Several Factors Contributing To Gas Price Rise

BALTIMORE (WJZ)—From the unrest in the Middle East to the summer season approaching, gas prices keep rising. Drivers are being warned they’re only going to go higher.

Andrea Fujii reports gas prices have risen six cents in the past week, with crude oil at a near 2.5-year high.

Experts say there are several reasons for the jump: continued protests in the Middle East, a weak U.S. dollar and the changeover from a winter to summer blend gasoline, which is required by the Environmental Protection Agency.

According to AAA, the average price for a gallon in Maryland is now $3.63. That’s just one cent lower than the national average at $3.64. One year ago, prices were averaging $2.82.

Experts don’t expect prices to go down anytime soon.

Gas prices hit its all-time high back in July 2008 when we were paying an average of $4.11 a gallon.

Click here to find the cheapest gas in your area.

Comments

1. bernie says:

How about good ole GREED!

2. Wheres common sense when you need it says:

They always have an excuse……..how ’bout a barrel of oil for a bushel of grain? They will comply once they get hungry.

3. stating the truth says:

JUST STOP, OPEC NEVER CUT PRODUCTION, NOR ARE THERE ANY DISRUPTIONS IN SERVICE OR SHIPING ,,,,,GREEDY BUSINESS

4. KATHY says:

GREED GREED WERE NOT STUPID WE KNOW WHAT IT IS

5. FEDUP says:

I have been told the winter blend of gas cost the most to make. So we know more people travel in the summer prices go up. Nothing to due with shortage.

6. Steven Cville says:

Has Obama done anything about it? Not that I have seen!!!! Just runs his mouth about alternative fuels and where I live E85 cost as much or more then Gas, lot of help that is!
    We are seeing a failed Presidency that no foreign governments respect and most of all FEAR. The President runs his mouth about renewable energy and how it will help with jobs yet one of the largest Wind Farms in American received a contract with the help of the Democratic Party to supply 240 Turbines made in China.The Shenyang Power Group will build and place the 2.5 maga watt turbines on the 36,000 acre site in Texas.

Less then 25% of turbines in America are made here and less then 15% of the new jobs are within America. Thanks Barrack Hussein Obama from the People’s Republic of China they need the jobs!

1. GEORGE 4,000 says:

THE COUNTRY HAS BEEN THIS WAY LONG BEFORE OBAMA. PEOPLE ARE PAYING ATTENTION NOW. JOBS HAVE BEEN LEAVING THIS COUNTRY SINCE REAGAN AND THE 80’S. BUSINESS WANTED CHEAP LABOR .IT COST TO MUCH TO MAKE ANY THING IN THIS COUNTRY. THANK’S TO UNIONS. FOREIGN CAR MAKERS GET AROUND THE TARIFF BY IMPORTING CAR PARTS FROM THEIR COUNTRY AND ASSEMBLE THEM HERE ,BY NON UNION LABOR IN CHEAP LABOR MARKETS. PARTS ARE NOT CHARGED A TARIFF. OUR CARS GOING THERE ARE CHARGED A TARIFF. OUR CAR OVER THEIR 30,000 THEIR CAR OVER THEIR 15,000. THEIR CAR ASSEMBLED HERE 15,000 OUR UNION CAR 30,000. WHAT WOULD OR WHAT ARE YOU DRIVING

1. johnsonj3 says:

George 4,000, I agree with you this has been going on for years. People just want to blame the President for everything.

2. AT says:

Oh don’t blame the president. People like you bother me. You expect the president to do everything, wipe your rear, change your baby’s diaper, take the trash out, get a grip you prick.

7. Daisy says:

And I am sure the Big Oil Companies will be posting record profits again this summer. If you want to see why the economy is going bad, we are forking out so much for gas that we can’t afford anything else.

BUT why do drivers continue to drive like fools? SPEEDING like you’re on the German Autobahn wastes fuel and just make the oil companies richer. Slow down! Save gas, save money, and save lives!

1. East Coast says:

When I drive at a reasonable speed, let’s say 60 in a 55, IN the right lane, people speed up behind me, riding my bumper and give me the finger, screaming at me as they go past. If you aren’t going 70, then there’s something wrong with you according to them. I shouldn’t have to feel that way to drive on the beltway at the posted speed with my family in the car.

The people who don’t have to worry about affording gas are the ones making the decisions. They don’t care about our ability to pay and we keep electing the same fools into office time and time again. We keep their wallets nice and fat.

2. pigeon says:

Their slowing down does not help me put gas in my car!

8. tylerjake says:

This is the new reality. Everyone had better get used to it. Future generations will be less off than we are today. It’s just a simple fact.

9. Brian says:

There is no shortage of oil the country is flooded with oil. It’s the greedy guys up in Wall St thats made oil so expensive.
    With reference to comments on Obama: I can well remember Obama saying the people want change in his election camapign. He got ellected on a promise of change. I ask you have you seen any change? I certainly haven’t except the cost of living has changed. We are all poorer under Obama

1. AT says:

Poorer? I’ve had a $40,000 a year salary increase since Obama took office. Why? Because I WORK for what I want, I don’t need the president to give me handouts. Stop blaming the president.

10. Doug says:

Never talked about;
    heavy people need more horse power to get them up the next hill.
    Who will burn more fuel ?
    A family of 4 at 150 lb. each, with a 4 cylinder engine
    or
    a family of 4 at 250 lb. each, with a 8 cylinder engine.

11. Steven C. Di Pietro says:

The WALL STREET Oil Speculators who buy oil on credit without needing to have money of their own up front and selling it for a profit is what raises the price of gasoline as it creates a false shortage. This practice must be regulated first before prices will ever come down.

1. Ken says:

Cannot say anymore then that because supply and demand have gone the way of the do-do.

12. pigeon says:

If there is going to be regulation, then it needs to be AGAINST imports of ANY kind. We have our resources (natural and human) that we need to turn to. Too many countries getting rich off our hard earned money and we (our government) are allowing it. Go shopping one day and see how many things you were thinking about buying are made in the USA. DAMN FEW! Spending a couple of pennies (figure of speach) more and keeping all of that $$ in the USA is worth it (unless you shop at French or other foreign owned stores).

13. Steve says:

Look @ them there cute little $$$$$ Money Guzzlers $$$$$ Only $5.00 a mile, and if you hurry now they will throw in a free car was provided you drive across town, sucking down more $$$$$. Hurry this offer is due to expire, soon,,,,LM@O

14. LEORETROSSI says:

DRILL BABY DRILL NO MORE EXCUSES ILL VOTE FOR WHO EVER SAY LETS GET IT DONE DRILL , ENOUGHT IS ENOUGHT ITS HERE DRILL IT FOR THE GOOD OF THE USA.

15. Jerry says:

I agree with the bumper sticker I saw which reads ” I LOVE MY COUNTRY BUT AFFRAID OF THE GOVERNMENT.”