WATCH WJZ @ NOON TODAY | The Army-Navy rivalry comes to Baltimore. WJZ has live pre-game ceremonies and the game | Who Will Win? | Army-Navy 2016

Md. House OKs Illegal Immigrant In-State Tuition

ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) — The Maryland House of Delegates has passed a bill allowing illegal immigrants to pay in-state tuition, if they meet certain conditions.

The House voted 74-66 on Friday for the measure.

The Senate already has approved legislation. The two chambers will have to work out some differences added by the House before the legislature adjourns Monday night for the bill to go to Gov. Martin O’Malley. The governor has said he’ll sign the measure.

Illegal immigrants would have to complete two years at a community college and show that their parents paid state income taxes for the three years before they enrolled to qualify for in-state tuition.

Democrats say it creates opportunity for people who have lived in Maryland for years, but Republicans contend it rewards illegal behavior at taxpayers’ expense.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Comments

1. Wheres common sense when you need it says:

What part of illegal don’t you get? I guess I don’t have to pay taxes any more because illegal is ok. Glad I am starting to understand.

2. Not going to take it anymore says:

Democrats are destroying this State with their bleeding heart BS. Next election, I’m going to vote for ANYONE except whoever approved this bill. This was brought in the backdoor rather then put up for a vote from the LEGAL, VOTING citizens of this State. Victor Ramerez if a little too sneaky for my blood. That man needs to go…

3. Ramarro L. Smith says:

Now supposedly these kids parents worked and payed taxes, thus the kids are going to get all this package. However, just how did they pay taxes without a Social Security number and other identification? This whole thinjg STINKS/Reeks of CORRUPTION, but them Maryland is one of THE MOST Corrupt States oin this Nation.

4. j kramer says:

allyou need to know is 2 words. Illegal immigrants.Maryland lawmakers are violating the constitution by passing any law that gives illegal immigrants rights in this are any state in the union. They cannot give rights to any illegal immigrant until they make them legal citizens of the usa and the state of maryland. They do not have the right to bypass the constitution of the usa and should be held accountable for their illegal activities including censure and dismissal from their office of which they are bound to uphold the laws of the constitution of the USA.

5. fjm says:

Ridiculous. Instead of trying to fight anymore, I am moving out of the State. I will find someplace else that will not spend my money on illegal immigrants and allow me to protect myself by carrying my own weapon. .

1. men says:

I agree very much. We need a lot of help in this state

6. Herman Glimsher says:

IS IT POSSIBLE TO GET LIST OF ALL THE LAWMAKERS THAT VOTED FOR THIS PIECE OF C–P?????!?!?!?!??!

7. james ayd says:

No wonder the citizens of Maryland are so angry. Passing a bill that would let illegal immigrants to pay in state tuition is nothing more than telling the citizens of Maryland that during this critical budget time, our representatives ignore the majority of the Maryland citizens. I know of one situation where a student who lived in Maryland who then moved out for a year and who returned to Maryland while her husband was deployed. She once again became a student at Towson. She was told that she had to pay out of state tuition. This is unacceptable!

8. FEDUP says:

I hope to read who voted for this bill, so I can be sure to vote against them in the next election. The Democrats are sell the STATE down the river for these illegal immigrants. And fjm I’m with you ! Two years and me and my retirement are gone.

9. Herman Glimsher says:

STATE EMPLOYEES ARE BEING LAID-OFF, THE FED IS SHUTTING DOWN, BUT ALL YOU WETS CAN GO TO OUR SCHOOLS JUST LIKE THE LEGAL CITIZENS IN MARYLAND………………UNBELIEVABLE!!!

10. FEDUP says:

I have a question about the picture with this article. If the people in the picture are Illegal Immigrants how did they get into the STATE HOUSE??????????
    Did they go across the street and get a pass from uncle OWE Malley?

11. PAUL E. MICELLI says:

OUR ELECTED OFFICIALS HAVE TAKEN THIS COUNTRY TO THE BRINK OF DESTRUCTION. ELECTED OFFICIALS DO NOT OBEY THE LAW. THEY SHOULD BE BROUGHT BEFORE A COMMITTEE FOR THEIR ROLE IN ABETING CRIMINAL BEHAVIOR AND REWARDING PEOPLE THAT BREAK THE LAW. ILLEGAL IS ILLEGAL. IF IT MEANS SOMETHING ELSE PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME.

12. PAUL E. MICELLI says:

I WAS A REGISTERED DEMOCRAT SINCE JULY 28, 1969, I JUST CHANGED PARTIES BECAUSE THE DEMOCRATS SEEM TO HAVE LOST THEIR COMMON SENSE AND LOGIC. ILLEGAL IS ILLEGAL.

13. Mike says:

Josee go home!!!!!!

14. pigeon says:

Is there a lawyer out there who could draw up a lawsuit against the State of MD for this action which they have taken? Also something that would disband the Senate and the House, and put the citizens back in charge?
    Or at least get a hearing specialist in to examine everyone of them inasmuch as it doesn’t appear they heard what the LEGAL citizens of this state had to say.
    I CAN DREAM CAN’T I?!?!?!?!?!

15. OmalleyOwnsYOU says:

eat the taxes you liberal fools hahahaha suffer

16. Jay Brohawn PhD says:

If this law is enacted, and found Constitutional, any U.S. citizen must be allowed in-state tuition by force of US Law Title 8, Ch14, Sec 1623.

The result would be that there would be no “out-of-State rate”; everyone, especially Marylanders will be subject to enormous rate hikes.

17. Mike says:

What part of word illegal you Democrats don’t understand. I am ashamed
    to call myself a Democrat. The Democrats care more for the illegal aliens
    than American citizens.

18. Nora says:

Wow. State employees are getting furloughed left and right b/c of budget issues, legitimate MD resident students face ever-increasing tuition, and our elected representatives vote for increased taxes for us and in-state tuition for ILLEGAL aliens. This is what happens when the elected officials know that most MD residents don’t pay attention, or are so complacent that they don’t even bother to vote. How is it right that an out of state American citizen is entitled to less services than an illegal alien? Does MD grant in-state tuition to non-resident military servicemembers living here?

19. MadInMD says:

ILLEGAL. The end. If they want to re-structure immigration, then that’s another discussion. But for now? Allowing ILLEGAL immigrants in-state status for tuition when Maryland is in a huge budget crunch? Insane.

I’ll be voting for anyone who runs against O’Malley. And I’ll be voting to unseat anyone in my area that voted for this insane piece of legislation.