O’s Great Brooks Robinson Recovering After Infection

TOWSON, Md. (WJZ)—Orioles great Brooks Robinson is recovering in a hospital in Towson after he developed an infection.

Mike Schuh has more.

Robinson was scheduled to undergo an outpatient procedure Thursday. But on Wednesday night, he started to feel sick.

The 73-year-old baseball icon released this statement:

“Thank you for your outpouring of concern. I was originally scheduled for a routine outpatient procedure at Greater Baltimore Medical Center on Thursday, March 31, 2011. The evening before surgery, I developed a fever and infection. My doctors chose to admit me to aggressively treat the infection and I am responding well to antibiotics.”

On Friday, Robinson released another statement.

“I had a successful procedure yesterday to relieve the symptoms of the infection,” Robinson said, according to the news release. “The doctors are optimistic that the inflammation and infection will be completely cleared by the end of the weekend and they can move forward with my originally scheduled routine procedure early next week.”

“Anytime you say cancer it scares you to death,” Robinson said in the 2009 interview. “And it scared me to death, too.”

In the statement he released Thursday night, Robinson said he is  now cancer-free. He underwent abdominal surgery last year.

Robinson is a legend and an icon not only in Baltimore, but in the world of baseball, holding nearly a dozen league records.

He spent his entire 22-year career with the Orioles and is considered one of the best to ever play the game.

In a previous interview, Robinson talked to WJZ about how baseball influenced his life.

Denise Koch: “Did anything that you learned in those years help you through this?”

Robinson: “Just keeping a positive attitude. In baseball you play 162 games; some games you’re going to do well, other games you’re not, but you just gotta keep going.  . . . I’ve been a pretty positive guy my whole life, and I just think that the best days are ahead.”

Robinson has asked for privacy. He says he looks forward to a full recovery and thanked everyone for their prayers.

Robinson played for the Baltimore Orioles from 1955-77 and was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1983.

An email account has been set up so people can send “get well wishes” that will be forwarded to the Robinson family. Send your message to getwell@gbmc.org.

WJZ will continue to monitor Robinson’s condition and bring you any updates as needed.

More from Mike Schuh
Comments

1. susan says:

Get well soon Brooks.

1. Robert Ardinger says:

I along with Brooks and Johnny U were honored at a MD Sports Busters’ Dinner. I was the first MDer to be selected to the US Wheelchair Basketball Team in the Olympic Games in England, the Gold Cup Team in Europe and Pan American Team in Mexiclo. Now only me and my friends think I am in the same league as these tow giants… but right after the dinner was finished it was Brooks who came up to me and told how proud of me he was and wanted to know more about WC sports. I never felt more honor. Get Well Brooks

2. J-Mal Bigumms says:

Ok susan i see you

3. Kim says:

Mr. Robinson

I wish you a speedy recovery. When you first started your baseball career you lived next door to my grandmother , a single parent, Elizabeth Miller with Chuck Astrada and a few other rookies. My grandmother passed before I was born and my mom used to tell me stories how you would cut my grandmother’s lawn on Chestnut St. Thank you for being so kind to her and my kind words and speedy recovery to you

2. Jack says:

get well soon brooks

3. Mike Z says:

Brooks has been a good friend for 37 years and even helped me get my job with the Orioles in 1975. There’s nobody like Brooks. Our prayers are with Brooks, Connie and his kids.

4. Doug says:

I’m 52.
    So you can just imagine how magical he was
    to me,as a young lad.
    What an arm.
    What a smart player.
    What a gentleman.
    A true sportsman.
    Get well,Brooks.

5. Betty L. Stiegler says:

Thinking GOOD thoughts for you & your family .You are a “TRUE HERO” !!!

6. Mr Musso says:

An Icon and not just a Baltimore icon. Get well Mr Robinson!

7. drbunky says:

Get well Brooks , You are a Baltimore legend

8. Charlene says:

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. You have always been a class act, on and off the field. Get well soon.

9. Joe W says:

What a ballplayer should be both on and off the field. Todays players could learn a lot. Always a pro and a gentleman.

Get well soon Brooks

10. Jeff J says:

Get Well Fivie

11. The Bub says:

My son is named after him. Just the best, ever. Get back in the saddle soon, Brooksie.

12. Mary says:

My husband, son and I met him years ago and he posed in a photo with us. He is so down to earth and I will always remember his kindness. I still have that picture. It is priceless…..I look at that picture and am thankful that he spent time with us. Brooks we are praying for you and that your recovery is a speedy one.

13. pigeon says:

Wishes and prayers for a speedy recovery.

14. pamommom says:

Get well soon, Brooks!! Everyone loves you!!!

15. Desiree Bowman says:

Get Well wishes & prayers for you Brooks. I was just telling my daughter about you, and what a kind, friendly genuine good hearted person you are. I loved watching you play. You are my favorite baseball player of all time and when I met you years ago, it was a dream come true. I wish you the best and a speedy recovery. God Bless!

16. Ed Schoberl says:

You’ve given me the childhood memories that every child should have and more. My prayers are with you and your loved ones. THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH. And may God bless your soul !!!

17. Ellie Mooneyham says:

Get well Brooks. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

18. Gloria Kay Rouse Hardy-Stone says:

PRAYING FOR Y BROOKS

19. rich Kelly says:

Top notch all the way. Thanks for belonging to Baltimore Brooks.

20. David says:

Theres no other like him. What a MAN to look up to. Here in Baltimore you talk Johnny U and Brooks. Johnny U had a little rough exterior but when it came to Brooks, your never going to meet a nicer human being and especially with the stature that he is in this city. Brooks we love you and hope you get better soon…you will always be my favorite player of all time because I couldn’t imagine anyone that could ever take your place!!!

21. LR says:

Brooks you are more than a baseball icon. You are a baseball God.

22. Doc says:

My boys and I used to watch you play from our seats at 3rd base. It was like watching a twn star gymnist and aballet dancer all rolled into one. Thanks for the thrills!
    Get well!

23. Lady Shirley says:

Get well soon, Brooks. You were a great player & your ability to play the game with dignity & finesse is the stuff legends are made of. Hope your life is a long & healthy one.

24. Michele Elliott says:

I remember the day I went to see him doing autographs at the Crown gas station. I just wish I still had that autograph…..He will always be one of the greatest baseball players of all time. You and Boog were my favorites!!!

25. Bill C. says:

Got to spend a whole day on the bay fishing with Brooks. What a class act and true gentleman. My wife and I truly enjoyed ” our day ” with Brooks and wish him a speedy recovery.

26. Dave N says:

Brooks is a class act and I wish him well. It’s ashame the sports figures of today can’t take a lesson from the legends of the past and learn how to treat people with respect and dignity. Get well soon Brooks!

27. Janet says:

Hi Mr. Robinson, Just like the many who have already posted comments, I too, am a big fan. I am a sixty-eight year olf female , who was fortunate to attend many games played by you and those very special Oriole teams… Thanks to you and those many player who gave us so much pleasure in the Game of Baseball, along with your great values and standards..You and the others made us proud … May all of you continue to be an influence for good , to current players. What decent example you have all set. Thank You,Brooks!!!

28. Paula Kastal says:

I am sure you hate all this attention, but the people of Baltimore love you. I remember talking with you on Charles Street when I worked downtown. You were always available to your fans and that is a great quality for such a superstar. Get well soon, it’s baseball season!
    Paula Kastal and Family

29. roger lear says:

brooks, you are and have always been mr. baseball here in bawmer hon. i have your number forever tattooed on my flesh.maybe one day our paths will cross and i,ll show it to you. GET WELL SOON.

30. BEV RYAN says:

Brooks…A living legend. There is NO ONE who could play third base like OUR Brooks. I grew up in Balmer and my family and I carry you in our prayers for a speedy recovery. Just a footnote….my daughter and husband are stationed in Hawaii and she was very concerned when I told her. Our thoughts and prayers are with you “Brooksie”. Baltimore’s OWN HUMAN VACUUM CLEANER!!!!! GET WELL SOON!

31. mike snodgrass says:

BROOKS get well soon !!!!! MY prayers are with u

32. Jesse Pollock says:

Brooks,
    You are the greatest 3rd baseman in the history of baseball. Take care of yourself and get well soon. We are your fans and Love you very much

33. Barbara Hardester says:

Hello Mr. Robinson,

You may not remeber me. My name is Barbara Hardester (previously Urie). I did a rootcanal on you 29 yrs ago at Dr. Kleins office. I just wanted to wish you a speedy recovery. I’m sure you are being very well taken care of. I also wanted to say thank you for being so kind to my nephew. His name is Eric. He was at signing of yours and introduced his son to you. He named him, Brooks, after you. You see we have always been and always will be huge fans of yours.
    God Bless and take care.
    Barbara Hardester (laugh227@aol.com)

34. The Kennedys says:

I recall a day in about 1978 that you stood outdoors in the rain to talk to my sons and their Cub Scout group. You are a true gentleman, and we all wish you good health. Thanks Brooks

35. Carla Maria Bisagni says:

I remember meeting you with my mom and brothers at the Crown gas station in 1982. You let my mom take your picture with us and talked with us for a few minutes. You also met us again in 1983 with my dad, and I will never forget the time you spent with us and my dad talking baseball! You are a true gentleman! Get well Brooks!

36. Patricia Ranocchia says:

Dear Brooks
    You gave us a baseball player for all times, and we in turn gave you our hearts. You are the kindess person and most thoughtful one ever to play the game.Even though you were not born here, you came and stayed and became a Baltimorean and one of us. The pleasure you gave us watching you, and the lessons learned from you, will stay with your fans and their families forever. God Bless you and your family. Get well quickly.

37. J-Mal Bigumms says:

The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate. -Oprah
    Celebrate your life Brooksy, because I have, come visit the shrine of you in my home sometime because there’s a fat head of you and a fat head of me next to each other. I love you.

1. J-Mal Bigumms says:

oh and get well. B-More luvs yu baby.

38. GET WELL SOON I MET YOU A FEW YEARS AGO AT YOUR FRIENDS 50th ANNIVERSARY DINNER PARTY ON CAVE VALLEY & WE HAD A GREAT CONVERSATION I TOLD YOU THAT YOU ARE THE GREATEST & YOU STILL ARE. IT TOUCHED ME HOW DOWN TO EARTH YOU ARE. GET WELL SOON PLEASE. says:

GET WELL SOON #5 THE GREATEST!

39. EDWARD L JOHNSON JR says:

I MET YOU SOME YEARS AGO AT YOUR FRIEND’S 50th DINNER PARTY AT HIS HOME ON CAVE VALLEY.I WAS THE BARTENDER.I MADE A LASTING IMPRESSION ON ME BECAUSE YOU WERE SO DOWN TO EARTH.#5 THE GREATEST.WHEN I WAS LEAVING THAT NITE THE LAST THING YOU SAID TO ME JOKINGLY WAS RIPKEN HAS NOTHING ON YOU.PLEASE GET WELL SOON. I AM PRAYING FOR YOU. THE GREATEST #5 WE LOVE YOU!!

40. ned hall says: