WATCH WJZ TUESDAY @ 11 A.M.: New Baltimore Mayor Inauguration Ceremony

Trial Begins For Man Accused Of Killing Detective Over Parking Spot

BALTIMORE (WJZ) — Was it a senseless murder or self-defense?  Those are the opening arguments from the prosecution and defense in the trial of a man accused of killing a city police officer in a fight over a parking spot.

Mike Schuh reports the courtroom was packed with police.

Detective Brian Stevenson’s partner was in the front row. The defense is trying to put police — both the deceased officer and those who investigated — on trial.

Off-duty officer Brian Stevenson died over a parking space in Canton. Sian James, 25, was arrested, accused of hitting Stevenson in the head with a rock.

In court Thursday, the defense tried to portray the off-duty officer as bringing on the altercation himself. They said he was cursing at people in the parking lot and threatening to shoot people.

One witness testified that she saw James hit the officer with an unknown object and another testified that the officer was threatening and that he smelled of liquor.

Witness Robert Gibson argued with the officer. His testimony didn’t match sworn statements. Gibson says, “Detectives threatened to charge me, unless my written statement was more like what they wanted to hear.”

Gibson is the roommate of the accused, but he was one of the three witnesses who said that they saw James hit the off-duty officer.

The defense is expected to present its witnesses Friday to try to further the idea to the jury that this was self-defense.  The trial is expected to wrap up Friday or Monday.

More from Mike Schuh
Comments

1. Doug says:

Sounds like a story of brotherly love.

2. Haywood Jablome says:

Was this story written by a drunk?

3. Wilma Fingerdoo says:

4. PAUL E. MICELLI says:

I THOUGHT SO

5. tony says:

Come on people, A man lost his life here. have some respect

6. DIS1 says:

OH MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I KNEW THIS OFFICER PERSONALLY AND HE DIDNT EVEN CARRY HIS GUN WHEN HE WAS OFF. THIS DEFENDANT IS PLAYING ON THE MINDS OF THE CITIZENS OFF BMORE BASED ON THE RECENT HAPPENINGS WITH POLICE. THIS OFFICER WAS ONE OF THE NICER GUYS YOU COULD EVER MEET. OFFICER FRIENDLY SO TO SPEAK!!!

7. Jeff says:

In the city this is what the justice system is becoming, a joke. You can’t blame the prosecution all the time for wanting to give plea deals. Look at the Jury’s. In a lot of cases the defense witnesses change their stories, the defense blames the police and the jusy made up of city residents just eats it up. In a lot of cases there is one or more jurors that just refuse to find someone guilty on principle rather than the facts. The system in general is broken.

8. nic says:

once he getts to jail he can re aquaint him self with other family and new gang friends!! send him out of the area to a jail in western md or the eastern shore that way he will have to fend for himself in an enviroment which hopefully we just violent os the way he killed this cop

9. Ex-Baltimore says:

Once again, this only proves my deep feelings that it is just not safe to party with Baltimore’s Black citizens. Nothing but low I.Q. violent savages who lack the intelligence of civilized conflict resolution. It is a very sad fact that I am treated worst by my fellow Blacks than by White people who are always very friendly and decent to me. What is wrong with Black Baltimorians? I find them to be the most hostile and mean Black people that I’ve ever seen in my entire life and I’ve been all over this country!

1. jobaby says:

This is for “Ex-Baltimore” – What you just wrote is a lot of BS. If you are so sick of Baltimoreans – stay out of our business – you don’t live here anymore!. Your white friends could not care less about your B-arse – so don’t fool yourself! All blacks/whites are not bad, but arse holes like you is what keep ‘HATE ALIVE” Where ever you are living now – STAY THE HELL THERE AND NEVER COME BACK!!

10. nic says:

The city is out of control i say we just put a fence around the whole thing and call it the eastern seaboard correctional facility. my father walked abeat for 26 years in dc and detroit and even he says the bro’s here are far worse than any other city! nobody owes anyone here anything! but having a dem in the white house makes it far far worse,, so whats next a program for people who have been injured by police while commiting a crime!?!?!?
    i say bring back chain gangs, prision farms, penal colonys or make them go to Japan to help clean up,, do something with them rather than just sit around absorbing tax dollars and playing cards!

11. nic says:

The city is out of control i say we just put a fence around the whole thing and call it the eastern seaboard correctional facility. my father walked abeat for 26 years in dc and detroit and even he says the “locals” here are far worse than any other city! nobody owes anyone here anything! but having a dem in the white house makes it far far worse,, so whats next a program for people who have been injured by police while commiting a crime!?!?!?

12. Ex-Baltimore says:

Jo-baby:
    You just proved my point! Yeah, I’m in a safe and mostly white community that I love now that I’m high income from years of hard work in college and from my high paid profession in the medical field. The first thing I did when I made it was escape from you violent baboon savaged. Im headed to Europe for vacation this summer for three weeks! There won’t be a Black Batimiriam anywhere in sight! Yippppeee!

1. sheriffwillie says:

Ex, No but you’ll have Muslims crawling up your ass & they come in all colors man.

13. Ex Balt supporter says:

Yeah for Ex Baltimore he speaks the truth. The people who doubt his word are the same people that in the back of their minds know that they could not walk many of Baltimore’s black nieghbirhoods without fear of violent crime happening to them.

14. What did the 5 fingers say to the face says:

Sonja meet you their, Oh don’t forget to wear a bullet proof vest