Maryland Police Shoot Suspect At Shopping Center

ASPEN HILL, Md. (AP) — Montgomery County police are investigating a shooting by an officer at a shopping center in Aspen Hill that left a suspect injured.

Police say they were called to the Northgate Plaza shopping center Saturday for a report of a man entering a jewelry store that wasn’t open for business and acting suspiciously. He then pushed a store clerk and walked toward the back of the store.

When an officer found the suspect in a parking lot, the suspect charged at the officer holding a large glass jug. Police tried to use a taser, but that didn’t stop the suspect. Then police say an officer fired three shots, striking the suspect.

Police say officers administered first aid, and the suspect is expected to survive. Police are charging the man with assault.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Comments

1. Doug says:

The video will tell all, no doubt.
    I feel if you’re going to taser someone,you might as well shoot them.
    Take me,for example.
    Say I wanted to march in a peaceful protest,
    and some caffeine charged young cop gets jumpy,
    misreads the crowd,then suddenly fires off the old taser gun.
    No real harm,right.
    WRONG !!
    I’m middle aged with a questionable heart.
    Tasering an innocent marcher as I,
    Is a certain death sentence .
    Just thought I’d share a view of an old time peaceful protester.
    Glad this suspect got shot and hope he dies and saves us tax payers a buck.

1. Jonathan Sova says:

Doug,
      You clearly don’t know anything about Tazrs. First, they fall under the less-lethal category of force options, on the police officer’s force continuum. Second, Tazers have been given a bad stigma, due to sensationalized reports by mainstream media. In fact, Tazers have been found safe on people with Defibrillators and Pacemakers, as well as people of a wide range of demographics. Third, it is clear that the officer attempted to do what he could not to use his firearm, by using an escalation of force. Fourth, this was not a protester. This was a criminal, who was probably mentally unstable, and was attacking a police officer. He was not being peaceful and he was not obeying the law.
      What would you have done in that situation, based purely on what has been reported? Remember, police are not super heroes and they are not Ultimate Fighters. They are human beings.
      Also, what has caused your disdain for police? Have you had a bad experience in the past? If so, remember that while there are a few bad seeds, the majority of police are upstanding citizens who devote their life to protecting and serving you. They put their lives on the line out of a sense of duty, because it certainly isn’t for the money or benefits. Contrary to what the media would have you believe, police aren’t greedy. Forgive the police if they want to be taken care of, unlike our military veterans, some of which are homeless and damaged for life. We should be taking care of our soldiers, police and firefighters.
      I encourage everyone reading this to remember that even when the police write you a ticket or arrest you, its not personal. It is their job. Also, remember that no matter how bad you treat them or hate them, if you call, they will come and do their best to help you. God bless all our public servants!!!

1. BRENT BARBOUR says:

How would anything about the story be clear to you? Just as the facts seem clear to you, there is at least another side of the story that seems clear to the defendant. While our public servants deserve respect for doing a job few want, police should always use as less force as possible. As for the tasers, no one is certain as to what its effects are on anyone. There are people out here who die from taking 2 aspirins, so it is conceivable a taser could stop someone’s heart, especially someone already with heart conditions

2. chalkie says:

I don’t know where you got part of the information that you are say. I can tell you from a friend of mine who got tassered, he was elderly had a pace maker and guess what he died from being tasser. It is even written on his death certificate as cause of death in a sub note. I have read several stories about people have pace makers and dieing, there was 1 in essex within the last year. Tasser are a lesser form but still can be deadly. I have been tassered by a friend of mine who works in law enforcement. I don’t have a bad heart and it felt like mine was going to rip right out of my chest. Just remember it is not the voltage that kills, it is the amperage. 1 amp will fry a person.

2. AT says:

@Doug – Be quiet.

2. Connie Bohager says:

Amen to that!

3. you people are dumb says:

Your right Doug they should shot you.

4. You know it is true says:

Try being a cop for a few days. All you people who criticize how they operate would be the first freak out and shoot everyone while you peed yourselves!!!!!!!

5. db says:

Yeah, respect to the cops. Most cops are good guys/ladies. They put themselves in danger for complete strangers, I have a fairly inflated opinion of myself, but the police have the highest honor in my book, if I could be half as brave and tolerant as these people I’d be a better person.

6. RDNKKKGRL says:

U NO IF UR OUT DOING WAT YA AINT SUPPOSED TO B DOING THEN U DESERVE WATEVER U GET INCLUDING BEEING TASED ,SHOT,LOCKED UP OR WATEVER AND IF I WERE A COP U CAN BET UR BUTT SOMEBODY WOULD B GETTN SHOT (W/O PEEING MY PANTS……….LOL)RD