William Donald Schaefer’s Funeral Plans

BALTIMORE (WJZ/AP) — Funeral plans have been announced for former Governor William Donald Schaefer.

William Donald Schaefer will lie in repose Monday, April 25 at the State House from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.  Schaefer will then be taken on “tour” of Baltimore, through neighborhoods and landmarks that were significant to his career, with a motorcade leaving Annapolis for Baltimore at 2 p.m.  Schaefer will then lie in repose in the Rotunda of City Hall in Baltimore for public viewing from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.

On Tuesday, April 26, Schaefer will then lie in repose at City Hall for a public viewing from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.

His funeral will be on Wednesday, April 27 at 11 a.m. at the Old St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in Baltimore.

A spokeswoman for the Episcopal Diocese of Maryland says Schaefer was a member of the church, and served on its vestry. Old St. Paul’s is the closest Episcopal church to City Hall, where Schaefer was on the City Council and served as mayor.

The church seats about 850 people. There will be overflow viewing at a site next door.

Schaefer will be buried later that afternoon at Dulaney Valley Memorial Gardens.

Governor Martin O’Malley has ordered state flags to be flown at half-staff to mark Schaefer’s death.

O’Malley, like Schaefer, has been mayor of Baltimore and governor. He says Schaefer “demonstrated an unrelenting drive to make Maryland a better place.”

Motorists should expect traffic modifications. Click here for details.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Comments

1. jimmy says:

Thanks for all that you did. Now you can rest.

2. PAUL E. MICELLI says:

WILL GO DOWN IN MARYLAND HISTORY AS A GREAT POLITICIAN. WHAT WOULD WE HAVE DONE WITHOUT HIM. WILL BE GREATLY MISSED. GOD BLESS YOU AND REST IN PEACE.

3. susan says:

Borrowing a quote from Bob Hope: Thanks for the memories.

4. State Employee says:

Best Governor Ever. R.I.P.

5. B Estep says:

He is one of the best govenors ever. Our incoming govenors should mock his leadership. I was not about being popular or even politics. He loved his state of Maryland and will turely be missed.

6. B Estep says:

Let me clarify the statement I made . It was not about being popular or even politics. Typo sorry.

7. sillyman michaels says:

you will certainly be misses by all.no one has the compassion for the people
    of baltimore like mr. schaefer had rest in peace you certainly deserve it

8. GAIL says:

YOUR GREATNESS WILL LIVE ON FOREVER!

9. barbara says:

He was a great man. He would always speak to you when he was out at the mall. Always had time to shake you hand. he will be reatly missed
    He was the old syle as a politian. Others should try and take just a little part of who and what he was.

10. ANGIE says:

THE POLITIANS OF TODAY SHOULD HAVE LEARNED SOMETHING FROM HIM BUT OFCOURSE THEY HAVEN’T GOV SCHAEFER WAS THE BEST THAT WE HAVE EVER HAD AND IT WOULD BE A GREAT HONOR IF THERE WERE SOMEONE WHO COULD AT LEAST TRY TO FOLLOW IN HIS FOOTSTEPS OMALLY CAN’T NOT EVEN GET CLOSE HE WAS A GREAT MAN AND WILL BE MISSED

11. Bob D'Anna says:

I can remember my father (Ed D’Anna) cutting his hair at tower barber shop back in the 70’s. He was a great friend and an even greater human being. baltimore will truly miss him ,I know I will.

12. Joanne says:

Joanne
    Mr. Schaefer was a great Governor and Mayor, in his time he created a clean city and abundance of clarity for all citizens of Maryland. He will be truthfully missed.

13. Brenda says:

Mr. Schaefer was the very best Governor and Mayor we had, the city was cleaner and much safer, he also made sure the seniors were cared for and education for our children was important to him. There will never be such a politician in this city of Baltimore like Mr Schaefer. R.I.P. You will be missed by many.

14. Teresa Thompson-Hall says:

R.I.P. Mr Schaefer,
    Well Done!!!

15. TDuPlayee says:

As he has said on may of occasions all he wants to be remembered for was “HE CARED”.

16. JoAnn Walker says:

He was a fine man, a great mayor and comptroller and most of all a wonderful governor. He will truly be miased by the many who’s lives he touched.

17. seuss says:

All State Employees should have a day off with pay to mourn….Hope you are reading this O’Malley.hint -hint

1. Sick of stupid people says:

Wow really?

1. kaye fox says:

Baltimore has and will never be the same without you. Thanks for your dedication and love of your home city.

18. Dwayne Turpin says:

No one could ever replace him. My mother worked for him for years. I remember he came to the funeral of my Mom in 1985. My grandmother use to cook dinner every saturday, and he would come eat with us. He use to give the whole neighborhood tickets to see the Baltimore Bullets play basketball at the Civic Center (SMILE) you know how long ago that’s been. PEACE BE WITH YOU MY FRIEND!

19. PAT says:

WHO CAN STAND UP TO THIS MANS CHARACTER, NONE IN OFFICE NOW NOT THE MAYOR OR THE GOVERNER WILLIAM DONALD SCHAEFER WILL BE HONORED I DON’T EVEN WANT TO PUT A LEVER FOR THE MAYOR OF THE GOVERNER THEY ARE JUST THE LESSER OF TWO EVILS

20. Denver says:

He was clearly the best Mayor that Baltimore has ever had and will ever get. He was also the best Governor that Marylanders will ever know. Hi dedication to all of Maryland and Marylanders will never go unforgotten. His hard work and devotion to this town was breath taking. Some may not approved of how things were done but he got it done.
    William Donald Schaefer may you rest in peace. God Bless You and your family.

21. Kim says:

Gone and quickly forgotten, thank you very much. Now, let me go back to my little “**** house” known as the Eastern Shore. Hope you don’t mind my using your words there, Donald.

1. roy case says:

look at the easternshore now because of his comment he helped build up the easternshore to a great place to go

22. Doug says:

He always knew a nice piece of tail when one would walk by.

23. BARBARA says:

THE DEATH OF WILLIAM DONALD SCHAEFER IS A GREAT LOSS.I THINK THEY SCHOULD MAKE IT A STATE HOLIDAY IN HONOR OF ON OF THE GREATEST POLITICIAN IN THE STATE OF MARYLAND.MAY HE REST IN PEACE.

24. EVELYN THOMAS says:

I MET WILLIAM DONALD SCHAEFER AT GOOD SAMARITAN HOSPITAL MANY YEARS AGO WHEN HIS LADY FRIEND WAS A PATIENCE.ALWAYS HAD NICE THINGS TO SAY .WILL MISS YOU.

25. State Employee says:

I can say he was the best Governer that state employee”s has ever had.Rest in peace

26. Cookie says:

Mr.D.Schaefer was great person and loved people. He cared about the people and the city of Balto. He was a funny man. I loved him. You will be missed very much.

They should make a national State Holiday in honor of DONALD SCHAEFER.He was a GREAT PERSON…….

27. Dave Hough says:

I remember when I was a young man with little means taking my wife to lunch at a fast food restaurant in downtown Baltimore. My wife was a little annoyed that we were not going to a “real” restaurant until..we spotted Governor Schaefer in line in front of us. He spoke with my wife and I and got me off the hook for not going someplace more fancy. After all who doesn’t want to say they had lunch with the Governor? What a truly genuine and caring person he was and in my opinion one of the best Mayors and Governors Baltimore and Maryland has ever had. To this day I remember his kindness and unassuming nature may he rest in peace.

1. linda dupree and smith family says:

There are two great big wings waiting for you as you walk through the kingdom of glory, kudos to you William Donald Schafer, you have taken care of a whole city and state a job well don may you RIP.Linda Dupree (Northhollywood, California)

28. Nina M Cheeks says:

reat in peace you did a gread job for maryland

29. ROY AND CINDY CASE PASADENA MD says:

TO THE BEST MAYOR AND GOVERNOR MARYLAND EVER HAD YOU WILL BE MISSED REST IN PEACE SIR MAY GOD BLESS YOU

30. james ayd says:

He was a great servant of the people. It is wrong to call him a politician and it is a slap in the face to his memory. He may have been a Baltimore Councilman, .Baltimore City Mayor, Governor of Maryland, and Comptroller for the State of Maryland, but he never was a politician. He cared for people, all people and was only doing what he was doing because he was a Servant of the people. If our State and National politicians want to and desire too, let them become a sincere person, not politician, and work for the betterment of its citizens.

31. Karen says:

He had some great moments, but signing a very liberal abortion law in the early 70’s was not one of them.

32. Dave Kondracki says:

Dave Kondracki Hertford North Carolina
    HizHonor, boosted pride in Baltimore and the State of Maryland. Every time he and I saw each other he always had a joke, a pat on the back, or kind words. William Donald Shaefer was , in MY opinion, the best Mayor Baltimore ever had. My thought and prayers are with him and his friends and family. Job well done. Rest in Peace.

33. marian says:

willie d “you got it done” nuff said

34. AnnaM says:

It was a common sight to see Mayor Schaefer walking the streets of downtown Baltimore in the mid 70’s. When I would see him walking towards me and then recognize him, he’d always smile, nod or tip his cap. I was a teenager then so very little would impress me, but seeing him walking the streets like any other person, that was awesome. I can’t help but smile at the memory. I sure haven’t seen another Mayor do that without it being a media event. No politician will ever be able to fill his shoes, he has left a wonderful legacy. We love you still and will see you soon. Rest well sir, job well done.

35. Mr. Hollywood says:

wow…………….maybe I missed something the only thing I see Schaefer did was make the inner harbor downtown Baltimore beautiful to mask how much of a heroin addicted dump Baltimore really is and make his buddies rich in the process. Can’t wait to move…………….

36. hbethard says:

Being a native of Salisbury,Maryland.Now living in NC. Good bye Donald! Great Mayor, poor Governor! No tears from the **** house side of the state!!!