WATCH WJZ TUESDAY @ 11 A.M.: New Baltimore Mayor Inauguration Ceremony

Police Shoot Man In Federal Hill

BALTIMORE (WJZ) — Police shot a man in Federal Hill when he pointed a gun at them.

Jessica Kartalija reports neighbors helped police catch the man.

All of the witnesses that saw the whole thing happen pointed police in the right direction.  They were finally able to take the suspect down on Light Street.

It was a brazen robbery in midday.  Witnesses say a man snatched a gun from a security guard outside a Light Street bank, then took off.

Police say the suspect tried to carjack a woman before running through Cross Street Market.

“This individual was shedding clothing in an effort to change his appearance and to elude capture,” said Anthony Guglielmi, Baltimore City Police.

City crime cameras and witnesses helped police locate the suspect in the 1800-block of Light Street.

“When he encountered police, the suspect reached for the gun that he took from the security guard.  He was then shot numerous times by police in self-defense,” Guglielmi said.

The chase went down in what’s typically considered a nicer part of Baltimore City, but neighbors — who didn’t want to go on camera — said it’s quickly becoming more dangerous.

“It’s a very bad neighborhood,” said one woman.

Police say that suspect was taken to Shock Trauma, where he’s in stable condition.  His name has not been released.

No police officers were injured in the shooting.

More from Jessica Kartalija
Comments

1. Ty Bosnjak says:

You found a person who lives in the neighborhood, apparently with out a job because she is home in the middle of the day, to quote on the status of my neighborhood. How dare you? Your story talks about people pointing the police in the right direction to catch the person. Doesn’t that say more about a neighborhood than one random person. There is no way I would qualify my neighborhood as ‘a very bad neighborhood.’ How rediculous! One random crime that started somewhere else and ended up here does not made a dangerous neighborhood.

2. Sonicman says:

This area is still nice but it is changing I’m afraid for the worse. This is not Federal Hill, it is old South Baltimore regardless of what the real estate people say, I know, I’ve lived in this area for fifty-nine years!.

3. danny says:

The police came through my job and asked to leave out the other exit and explained what was giong on. I’m glad I didn’t go out to lunch.

4. bud says:

Ty, go up a block or so to light and heath. Look at all the dirtballs and junkies. Its not a terrible neighborhood, but sure isnt great. Why take a jab at a woman for being home during the day? Sure she could not have a job, but maybe just had a day off or just had a baby? You think you are somebody, probably becuase you paid too much for a house that is most definately not federal hill(we know you want it to be), as stated in the article.

5. Shannon Marsala-Dunford says:

nicer part of Balto City my ass thats a bad part of Bmore.

1. Debra Leichling says:

Right Shan lol they dont even know it

1. Denise Bratcher says:

hahaha yuppies moving in this area have no idea ive lived in this area for 26 years which is all my life and yes it def isnt federal hill they call it that now to raise all the house taxes and all the bad stuff that goes on in south baltimore never ever goes on the news just like when we know who got stabbed right on the corner of heath and light (dont wanna mention no names) that was never mentioned amongst with a lot of other things because they want the rich to move in and house taxes to go up just another way of the state making thier money and the only reason this even got mentioned was because the police had to use a firearm and in defense of the lady who stays home im a stay at home mother so i guess im trash too but being from south baltimore all my life im a proud piece of south bmore trash.

6. Jessica Wall says:

It is definetly a better looking part of Baltimore, but it is drug invested just like most. My roomate was in the line of fire from the suspect when a undercover pushed him to the ground. There are good and bad people everywhere…this man and many others in Baltimore just need help.

7. Kimberly Blackwell says:

WETHER ITS FEDERAL HILL OR SOUTH BALTIMORE OR EVEN EAST BALTIMORE THE CITY SUCKS NO PART IS GOOD ESPECIALLY LIGHT STREET IT STARTED ON LIGHT STREET AND ENDED ON LIGHT STREET THE GUY DESERVED TO B SHOT HE SHOULDNT OF TOOK THE GUN FROM THE SECURITY OFFICER AND HE DEFINITLY SHOULDNT OF PULLED THE GUN ON THE COPS HE SHOULD OF BEEN DEAD IF U ASK ME CAUSE WEN U PULL THAT GUN U SHOOT TO KILL NOT SHOOT TO MAIM!!!!

8. barb says:

You go southern district “”,GET THE BAD GUYS WITH GUNS.

9. morgan says:

Good job to the BCPD!!! I live on the 1800 block and was home with my kids when it happened. I dont want this kind of violence around my kids. Im proud of the neighbors and cops who tracked him down and shot his ass!! The only sad thing is hes still alive and will be back on the streets soon.

10. Rick Bohemian says:

Bottom line is the white trash in and around this area continue to bring down what could be a quality place to live. If it weren’t for the young professionals paying absurd amounts in real estate taxes, this place would be overridden by trash and vacant houses. And while they are at their corporate jobs or law school, they have some old bag bad mouthing the area saying there are “too many guns runnin loose round here”. More like too many rats running loose because of your hoarding addiction.

11. Jason Rastafarian says:

I have to agree with Rick 100%. I was at law school when the shooting took place, but it was more or less in my back yard. Fed Hill has been taken over by young professionals and it has done Baltimore a world of good. The old time Southern Baltimore “trash” are making their last stand on Randall street (the street that separates the Young Professionals from the whiskey tango). That being said, my point is that its a pretty nice area and one person saying its a rough area needs to go live in Marlo’s territory before running her mouth. Moreover, once the Dub T dies off south of Randall the real estate will be crawling with re-developers that will gut it and flip it to more and more young professionals. Mark my words.

12. I hate Baltimore City says:

You can put a fresh coat of paint on it but the filth of Baltimore City will shine through. If the young professionals think they can change someting that’s taken the last 50 years to create, more power to their cause. Just don’t cry when your sitting on your couch listening to the gun fire outside your window. I moved out 10 years ago and never looked back.

13. joe says:

over priced housing way over priced to try and get better people in there well one block either way your dead walking through at night so people dont be fulled those houses are not worth your hard earned money

14. terry says:

hey look everyong the city came out put a crosswalk on light and barney street six months ago and forgot to put the lines in it!!!leave it up to the city huh!!!lmao!!!!!