Delegate Seeks Illegal Immigrant Tuition Lawsuit

ANNAPOLIS, Md. (WJZ)—Fighting the Dream Act. It’s only been days since lawmakers voted to allow the children of illegal immigrants to pay in-state college tuition. Now one lawmaker is launching a battle to stop it.

Kelly McPherson explains why some say the new legislation is wrong.

It was a heated debate in Annapolis among lawmakers. And now that it’s passed, the arguments continue to get more threatening. The latest is a lawsuit and referendum.

Debate over illegal immigrants qualifying for in-state tuition is far from over.

“It’s breaking my heart; this is my dream. I want to go to college,” said Roberto.

The law goes into effect this summer unless a call for a referendum comes together in time.

“You can’t have people violating the law and then receiving a benefit,” said State Delegate Pat McDonough , R-Baltimore County. “Maryland has become the Disneyland of America for illegal immigrants.

McDonough is suing the state of Maryland for allowing illegal immigrant students to pay in-state tuition to Maryland universities if their parents can prove they’ve paid state taxes.

The difference in payments is pretty significant.  At the University of Baltimore, a person who lives in Maryland would pay about $21,000 per year, but out-of-state tuition is $30,000.

“It’s not always about what’s legal, but what’s just.  Keep in mind a half century ago it was legal to keep African-Americans and whites separated at lunch counters,” said Bishop Douglas Miles, Dream Act supporter.

With 54,000 signatures, a petition would prevent the enaction of the law until at least Election Day 2012.

“This attempt at circumventing the law stinks,” Miles said. “It represents the worst of the state of Maryland.”

Both sides predict a victory at the ballot box.

“If a burglar breaks into your home and he is successful in breaking into your home, does that mean that you have to feed and clothe him for the rest of your life?” McDonough said.

McDonough says in the 10 states that have this kind of legislation, eight have legal battles happening right now to overturn the law.

1. Shipemout says:

YES!!!!!! Finally! Take ’em down McDonough! Enough of those freeloaders taking our hard earned tax money and enough of Owe-Malley raising taxes and fees and increasing spending and not saving a dime or fixing our State’s fiscal problems!

2. Dave McCall says:

It is about time!!!!

3. Herman Glimsher says:

4. Spider monkey says:

It.s good to see that some elected officials are doing the job they were voted in to do!!!

5. TooPoorAlready says:

If I live in Baltimore County I’d vote for this guy! It’s about time someone stood up and defended our rights as AMERICANS. Why don’t we pass some legislation to help those Maryland residents who can’t afford college for themselves and/or their children? Charity starts at home.

1. TooPoorAlready says:

Sorry – “lived”.

6. Ex-Baltimore says:

O’Malley and Maryland Demcrats are nothing but un-patriotic traitors! Yeah, give to illegal foreigners what you deny to native born American citizens tax payors.

1. Ken says:

But it supports and adds to the voter base for them…this is why…the only thing the politicians do after getting elected is work towards staying elected….

2. Blueberry says:

I am a Maryland Democrat and I do not support this bill. In fact I am not the only democrat that is disappointed at this mess of a bill. I just wanted to point out to you that it’s not always about political parties it’s about doing what’s right. ALL politicians seem to be losing their collective minds.

1. Bernadette Z says:

Good point, Blueberry. We AMERICANS have to stick together,,this is NOT about political parties….I am working to gather signatures to put this on the ballot. LET THE VOTERS DECIDE..IT’S THEIR MONEY PAYING FOR IT…

2. Robert Long says:

I am a democrat and i think this bill is the biggest insult i have ever seen. i would not wipe my rear end with that bill. i dont care if all the TP in the world ran out. I would use my pillow before i used that bill!

3. RG says:

Blueberry, it’s good you don’t support the bill. However, you stated that as a Maryland Democrat you’re unhappy with it. The Maryland Democrats, including O’Malley, made no attempt to hide that they would pass legislation like this. Did you not pay attention during the campaigns, or did you just vote Democratic like so many Marylanders do? I’m not trying to be combative, I’m just saying it’s time for many Maryland Democrats to actually pay attention to the issues, not just instinctively vote Democrat.

7. the way it goes. says:

this bill makes no sense..i thought illegal immigrants were supposed to get deported..sounds like a set up to me..apply for tuition and we’ll send you back home because your illegal..good bill if it works that way..stupid bill if you give federal and state money to people who don’t even belong here.

8. bill says:

My son was denied in-state tuition because he didn’t have a Maryland driver’s license.Met all other requirements!! Oh, he was born, raised, and voted in the good ole USA.. Too bad he is white and doesn’t have a group representing him.

1. Paula Q says:

You are soooo right Bill. If you are white and born in the USA you have absolutely no one representing you at all. I’m sick and tired of every other group getting on TV and screaming that things aren’t fair to them. If you were born in the US or you are here LEGALLY then you should have rights. Stop having little divisions of people. Everyone screams racism and hate etc but that is what is keeping it alive. IN regards to Delegate McDonough, thank G*d that not everyone has lost their mind. He is absolutely right.. Where does anyone get off passing a law that allows people to break the law and be rewarded for it? All illegals should be shipped back to where they came from. Border patrols should be allowed to shoot first and ask questions later. It is sad enough that we have our own people, born here in the US, starving and homeless b/c they lost a job. Let’s take care of our own people first. Way to go Pat.. Keep up the good work and I hope you win. Maybe YOU should run for president

9. Not going to take it says:

YES! Finally a politician with some! I loved his remark about Maryland becoming a “Disneyland for illegal immigrants”! I refer to them as parasites sucking the life out of this State! Maybe Mr. McDonough can be our next Govenor! I would vote for him in a heartbeat. Imagine having a political leader that actually cares!

10. Debbie says:

Thank you thank you thank you for following through with your promise.
    Overwhelming numbers of legal citizens who were against this bill’s passage say THANK YOU.

11. marian says:

i am proud of mr mcdonough and i DO live in baltimore county. thank you sir and lets win this one

12. Baltimorebob says:

I would help pay the fees four the lawsuit dam bunch of tacos I thk they all just need to get the hell out of the U S A NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!

13. PAUL E. MICELLI says:

14. randc says:

I’m so confused. We’ll send business owners that employ illegal aliens to jail (timbuktu). But wait! We’ll give the illegal aliens discounted tuition rates so they can get better jobs, then we’ll start the whole jailing the business owners that hire them process over?

15. Steve says:

Can You see the names of delegates who woted for the bill?
    I mean the in state tuition bill? Wonder who they are????

1. mamacat says:

You can log on to the Maryland General Assembly website to see who voted yea or nay to every bill submitted. Just type Maryland General Assembly into your browser to get the website. Or, try:

2. sheriff willie says:

Sreve, WJZ & the Sunpapers haven’t the balls to publish what should be public information by law. There is no link that I have found providing this vote.

1. sheriff willie says:

That’s not the final vote Conway. That SD167 was dated 3/14/11 & it appears many did not vote. We need the general assembly for all the state districts which has to comprise over a few hundred I would think. Thanks anyway.

16. FEED UP! says:

I have tried to post something 4 time and this site will not allow me to do so. Talk about sensorship!

1. FEED UP! says:

This site is as sorry as Victor Ramirez and CASA! Sensor this!

2. mamacat says:

Dear “FEED UP”: All you have to do is enter a ‘name’ (it doesn’t have to be your own name’) and an email address (I really don’t think the website will contact you unless your content is truly outrageous (vulgar, etc.). Just scroll down a little bit after you post our comment and you’ll see where to enter the info.. Hope this helps…

1. FEED UP! says:

mamacat, my name and email were entered. This site is sensoring certain posts.

17. mamacat says:

Thank you Del. McDonough for standing up for what we need! Our taxes/fees are too high and the bulk of them is to pay for schools illegals are entitled to attend, roads they help tear up, free food from our government (taxpayers), free housing from our government )taxpayers), free medical care from our government (taxpayers) and it HAS TO STOP NOW! When are you running for Governor??

18. mmb says:

It is sad to read comments like these. A lot of anger and frustration. Is even worse to realize that an elected official is looking for this kind of response, in order to distract people from focusing o the real local, national and international issues that been the reasons behind so many of the economic problems we are facing today.
    Getting angry with the immigrant population is not going to make things better for anyone. Looking for new solutions and making people accountable for their actions when they are given the responsibility to manage others money and interests, that is what we need to focus on.
    Politicians have been always pleasing and protecting those who maintain them in power, here and in every other country in the word. Our government has been doing this for a long time, and its effects have been felt not only by us, living in this country, but by people in other countries who are just like you and me, trying to make an honest living and create a better future for our families. Therefore, I believe we all need to educate ourselves, on finding out the roots of these problems and making our elected leaders accountable for their actions and for helping our local, national and international interests benefit the economic infrastructure of our communities, here and everywhere else where the United States influences governments and people’s lives.

1. Ronald G Miner Jr says:

Thank you for your input Senor, now please crawl back under the border where you came from

2. Jen says:

Your comment says a whole lot of nothing.. The facts are- illegals are getting into our country every day. They don’t belong here. The US is littered with millions of homeless people…who WERE born here. People who can’t afford to eat or even own a home anymore b/c they may have had to have ONE surgery and lost everything paying ONE bill. Illegals need to be shipped back to where they came from. We need to take care of our people first. the problem w/ the good ole USA is that we don’t care about our own.. we care about pleasing every body else and worrying that we are going to look good to others. Our forefathers are probably turning over in their graves right now. If you like this bill, why don’t you live in Mexico and all of the countries they sneak in to the USA from? We have enough people here in the USA who already live here and come here LEGALLY. How about if someone murders a family member of your’s and their punishment is that YOU have to feed, clothe and house them for the rest of their lives and you have to pay all of their bills? Would you like that? This is essentially the same thing. D*mn straight people are outraged over this and yes, there is a lot of anger and frustration!!

3. Robert Long says:

Everything you said is BS. Because the real issue with the usa is illegal immigrants. They come over here and get free handout’s and make it hard for the legal families who need it. And then they take legal people’s job’s and steal there business’s because they will do it for 1/3rd the price at 1/3rd the quality. but most places that are cheap dont care as long as it works they dont care and that add’s to this issue.

It makes me sick to think that all these people are not caught and deported back to where they came from. Because if we did this BS where they came from we would be deported back to the USA. And the fact that law makers are passing out the message that its ok to break the law is total utter BS! and it needs to stop here!

I am so sick of the pure fact that my daughter may not get into pre-k because they take the spanish kid’s 1st. yea you hard me. they take the illegal spanish kid’s 1st before legal american kid’s. GOD it makes me so angry!

1. kr says:

So true. It is a shame that pre K is based on race or ethnicity.

2. Press 1 for English or 2 to hang up says:

I hear you, my special needs daughter can’t get into Pre-K because her first language is ENGLISH

19. Patriot says:

It’s all because of liberals like you. It’s not immigration you idiot, its INVASION!!! Wake up!

1. mamacat says:

MMB is probably sitting in her own ‘ivory tower’ in Howard, Carroll or Northern Harford County complaining about the farmers who have been there all their lives and she now has to smell the ‘stink’ of their way of life after she moved in to her McMansion!!.

1. sick of it says:

You are probably right mamacat. Like Jen said, we are rewarding criminals.. plain and simple. and if an illegal broke into that mansion of MMBs and raped or murdered a loved one, I’m sure he/she would understand if the judge ruled that MMB was in the wrong and had to take care of and support the criminal for the rest of his life. What a joke. Points well said mamacat and Jen.. and Patriot

20. Dean Carpenter says:

These are the issues!

It’s about time that someone is drawing a line in the sand.
    My son lives in Delaware, but I don’t expect him to get in-state rates in Maryland, even though he was born (and willing to show his birth certificate) in Delaware., USA.
    If any of us born here, in the USA, were to be illegally in another country, we’d be shot as spies, beaten and incarcerated or the like.
    People in the country illegally, are economic terrorists andwe owe them nothing.
    I am tired of paying taxes for those that aren’t here legally.

Thanks Delegate McDonough!
    We need more like you watching our wallets.

1. mamacat says:

Dear “Dean Carpenter”: If this site had a ‘like’ button, I would hit it!!

21. mamacat says:

It is sad that there is “A lot of anger and frustration.” Del. McDonough isn’t trying to “distract people from focusing “o(sic) the real local, national and international issues that been the reasons behind so many of the economic problems we are facing today.”. He is trying to get US citizens to deal with the problems we are facing as tax-paying citizens of this country! This country was built on immigrants who came here with a new sense of hope who were willing to work to make it happen!! People who come here today don’t have to worry about working to make it happen (although a minority of them acutally might – but they are given enourmous tax breaks or are tax free). Illegal immigrants come here for the freebies that are paid for by my husband, me and my kids). Free housing, education, medical care, emergency response (fire, ambulance, etc.), and even jail –yes, that’s paid for by me too. Maybe immigrants should consider staying in their own countries and fighting for what they want from their own governnment like the US has done in the past (e.g., the Civil War). The US has too many lazy, welfare, SSI collecting citizens as it is and I’m tired ot having pay extra out of my small paycheck after 30+ years of working for their free stuff!! If there was a country I could move to where I could be given as many benefits as these people, please let me know what that country is! The only elected leader I can think of during this past session in the Maryland Legislature is Del. McDonough. He has the SPINE to stand up for what his constituents want.
    he is accountable for his actions – and the people of his districts are proud of that!

1. sheriff willie says:

This country was built by immigrants such as my Father who came here LEGALLY, HAD TO BE SPONSORED, HAD TO PASS A MEANS TEST, HAVE A PROMISE OF A JOB & SPEAK THE LANGUAGE. That is the difference all you bleeding heart liberals that want a watered down version of what this country is all about. This was good for the country back in the 1920’s when there was the greatest era of prosperity in the U.S. & it should be good enough today.

1. Robert Long says:

I agree. i think that if you are to become a part of this country. you should be able to speak english. follow our rules. and have a job and not make 50 kid’s and live off the tax payers. and hold a normal job with a paycheck and pay tax’s. not your own little side job thats all under the table and mess up people who have legal business’s. cant follow the rules. you go back to where you came from.

I am so sick of these illegal’s coming here and just expecting me to speak spanish. like the people who live below me. they dont speak a word of english. they have a 1 bed room apartment and 4 kids. so 2 adults and 4 kid’s. in a 1 bed room. there dinning and living room is there bed room. so the entire apartment is filled with bed’s. it’s one giant bed room.

I reported them and the leasing office dont care because they pay rent. And they have alot of them living in the complex. None of them speak english at all. And each of the family’s have 4-7 kid’s in 1 bed room apartment’s. And they play loud loud latin music 24/7 and bass the whole apartment and have no respect for my 2 kids when they are trying to sleep. No luck telling them to turn it down because they dont speak english.

22. mandy says:

Well there go our tax money to the ones that brake the law. They should be helping us not the ones that are here illegal. The ones that sign this bill should lock up in jail for brakeing the law to help illegal immigrants. I work retail having a hard time understanding people that do not talk good english dose anyone have a hard time to. To live here need to speak good english. Way TO GO DELEGATE MCDONOUGH. YOU GET MY VOTE.

23. jim says:

Where do I sign up there is 4 sig in my house!!!!!!!

24. Willie says:

I just don’t get it. My grand parents had to leave their country and came here to BECOME citizens. To add to the diversity of American culture and to pay their fair share to the nation. Now, all you have to do is make it over the border and you get all the benefits of their work. If someone wants to have a better life, become a citizen. Find a sponsor and get a card. Become a citizen and pay taxes and support the country. Benefits to illegal aliens makes no sense. I bet we will see taxes jump a bunch just to pay for social services to pay for the services to those who don’t add to the system. I can name a bunch of countries that if you asked for the same benefits as their citizens, they put you in jail, kick you out or just drop you down a hole. If you are an illegal alien reading this, then you are one step closer to becoming a citizen, Just do it, like my grand parents.

25. m_conway says:

I’m so glad that at least one of our elected officials knows he meaning of ILLEGAL! Where do I sign the petition?

1. Bernadette Z says:

They will be available online, I believe..we are coordinating efforts right now….will keep every one posted…

2. Robert Long says:

I talked to McDonough and his office about half an hour ago. They are we are working on getting stuff together. I will keep you guys posted on the detail’s. But so far everything is in the planing phase other then the law suite. But there will need to be alot of people to sign the petition. And i have started a Pre recall petition to remove omalley from office. When he call’s back i will see if he thinks i should continue its and get the rest of the people to sign it.

I say we put McDonough in office and let him fix this state. It will be a mess for him to repair all the damage omalley did. Ugh!

26. Jenny says:

The word ILLEGAL should not warrant a discount. Why reward people for breaking the law? If they want in-state tuition, become a U.S. citizen.

27. sheriff willie says:

Finally a guy with some “Balls”….What really appalls me is that on the front page of yesterday’s Sun paper were two illegals & they were so happy they would be going to college. They’re in this country illegally & we are paying for their education? Since when is bad behavior rewarded & criminal activity given Kudos? This is sheer nonsense & is an outrageous affront to all the hard working citizens that have to pay full tuition. My four children got nothing & I paid their way while they worked. No aid, nothing. I was broke all the time. I’m disgusted & although I’m a registered Dem, McDonough the R. is my kind of guy. Political ploy? I don’t care & I hope he shoves this bill right up the Gen. Assembly ‘s a$$ & then makes OMalley eat it.

28. Doug says:

The message I come away with is,
    Live a lawless life,
    and you will be greatly rewarded.

1. SMH says:

I CAN COUNT TO POTATO! That is what the american children will be saying soon!

29. pigeon says:

Educated illegal aliens take away jobs from educated citizens not only in Maryland but throughout the United States of America.
    If they are here illegally, and are educated, don’t you think there are organizations out there to assist them in filing false statements? If found guilty of that are we going to just let them get away with yet another crime? Where will it end – it WON’T until our representative stop their double talking.

30. Bernadette Z says:

31. Jeff Werner says:

Clearly, the Casa De Maryland dels and sens aren’t going to know what hit them by the time we get done with our petition drive to get this to the voters to vote on. Carter-Conway, the Constitution does matter and is law, or have you forgotten that as well, YOU DID, along with omalley, miller, busch, gansler, and on and on and on

1. craig says:

Please tell me where i can sign this petition. No more illegals!! They are here illegally, they need to go.

2. sheriff willie says:

It’s high time we made our voices known. The way it’s done here in Maryland is through delegates & Mc Donough is now the point man. The other Dems & Repubs that continue to ignore what the citizens want should & will be shown the door ASAP when elections are held. They are betting your memory’s are short & you will forget or be preoccupied with other agendas.

32. Jeff Werner says:

Illegal is illegal and what many are not seeing is that this bill will cost you an additional 2 million a year in tax dollars to support this bill. Casa De Maryland is a criminal enterprise who got Senator Ramirez voted in as a Senator and then he put the bill in. Casa runs the LiberCONS. We, the Constitutionalist’s are going to take you donw. Criminals

33. biteme says:

McDonough for governor of Maryland you have my vote.

We need more like McDonough to stand up for American citizens.

34. bmoregyrl says:

I feel this way we can tell gays that they can’t marry because it’s against but we can pay for illegals to get education. Sorry I will vote for no for this bill and if gay marriage ever comes up I will say yes because its a rights issue and they have a right to marry whomever they want but the illegals don’t have rights to our education period.

35. lwfpe2 says:

This should go to the voters and it will be roundly defeated. It’s time to start impeaching some of these politicians. They are certainly not representing the districts that they were elected from . They are following their own agenda and that of Casa de Maryland.

36. Robert Long says:

If Pat McDonough was running for mayor or governor i would vote for him. His head is on right. And he knows that its wrong to reward people who break the law. Showing people its right to do the wrong thing is never a good thing. It only makes people think its ok to break the law. We broke this law so its ok to break this one also. They will pass a bill to make murder im sure. NOT!

37. Natalie says:

This new law is aiding and abiding criminals. ITs a real sad day in America and Md when criminals receive entitlements off the tax payers back. Pat McDonough you are a true patriot and we will stand with you on this fight. This is an outrage and corrupt politics at its finest!! MOM has proven time and time again to be an anti american!!! He doesnt have any problems torturing an American i court but illegals are fed with a silver spoon. Ive never heard MOM speak against all the crimes commited by illegals but you hear a lot about his “new americans”..Or what I like to call new voters.

38. Richard Crystal says:

This is perhaps one of the very few times I have wholeheartedly agreed with a Republican. Let’s change the slogan of Maryland from “The Free State” to “The Freeloader State”!!

39. GAMMEE07 says:

I want to know where to sign. They need 54000 signatures Give us some place to sign the petition. Give it to me I will take it around everywhere I go. Come on Marylanders lets get this petition signed!!!

40. tdcrab says:

Thanks Norman for the right Vote !

41. kr says:

McDonough for Governor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    Lets stop buying swamp land, giving Illegals the right for State tuition and start working on getting our State out of the mess that it is in.
    We need millionares, bussiness (small and large) and all the State Govt. wants to do is run them out of town. Wake up and see the damage you are doing before it is too late.

42. Mireya says:

As a Hispanic, I resent that illegal immigrants will receive such privilege. I came here LEGALLY, learned the language,became a US Citizen,work and pay taxes. I now, have a son that has to travel over 40 minutes to attend a community college in Balt. county. It would make perfect sence to pay the same tuition to attend the community college in Carroll County, which is about 20 minutes away from home. As a tax payer, we should receive an opportunity for all of our children in Maryland.

1. Robert Long says:

Yea man it’s bad for all of us legal residents. Because it takes from an already poor system. We pay tax’s into a system that pay’s for them to sneak into maryland and go to school. And it’s the worst thing to happen since hitler to be honest in my view (not really but its pretty bad).. =(

43. Steve says:

We cannot afford another give me to another group of people legal or not. In this case NOT legal and it should have never been passed. It only means more and more taxes every year to subsidize illegal benefits and that is laughable overseas.

1. Robert Long says:

it is laughable. i was on some of the webpages over in the UK checking news over there because i have friends over there in london. And well yea… They are laughing about how bets on how long it will take our state to go beyond broke. and every person thats been planing on running across the boarder is now doing it. and all the other immigrants from other states are in the process as we speak moving to maryland. im talking grabbed everything they own and headed here. i was checking alot of the dream act webpages they run for supporters and where all the illegal’s hang out crying about how they want to go to college. and they even go as far to say (I would even do what they get paid 30 an hour for 15 an hour) already trying to take our job’s and they have not even gone to school!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

44. dubid says:

how can the Illegal parents pay taxes? is it legal to hire illegals?

2nd question, what is the name of the resturant that the illegal boy in the sun article works at?

45. Fast Eddie says:

OK…….Enough is Enough. It is a shame that this issue needs to taken to referendum, but, YES it should be placed on a ballot to let the people decided.

At what point did our legislators STOP LISTENING to the very people they are supposed to be representing? I do not believe “Illegal Immigrants” should be given this privilege. My feelings aside, every pole I have seen show the people of Maryland overwhelmingly opposed this law. I guess I.C.E. will be receiving a lot of phone calls informing them of the whereabouts of “Illegal’s”.

Next I guess we will be giving “Illegal Immigrants” scholarships or grants of some kind. I wonder who is going to pay that bill?

Become legal obey the laws all of us as Americans are governed by, and WELCOME TO AMERICA. Otherwise please leave.

46. baltimorelady617 says:

How do you report illegal immigrants? I have tried to report about 80 illegal immagrants at Lexington Market, when I called INS, I was told there was nothing they could do unless they were committing a crime. So, again what is the number to call to report illegals?

47. sheriff willie says:

Don’t you people understand that the government is in it’s own way being blackmailed? The government which of course in theory is you & I pays the low lifes whether they be illegals or just lazy citizens welfare & subsidies a check each month to keep the peace. Without a few dollars here & there each month there would be rioting in the streets. It’s a game guys, we’re being Hosed, make a stink & get Welfare reform on a ballot. Drug testing each month for welfare recipients & make them work to get that check.

1. Robert Long says:

I agree. I think they should have random drug testing for welfare. And that you should be a legal citizen to receive welfare. And if you are not legal and dont have a visa then you get reported and you are gone. Simple as that. The thing i dont understand is when it turned into being illegal to who gives a flying monkey poo?

48. Paytoomuch says:

Fight this bill all the way. Deport them not reward them. Since when is having a drivers license required for an education? There are some people that deserve an education, but I wouldn’t let them behind a wheel.

Charity begins at home.

49. SMH says:

50. KEN says:

51. Ronnie says:

“It’s not always about what’s legal, but what’s just. Keep in mind a half century ago it was legal to keep African-Americans and whites separated at lunch counters,” said Bishop Douglas Miles, Dream Act supporter.

Fist off the black and whites weren’t criminals, stop tryin gto play a race card fool!!
    Is it just that criminals can benifit from their crimes? I’m poor. Can I rob a bank and then use the excuse I am just trying to make a better life for my family and that will vindicate my crimes?

52. FEED UP! says:

This link will allow you to see who voted for the In-State Tuition. I HIGHLY suggest you email your views and opinions to these Sentators and to our Govenor. This can still be Vetoed.

53. Darlene says:

They wonder why the American people are fed up? How many times have you heard “for english press one” Illegals are being catered to way to much. Americans are tired of being put second. Go to Walmart, K-Mart etc. and you feel like you are in Mexico. Don’t speak english (which should be mandatory). Then they want our kids to learn Spanish? They got our jobs, what more can they take. The Illegals should be deported. And the comments on here that support them are either Illegal or dating someone who is Illegal. I will NOT vote for anyone who is in support of Illegal immigration.

54. Bobbie says:

This is complecte insanity. People are having a har time paying taxes, many unemployed, and now MD is asking them to help pay for illegals. Illegals are taking jobs many Americans can hold. Most Illegals DO NOT Pay federal or state taxes. They get paid in cash, and we toerate and reward these illegals that have broken the law. ‘This is complete insanity. As bad as the people that voted for the madman in the white house. He is evil as well.

55. Robert Long says:

At the risk of sounding wrong. I want to eat taco’s. Not send them to school =)

56. Darlene says:

Not to mention the fact that they are causing trouble here. Do you think Mexico would welcome us? No!!!!!! They don’t even like Americans. They save on rent because they have 10 families living in one house! They work under the table, don’t pay taxes and the ones that ARE deported, come right back over here. I say put land mines along the border. When is this petition coming, I’ll sign.

57. Ell says:

I applaud this delegate. I live in Baltimore County and he has my vote. The state has the audacity to complain about their financial situation, raise taxes (aka fees) and now we are giving a handout to people who aren’t even legal and denying a benefit (there are only so many spots in the university for instate kids) to legal tax paying marylanders. I love that the reason for passing this bill is to allow better job access to illegals. They give examples that Johnny illegal always wanted to be a lawyer or a doctor….. Can our state delegates tell me what hospitals, law firms, and major corporations are hiring illegals these days?

58. Brian says:

A commmon sence politician at last. I hope the govenor reads this and all the comments people of have made in support of Mr Mcdonough.
    Take heed O malley your days in power are numbered

59. Bob says:

O’Malley took an oath to uphold the laws of the Constitution. He should be tossed from office. Same deal with Obama for sueing Arizona. Toss them all!

60. John Wessly says:

.State Delegate Pat McDonough if I lived in Baltimore county you would surely have my vote. Finally someone with common sense! Where do I sign this petition!!!!
    I’m tired of working my “haha” off so the government can forcefully take my hard earn income to pay for a bunch of illegal free loaders! I wonder if you can do a referendum electronically over the web like a lot of other campaigns do? This is a suggestion to utilize today’s technology, but if I have to go some place to this manual just give me a address and time and I will…BE THERE!

61. Eric says:

Most of these politicians should be hung or jailed for treason. You go Pat McDonough. I will sign that petition.

62. Joyce Kauders says:

I totally agree …. illegal is illegal…it’s about time we stop it! And I have a question…if American citizens, BORN HERE, cannot always afford to send their children to college and they want to very much, where are the illegals getting the money to pay even the $21,000 in-state tuition??? I know about schlorarships, tuition aide, etc., but there are still multiple expenses that the student needs to pay out of pocket. Send all American born students to college first, then consider making the illegals legal…according to that strange word today…LAW.

63. AboutTimeLawmakerStandsUp! says:

This was the best news I’ve heard all day. Way to go, delegate!

64. Robert Long says:

another thing that makes me mad. is because kid’s that are born here by parents who snuck in to set up an anchor baby knew full well what they where doing. and if they are upset and there hearts are broken because they cant go to college. then take it up with there parents. because its them who caused the whole thing. by the way. i hear a bill is in the process of getting passed. that will stop automatic citizenship!!! that one parent must be a legal citizen! and it will send current anchor babies back to there home country! 100’s of million’s of job’s will be freed up! and the US will no longer be in debt. and not to mention the US will be able to help our own legal citizen’s with better and higher benefit’s who really need them!

65. JQP says:

What you don’t understand is that O’Malley DOES take the will of the people into consideration. By the time he is through, Maryland will be more illegal — or legal- related- to-illegal immigrants, and he will be the best governor on earth! As for the rest of us, well, we will be in the minority and our opinions won’t count…well, they don’t count now…obviously, but they will count even less, if that’s possible.

66. Not going to take it anymore says:

I sent an email to each and every Senator and Delegate in the State of Maryland (188) and to O’Malley stating my opinion of this bill and asking O’Malley to Veto it. I have received quite a few emails back, one stating that they are trying to get a referendum which will allow the Registered LEGAL Citizens of Maryland to actually vote on this bill (which should have happened to begin with). Does anyone know how to sign this Petition?

67. sheriff willie says:

Not going to take., Good for you, more people need to make their voices heard in this manner but not threatening anyone any harm. We are being used people. The future is in the fastest growing sector & that is the Hispanic vote. The state of Md could care less about the white caucasian vote & we all know that blacks are too lazy to vote unless a bus picks them up with a twenty dollar bill in hand & a bottle of gin in the other. Future votes from hispanics is what matter to the Dem party in this state & everything else is a big LIE. It’s all about the power of staying in office.

68. wllharrington says:

If we keep the law we will have an educated illegal immigrant getting medical, food stamps et. without paying taxes, if we rescind the law we have another illegal getting medical, food stamps etc without paying taxes. We should be looking at sending them back and make them apply legally as so many have had to do.

This legisaltion is a slap in the face of all Maryland Taxpayers. Why should these illegals receive benefits for being a criminal? This is just like the justice system, the criminals have all the rights and the victims have to just deal with it!!! This is the epitome of “WORTHLESS DUNG”!!! I wonder how these political a$$holes would feel if these illegals were to take their jobs from them? I bet they wouldn’t be in such a rush to support benefits for them? Why should my grandchildren be required to take a foreign language in school, just so these illegals will feel more accepted? If you come to this country then speak ENGLISH when communicating in public!!!! You can speak your own language in your privacy!!! Yes, our forefathers were originally immigrants, but then there was now established government or order to require them to apply to get in this country!!! These forefathers set forth on this continent a guideline for enterance into this country and a “NATION OF THE PEOPLE, BY THE PEOPLE AND FOR THE PEOPLE”!!! We citizens need representation from our elected officials and not for these POLITICAL A$$HOLES to put forth their own agendas!!!!!

70. Beth says:

Way to go Pat!!!!! I have an idea…why don’t the illegals become citizens, and THEN they can work 3 jobs and compete for scholarships like the rest of the people that go to college do–Wow–what a concept. Illegal means illegal–Just like No means No…….Illegal—deport–and how can an illegal immigrant pay taxes in the first place–what SSN are they using? Keep fighting to take back our rights Delegate McDonough— you ARE the man!!!!!!

1. DON MARS says:

Beth, they’re using the SSN their parents BOUGHT for $200 before they illegally crossed the border.

71. DON MARS says:

I have a friend who had to DROP OUT OF COLLEGE who moved to Maryland from Oregon who had to pay out of state tuition because she hadn’t been a resident of Maryland for a full year. She had to decide between tuition, or rent and food, she is AMERICAN CITIZEN AND TAX PAYER. Maybe she should have entered the country ILLEGALLY, she would not have had a problem!!

72. DON MARS says:

I have a can an illegal parent prove that they have paid Maryland taxes?? Shouldn’t the fact that parent is illegal too mean that they shouldn’t be “working” . If they were then shouldn’t the business who hired the illegal parent face fines?!

Can anyone answer this question for me?

73. williejoe says:

Mexicans are all little pricks.

74. R Johnson says:

Thank God when can I sign this bill. 54,000 signatures will be easy as pie to get around here. Don’t go looking for signatures in Baltimore City or PG County and we will get them quickly.

1. Joan M says:

The big problem is that 56,000 VALID signatures are needed by June 30,2011 and 1/3 of those must be submitted by May 31. The key word is VALID as the signatures must be legibile and signed exactly as they are on the person’s voters card. If one signature is deemed invalid, the entire page is thrown out.

75. sheriff willie says:

Let’s get it done & stop talking about it. Someone send us a ballot that is valid ASAP.

76. Ann says:

The American Dream has changed. It no longer consist of working hard to get nice things and be proud of what you have accomplished. It now consists of coming into this country for a handout. I am so happy to see so many other people just as upset about this as I am. I am so sick and tired of going to work everyday, spending time away from my little boy, just to pay taxes for people to come into this country to get a handout. Free healthcare, free education, and now the benefit of instate tuition. How far is this going to go. Our political leaders have no problem taxing us over and over again to pay for handouts. Thank you so much Mr. McDonough for standing up for the American people. I just wish more of our political leaders had the guts to do the same thing.

77. Citizen of the Peoples Republic of Maryland says:

Hey Roberto and other illegals, go back to YOUR country and attend college and then get a job there. The only thing that is breaking is the backs of Maryland taxpayers footing the bill for illegals in this state. It is sickening that Military kids stationed in Maryland do not the benefit of in-state tuition rates and some Marylander kids will not be able to attend college because an illegal is taking their seat in a college classroom not to mention what is happening in the public schools…..WAKE UP DEM MARYLANDERS!!!!!

78. justice for all says:

Who votes these freaks in office in Maryland? The next thing they will want you to give juice and cookies to burglers.