Baltimore Co. Police: Son Attacks Mother, Sets Home On Fire

EASTVIEW, Md.  (WJZ)—A heartbreaking twist in a story we first reported Wednesday night. A Baltimore County house fire is ruled an arson. Investigators say it started after a woman’s son set her on fire.

Weijia Jiang has more on this disturbing case.

Maybe even more troubling, WJZ has learned through court records, the victim had gotten a protective order against her son that was in effect until September. But what she feared came true.

Firefighters brought Teresa Hamel, 47, to safety from the East Baltimore Street rowhouse with the green awning. Margaret Pfeifer lives next door.

“I knew something was wrong. Police came  and they told me there was a fire,” Pfeifer said.

Police say Hamel suffered severe burns at the hands of her 23-year-old son, Gordon Jenkins, who they say attacked her beforehand.

“Her son walked up behind her and actually began to choke her,” said Lt. Robert McCullough, Baltimore County Police. “Sometime during the course of her being choked, she lost consciousness. Sometime while she was unconscious her son set her bedroom and clothing on fire.”

Neighbor Clara Simon says her son watched the rescue unfold.

“He said ‘Mom, you don’t wanna go down there, you don’t want to see her,’” Simon said. “My son said her face was burnt, her hands were burnt, her feet were burnt.”

Investigators say Hamel’s elderly mother, who also lives in the house, was able to escape without injuries.

WJZ found family members surveying the damage to the house on Thursday. Too emotional to speak on camera, they call what happened a “terrible tragedy.”

“How would anybody do that to their mother? I said to my son, ‘Could you do that to me?’ He said ‘I don’t think so,’” Simon said.

Police say Hamel is recovering at Johns Hopkins Bayview in critical but stable condition. Her son is behind bars, bail denied.

Jenkins faces first-degree attempted murder and arson charges. He’ll likely be charged for violating the protective order, too.

Jenkins’ preliminary hearing is scheduled for April 15.

Comments

1. Melanie says:

They actually did make an arrest. they arrested her son Gordon Jenkins.

2. Mike says:

WJZ come on hire people who know how to title properly, why delete my post that picks up spelling errors and that the title was wrong? I think some reported is feeling mighty stupid

1. Nancy Tricola says:

“reported” – Don’t you mean “reporteR”

3. Valerie Wisniewski says:

I will pray for her recovery, not just the burns but the anguish she must feel as a result of the actions of her son. Are so many people as jaded as they seem by criticizing the spelling in the article? Is that so important, not the person reported about who obviously needs our prayers? Please, let’s return to the Lord who is loves us all and admonishes us to do the same. It’s about people, not perfection!

1. LLB says:

Exactly!! the human suffering, not the reporter, is the STORY!! go TEACH a writing class if you can’t focus on the BIG picture.

4. Melanie says:

Gordon had been in Sheppard Pratt many, many times and diagnosed with skitzophrenia(sp?). If he didnt’t take his meds he became violent. He always just had a blank look on his face and its not hard to believe that he did this. His mom had an exparte on him at the time and he wasn’t even supposed to be at the house at the time. I’m part of this crazy family. I know.

1. britt says:

thats right he shouldnt have been in the house… i grew up with gordan my mother use to babysit him and i was realy close to him and his mother, i am so sorry this has happend. everytime i think hear see this story i ask myself did this realy happen im in such shock:( i know gordy had alot of mental problems and all, and i feel realy bad for him but in the same sense i feel so bad for teresa even though she had her own issues no one deserves to be harmed. its almost like he did it and then tryed to save her, so odd. i wish the family the best and i will pray for the both of them and i love you both dearly no matter what or how crazy you are. melanie im not sure if i have ever met you or anything but i wish you this best in this time of your life i know its tough

2. RDNKKKGRL says:

THEY SHOULD TAKE HIM OUT BACK AND SHOOT HIM OR CUT HIS U NO WAT OFF AND LET HIM LIVE THROUGH THAT THATS OK THEM JAIL BIRDS WILL TAKE CARE OF THE FREAKIN IDIOT AND HIS MOTHER AND FAMILY ARE IN OUR PRAYERS!!!

5. pigeon says:

Poor woman; my prayers for her speeding recovery.
    Unfortunately it is almost impossible to MAKE a person suffering from schizophrenia take their medication; so often they will refuse based on the thought you are trying to kill them. It definitely is a medical and mental condition that can be controlled IF you are in control of the patient.

6. Sorrow says:

I knew his daddy Gordy Sr. He was a good guy who got caught up in the drug distribution thing. Sorry to hear about the mom. Bets wishes.

1. brit says:

not to be rude in any way but, it doesnt matter what the dad got into he should have been there for gordan and teresa for ths sack of gordan growing up and maybe just maybe that would have help out a little and he wouldnt have been so disturbbed……i wish gordan the best and and teresa i love you both dearly and will pray for you !!!!

7. Debbie says:

I’m so glad I don’t have kids “CHILDREN”, like so many want to talk about. It starts at HOME. So all you parents out htere, your LIFE is your Kids. Start showing them what life is about….

1. Donna says:

It isn’t always the parents fault or lack of raising the child properly. There are other factors, such as environment and in this case emotional end psychiatric issues that can create this type of trauma. Until you have walked in their shoes and lived their nightmare, you should not be so quick to judge.

8. Daniel Foy says:

i went to school wit gordon in sparrows point and he was a nice and funny guy didnt think it could come down to this or there was any mental problems with him

9. George Mouring says:

They need to put this kid in Clifton t. Perkins for the crinally insane, he’s obviously not all there.

10. Ex-Baltimore says:

A white person’s mug shot! OMG! Am I really seeing this on WJZ???

1. Ridiculous says:

Ex-Balitmore..is that comment really needed? I mean pulling the race card…really? In case you never noticed, there are all kinds of people in mug shots on the news. Just because your a racist bigot does not mean the entire world is. Maybe if “other” races would stop blaming everyone else for thier problems, you wouldn’t see them as much in mug shots. Maybe they should stop killing each other, robbing everyone & actually try to earn an honest living.

2. antoinette shorter says:

you disgust me to no end…..seriously! You NEVER have ANYTHING positive to say in all of your posts! I sure hope you don’t have children as you would definitely be raising a problem for society to deal with later. Remember this, KARMA loves biting people Mr. Almighty. Mean-spirited people suck!

3. Billaim says:

Do us all a favor and just stop posting on here – yes, it’s a white person! Yes, you’re seeing it on WJZ-TV. As long as you’re Ex-Baltimore, we’re thankful, and I’m white, middle class, doing very well. Just leave your pointless comments for those who care to read them.

11. andy botwin says:

put him on the baltimore city police dept. payroll, he’ll just burn the cars that break down, won’t need majestic towing !!!!!!!

12. andy botwin says:

ex-baltimore, know what you mean , most city cops have mug shots, its a right of passage

13. andy botwin says:

daniel foy, did you go to school WIT gordon? and did you ride the short bus with wheels that go up and down , up and down!!

14. Bernard Mc Kernan says:

Sounds like he is the finished product of drugs, bad temperament by being spoiled or just looney Bi-polar

1. Sad says:

I believe it was posted earlier that he is schizophrenic…….which is a genetic mental disorder. It usually doesn’t surface until late teens or early twenties. Normally triggered by a traumatic experience. The symptoms come on slowly, sometimes un-noticed until they hit full power. I feel sorry for his mother, his family and him. It’s not his fault he has this disorder and I hope he gets the help he needs so he never does this again.

15. jenni B says:

Some of you people need to get a life. This has been a tragic event that happened here and some of you are just plain ignorant with your posted comments. I will pray for this mother and for what she will be facing in the near future. So, before you post your comments, think about this family and how they feel at this very moment!!

16. Shirley says:

We must put forth more concentration of Mental Health Issues. I feel sooo bad for his mom and family. Please send out your prayers for all involved. This must be a very devestating time for all of them.

17. Mark says:

This was really sad. Although, if I ask my kid would he ever try to burn me up, my hope is that he would say “absolutely not.”

1. Matt says:

Yeah, that was my thought too… “I don’t think so” doesn’t really sit well with me…

18. Kim Moore says:

You guys just don’t get it do you? Every comment about this article should be about the mother and how she is suffering right now. Maybe you all should take a trip through the burn unit of Bayview. It is an awful thing to have to go through. Get a life.

19. Baltimorebob says:

What a shame thats all I can say

20. BlueClaw says:

Theresa is an extremely nice person. I pray she has a speedy recovery.

21. marian says:

one person said they knew his dad who was a drug user. using drugs causes mental illness also. i feel sorry for the mom because i bet she had the same problem with the dad. i pray she heals in all ways and not just from the burns and if the son was a previous drug user (which i bet he was) then he brought the illness on himself and does not deserve to have anyone feel sorry for him. “spelling nazis” do you see any errors?? if so keep comments to yourselves because i am not named GOD and therefore not perfect like you are.

1. RDNKKKGRL says:

OH I AGREE THE BOY PROBABLY WAS ON DRUGS AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER AND NOW A DAYS WEN UR ON DRUGS THEY CLAIM UR BI-POLAR-SCIZZO,OR WATEVER JUST SO THEY CAN GET U ON SOME KIND OF MEDS Y DIDNT THEY KEEP HIM IN SHEPPARD PRATT IF HE WAS SO ILL AND COULDNT HANDLE LIFE ON LIFES TERMS SOMETHING WAS GOING ON IN ORDER FOR HIS MOM TO GET AN EX PARTE AGAINST HIM HE DONT BELONG IN THE LOONEY BIN HE BELONGS ON DEATH ROW LITTLE 2 BIT PUNK!!!

22. delores perry says:

i just hope in pray that the mother recovers and the son gets help

23. DEE says:

OK NOT GET PASS THE POINT , MENTAL ILLNESS PEOPLE R QUITW SMART , THEY PULL THAT CARD TO GET FREEDOM, SO SORRY FOR THE MOTHER I KNOW MY HEART BE BROKE, IF I COULD NOT HELP MY CHILD EVEN IF HE WAS SICK. JUST PUT HIM DOWN