that is a lot cheaper” why is that wrong? A lot of people will say that they have to abide by the contract rules with the city. I have to say has the city been abiding by their rules with their contracts with the police and fire depts? If they were then both departments wouldnt be persuing legal action in federal court against them as we speak. Why do you think it was as many officers “busted” as it was? It’s because they are disgruntled, low paid, treated by the department and citizen’s as the lowest form of life, and overall expected to give their life while the city continues to take more and MORE from each and every officer day after day. I understand that the police are held to a higher standard then most but you need to realize that they are human as well. Police officers arent perfect by any means. Why is it that these officers can do this and everyone wants to burn them at the stake? But you have other criminals that burn dogs, murder people, rob and rape throughout the city and everyone wants to give them another chance. “Oh they are diagnosed with ADHD” “They are only 17 and still babies and they didn’t mean to do it”. The point I’m trying to make is they are all human and have families just like all of us. They weren’t hurting anyone and had to do what they felt was needed to help survive in a city that has completely turned it’s back on ALL police and fire departments.

1. Atim Ant says:

I agree with you, there’s nothing wrong with a referral fee. But it is an issue when Baltimore Police Officers are advertising services for an outside company while on the clock. That’s where the problem is.

2. help me says:

Greg, you make a compelling argument but the bottom line is it’s illegal.

You try taking $300 from a client for preferential treatment at your job on the side without telling the boss and and you’ll see what happens to you.

3. Lucy says:

Greg, I agree 100%!

4. ALCOHOLICS_ARE_CREEPY says:

They were conspiring to willfully and knowingly participate in a crime against the community. They were preying upon the misfortunes of highly traumatized people that has just been involved in traffic accidents. They sent people to a criminal enterprise knowing that there actions would result in these people becoming victoms of s crime. Commoners are frequently sent to prison for much lesser offenses. Non violent offenders of victimless crimes should not be sent to full blown prisons. I dont think we honestly say there this was a victimless crime. People lost there vehicles because of this and chain reactions are a part of life. Theres a good possibility that if someone loses there transporation then they might also lose there jobs, and then possibly there homes. A crime is a crime regardless of who commits it. I didnt make all of these crazy laws but im still expected to obey them.

21. shawn b says:

yeh its sad that police are turning in to bad guys rather then the good guys iam out here strugling to get a police job and i look up to them and they make it look like its monoploy stop making the uniforms look bad if ur going to wear it thn wear it proud

22. Disciple says:

police don’t follow the speed limits, use turn signals, and park where they want all the time. why is anyone surprised by this?

1. Atim Ant says:

Neither do you?

23. derrickman says:

You bloggers that want this & want that to satisfy your current needs is not going to happen folks. We have laws, not always understood or appreciated but for the good of all the people. Look at the big picture here & you will see it benefits everyone in the end. All others are mavericks, self centered & would be happy with nothing. These same people are failures in their own personal lives & vent out on internet blogs.

24. kelly says:

Sad thing … But Majestic is not the only shop in Baltimore to do this !! They just happened to be the only ones that got caught !! Better broaden your case search !

25. Eli says:

I cant speak for this situation but another unsavory practice all over Baltimore is the connection to Greenmount Towing. These people are contracted out to tow cars and they charge ridiculous rates. My father is new to Baltimore and did not see the no parking sign at night in an unlit lot. He was forced to pay $325 dollars to retrieve his car after one day. This is a little too punitive.

1. ALCOHOLICS_ARE_CREEPY says:

Those 100 million dollar contracts cost money to acquire.

26. Tee says:

I was a victim of one these officers!! He told me if I didn’t let them tow my vehicle and get it out the street, they were going to tow it to the city pound.

27. John Q. says:

Classic… this city is really a model for everything that is wrong with America. Crime, drugs, corruption, greed, the list goes on. Someone please strip away the nickname “Charm City” because that is a load of bull.

28. moeman says:

No wrong was done whatsoever ! They just helped people who seemed not to have the money to get their car fixed by aamco or other well known places ! The city of baltimore always try to stand out and this bs rite here is one example !

29. David Gordon says:

why should i be forced to use a tow company that the city of baltimore probably gets a kick back on .only they call it a contract.let me get my car towed by what ever tow company i choose.who cares if the police make a few bucks for sugesting a certain company .as long as i’m not forced to use that company

30. Julie says:

I dont think its rite at all for these police officers to do that, mainly because there city impound is not even a mile away from Magestic, so relle how much cheaper could it be. Last i heard the impound was only 250 to get ur car out, so i doubt Majestic is cheaper then that, The police were just looking out for themsleves. Theres alot of police out here that are out for themselves, i wonder how much money they make keeping drugs, guns, money, and anything else they find, i kno for a fact they dont tell everything, and especially if they are being paid by someone they will keep there mouths shut. Also, how bout when they kno they were in the wrong, and someone dies….does the family ever get autopsys….nope!! That way nobody has a case against them/the state. I hope they all go to jail, but relle i doubt it.

31. derrickman says:

You bloggers & especially Proud to be Hispanic, Do you ever get out of the city of Baltimore? Look around & see in the Midwest & west coast the superior police forces.? They demand a college degree which would eliminate a lot of dead wood here & that’s good. Pay them more but hold them to a higher standard. One problem as I see it from the mayor on down is that the scholastic credentials aren’t there but the professional people moving into the city demand different. Time for a cool cool change.

1. ALCOHOLICS_ARE_CREEPY says:

Which “superior police officers” are you referring to? The 30-40 gang squad members who quit there positions in Los Angelos after being asked to provide basic financial information to show how they could afford to live in $650,000 homes on a $50,000 income?

32. ravenmaniac881 says:

Hey JOHN…..the only thing stupider than these officers is you. Can you really even read what you wrote? Try spell check.

33. Somebody says:

I really didn’t know it was a crime to refer someone to a company? When I refered a friend to my realitor I received $100 gift card, When I refered a friend to a company I recieved some sort of kick back. When I refer a friend to Cable TV I will get a free mnonths worth of cable and a $25.00 gtift card from the cable company.

So honestly I do not see how the Cops are in the wrong in this, Being paid 24k to risk your life is not nearly enough in this rought city of Bodymore. As for the owners of the shop, I can forsee that being wrong as they did and are commiting insurance fraud. yes the Cops may have used their authority to persuede the customer / victim which I agree is worng if that is what they did. If the cops said ” hey I know a guy” that in my book is not wrong.

Arrest and trial the people who ran the business who commited the insurance fraud. Also how about we look into some of the politicians who take kick backs from companies in order to have theor vote persueded.

34. Rick59 says:

every one of the police officers were peurto rican , even the body shop is peurto rican owned. A US territory, give it back !!!!!!!!!

35. Rick59 says:

All officers should have at least an associates degree in criminal justice before being accepted to the baltimore city police dept. To join the md. state police you need a bachelor degree of some sort. The education would teach officers the ethics needed to be an officer, they would have a different mind set. Good ethics is not a part time positon, its a way of life. An police officer with a college degree should be paid more and they are worth the extra money. Thats why there is much less corruption in police departments that do require degrees

36. Somebody says:

There is a good mix of races envolved with this case. Bad thing is typical America: we let these people in and give them the canvas to start up a business at our tax payers expense with tax free incentives and grant programs. So these people can leave their respective countries and come here to make a better life…. hmmmmmmmmm What happen to doing this for our own born citizens? If we gave the oppertunity to some of our citizens we would have a whole lot less crime because people would have jobs to make money.

This should’ve been started 50 years ago. If we did something now, it would take another 50 years before we actually saw some change. Which is far beyond yours and I’s life time. Stop giving these people the amerecian dream and taking it away from us

37. Rick59 says:

Bring back major John Bailey of central district, he was one of the good guys, 35yrs of service and he cared for all people regardless of race or social status. He worked with under priviledged youth on his own time. He was forced to retire because the commissioner was too blind to see a good cop when he was there. Now the homicide rate is up, corruption rampid and overall morale is at an all time low. way to go commissioner!!!!!!!!!!! Time for the mayor to line you up in the auditorium at the cadet training facility and take your badge and gun!!! your a looser!!!!! and your bring the city down wth you. Come on mayor wake -up make commander John Bailey the new police commissioner and you might survive as mayor!!!!!!!!

1. What? says:

Bwahahahahahahahah! Major John Bailey? This was so random that it could have only been posted by John Bailey himself. Like Baltimore has out of control crime because Bealefeld booted Bailey out for…..gee…..of all things……lying in reports. Yeah, that’s who we need as Commissioner. You’re a bigger loser than Bealefeld.

38. Rick59 says:

lajuju!!!! your an idiot!!!!!!!!!! you need to see your medicare doctor and get a higher dose of lithium!!!!!!!!

39. blustarrising says:

Hehehe, lot of people defending a 300.00 tip. Ok…on this planet for those not seeing anything wrong with this. When a company can give you a higher amount of money than they themselves or most of the competition charges for in this case towing a vehicle. Your azz can rest assured they get it back ten fold out of the poor SOB and their insurance company. I don’t have a pack of crayolas to draw that out for you. If your awake and still can’t see the fraud and theft involved please do everyone a favor and avoid jury duty at all costs. As for how serious this will become for the officers? I suppose that will come down to how many of them remembered to include their “tips” on their tax returns. BOOM!

1. ALCOHOLICS_ARE_CREEPY says:

Now you expect them to pay taxes on a very well organized criminal enterprise? Well wouldnt that have given them away and prevented them from earning even more tax evaded dollars? I’ll bet if they were mere citizens they could come up with 119 charges totaling several thousand years in prison! Personally I dont think people who commit these types of crimes should be doing hard time on my dime, especially when no one was physically inured, full restitution, a dozen or so weekends in the local lockup, community service, criminal record and loss of job should suffice. But the same goes for the other 30 million people that face incarceration for their victimless crimes based on the rediculous and violent prohibition of cannabis. But then again if we didnt throw all of these non violent people to the industrial prison contractors then how would they stay in business?. It would be disastrous for our country if half of the prison system suddenly collapsed andmillions of non violent people were forced to become reunited with there families and become tax paying American citizens again!

40. frank gorman says:

after a hit and run accident to my car, i forgot and could not remove the parking permit that i useto park where i work i drive my husbands truck to work being shaking by the hit and run damage done to my car i was looking out the window ans saw a towing company tow my husbands truck for not having a parking permit ,less then 2 miles away.230.00 dollars i explained the hit and run accident to the towing company no refund atall all otwing companies are worhtless do not trust them

41. Andy says:

I dont agree on what the officers did, but we all have to see that maybe these type of action is going on in most of the baltimore city police department do to the pay cut the police and the fire department have experienced. Keep in mine that with the pay deduction most officers and firemen have been affected. I blame the Police Commissioner Frederick H. Bealefeld III for not supporting his men and women and Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake for most of the police action. It is easy to criticize a police officer when a wrong is done, but hardly acknowledge on the daily challenges the police officer faces.

1. ALCOHOLICS_ARE_CREEPY says:

So Andy are you suggesting that we should stop prosecuting criminals who earn under a certain amount of money? Thats a noble thought buddy but inherently flawed if you think about.

42. derrickman says:

Andy,….Not only are you a fool but a immoral one at that.

43. kwallace says:

What these officers did was wrong but at the same time I dont think they should due anytime. Why? Look at Sheila Dixon. She left office, didint get any jail time and she kept her retirement……………………………..

44. Anotherview says:

When this was first discovered 2 years ago why didnt they pull those officers in for additional training and to clarify police / city policies regarding towing? Police Commissioner Frederick H. Bealefeld should have stepped in then to stop the alleged kick back scheme and he wouldnt be in the news now saying what bad cops he has beneath him and he could have avoided a very embarrassing situation losing 30 officers. He is in charge of the police dept. right? He should be fired for not making sure his juniors are properly supervised. All he is doing is trying to make himself look good when he is the very reason the Balt. City Police have so many problems. Again, he is in charge of the police dept. right?

1. Owings Mills says:

I agree. It’s almost like Bealefeld wanted the scandal.

45. BOB says:

To often when cops are caught on the take or teachers threaten to strike, etc. people begin saying that they just are not paid enough. In Baltimore the median FAMILY income is $38,304. Straight out of the police academy Baltimore cops make over $42,000. The typical family income of a cop with a working spouse is far above the median family income for Baltimore.

The answer tis not to pay people more to help them be honest. They just need to be honest. Would you expect a low-paid minister to steal from the collection plate? How do you explain that there are low income people who are very honest?

46. Tyreke says:

The bottom line is, that this incident is extremely embarrassing for the the city. How are you gonna get paid while you’re getting paid at work?

There’s definitely a conflict of interest here. And for the idiots in this comment section who don’t see that… well you lack virtue.

If a cop is getting $300 a car… what is to say that he’s not worried about stopping crimes but only looking out for the next car that’s in a wreck to collect his kickbacks.

Even if the services at Majestic are cheaper who is to say they have their insurance updated or proper equipment? Because of the legal contracts with the city the government checks and holds the legit towing companies liable for any additional damages or what have you.

And for the people who said that the police don’t make enough get out of here they make enough starting abound $40,000 but that include great benefits plus have you heard of “Police Discounts”? There are apartment complexes that will charge police and firefighters up to 40% off just for them to stay there. Now you factor rent in with their salary you will see that they are making enough to live comfortably.

I will not defend the people who share the same view on this incident as I do but make racist comments about Puerto Ricans. I feel like this incident was just an opportunity to display your hatred for people who do not look like you.

At the end lets all work together to make this city safer lets not just put the load on the Mayor and the Police. Remember they’re individuals just like you and I.

-Morgan State University Student
    -History Major with a focus in International Diplomacy

47. local tower says:

my company towed a car out of majestic for an insurence co. the reciept was from mario’s towing. they had the fee’s filled in for two hundred. that was scratched out and changed to six hundred. it was there two days. we delivered it for seventy five you figure it out.

48. Mike says:

A degree does not make you a moral person with good values that is something that is instilled at a young age or a self disapline chosen by one self.There are plenty of people of all races with degrees that are not upstanding citizens. Look at all the teachers and priests that become sex offenders often with children involved. The laws are in the books enforce them stop letting crimminals no matter what the crime or social status of with just a slap on the hand.

49. andy botwin says:

The majority of baltimore cops are corrupt, especially the puerto pecans, they sell drugs , and anything else they can get their greasy hands on!!!!!!!!!

50. andy botwin says:

Tyreke, Puerto-pecans look just like me and you, skin color has nothing to do with it. Ethics , Ethics ethics!!!!! They chose to stick together like a group of thugs from the old country and bring it to the streets of baltimore by using their new found wealth of a police shield. The majestic towing scam they did is only the tip of the iceberg. They sold the drugs they stole from dealers , let certain dealers deal while otherdealers who didn’t pay not deal! They ran a whole enterprise of illegal activities.

51. WELDON says:

HEY RON…………..HOW ABOUT THAT MD. DORS CASE 2008 $650.00 A MONTH BENEFIT CHECK REFUSED BY SS ? 1995 PAPER TRAIL ON FILE ! ALL BACK PAY IS STILL YOURS FOR SERVICE IF YOU WIN !……………..you are a little heavy on cops but not the headhogs in charge of them……….WHY ? HOW ABOUT OUR WONDERFUL CITY FATHERS ? THIS PUTS THE COPS IN A VISE BETWEEN THE BIG MONEY MAKERS LAUGHING ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK! GLAD THE FBI IS IN FOR THE INVESTIGATION THEY HAVE HAD ENOUGH OF THIS B-S H I I T SYSTEM OF THE EAST FOR 20-YRSs. good luck to all.