WATCH: The Army-Navy pregame right now on WJZ | Who Will Win? | Army-Navy 2016

Ocean City Bans Smoking In Parks, Playgrounds

OCEAN CITY, Md. (AP) — The Ocean City Town Council has voted to ban smoking at some parks and playgrounds in town.

If the ordinance is signed into law by Mayor Rick Meehan, people found smoking at certain locations would face a maximum fine of $500 and immediate removal from the park. The new rule would be the first town-mandated restriction on outdoor smoking within resort limits.

Under the ordinance, smoking would be banned at Ocean Bowl Skate Park, the Ocean City Tennis Center and the tennis courts on Third Street. It would also be prohibited at and near the playgrounds at Bayside, Robin, Little Salisbury, Northside, Gorman and North Surf parks.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Comments

1. BelAir Steve says:

Soooo, not only can we Marylanders not smoke in public buildings (I give that to you) or in our cars with underage family members (a bit sketchy) and now you’re proposing not allowing us to smoke in public places OUTSIDE.

I’m not even a smoker and I think this is foolish to over regulate personal rights.

2. Sher says:

I think it is great – who wants to be subjected to cigarette smoke when they are trying to enjoy being in the “fresh” air?

I wish places would ban smoking directly outside their doors. Nothing worse than walking thru a cloud of smoke when trying to get into a business…

3. Bill says:

Why dont we just ban smoking in Maryland altogether, yeah that would be perfect!! Yet another reason I do not ever go “Downy Ashen, hon”. When somebody has to tell me I am under arrest for lighting up a perfectly lawful article, such as the cigarettes I have enjoyed for probably longer that most of you have been alive, its time for me to tell you to get a life and get out of mine.

4. Bernard F Mc Kernan says:

Very good, I’m tired of these inconsiderate litterbugs that use the sidewalk or street for their own personal ashtray. They’re all addicts as far as I am concerned.

5. Just Bob says:

So when did I miss Maryland becoming a communist state that taxes/licenses its citizens into poverty and regulates their personal rights ?

6. PAUL E. MICELLI says:

WORRIED ABOUT CIGARETTE SMOKE? ASK WHAT YOU ARE BREATHING EVERY DAY AND YOU WILL BE SURPRISED. THERE ARE MORE IMPORTANT ISSUES FACING THE CITY THEN THIS PETTY ISSUE. YOUR RIGHT ON THE OCEAN, HOW CAN SMOKE BOTHER ANYBODY WITH THE OCEAN BREEEEEZE?????

7. bobwatkins says:

Fantastic! Can we get the boardwalk next? If smokers properly disposed of butts and made an effort to blow their smoke away from other people we wouldn’t need it.

8. MikeK says:

The Delaware Chamber of Commerce is loving this. Ocean City….why not ban smoking on the Beach and really destroy tourism? I’m not a smoker but I do know they would be happy to buy their cheaper cigarettes in Delaware and vacation there as well.

1. Tomz says:

Mikek, Ever walk on a cigarette butt still lit or have one of your kids step on one? These inconsiderate addicts use anything as their personal ashtray & need to start being seriously fined.

9. MikeK says:

Hey Maryland…Let’s just make Cigarettes ILLEGAL like heroin. When the crime rate increases…we can increase our taxes to pay for more cops. But heck…there won’t be those ugly stinky cigarette butts lying around anymore.

10. whatnow says:

Are these open areas next to cars spewing out carbon monoxide????