Police To Lead Massive Search For Phylicia Barnes This Weekend

BALTIMORE (WJZ) — There are new details emerging in the search for missing teen Phylicia Barnes.

Mike Hellgren reports police are going to be doing two different large-scale searches this weekend.

They will lead one at an undisclosed location with help from the FBI and other police agencies.  The other one is where Phylicia vanished and they need the public’s help with that.

Three months ago, teen honor student Phylicia Barnes disappeared from her sister’s apartment in Northwest Baltimore.

“I feel in my heart and mind that she’s strong, and she knows we’re looking for her,” said Russell Barnes, Phylicia’s father.

Police just announced they are planning a massive search with more than 200 officers from around Maryland and the FBI at an undisclosed wooded area this weekend for any signs that could lead them to her.

“Through our investigation, we identified this as an area of interest. It was associated with one of the people of interest we talked to, one of the 30 individuals that last saw Phylicia. This location was identified as a location we needed to search,” said Anthony Guglielmi, Baltimore City Police.

Police are also looking for volunteers to help them canvas the area around Reisterstown Road Plaza. That’s where Barnes was last seen alive and where people are still on edge.

“I got a sister that’s 17-years-old.  That hit home definitely,” said Shaniqua Moore, who lives near where Barnes was last seen.

“We are putting tremendous resources behind this effort. We’re going to have roughly 200 members of the community canvassing, going door-to-door, putting fliers on cars, trying to generate as much intelligence as possible so that we can properly investigate the case,” said Guglielmi. “We know there are people out there who know more than they’ve possibly shared with police. We’re asking those individuals, if you know anything about the case, please come forward.”

Barnes was visiting from North Carolina when she went missing. Police suspect foul play is involved.

Despite nationwide publicity, involvement of top elected officials, numerous interviews and dozens of search warrants, police are no closer to finding Barnes now than they were the day she vanished, seemingly without a trace.

“That homicide squad that started this case is still actively working this case,” said Guglielmi. “Our resources expand and contract based on intelligence and the needs of the investigation.”

Tips are beginning to dwindle. Only five have been called in to the dedicated hotline in the past two months.

“I miss her…it’s indescribable,” said Russell Barnes. “Please return our child. She has such a bright spirit.  We know that she would just not leave.”

Police will be putting out information on the search on their Facebook and Twitter pages.

Several rewards are being offered for information in this case.  There is still a tip line at 855-223-0033 that’s staffed 24-7.

More from Mike Hellgren
Comments

1. sillyman micheals says:

how do all of you that are searching for this young lady not been able to find
    her up to this point.. maybe and the possibilities are that she has been kidnapped
    and possibly sold into slavery as so many other young women have as we
    speak

1. LSD says:

SHE’S KINAPPED BY CRACK BANDITS

1. deja Nicholson says:

GROW UP

2. vette says:

you need to grow up this is not a laughing matter if yo feel as though she was kidnapped by crack bandits than maybe the police need ti investigate you !

2. countyrez says:

@Sillyman,
    What are you doing to help find this young lady? Critizing those who are actually out pounding the pavement and chasing down every lead is a BS move. Get from behind the monitor and go help…..it said they will need the public’s help.

3. countyrez says:

@Sillyman,
    Why don’t you get from being the monitor and help the police and hundreds of others who are tracking down the leads.

4. heather lee-boyd says:

Ppl get ur minds right….a girl is missing and she needs to be found.. take ur egos out of the spotlight and lend a hand…ijs

5. sandra cole says:

I think someone has killed this young lady,maybe she is in a sewer drain somewhere since on land no one has found her,god bless her family!I wish them the best!

6. Cee Cee says:

I Pray that they do find her atleast so that the family can have peace. Furthermore Whom ever dfid something to her im sure they are not a peace with themselves and eventually i do belive someone will come forward this case just seems to be taking sometime. But I Do belive unanswered questions will be answered.

7. stacey thomas says:

that is so sad i hope they found her alive i will be praying for the safe return

8. Ms. Jones says:

I am praying for this bright young lady and her safe return. Her family will remain in my prayers. It saddens my heart to see any child or person in this situation. I wish the world was a kinder place to live in.

9. K Blackwood says:

The fact that they are putting this much effort into search for any child at this moment in Baltimore says a lot, also the fact that they are putting this much attention on an African American child is even better, we always hear about other children but never African American’s, my heart and prayer goes out to the family regardless of the situation, and this is how EVERY person should be looked after when they go missing, so opposed to question it thank God for it, and start pressing our law officers to rise to these standards in EVERY SITUATION

1. pfft says:

Uhh… I see just as many black kids on the news going missing as white kids. Pulling hte race card constantly is only making things worse. The reason you think everything is about race is because you are apparently makng it all about it.

I hope they find her and the POS that is responsible.

10. AARON says:

HEY LOOK PEOPLE , THIS IS A YOUNG LADY THAT HAS SOMEONE OUT THEIR THAT LOVE HER JUST LIKE YOU DO . EVERYBODY JUST THINK FOR A MINUTE IF IT WAS YOUR CHILD OR FAMILY MEMBER , I AGREE WITH THE YOUNG LADY THAT MADE THE COMMENT (HEATHER , AND SILLYMAN ) MADE BECAUSE SILLYMAN YOU ARE RIGHT THAT IS THE BIGGEST MONEY MAKER IN THE CRIME WOURLD TODAY AS WE SPEAK , HEATHER YOU HIT IT RIGHT ON THE NOISE . PEOPLE NEED TO HAVE A HEART NOT ONLY FOR THIER OWN BUT FOR SOMEONE ELSE TOO . THIS YOUNG LADY IS MISSING LETS FIND HER AND BRING HER HOME TO HER FAMILY . PRAYERS GO OUT TO THE FAMILY AND FRIENDS OF THIS YOUNG LADY . GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME , AND HE WILL HERE ALL OF US IF WE JUST PRAY FOR THIS YOUNG LADY AND HER FAMILY . I HAVE A DAUGHTER AND I WOULD BE THANKFUL FOR WHAT EVER YOU ALL CAN DO . PEACE

11. K Blackwood says:

CORRECTION: If you have to put out a disclaimer before making a comment in a situation as sensitive as this, maybe it SHOULD NOT be made….

12. GOOD LOOKING says:

crack cocaine bandits got saying don’t paying the ransom

13. delores perry says:

i hope they find her alive and god bless everyone one that has somethine positive to say this is not a JOKE PEOPLE

14. JOSH says:

What i just dont understand is how so many people can actually sit here and think, “wow, this is good they are giving attention for a african american teenager.” It completely blows my mind how racist people are in this city! There should be no racial gestures ever made about this case and the fact that there are so many african americans out there who think this, just goes to show how much They are pushing racial issues. You never hear or see a white person writing, “oh it’s good they are looking for the white girl in baltimore city..” Grow up people, we don’t owe you anything or special attention! You are only thing “holding” yourselves down.

1. K Blackwood says:

who is “they” and this comment here alone speaks for it self and should answer your question as to why……” Grow up people, we don’t owe you anything or special attention! You are only thing “holding” yourselves down. Those who have never been affected by “poor race relations” would never understand….I am glad you may not see it this way, but unless you LIVE or interact in a community that is always affect by poor “race relations” or the lack of trust or effort put into solving crimes in our community, I would never EXPECT you to understand but instead show empathy opposed to posting slander such as this………BUT THE FOCUS TODAY…is about them finding this baby….so race ASIDE..I would love to continue this debate anyday…lets focus on her returning home..and pick this up at a later time…

15. Kimberly Blackwell says:

THAT GRL IS DEAD THEY HAVENT HEARD ANYTHING OR SEEN ANYTHING OR GOT A RANSOM CALL TRUST ME SHES DEAD I HATE TO SAY THAT BUT ITS THE FACTS AND Y DID THEY WAIT 3 ENTIRE MONTHS TO SEARCH THAT UNDISCLOSED LOCATION…………………..

1. Billiam says:

Well, Ms Kimberly – I guess you’re one less person that the police won’t have to worry about helping search for her. Thanks for nothing and thanks for your valuable input.

16. joe silvestri says:

someone maybe dead and where pulling another race card give it a freaken break dam

17. K Blackwood says:

Actually those of you who do your research before speaking, statistics have shown that the MASS search for African American children is not as frequent, I am not making it a race thing, as it is important to find ALL children, but unfortunately effort put into BLACK children is not made as public as others, nor is the response as quick as someone else also pointed out in an earlier post, so for that I am greatful, again, the ignorance that we face daily is unfortunate…..my prayers go out just the same, and for those who take offense to my comments, you should, because the truth hurts, and maybe JUST MAYBE as I stated earlier it will cause all of US one race or the other….to put the pressure on our law officials to raise the standards at which they solve crime…..feathers ruffled…GREAT……I wont apologize for it….but I wont sweep any FACTS under the rug, nor will I use profanity to belittle anyone else for a lack of vocabulary….

18. Georgia says:

I listened to the B’more PD presser, and Anthony G did not say 200 police officers would be searching. He did say 200 civilians doing the canvassing.
    Where did the 200 law enforcement come from? I would like to know if that was a reporter error, or if the reporter got more info that what was said in the press release??
    And this is very positive news for Phylicia and her family/friends. Such a massive search was not possible in the winter, given where LE wanted to search. Hopefully the snow/ice/cold has preserved whatever evidence their might be, and whoever took Phylicia can be brought to justice.

19. jack says:

im just confused as why this case is so glorified and sticks out much more than all the others, anyone have an answer for that? a non biased one.

1. hvillage says:

which other ones are you talking about?

20. Karen Reisler says:

After following this case since it started it still baffles my mind why they took so long to search the dumpsters. They would have been emptied a couple of times before they were searched. Why not search the place where all of the trash from the dumpsters are taken. The last scent the dog had was near the dumpsters. Anyone have any insight on this?

21. Karen Reisler says:

Does anyone know where to go if we want to help in the search?

22. aclark says:

This response is to Phylicia family and friends. As a person whom has experienced this 1st hand. I’m here to tell you to ignore all the NAW sayer’s. They are the Devil’s soliders. They have no place here. Remember the saying,”the devil gets mad when he don’t know what’s going on with you”. So with that being said, when you see negative remarks. Act as if you never saw it and keep on praying. Eventually they will find something else to do. I know they tried me with my daughter’s situation.

23. ratm33 says:

She is probably in Cancun partying did anyone ever think of that. This is just the police playing the save face game. They have nothing new. If they have nothing new than how is it the story says new details emerging. They are doing the same thing they did before. And questioning the same people all over again.Trust me I wish they would find this girl alive one day.

24. ratm33 says:

By the way what ever happened to the lead detective in this case. He was the one that ran his police vehicle off the road and then left the scene. Why have we not heard anything else about that. I want to know. Hey WJZ why dont you tell us what happened to that crooked officer. Oh thats right you are helping sweep it under the rug just like they do for all of the above the law BS police officers. That cop was probably drunk and left the scene so he would not be found in that condition. Until I hear different that is my conclusion.

25. Avalon says:

I am feeling she is in a abanded house, find her

26. Doug says:

Check parks,ditches,dumpsters and the landfills.
    Some one got to her.

27. Shut Up says:

I sent this story over and over to Nancy Grace, The story was on the Jane Velez Mitchell show as well as Nancy Grace… It got national attention, however I felt the family was nasty and so were the viewers. I am not a Nancy Grace supporter due to her loose tongue but…… People made it political, because she is black. SHUT UP ABOUT HER BEING BLACK, no one cares, shes a missing child. I don’t care if you are black or someone you know is black… We are all people so SHUT UP ABOUT IT ALREADY !! Find the girl’s body so her family can rest and go on with life !! Leaving color behind already !!

28. Lo says:

My prayers go out to Phylicia Barnes & her family. Anyone interested in taking part in the neighborhood canvas should call the City Police Public Affairs Division at 410-396-2012 (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42475878/). I went to this site and found the information if you wanted to help.

29. sika13 says:

I am the cousin of phylicia barnes we pray everyday for her to come home and I would do the same thing if it were anyone else family please be positive we are very vulnerable these days ur comments should be uplifting

30. Andrea says:

I was driving through Ellicott City today and turned on Hilltop to head towards the Patapsco State Park. As I entered the narrow roadway that leads to the old paper mill there were tons of people and vehicles parked along the road. Then I saw the officers and search and rescue teams…set up right at the entrance of the paper mill and the old St Marys grounds. Didn’t realize what was going on until I got home and looked it up online. I pray that they continue these efforts to search for Phylicia…I hope today led to at least some more helpful clues for police. Phylicia and her family are in my prayers.

31. bruh-man says:

HA LET”S TURN BACK THE HANDS OF TIME AND MAKE HER THE ALL AMERIKKA GIRL. YOU KNOW, THE ONE WITH BLONDHAIR, BLUE EYES, PALE SKIN AND LET’S CALL HER WENDY. SHE WOULD BE FOUND BY NOW

32. Sarita Unique says:

EVERYBODY THIS IS A HEART BREAKING STORY..ALL THIS NEGATIVITY IS REALLY UNCALLED FOR..NO MATTER WHAT RACE,RELIGION, OR SEXUALITY A PERSON IS.THEIR STILL “HUMAN” HER FAMILY IS STRESSING OUT THEIR CHILD HASN’T BEEN FOUND…AND IT SADDENS ME THAT “ADULTS” THAT WE ALL CLAIM TO BE HERE AND SOME OF THESE COMMENTS WENT TO A WHOLE OTHER LEVEL.. IM PRAYING FOR PHYLICIA’S RETURN HER FAMILY NEEDS CLOSURE AND THAT’S ALL THAT MATTERS AT THIS POINT..I WILL CONTINUE TO PRAY FOR FAMILY..

33. RA says:

from the first breaking news of her disappearance until i read the comments listed on this story, i had never given it a thought as to whether Phylicia was black or white. The only description for me would have been missing, scared and in danger. Although i am not surprised by the ability of some to turn this into a racial debate, it does weigh heavily on my heart….. Through all of the negativity i only hope that we all share a common “bottom line”….. that a bright, beautiful young woman with a promising future is missing and needs the help of every man and woman, regardless of their skin color, to help find her way back to her loving family. My prayers are with the Barnes family!

34. rIester maximale förderung says:

Construct who you are a donkey fill (sich eine Eselsbrücke bauen) equals create a mnemonic device. Accomplish the particular soar (mach pass away Fliege) = beat that ! never help to make a great hippo out of bug (aus einer…wohn riester nachteile