Md. Police ID Woman Fatally Shot By Trooper

HAMPSTEAD, Md. (WJZ) — Officers opened fire on a Carroll County woman.  The shooting happened Monday night at a home on Upper Beckleysville Road in Hampstead.

Mike Schuh has more on what happened in the frantic moments before police started shooting.

Four state, county and local police officers told a woman to put down the loaded gun she was pointing at them.  At some point, the state trooper feared for his life and fired.

Near Hampstead in recent years, farm fields and large homes are an unlikely spot for violence.  But Monday night, for the second night in a row, there was an argument between two sisters.

“The continuing investigation indicates that the woman had been drinking.  Her sister, the homeowner, had argued with her and ultimately told her she’d have to move out,” said an official.

Police say the homeowner locked herself and her daughter in the bathroom when her sister, Satina White, ran to a nearby truck and grabbed a gun.

Police say when they arrived, White had kicked the screen out of an upstairs window, which was open, and she was pointing a gun at them.

“The woman did tell her sister that she was going to commit suicide when the police arrived,” he said.

That didn’t happen but she did go downstairs.  Police say she pointed a weapon at officers and refused to drop it.

At that point, an officer fired and shot White.  She was flown to Shock Trauma, where she died.

Family members didn’t want to speak on camera.

White has convictions for assault, resisting arrest and drunk driving.  In the past month, she had a judgment against her for failing to pay a mental health provider.

Trooper John Warchal has been placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation, which will be turned over to the state’s attorney’s office for review.

More from Mike Schuh
Comments

1. harley121 says:

Good cop. Thats one less we’ll have to care for in prison!
    Thank you!

2. snoop dod e dog says:

great law suit

3. Jay says:

The woman was truly crazy and had her sister and 12 year old niece held hostage at GUN POINT upstairs in the house…I love across the street and heard the gun shot.the officer screamed at her many times to drop the gun and she wouldn’t.he did his job correctly!!!!!!!!

1. Brook. says:

The niece is almost 14…

4. JB says:

This is for “cops are really stupid”. Let’s hope you never need the police’s assistance for any reason because you would probably be the STUPID one in the end and get yourself shot and we would all be laughing at YOU! One last thing, you think cops are stupid…you can’t even spell……REALLY…LOL

5. Really Dumb says:

There are people that just dont know or are caught up in there own rage
    that if you point a Gun at a Police Officer your gonna get shot at…..Police
    have a motto “make it home alive” and if someone points a gun at you then
    you better shoot first…..It takes a Seasoned Veteran to talk down a person
    holding a gun

6. Herman Glimsher says:

COP DID THE RIGHT THING…………CASE CLOSED!!!!

7. Hate Ignorance says:

Bernie….wow, I would hate to know where you live..I am a resident of Carroll County who works full-time and has never done drugs…I think the ignorance doesn’t come from WV it comes from people like you….

1. Bernie says:

Well dude, it’s just been reported that the nut job lady was under the influence of booze. I rest my case about Carroll County & its nitwits.

1. Hate Ignorance says:

This proves just how ignorant you can be…you automatically assumed I was a dude because I spoke my mind…I’m glad that’s how you feel about Carroll County…we don’t want your kind living here anyway…get a life..

2. wvman says:

bernie….you are a true idiot you must not have a job and sit around annoying others all day enough said….

2. sheriff willie says:

Hate Ignorance, I called you “Dude” because you sound like a man strapped to a woman’s body. Hate doesn’t come from me , it comes from the quiet conforming people like yourself on the outside while you knuckleheads seethe inside & say nasty remarks that effect your children & make them racist’s. I speak outwardly because I grew up in the cities where B.S. Walks…..P.S. Do U feel all better now that you ranted?

1. Hate Ignorance says:

sheriff willie, you know absolutely nothing about me, I am not a hateful person at all and for you to say the things you said were truly hurtful…I was offended by what was said earlier about the type of people that live in my area and I reacted to it… I will no longer give into your hatred and ill will…good luck to you.

8. Francis Lee Appleby says:

He did the right thing police are there to protect us and that means from ourselves and others which also includes himself ! Officers aren’t stupid just doing their job he probably has a Family of his own. Suppose he had been shot what would your reaction be then ? Would it be oh well that’s sad but he was just doing his job !

9. Larry says:

Everybody who said the Officer did his job correctly–you are absolutely correct. Every time someone points a gun at you, you HAVE TO assume they intend to shoot. They take this to heart and many have trauma as a result of taking a life. Aside from active military, their job is the most dangerous in the world.

10. WV man says:

well mr. Bernie….im from WV and your kind of thinking and words tell me what type of person you are and maybe you should go back to where you came from wasnt the USA im sure…

11. Love says:

There is enough hate in this world. Please let’s instead pray for the woman who was lost, her friends and family. Let’s pray for the trooper who is who he is and does what he does because he wants to help people. When not wearing a uniform he is a family man, a volunteer firefighter, a paramedic and a wonderful man. God bless you all. Let’s spread love, not hate and harsh words.

12. Robin says:

Bernie, You Are Really Stupid. I Am From Maryland And These People Are Who They Are. West Virginia Has Nothing To Do With It. You Have All Kinds Everywhere. As A Matter Fact West Virginia,s People Has More Common Sense Than Marylanders.

13. RavenLude says:

good job……troopers go home and a violent mentally unstable person who was too weak to commit suicide alone is the one to die. it doesnt get cleaner of a shooting then this one. suspect pointed the gun at police multiple times before the police returned fire. they could have shot her the first time she displayed the weapon and refused to drop it, i would have

14. Carol Walp Fairbanks says:

THE COP DID THE RIGHT THING THANK YOU SO MUCH YOU SAVED MY SONS COUSINS LIFE. WE ARE TRULY GREATFUL. FOR THE PEOPLE WHO DONT THINK THE COP DID THE RIGHT THING PUT YOURSELF IN THE PERSONS SHOES THAT WAS HELD HOSTAGE.

15. tyingtochangethings says:

POST

16. justsaying says:

@Bernie you are an idiot

17. jen says:

f*** you bernie. That is all.

18. unstopableravens says:

bernie try to see the world from from someone elses eyes. i guess bye the way you are talking about others having low IQs u have one yourself? if so why are you not smart enough to have respect for people who are different than you?

19. waste of space says:

waste of space…….

20. me. says:

No matter what everyone says Satina was one of the nicest people I have met, yes she had a drinking problem which had gotten the best of her. Please don’t call her nut just pray for the family, I know them…

21. joe says:

well this is a fine line i dont know if there was any other way. I have a question though when cops shoot do they shoot to kill? if there trained why cant they aim at the legs maybe

22. Hate Ignorance says:

I want to aplogize for letting some idiot on here get the best of me….the focus should be on both families affected by this tragedy…rest in peace Satina, and may your family find peace during this trying time. To the officer and his family, may god help you through this, you were only doing your job.

23. Kimberly Blackwell says:

THERES NOTHING WRONG W/ PEOPLE FROM WEST VIRGINIA,CARROLL COUNTY OR EVEN BALTIMORE IF SOMEONE POINTS A WEOPON AT ME YOUR DAMN RIGHT THERE GONNA GET SHOT LIKE I SAID B4 U DONT PULL A GUN UNLESS U INTEND TO USE IT AND U DONT SHOOT TO MAIM U SHOOT TO KILL THAT COP DID HIS JOB AND DID IT RIGHT NO MATTER WARE IT HAPPENED AT BALTIMORE COPS JUST DONT HAVE THE BALLS TO SHOOT ITS CRIMINALS!!!

24. RDNKKKGRL says:

IT DOESNT MATTER IF UR FROM WEST VIRGINIA,CARROLL COUNTY,OR BALTIMORE,THE COP DID HIS JOB IF SOMEONE POINTED A GUN AT ME ID SHOOT EM TOO!!!REMEMBER LIKE I SAID B4 WEN U PULL A WEAPON ON SOMEONE U HAVE EVERY INTENTION OF USING IT AND U DONT SHOOT TO MAIM U SHOOT TO KILL THAT COP WAS RIGHT 100% IN WAT HE DID TOO BAD BALTIMORE COPS DONT HAVE THE BALLS TO SHOOT THE CRIMINALS HERE!!!