Obama Signs Short-Term Bill Staving Off Shutdown

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama has signed a short-term spending bill to pay for federal operations through Friday.

The measure is the first piece of a historic agreement to cut billions in spending and avoid the first government shutdown in 15 years.

Obama signed the temporary extension in private Saturday and the White House announced it with a news release.

The measure was needed to keep the government open long enough for Congress to sign off on the budget deal reached just before the midnight deadline Friday by Obama, Republican House Speaker John Boehner and Democratic Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid.

That deal keeps the government open through the remaining six months in the 2011 budget year, while cutting $38 billion.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press.  All Rights Reserved.)

Comments

1. Mary says:

FEDERAL WORKERS NEEDS TO BE FURLOUGED. STATE WORKERS ACROSS THE NATION HAVE HAD TO SACRIFICE AND LIVE WITH THE CUTS. I DO NOT GET IT. THE FEDERAL GOV’T WORKERS SEEMS TO HAVE IT MADE. BETTER SALARIES AND BENEFITS AND BECAUSE CONGRESS DOES NOT WANT TO GIVE UP ON THEIR PAY, SO THEY VOTED ON THE DEAL TO PASS THE BUDGET. IF THAT IS NOT A CONFLICT OF INTEREST, I DON’T KNOW WHAT IS. ALL THIS TALK ABOUT THEM WANTING TO GIVE UP THEIR PAY WAS A BUNCH OF BS. CUTS NEED TO BE MADE ACROSS THE BOARD, NOT JUST THE PROGRAMS.

1. UnionFed8r says:

“Federal Workers NEEDS to be furloughed” I pray you’re not a teacher…

2. Wheres common sense when you need it says:

So what, should we all jump up and cheer? These idiots should have had this work done weeks ago. Instead, they worry about evrything else, that by the way, isn’t even the business of the government (i.e. abortion, gay marriage). The whole bunch should be re-called, their salaries and benefits revoked and shipped out the door for good. All they do is argue over which one of them gets the biggest part of wealth for themselves. I think Congress should be labeled as non-essential employees because they don’t get anything done. Now we have to listen to how they did this great job and the American people should be proud of their work and how it will benefit us, Blah Blah Blah. We as American people deserve better leadership, but then again, we do keep re-electing them>

3. Herman Glimsher says:

ALL POLITICIANS ARE USELESS!!!!!

1. Skott Twiztidkitten Barlow-Connelly says:

Agreed, they are just like a dirty diaper…

4. Herman Glimsher says:

“This is historic, what we’ve done,” said the third man in the talks, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev.

YOU’D THINK THEY INVENTED THE CURE FOR CANCER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HARRY REID IS AN IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. RavenLude says:

is it me or is cbs praising the dems here.
    hey obama the only reason this was “the biggest annual budget cut in history” is because u spent more money in 2 years and put us in more debt than any other president of all time

1. Blueberry says:

That’s a myth. Sorry to call you out.

6. Rottgirl54 says:

I have a solution to cut a large part of government spending. Remove all free health care benefits for present and former members of congress. Become a member of congress and you are guaranteed premium (they don’t pay for anything) health care for the rest of their lives! Watch them scramble to fix healthcare when they have to pay for it like the rest of us. And what a savings for the taxpayers! Regardless of the party, walk a mile in our shoes..get a blister or two.

7. Mary says:

Hey Rottgirl 154 i agree 100 %.

8. Mary says:

Union Fed 8 r…don’t bother praying for me. I was a state employee and I had to sacrifice like all of the other state employees. We are paid a lot less than the Federal workers who do the same work that we do. No one likes pay cuts but it is better than being without a job. So many of us did what needed to be done to help balance a budget that is out of control. Now it is high time for the fed to do the same. It better not be a repeat of 1995 when the Feds were off and then got paid. That was the dumbest thing the stupid Congress ever did. The purpose of trying to solve the budget problems is to be furloughed and that is it. Have a nice day!

9. Jammy Ross says:

Dear Congress, Last year I mismanaged my funds and this year I cannot decide on a budget. Until I have come to a unified decision that fits all of my needs and interests, I will have to shut down my checkbook and will no longer be able to pay my taxes. I’m sure you’ll understand. Thank you very much for setting an example we can all follow.

1. Joe says:

Jammy where is the like button on this because it’s hilarious!

10. Jammy Ross says:

TO ME I THINK OBAMA IS JUST AS BAD AS BUSH IS.

11. Harry Quade says:

I found this on YouTube, its a protest vedio. some might find it funny, but some may suport the movement.