WATCH WJZ @ NOON TODAY | The Army-Navy rivalry comes to Baltimore. WJZ has live pre-game ceremonies and the game | Who Will Win? | Army-Navy 2016

Baltimore Farmers’ Market Bans Smoking

BALTIMORE (AP) — The Baltimore Farmers’ Market & Bazaar is going smoke-free.

The Baltimore Office of Promotion & the Arts says the ban aimed at promoting healthful living in the city starts Sunday.

The promotions office and mayor’s office say there are no plans to extend the ban to other outdoor spaces. But Health Commissioner Oxiris Barbot says she hopes other farmers’ markets follow with their own bans.

Bernie Price, who sits on the policy board for the national Farmers’ Market Coalition and is the co-director of Freshfarm Markets, which runs 11 markets in the Maryland-D.C. region, says the ban is unusual.

One place that does is the Olney Farmers’ and Artists’ Market in Montgomery County.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press.  All Rights Reserved.)

Comments

1. ratm33 says:

I dont smoke and even i think this is a bunch of B .S. Cant smoke outside, man the freedom is going just as quick as our tax money is.

2. PAUL E. MICELLI says:

WHAT HAPPENED TO FREEDOM, TO DO WHAT ONE WANTS TO DO WHEN THEY WANT TO DO IT. OUR RIGHTS ARE BEING SLOWLY ERODED AWAY, WHAT NEXT, ARE THEY GOING TO TELL US HOW TO DRESS AND WHAT TO EAT.

3. Brenda Johnson says:

I am a smoker and want to “STOP”. I understand the the ban. It is a “HEALTH” infringement on the rights of others.

4. COALETTA THE THIRD says:

too much goverment

5. Herman Glimsher says:

IF YOU CAN’T RESIST THE URGE TO SMOKE FOR 20 MINUTES WHILE YOU’RE PICKING THROUGH FRUITS AND VEGETABLES YOU ARE A COMPLETE LOSER!!!!!!

6. sheriff willie says:

Can’t we at least smoke medical marijuana?

7. Dorchester says:

Anyone who goes to a farmers market to buy food that is available in any store is a LOSER, Herman. They just want to say that’s where they got it or that they went to a farmers market. There are more carcinogens in the air of the city then in a cigarette. That ring around the city in the sky on a summer day???? What is that? It ain’t cigarette smoke, baby!

1. the honest 1 says:

I’d rather go to a farmers market than the grocery store for a couple of reasons-the top being, I can barter!! I can find out exactly what they use for pest control and the produce is fresh, not frozen. The cost of tomatoes is huge now! I can get more bang for my buck at the farmers market than I can at Giant and I know the produce hasn’t been sitting out and covered in wax to increase shelf life. Shopping smarter doesn’t make you a loser. People should wash their produce before consuming it regardless-so whether or not a smoker smoked near or touched produce shouldn’t even be an argument. Oddly enough, being new to MD-I don’t understand why this state even has emission testing every year? But don’t do full car inspections….it’s the strangest thing-and the air quality suggests even further, it’s just a way to make an easy buck off the driver. Plus with all the gas hikes, taxes, ext-if a state was trying to deter business or economic growth, MD is the poster child!

8. ratm33 says:

Herman just doesnt get it. He is a drone idiot like the rest. He does not care about the freedoms we have. What next you cant smoke in yoyr neighborhood because kids play their. Oh i got an idea why dont we open up houses that they are only allowed to smoke in and than charge them to come in. Go choke on a farmers market apple core.

9. stationnorth says:

As a smoker, it looks like I will be taking my money back to the supermarket. It is actually funny because everyone drives to the farmers market and pollutes the air with car exhaust. there is more car and truck exhuast then cigarette smoke.

10. pigeon says:

I WAS a smoker and am now on oxygen 24/7.
    HOWEVER, I do not believe the people running the market own the property where it is held. As such, how can they inforce such a “law”?
    Be for for against smoking, this is down right illegal!

11. sheriff willie says:

Everything about Baltimore is bad & so is the market. Its a feel good story on the 5pm news that Yuppie a….holes love. They love all that is green. Money, the Jolly Green Giant’s dic.

12. Cathy says:

I think it is a great idea,who wants to go thru food when people that have smoked has touch everthing,I remember when you good smoke in stores and it would stink,I agree! if people cannot stop for at least 1 hr or so then rgey have a problem

1. CONSIDERATE SMOKER says:

ITS NOT LIKE THEY ARE GOING TO STAND THERE AND BLOW SMOKE DIRECTLY ON THE PRODUCE…DO YOU REALLY THINK WE ARE THAT DUMB AND INCONSIDERATE? AS A SMOKER, I AM RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS AROUND ME AS ARE MOST OTHER SMOKERS. WE ARE NOT GOING TO BLOW SMOKE DIRECTLY AT OTHERS AND ON THE MERCHANDISE. ITS PEOPLE LIKE YOU THAT MAKE SMOKERS LOOK BAD WHEN ITS ONLY OURSELVES WE ARE HURTING. LEAVE US ALONE AND STOP MAKING US APPEAR TO BE SO STUPID.