WATCH WJZ @ NOON TODAY | The Army-Navy rivalry comes to Baltimore. WJZ has live pre-game ceremonies and the game | Who Will Win? | Army-Navy 2016

51 Dogs Rescued From House In Pasadena Looking For New Homes

PASADENA, Md. (WJZ) — More than 50 dogs were rescued from a home in Anne Arundel County.  The man who owned all of those dogs is speaking to WJZ.

Kelly McPherson explains criminal charges could soon be filed.

Inside a Pasadena home, Animal Control found 51 dogs who are now up for adoption, but their owner swears he’s not a hoarder.

“I didn’t start out to see how many dogs I could accumulate,” said Charles Richard.

Neighbors have smelled the problem for years.

“When you go for a walk and you head toward the park, you’re going to go right by it.  On a warm day, you wanted to go by fast and try not to breathe,” said Amanda Ferrell.

“I always hear dogs yapping inside, but 51?!” said a neighbor.

“It wasn’t easy.  It was stressful every day.  It’s a relief, but I’m just sorry that we ever got to this,” Richard said.

Richard says this all began 10 or 15 years ago when he and his wife bought a small poodle.  Then they started breeding and then, he says, it just got out of hand.

“We were breeding them; we were selling them.  Things slowed down, it just grew.  It just snowballed,” Richard said.

He wanted to give away the animals but worried about Animal Control filing charges.  Instead, he continued to secretly care for so many dogs that he didn’t even know the number was up to 51.

“I wish it had never happened and I assure you, I get out of this jam and it won’t ever happen again,” Richard said.

The county executive’s office says the Richards are in violation of a fancier license law by having more than four dogs.  That carries a $50 fine.

Forty-eight of the dogs are up for adoption in Anne Arundel County.  The other three are pregnant and being cared for by the local SPCA.

For more information, call 410-222-8900 or click here.

Comments

1. Scott's County says:

I agree. Glen Burnie is a filthy rats nest of a community. It’s the Dundalk to the south. Also, why are crazy animal and crazy cat people always women?

1. Louise says:

if you believe this, then………why are most serial killers men……………none of it makes sense, mental illness is just that, an illness, Whether it’s in Pasadena, Glen Burnie or Scott County, it just happensK

2. urnotfunny says:

you are truly a moron!

3. Mike S. says:

Sooooo, it must be nice living in your perfect world. What trailer park do you live in? Oh, but you may be from: Pioneer City? Edgewood? Meade Village? Being familiar with the sight of rats & filth the way you perceive it. I’m sure Glen Burnie outshines any place you may be from. For that matter, how do your comments relate to this aforementioned story anyways? Leave Glen Burnie & its “crazy” women alone…..

4. babs says:

Scott what part of Maryland are you from or did you just crawled out of hole somewhere? Dundalk is a nice family oriented community and many individuals that have come from that “rats nest of community” are Vets, businessmen and women.

1. RDNKKKGRL says:

HA HA LOL DUNDALK IS A DRUG INFESTED NIEGHBORHOOD

5. Eric says:

Well if you read above. The person was a man not a woman.

6. Rachel says:

OMG There are million dollar homes in Anne Arundel County.

Hoarding has no discrimination,Location, Status,Ethnicity, Sexual preference,

People did not wander in from the city to strike fear into Pasadena.

Plain and simple the Gentleman said things got out of hand, if you do the math Animals can have multiple births over very short time spans. I believe this MAN will not repeat this overwhelming ordeal ever again. Sounds like an animal lovers nightmare.

2. Doug says:

Sounds like something a well intended person does when they’re bi-polar,
    and in a hyper manic state.
    Then,it’s becomes clearly overwhelming ,
    and yet the insanity continues.

3. Megan says:

Pasadena is not full of ignorance and inbreds you moron, nor is it part of Glen Burnie. However, there are rough parts of any place you live. This in particular is one house where someone is a horder. Get over yourself.

1. lg says:

You are soo right. These idiot men and some women, really are actiing stupid and saying some really stupid things that have made me wonder if they passed the 6th grade??

2. Mary Tolson Hynson says:

Amen Megan

3. RDNKKKGRL says:

LOL I AGREE PASADENA IS NOT PART OF GLEN BURNIE AND UR RIGHT THERE ARE ROUGH PARTS ANYWHERE U LIVE

1. babs says:

RDNKKRL- Both you and Scott must be from Baltimore City. Pasadena is a growing area. Just one individual does not make it a bad place.

4. Herman Glimsher says:

EVERYTHING NORTH OF ANNE ARUNDEL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (ARNOLD) IS GLEN BURNIE………….

1. whatnow says:

the people in severna park will just love that announcement

1. urnotfunny says:

there is hoarding everywhere, why are you making this a neighborhood bashing session? If some of you — with your comments think you are better than……………because of the neighborhood you live in, then you better take a look in the mirror because you truly are ignorant.

5. whatnow says:

Glen Burnie and Pasadena are the same. They used to be great until the city trash came down.

6. sassy says:

where can i get one of them dogs

1. Not Going To Take It Anymore says:

You can probably get one of the dogs from the AACO ASPCA in Millersville.

1. Carolyn Annette Davis says:

Anne Arurnel County Animal Control is in MIllersville and ran by the county govenrment,,,THe SPCA of Anne Arundel County is in Annapolis and runs on donations and fundraising NO government tax money. The dogs availible on Tuesday will be at the Millersville location.

7. AMA says:

I live in Pasadena and I think you need to get your facts straight. Many and I mean many white colar people live in pasadena, myself and my family being one of them. I guess you have never seen the houses that are located down Mountain Rd, you know the really big ones. There is crime everywhere, people with mental illnesses can not help themselves, you never know one day it could be you.

8. Brown says:

Who cares where this happen pasadena, glen burnie, down the street, up the street is about the dogs. i would love to have one i love yorkie,s stop the finger pointing and tell me where i can go tomorrow and see how i can get one one of the dogs please. thank you

9. Drax says:

i am a close friend of the family and i am very upset that this has happened because those dogs were well maintained and there was nothing wrong with them… the neighbors you know who you are should be ashamed of theirselves for calling on them…. when i see you again ill be giving you a piece of my mind

1. sassy says:

They look like they were however; why didnt someone like yourself try and get then some help? i love animals in fact, i had a yorkie for 13 yrs and he had died in cardic arrest back in sept-2010. Therefore; im am more than willing to give those dogs a loving home. Maybe you (Drax) should have tried to get owners some help. Im sure dogs will miss them too. I just want dogs to be loved and in a good loving enviroment.

10. seashell says:

51 dogs is simply way too many and against the law. Either this woman was running a puppy mill or hoarding . If I was her neighbor, I’d call the SPCA too. The poop smell alone I certainly wouldn’t tolerate.

1. Drax says:

personal friend of the family and it was not a puppy mill and him and his wife were not hoarders….. if you watched the newscast and the interview you would know… thank you

11. Dewey says:

Wow this is really sad. So someone loved dogs and tired to give all the care he/she could- yet it was not good enough for society’s standards. So now where are these animals?? Are they really in a better more safe and caring env.?? Seriously- people. Why then doesn’t each of us adopt and give them better homes??? Didn’t think so…. because if it’s one thing people are good at- it is perceiving themselves as great and others as less. Let’s get it right- these dogs were healthy and living with these owners way longer then they could in many others hands. Lesson #1- stay out of other peoples business and learn to live a happy life.

12. Scott's County says:

Alright, I”m sorry for blaming women for bing animal horders or crazy cat people. But you only see women doing this stuff. Yes, I know that most serial killers are white men, but not always. Someone said that city trash is ruining Glen Burnie and Pasadena. Yeah, I agree. Juts blame the department of Social Services for that. They responded to a complaint that public housing is only concentrated in the city of Baltimore. Well, to prevent a Federal Housing discrimination lawsuit–they have relocated poor inner-city families out in the counties so that they won’t be poor in the city, but poor in the counties which from their logic is better. So now, your city crime is now your county crime. Remember, we are now a Communist country and before that with Bush, we were Fascists. How about we just bring back Democracy to America? Oh, by the way, I hope all those cute puppy dogs find homes and yes, I am a stuck up snob. I live in a $750K house in Baltimore County–my county!

1. A Voice says:

Just gonna point out that if you re-read the story, it is MISTER Charles Richard, not Mrs. Richard. Therefore, your statement that “its always a woman” makes no sense attached to this article. Just saying🙂

2. Pasadena Mom says:

Only a pretentious d*ckweed would disclose the value of his home in order to make himsel sound superior to others. It has been my experience that men that do so are lacking in size in other areas (below the belt). I bet you drive a big truck too. And let me guess, you paid 750 for that house, but now you would be lucky if you could get 600 for it. If we were to speak in terms of wealth (i.e. equity in said house) I think alot of people would outshine you (and your tiny appendages.

1. baltimorelady617 says:

Can’t stop laughing

2. urnotfunny says:

that made me LMAO.

3. tylerjake says:

Hey Scott: I doubt you own anything. Maybe your Mommy and Daddy do. However, you’re 750k house is probably worth about 1/2 that or less with the collapse of the real estate market. Therefore, go take a LONG walk off a SHORT pier!

13. Dewey says:

Mr. Scott-

Thanks for the politician lesson. Nevertheless, it’s not about you. I’m sorry to see such disgust.

14. Huh??? says:

Uh, the crazy hoarder person in this story is a dude. Why did everyone read this and comment that it’s ‘always girls’ who do this sort of thing ???

1. A Voice says:

I was wondering when someone would point that out…

15. cazee says:

I LIVE IN GLEN BURNIE IN A NICE WATERFRONT COMMUNITY AND I GUARANTEE THAT YOU WOULD BE SURPRISED IN SOME OF THE NICE AREAS AND COMMUNITIES HERE. I AM NOT A HICK OR DIRTBAG AS SOME OF YOU HAVE CALLED US. DONT GENERALIZE BECAUSE IT JUST ISN’T THE WAY alot of you have made this area sound

1. tomz says:

Learn to spell & turn off your CAPS key you moron.

1. IJS says:

Hmmm…I only see one typo in the above statement and that is alot should be a lot….so pretty much you look like the idiot here!

16. JOJO DANCER says:

OMG, what a bunch of idiots this morning.

17. tomz says:

Too many f……k dogs in the world now. People think they’re cute then abandon them or grow lazy. Not fair to the animals or humans who have to live with the stench & barking all hours of day & night…..It is a proven fact that an animal Cat or Dog will lower your property value when trying to sell.

18. CATHY says:

I AGREE WITH EVERYONE ON HERE,BUT PUTTING PEOPLE DOWN AND WHERE THEY LIVE IS NOT THE ISSUE HERE, THESE PEOPLE LOVE ANIMALS AND THOUGH THEY WERE CLEAN AND TAKEN CARE OF IT IS FAR WAY TO MANY TO HAVE,AFTER A WHILE IT WILL BE IMPOSSIBLE TO TAKE CARE OF ALL THESE,I HOPE THEY FIND HOMES,I LIVE IN A APT AND I ALREADY HAVE A DOG,IF I HAD A FARM I WOULD TAKE A COUPLE,WHAT THEY SHOULD HAVE DONE WAS GET A BREEDERS LICENCE AND BUY A LARGE AREA WITH KENNELS,IN A HOUSING AREA WAY TO MANY

19. me says:

wow how very poorish the comments on this article have become.

20. Justin Jc Charles says:

Ok… we are supposed to feel bad for a guy who was breeding dogs for money????????

1. kelly r says:

Thank you, Justin… I don’t think most people read the article. They just assume the guy rescued all of the dogs I guess. If his breeding and selling business “slowed down”, he should’ve had the dogs spayed or neutered. Now three (or four) of them are pregnant so here comes another bunch of puppies. He may have had good intentions but 51 dogs is too much and it’s irresponsible. The neighbors said they had to hold their breath when walking by the house in warmer months so what does that tell you? I’m sure there had been some “accidents” in the house. I don’t understand how people live like that.

21. willie man hanging says:

I once dated a woman who lived off of Mountain road. She had a small Shetland pony & I asked her why she kept it. I was told on nights like this when I can’t get a date……Man I was outta there fast & I hope the two of them had a good time. Pasadena is a s…t hole with one road in & one out & they all lead to nothing but the wannabe’s who occupy Gibson Is.

22. Ernie from Glen Burnie says:

Aint nuttin rong wit Glen Burnie! Mexcans maken it bad.

23. Tammy says:

To all the aholes that think Glen Burnie sucks, is a rats nest, full of crazy women, etc, etc. I do have a few choice words for you but they would get deleted. Some of us do take pride in our community and not all of us are the comments that some of you have made. First off I am not a crazy women, I do NOT live in a trailer. And I assure you I am educated it’s just some of us can’t afford to live in Severna Park or south of Glen Burnie. And from what I hear Severna Park isn’t what it use to be at all. Also maybe Glen Burnie is a little Baltimore or South Brooklyn as they say but if the city would stop cleaning out Baltimore and Annapolis and putting this so called trash you say in Glen Burnie and in other parts of the county we wouldn’t have half the problems that you say we do.

1. baltimorelady617 says:

Stupid

1. Tammy says:

Yeah that’s right because I gave my opinion just like everyone else. That makes me stupid?
        Maybe I should have written in my earlier post if they stop putting section 8 out into the county that makes it trashy and 90 percent of them do not care which makes it bad for those of us who do. And to those that do need that kind of assistance then fine but I have a neighbor right now who has her 1300.00 rent paid because she doesn’t want to work and those were her words exactly! Hmmmm funny how I have to pay my 1400.00 mortage myself by working 7 days a week to support people like her who do not even want to work 20 hours a week because it’s easier to collect that check on the 1st of every month.

2. babs says:

You are so correct.

24. Tammy says:

And to add to my comment from up above. I do beleive that this article
    was about.

51 Dogs Rescued From House In Pasadena Looking For New Homes

Not where we came from, what type of houses we live in, and how educated we are. Do you have nothing better to talk about then what type of lifestyle that we all lead?

25. Mr Musso says:

Wow! The hate on these posts are unbelieveable

26. Cathy says:

Why do all of you have to bash people,this is about the animals and finding homes for them ,not where everyone lives and who they are.

27. Lil'Man'sMommy says:

Okay so all of the above comments that have nothing to do with the story are proving exaclty what about everyone that had posted something? I am just saying, clearly it does not matter where you are from..everyone has shown a lot about themselves…that being said, it is very sad that a person would have 51 of any animal in their home for whatever reason. I only feel for the dogs. They due become attached and rely on their owner. I am sure the dogs will miss that home, but hopefully find another person to love them.

28. 14 today :) says:

haha no wonder are world is messed up, look at what your all fighting over, who’s county is the best or who has less crime.. WHO CARES it has nothing to do with the man and the dogs! No wonder kids fihgt over things that dont matter, all the “working adults” do the same thing

29. 14 today :) says:

Hhahahah No Wonder this world is so messed up, look at what everyone is fighting over! Whos county is better, who has less crime, who has trailer parks.. hahaha who cares, its about the MAN and the Dogs! Not about who work where or who has what! NO ONE CARES. hahahaha no wonder kids fight over things that dont matter, all the so called “working good citizens adults” do nothing BUT argue and bicker! i sure dont want to get old, and grumpy 24/7 of my life! i want to enjoy it.

30. Michelle West says:

From some of the comments it seems there are people with other issueshere than owning too many dogs. Why is it a name calling, hate filled post?

Please cross post the information about these poor dogs that need homes. The head of Animal Control has ruled – a long time ago – ALL animals coming to AC that weigh under 1.5 pounds are put down. Do NOT take wildlife or any other baby animal there! What will happen to the new born puppies? Please add this story to your FB page to help these victims find better homes. Peace and Love! Thank you all.

31. Kathy says:

I feel sorry for people ike this I believe they should be im counselimg its a mental
    disorder and a serious disease. And I believe they should not be able to own a dog any type of animal until they get professional help. GOD BLESS YOU If you need a friend or companion sign up on facebook Kathy