No Big Antietam Battle Re-enactment Planned In Md.

SHARPSBURG, Md. (AP) — The 150th anniversary of the bloodiest day of the Civil War could come and go next year without a large-scale re-enactment.

Organizers of previous Battle of Antietam re-enactments say they don’t expect anything like the events that attracted thousands of re-enactors and spectators to private farms near Sharpsburg in 1997 and 2002.

Local historian Dennis Frye led the planning for those events.

He tells The (Hagerstown) Herald-Mail that his new job at Harpers Ferry National Historical Park precludes him from organizing another Antietam re-enactment.

Frye and others say there is less open space available for re-enactments. They say fewer young people seem interested in studying the Civil War by recreating battle scenes.

More than 23,000 soldiers were killed, wounded or declared missing at Antietam on Sept. 17, 1862.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Comments

1. Herman Glimsher says:

WELL SURE, THESE YOUNG PEOPLE CAN’T RE-ENACT A BATTLE AT ANTIETAM AND TEXT AND TWEET AT THE SAME TIME…………..MY GOD, THERE ARE PROBABLY SOME AREAS OUT THERE WHERE YOU CAN’T GET A CELL PHONE SIGNAL……………..THEY’D BE LOST………..THEY’LL NEED TO GOOGLE FROM THEIR CELL PHONES TO FIND OUT HOW TO TAKE A DUMP IN THE WILDERNESS AND WHAT KIND OF LEAVES TO USE TO WIPE AFTERWARDS.

2. babs says:

It is truly sad to see something like this to disappear. The re-enactments are spectacular to watch. I hope that the idiots who run the State of Maryland wakes up and employs someone who can keep this going. My grandson who is 13, truly enjoys watching the re-enactments. That is the problem with this state, not enough people to be involved and not enough kids learing the true meaning of our history.

3. Judson says:

I’m a Civil War buff who is not a big fan of reenactments. I’ve visited Antietam in the stillness of misty sunrise on an autumn morning when I was literally the only one on the field and I can tell you that as an “Imaginactor”, I felt much closer to the battle than I would have in the midst of thousands of reenactors stiving for authenticity. The greatest reenactments are inside our imaginations.

— Judson

4. Steven says:

Not enough space available and kids not interested. What a lame excuse! Why don’t Maryland ask the Gettysburg reenactment committee to put on the 150th Antietam. They do it every year and they do it well.

Steven

5. Angie S. says:

Oh, I really hope re-enactments don’t become a thing of the past. And I live in Jefferson Co., WV, so Antietam is local to me. I’m going to be homeschooling my daughter 5 year old daughter this year, and we’ll discuss the Civil War. I know it’ll be over her head, but early exposure is a great thing. And what better way to bring the Civil War to life than by watching a re-enactment? Today’s youth may not be interested, but I believe that people like myself, who are raising younger children today, see how ignorant this generation has become and we are raising our children with a better awareness to things of the past. At least I hope so.:/

6. Tony Prince says:

I just took part in the 150th Manassas and, with the exception of the idiots that left comments in the Washington Post, I have never heard negative comments about reenactments…and then there’s Judson. See, it’s that kind of reluctant attitude that will lose us the things we love. It started in the classroom with downsizing what they taught about the Civil War and ends with building shopping malls on former battle fields. How foolish was I too spend thousands of dollars of my own money to offer a view of what it was like to be a soldier in the 1860’s? You can ponder that thought over a fresh cup of Starbucks, while watching the sunrise over the new Sharpsburg Super Walmart.

7. Jeff A. says:

There were plenty of young reenactors among the 8,500+ participants at the 150th First Manassas. It was a spectacular event. Check out Google Earth and you can see that there is plenty of open farm land near Antietam, of the same or larger size we had at Manassas. Maryland and the NPS are dropping the ball. There is no leadership and no entrepreneurial imagination. Stimulate the economy: Reenactors and spectators spend money and lots of it.

8. Ben says:

Not enough people,?! i think for the 150th anniversary of the bloodiest day in american history reenactors and spectators are going to come out of the woodwork, Antietam is kind of a big deal, rather than start doubting before anyone has even tried is ludicrous! Has there ever been a 150th anniversary for the battle.? no, so who’s to say it wont be the largest battle reenactment ever fought. there is always land, always. as for age.I agree with jeff I am 18, i have seen hundreds of soldiers my age in the ranks. we are out there,f, Dont discrace the memories of the fallen by not doing them justice.