Body Of Phylicia Barnes Found, Investigation Continues

BALTIMORE (WJZ)—The mystery surrounding what happened to North Carolina high school student Phylicia Barnes grows deeper. Police recovered her body. Now the focus shifts to figuring out how she died.

Mike Hellgren has more on the investigation.

At this point, police are not saying that she was murdered. They say she could’ve been in the Susquehanna River for months, and they needed dental records to identify her.

The search for Phylicia Barnes, 17, ended near the Conowingo Dam. Police found her naked. They say she showed no outward signs of trauma.

“When you put a body in a cold body of water, it will stay a pretty much intact for a long period of time,” said Col. Terrence Sheridan, Maryland State Police.

Investigators have not ruled out an accident or foul play and pledge to find out what happened and bring closure to the family of this missing honor student.

“This is the worst possible news you could tell a mother, and it’s the last bit of news they ever wanted to hear,” said Commissioner Fred Bealefeld, Baltimore City Police.

The first phase of the investigation lasted almost four months and became one of the biggest missing persons cases in Baltimore history, involving more than half the homicide squad.

“We’re now at stage one of a new phase of the investigation,” Bealefeld said. “So, there’s a lot of work now that needs to be done.”

Police say they don’t know how Barnes got so far—45 miles from where she first vanished.

They also don’t know the identification of another man found with her in the raging waters near the Conowingo Dam.

“His cause and manner of death has not been determined, but the medical examiner has indicated that it is a black male, 6’4”, 240 pounds,” Sheridan said.

“All of us since that fateful day in December had been praying and hopeful for a different outcome,” Bealefeld said.

Barnes has been found, but the mystery surrounding her disappearance has only deepened.

“If someone is responsible for the death of these people, we want to make sure we have all the evidence we can,” Sheridan said.

The forensics, the testing of these bodies, could take weeks to complete. That is information that is critical in solving this case.

Kelly McPherson continues our complete coverage with stunned reaction from friends and family.

As recently as two weeks ago, volunteers and police have been looking for Phylicia Barnes.

From the beginning, her family told WJZ they feared the worst.

“I think somebody might have taken her,” her half-sister said nearly four months ago.

“This isn’t a runaway; this isn’t a child that’s having a bad day,” her father, Russell Barnes, said then.

Four months later, police have discovered and identified the North Carolina teen’s body.

“It’s going to be hard to realize that she’s not here with us anymore,” said her friend Chelsea Carter, of Monroe, N.C.

Her half-sister’s Northwest Baltimore neighborhood has mixed emotions.

“My heart is sad. This is a sad situation,” said one neighbor.

“After three months… I can’t really say much. I just pray for the family,” said another.

People who live in Northwest Baltimore where Phylicia was last seen alive have grown attached to the teen over the last four months.

“Phylicia was a young girl, and she has not seen life or been anywhere at the age of 16,” said Elsie Jones.

And they’re reminded of their own teenage children.

“She travels a lot by herself, and I did become more protective—me and her father–because of what happened,” said Ursula Dorsey. “It hit really close to home.”

After expressing their feelings of relief, now neighbors are wondering about that other body that was found in the river and who did this to Barnes.

Stay with WJZ.COM for continuing coverage of this investigation.

More from Mike Hellgren
Comments

1. SouthCarolina says:

PHYLICIA (BLACK BARBIE) BARNES, AMERICA LOVES YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Denise McDonald says:

SAD AND SO UN FAIR….

1. michellefrommadison says:

But, that’s not an uncommon outcome for prostitutes these days.

2. Kim says:

@ michellefrommadison:

How do you know. Is that what happened to your mother?

3. Colette says:

@michellefrommadison, Please delete your comment. How would you feel if someone said something like that about your daughter, sister or friend. Phylicia most certainly was NOT a prostitute!! She was an honor student, graduating a year early from high school and already accepted to colleges. SHAME ON YOU!!!

4. Margaret says:

@Michelle from Madison- A comment like that would only come from someone that is still immature in the mind. What if that was your daughter, sister or friend. SHAME SHAME SHAME……………………………………………….

5. michellefrommadison says:

Margaret, why you are so uninformed to the facts of this case is anyone’s guess. Perhaps drugs or alcohol is your problem, who knows?

Being factual is not being immature in the adult real world. If that was someone I knew, I’d likely do some not so desirable things to the parents and everyone who had an influence on allowing Phylicia is act like a tramp like she did. Shame, shame, shame on you.

6. Sarita Miles says:

this comment is for that heartless ass bastad michellfrommadison were is your compassion i hope that u and you family don’t ever have to through what the barnes family is going through. If you keeped up with Phylica’s Barnes story you would not have made that nasty ass comment dum ass she was a good child with a good. Her mother raised her well as matter a fact she was accepted in to college and one of choic
        es was where i work towson university. When i frist heard that Phylica was missing my heart dropprd i told my daughter that some body hurt that baby and yes my heart deeply for her and her family and friends of her’s mainly for her mother and i pray and ask god to keep his arms wrapped around her mother and father and the rest of Phylica’s family and loved ones and so should u if you have a heart. Are you a prostitute???????

7. Sarita Miles says:

My heart goes out the barnes family. Ms Jance Sallis you have my deepest and sympaty and my sincere condolence goes out to you. I pray for you and i ask god keep his hands on you and keep you wrapped in his arms. I am so so sorry that this happend to you and your daughter

2. Robert says:

This is another tragic story that should not have happen to such a promising young lady. My prayers goes out to the family and friends of Phylicia Barnes.

May God help them to find comfort in their lost. We as a community will have to stand together and say enough is enough. We will have to get tired of seeing this, before it happens to one of us personally.

God Bless

3. Tim Homes says:

The senseless crime in Baltimore has to stop

4. marian bryant says:

I pray that this family will get closure as to what happen to their daughter. She deserve more than to be thrown in a river like an animal.
      Marian Bryant

2. Doug says:

Good luck.
    With so many bodies being dumped,here and there,
    one never knows.

3. monica says:

In my heart I would have the hope that they found her alive and safe. However, if this is her, I’ll be lifting her family in prayer for understanding and closure in this time of life for them.

4. Tired of Stupid says:

I wonder if u can ever leave ur pessimistic thoughts in ur head and not place them in our spirit! Come on Doug!! All those “bodies” are someone’s children. Have a heart sometimes

5. If that is phylica barnes .I will cry and feel the same way that her parents might be feeling. My family will pray that phylica will come back home safe and sound ,and that everything will be okay…. WE LOVE YOU PHYLICA !!!!!!!!

6. LON says:

Nothing should be said until the bodies are I dentified. I didn’t know Phylica, but for to hear her name made me feel SAD. But for who ever it is in those waters prayers go out and up.. GOD HAS THE last SAY SO!!

7. Dessiee ' says:

My Condolences !!!

8. Mary LeLanee says:

I doubt it is this girl that is missing. Being from the area- word was it was a middle aged white woman and male who had a Kayak accident near the PA/MD line. MD state police were called out this pass Monday for a boating accident.

That Barnes girl is probably in Philly.

1. Nicole says:

Sorry Mary but your doubts are wrong…Phylicia’s dad has confirmed that the body is that of his daughters…my heartfelt prayers goes out to the family…

1. Tonya says:

Noboy has confirmed either bodies…they are so unrecgonizable that they don’t even know the race of them….no matter who it is my prayers go out to their families!!

2. SKD says:

Tonya, the medical examiner uses dental records, and according to what CBS is now reporting, the police have CONFIRMED the identity of the body.

If you know different who is your source?

3. Shawanda says:

that’s true and condolences go out to their family sorry for your lost

2. pos says:

oh so your from that area yeah people from that area normally think there better than everybody and know everything which in reailty all it is is some hill billy old folk and yeah how do you know shes in philly do you know something ??

1. m says:

THERE does not equal THEY ARE You need: THEY’RE

2. m says:

YOUR /= YOU ARE…. YOU’RE

9. kizzylove says:

what makes u think she is in Philly

10. k21207 says:

Whoever it is in those waters, lets pray for them and their families. Speculation will get us nowhere fast. R.I.P

11. Deja says:

My condolences are offered to the families and friends of Phylicia Barnes. Hopefully it will not be her.

12. Kittenspurr2 says:

God bless this family if this is her. The family has to grieve one more time but closer has come

13. Lakishia says:

My thoughts and prayer goes out to the family. And I hope that the body found was not that of Phylicia Barnes

14. Lisa Morgan says:

My prayers are with Phylicia’s family. Whether it’s her or not, my heart is breaking for her family.

15. Rose says:

My heart goes out to the families of both victims. Either way you look at it, there are 2 families that will be greiving for their love ones. May GOD rest both of their souls.

16. Fyre says:

Regardless of the identities of either of the bodies found, they were still someone’s family member. I see a lot of condolences being posted and prayers if it IS Phylicia, but have yet to see anyone offer condolences or prayers for the families of these two people if it is not.

I hope whomever caused the tragedy to these two people, whoever they are, are brought to justice and that the families of these two individuals find peace.

17. makyla says:

i feel bad for her family and i will pray for her family i feel so hurt that her fmily has to go through this so sad😦

18. Rose says:

AMEN to that Frye!!!!!

19. Sandra Chapman says:

Praying for the family. My heart goes out too you all. She was a beautiful Angel.

20. Taraya Gibson says:

iI am so sad to find that it is indeed her body they found, but i am relieved that her family can finally get closure and peace if any. Maryland gets worse and worse by the day and its sad. To everyone on here today, pray for Phylicia and her family, but most important pray for your own kids who are growing up here as well!

21. Tasha Dailey says:

My prayer goes out to the family.I pray your strength in the Lord, I pray for peace in the midnight hour. I pray that joy comes in the morniing. May God Bless You In the loss of your precious Angel…

22. kisha says:

my heart felt heavy every since she been missing and i still feel the same just so sad, phylicia was a smart straight Astudent and had so much going on for her, my prayers go out 2 her family may god comfort them and give them the strength.

23. Taraya Gibson says:

Your right Frye, i hope they identify the man’s body and is able to notify his family so that they may find peace as well. its sad to see your kids go before you. i cant imagine there pain. R.I.P PHYLICIA and YOUNG MAN

24. Melvin Colkley says:

It is very unfortunate for whomever the bodies may be. It takes a cold and heartless individual to kill and dump a person in a raging river and go on about their business. While I hope and pray that Phylicia is found alive, if one of the bodies is in fact hers at least now her family may begin to find closure and heal. May God bless this dying and perverse nation and world.

25. kate says:

How do you know she is in philly mary?

26. sillyTOE says:

All condolences goes out to the mother nd father…..sorry to hear that but truthfully i thought she was still out here whos to say for sure that it is her i mean they did say the bodies were in bad shape

27. KJM says:

Mary LeLanee, I guess you haven’t heard but the missing kayakers where found safe and sound Monday.

28. lynn says:

yea mary how do u know shes in Philly???? do u kno something?

29. SKD says:

My condolences to the family. I have no words that will make the pain of losing a child easier, but you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Mary….sometimes it’s best to say nothing.

30. JohnSmithJR says:

What a terrible shame. Beautiful A student Smart and civilized girl from down south. Comes to a DUMP town like baltiless and gets mixed up with her POS cousin and all her yo yo boy friends and look what happens. This is the future of Baltiless, nothing but a crime ridden disgusting town. Who is the majority here??

1. ratm33 says:

How do you know it was not an accident. Maybe they fell in or something. It was 2 of them.

31. ariel says:

wow thats so sad my heart goes out to her family i feel your pain cause i know how it feels .to loose a child

32. 1uniquemonique says:

My condolences to her parents. Now the questionsare how did she die and who was the man found with her?

33. Ashley G says:

it doesnt and shouldnt matter WHOS bodies they found there ! point is they DID find bodies. These were someone’s daughter, son, friend, uncle, etc. my prayers go out to you alll and may the grievence you feel be lifted ! such a shame !

34. joann franklin says:

that is sad i was hoping she would be found unharm this is the holy week i just hope jesus took her under his wings into paradise god give her family strenght and peace,,,

35. amiee r says:

May God be with this young lady and her family. Heaven is a little brighter now because this beautiful girl is now an angel. My prayers are with the family

36. Ex-Baltimore says:

R.I.P, girl. We all love you. Unfortunately, you came to visit Baltimore. One of the most dangerous cities in America. But you were innocent and could not have known any better. I can only cry at yet another promising young black life ended in the dangerous and horribly violent city that is Baltimore.

37. DOREEN BROWN says:

MY GOD A VERY SAD DAY, I WAS PRAYING SHE BE FOUND ALIVE, MY PRAYERS ARE WITH HER FAMILY, AND THE OTHER PERSON FAMILY FOUND WITH HER.

38. Mark Ayers says:

To Phylicia Barnes family my condolense. Keep your faith in GOD

39. Evil is out there says:

You say to yourself who or what could do this to someone ….are there really people that evil out there….the answer is YES and you better believe that or else you may fall prey to someone that is evil….Sociopath’s that have no feeling’s whatso ever ……killing someone is nothing to these people …..so please keep your children safe and teach them that there are people out there who will harm them or worse …….do not trust anyone

40. Ed Parham says:

This child was a member of my family. When I tell you that this family hasn’t slept peacefully since her disappearance you have no idea. We’ve cried till our eyes went dry. Today we cry harder with pain and sadness.We knew immediately something was wrong the day she went missing. This child would not go off on her own. whoever did this will not rest as they prepare for the hell they will eventually f.ace Pray for the family and as hard as it is to say pray for the soul of the person or persons that took her life.

1. SLHJ says:

Ed, I prayed so hard for a different outcome. Please let you family know that there are people in Baltimore that do care and that we extend our heartfelt sympathies. I’m a mother of three and every day I thought about Phylicia and prayed for a happy ending. I pray that God will give you and your family the strength to pull through.

2. michael says:

to this family i say when your tears began to dry up mines replaced them when i heard it was her my heart seemed to melt she seemed such a wonderful and trusting person i feel in my heart she is with the mighty one she is safe from this world R.I.P PHYLICIA you will allways have a place in my heart .

41. delores perry says:

i was hoping they find her safe may god put his arms around this young lady and the man they found and bless there family so sad

42. Nina Blake says:

My prayers goes out to the barnes family. My she rest n peace and no more fear God Bless

43. So Sad says:

I feel bad I had a feeling that they werent going to find her alive but i still was hopeing that just maybe they would. This is really sad and if she was really murdered I pray they find who did it

44. Rob says:

My heart and cries goes out to the family. May God be with the family doing this sad time, it’s sad it had to end this way…at least the family came to some closer that they can Put Barnes remains at rest. The final chapter will come when the Police find out how commited this horrible crime and bring the person or persons to justice. May God rest her soul.

45. oreo says:

my prayers go out to the families of these people, I will not claim the female as the missing young lady, something is not right with this whole situation.

46. Mary says:

Ed …I am so sorry for your loss. It is so heartbreaking. I think we all wanted a positive outcome. Now, I pray that Justice will be carried out and whoever did this, will be punished for the maximum penalty. I will pray for you and your family and I will pray that the police will find the person or people responsible for this unthinkable crime. God Bless. Rest in Peace beautiful Phylicia.

47. Rob says:

While this is a tragic case, I am baffled over all the media attention and billboards this woman has been on. Many people are killed or disappear in the city, yet this one girl dominates the news…..why?

1. SKD says:

Why not?

There may have been a small window of opportunity back in December in which to find this girl. Why not use every available resource in which to find her?

2. Kim says:

Rob, you apparently have no idea of just how much time went by before any news of her disappearance was in the media at all, other than in Baltimore. Valuable time was lost because someone dropped the ball and failed to issue an Amber Alert for this girl. It took Nancy Grace to make this case national, and even on her show, the issue was why this little black girl received virtually NO media attention after having been missing for weeks.

1. Sarita Miles says:

Rob now do get i? Thank you kim for breaking it down to rob

48. My heart go s out to the family im sorry for ya lost and soooo sorry tht is had to turn out lik ths it mak u want to keep ya children closer to u im pray n tht we find the person who did ths:(

49. CHAR says:

IF YOU CANT SAY ANYTHING NICE ,THEN DONT SAY IT AT ALL ,THIS POOR GIRL HAD A PROMISING FUTURE AND SOME ASS TOOK IT FROM HER,, MAY THAT PERSON BURN IN HELL RIP MS.BARNES

1. Colette says:

Char, Amen!!!

50. Mr. BROOKSS says:

It seems that one of the bodies found in the water is that of Ms. Barnes , and for her and the other body found , my heart goes out to both families . My prayers , my family prayers goes out to both families . My being a child to my parents , and being a parent to my children , and me just being a human being , I am so sadden by this entire outcome to this young lady , the unknown body and the families of both. MAY YOUR GOD and MY GOD touch you and your souls and carry your pain quickly away and fill your life with nothing more than love and happiness for the rest of your lives . GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILIES in this time of need Please let him handle this lost for you , and you will understand his powers

51. bil says:

Never knew Phylicia, but have followed since beginning. From Baltiomre and my heart is broken…

52. Fact Is says:

This may not have been foul play. Both bodies were reported to be recovered naked yesterday. There is a lot of areas to park around the river. It could be 2 kids that were hot and heavy in the moment and thier car could have rolled into the river by accident. We will have to wait and see what the medical examiner’s office reports after the autopsy. The only thing I can not get over is that means there was another person missing just as long as her and it never made the news or got any type of attention!!! And I am sure if you or i was missing for this long of a period, our family and friends would have noticed and made a report that we were missing. So the question is who is this other person?

1. Rob says:

My thoughts exactly !!!

53. questionable says:

I don’t beleave she has been in the water for 4 months. Somebody has a muddy jacket. I think she was moved before the “big search.”

54. Baltimorebob says:

My she walk with the lord fourever and the other poor soul that was found with her we all need to truly open our eyes up and truly see what is going on in this world soso much crime that is totaly destroying us we all need t pull togther and stop all this crime there is just NO NEED FOUR IT GOD BLESS

55. Laurel says:

I was hoping it was not her…very sad day for everyone, but in one aspect one part of this case is closed and now another part has opened, the who, what, where, when and how….hoping this case can close quickly for her family.

56. Doug says:

She obviously hooked up with the wrong people.
    Shame.
    If you read enough news,this seems so common place.
    Hope they find the murderer and Execute him
    by the cheapest means possible.
    My condolence’s to the family

57. Jerry says:

I don’t want to sound he wrong way, but I’m glad that they found her body. Now the family and friends need not worry where she is. She is in a better place.
    Now as for the SOB’s that did this I hope you get whats comming. Keep looking over your shoulder, the cops will be right there.

58. Keith says:

DEAR HEARTLESS MURDERER, YOUR DAY WILL COME VERY SOON. THE LORD WILL MAKE YOU PAY TRUST ME. YOU COMMITED THE ULTIMATE SIN WHICH WAS KILLING ONE OF THE LORD ANGELS. WHAT WERE YOU THINKING. THIS WAS A LIFE YOU TOOK AMD AS IT STANDS YOU WILL NEVER HAD GOOD LUCK. HOW WOULD YOU FEEL IF THIS WAS SOMEONE IN YOUR FAMILY. IM TORN BY THIS ORDEAL AND IM NOT RELATED TO THIS BEAUTIFUL YOUNG LADY. CRIMES LIKE THIS TEARS ME APART. WHITE BLACK MIXED RACE DON’T MATTER. IM A 29 YEAR OLD AFRICAN AMERICAN WITH MORALS GOALS AND A HEART. ALL THESE RACIST COMMENTS DO IS SHOW HOW HEARTLESS THIS WORLD CAN BE IN A SITUATION SUCH AS THIS ONE. THINK ABOUT THE LAST MOMENTS OF HER LIFE. I HOPE AND PRAY SHE PRAYED FOR THE HEARTLESS COWARD THAT COMMITTED THIS CRIME. I HOPE YOU READING THIS POST. COWARD COMMIT CRIMES LIKE THIS. PLEASE KEEP THIS FAMILY IN YOUR PRAYERS AMERICA. SIGNED A PERSON WITH A HEART

59. FRIEND IN CHRIST says:

FIRST WHEN ITS YOUR LOVED ONE, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS CLOSURE. YES, NO MORE WILL HER MOTHER HAVE TO GUESS OR SEARCH, BUT THERE IS NO CLOSURE WHEN SHE WILL NOT SHE HER DAUGHTER GRADUATE FROM COLLEGE, NO GRAND CHILDREN, OR EVERY TALKING TO HER. ALL SHE CAN DO IS JUST TRY TO KEEP ON GOING FOR HER OTHER FAMILY MEMBERS.

60. Diana says:

I feel for the family of Phylicia, the unidentified male, and all those found and not yet found, who fell to their fate by the hand of another. May God preserve the souls of the innocent. May Satan forever commit the souls which are his. God please return all those lost, to their homes and all prematurely demised, direct them heaven-bound. In Jesus’ name I pray…. Amen.

61. kim says:

i am so sorry to hear about this my heart goes out for here family at least now u have some closer and now she will be able to rest in peace this is such a bad situation i to lost a daughter at a young age and the pain never goes away only she left me a baby girl and i do thank god everyday for her u will be in my thoughts and prayaers may god be with u

62. sadsadsad says:

If phylicia barnes was indeed murdered, I hope they find the one who did it and they pay for this. however, being from right around that area (suque/Conowingo) I do know that if you are out on the rivers edge (which is where a lot of kids got to party because its neat to watch the gates open) and the siren sounds, you have four minutes to get far away from the river or you will be whisked away and more than likely never to be seen alive again. Perhaps it wasnt foul play. remember, there are no suspects, and no one has any information so far except for that they didnt suspect that she was with any dangerous persons that evening that she went missing. It could have just been a good time gone bad.. And I mean that in the the most sensible, heart felt way possible. Perhaps her family will have some peace in knowing that she wasnt murdered. U never know. Maybe she was just having some fun and the gates opened up and there wasnt enough time to get away fromt he raging river before it rose quickly. I live within walking distance of the dam and have seen many people have to get rescued out of there because they were fishing and the gates opened.

1. MissingInfo says:

This could be possible if her bodies was found BELOW the dam. Does anybody know for sure where they were found? I have first hand knowledge that officers were looking in the mess of trash that collects in the corner above the dam.

63. more problems says:

My heart goes out to this girls family may god be with them and and I pray for peace and closure I hope they find who done this horrible crime to this young bright girl and bring them to justice

64. Vicki6609 says:

My heart goes out to the Barnes’s family and to all families of murder victims. I will never understand how anyone can take the life of another person. In the end we ll all pay for the things we do in life good or bad.

Rest in peace, Phylicia

65. deonte says:

what a shame somebody took this beautiful girl life away. R.I.P Phylicia Barnes and God Blessed the family

66. TESSANN says:

WHEN IS ALL HIS EIVILNESS GOING TO STOP ? THESE CHILDREN ARE OUR FUTURE AND SALVATION, ARE WE NOT SUFFERING ENOUGH? GOD HELP US ALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I I HOPE THEY CATCH THE EVIL PERSON WHO DID THIS, JUSTICE NEEDS TO BE SERVED. GOD BLESS THE FAMILIES OF THESE POOR VICTIMS

67. john a. hardin says:

My heart truly goes out to the family. I hope that they catch whoever did this for the SOB needs to have his a**#% nailed to the wall.

68. tonya says:

MY GOD BRING EASE TO THE WHOLE INTIRE FAMILY TO BE THERE FOR EACHOTHER TO GO THROUGH THIS TRAGIC ORDEAL TOGETHER PRAYER IS TRUELY BEING SENT UP ABOVE AND BLESSINGS COME DOWN TO ALL.I’CRIED ALSO BECAUSE I’ALWAYS PRAYERD THAT SHE WOULD RETURN HOME SAFE AND TO DISCOVER THIS IT ALMOST TOOK MY BREATH AWAY BECAUSE MOST PEOPLE NEVER HEAL FROM PAIN LIKE THIS BUT PLEASE TRY TO HOLD ON ONE DAY YOU WILL SEE HER AGAIN IN HEAVEN WITH OUR FATHER WHERE ANGELS ALWAYS ARE TO GREET YOU IN HER ARMS AGAIN FOREVER.

69. SteelMagnolia0306 says:

My condolences to the family. I am saddened by all the mean spirited comments on here. Many and I would dare say most of us made poor decisions at her age so what if she was around bad people her Baltimore family exposed her to. She still didn’t deserve to lose her life. Maybe we should all remember “there but for the grace of god goes I” and pray for comfort for her family and justice be served to her killer an that she find peace in salvation.

70. FIX YOUR SITE says:

Cant even watch the video because WJZ has the website setup to refresh every freaking few minutes, FIX YOUR WEBSITE TIRED OF THIS

71. sad to see the young die says:

My prayers go out to the family of Phylicia Barnes and for the other person that was found my prayers go out to anyone who has or still is going through tragic situations like this as a mother i am scared of the world that my children will have to endure later down the line because the world and the people can be cruel no matter what you prepare them for anything can and may happen all you can do is guide and trust the decisions they make it hurts to read the foul comment being made and the words chosen ive never heard anything about her being a prostitute and here this person keeps saying it and even so that was a life chosen for anyone still no reason for man to decide fate a prostitute is still a person and if you go through your whole family tree im sure many bad apples were produced we are human and humans make mistakes learn from it or live by it ppl like that make me sad to be so judgemental I have five children and i pray hard for the people that will enter there heart and mind

72. Arkamia Payne says:

73. Ray says:

I saw people dragging at the dam, then counted 7 cop cars surrounding a pick-up at a wawa a mile away. Thought the two were connected as we dont have many officers patrolling this area. My heart goes out to thefamilies of the two found.

74. susan says:

Another young life gone, so sad. My prayers go out to her family and may they have some sort of peace.

75. Flyshrty09 says:

Id like to give my condolences to Phylicia Barnes family. i’m sorry for your loss.
    May God bless you at this time.

76. KIM says:

R.I.P BABY GIRL!

77. nitwl says:

Phylicia may you rest in peace and may the family find strength in their hour of sorrow. To the person or persons responsible for this evil act, God help you.

78. Stephanie Ross Arkson says:

God Bless You Sweetie!!

79. sandra says:

i dont no her bout when i seen that they found her body i wanted to cry r.i.p baby girl

80. Christina Marie Cruz says:

Dear Barnes Family, I am so sorry for your loss… May GOD be with you in your time of need! She is in a better place now and you will be with her again soon.. I am a mom of 7 and this world scares me.. I can’t imagine your pain… I cried with you all this time and I prayed for her, for you all… Peace be with you all… Phylicia, sweetheart, may you rest in peace… I also hope the family of the young man found has closure.. may he rest in peace as well. GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!

81. Layla says:

I predicted they would find her in water a few weeks ago
    and knew they were looking in the wrong place when they
    searched Patapsco

The truth will be revealed by mid May
    and justice will be served.

RIP Alicia

1. michellefrommadison says:

Only the killer could have predicted she would be found in water. Turn yourself in immediately and let the authorities sort out your confusions. I sent them this link to track you down. Hope that helps.

82. chris says:

why was she allowed to travel without a adult to begin with

1. UA Mom says:

Don’t you think her mother is kicking herself enough without that kind of comment?

2. Sarita Miles says:

If you keeped up with the story her mother was assured that Phylica would in good hands with her sister she didn’t just let her baby lose. What ever Phylica did they did not give anyone the right to take her life she was just a baby in eye site

83. shay says:

To the family …I offer my sincere condolences…I have been following your story since the beginning ..I was praying for a safe return of Phylicia to her parents, family and friends back in altanta….I understand exactly how you feel as a parent who loss her child 5 years ago…..this grief is a horrible experience to endure….to ALL the ignorant people on here….I wouldn’t wish this on you….
    the how and whys dont matter right now…..please PRAY this family strength
    the heartache will always be there…we MUST learn to live with it…..I havent figured it out yet…..My faith has helped…yet there are days…..moments…when you think you can not will not make it…..I pray GOD will wrap his arms around you as you face the tough times ahead….today tomorrow and forever
    take care of each other Barnes family…again I am so very sorry for your loss.
    Jevon’s mom

84. Floyd Carter says:

This is Simply one of the most baffling cases I’ve ever heard of. I pray that Ms. Barnes was not a victim of the Evils that plague this city. Although I did not know this teen, She has been on my mind and in my prayers since her disappearance. I pray we can somehow offer her family & friends our deepest sympathy and it be accepted with honest Sincerity. I lost a younger brother to violence that runs rampid in our city and it stands as the worst PAIN I’ve ever felt. R.I.P. David Carter and hug Phylicia to let her know she’ll still be Loved and remembered FOREVER!

85. rita says:

bless you an family i felt like she was my child missing she was so pretty she did not deserve that stay strong family

86. rita says:

start loving one another our god is good

87. BMused says:

Sad story, and you should have had a literate reporter write it. “…it will stay a pretty much in tack”??? Get someone who writes in English, please.

88. Kevin C. says:

Michellefrommadison, she wasn’t a prostitute you dumb blonde. Rip Phylicia.

89. mj says:

i just have one burning question i live in baltimore the first news reports stated she had gone to a shelter for some reason and because of her age she was turned away and left the area with a police officer any follow up on that story it was reported on wjz 13 that morning was that her or someone else ?

1. mj says:

the reason i say this is this reminds me of an incident where a young male teen was taken to a county park and left with no clothes by police a short time ago from what i understand these two where found with no clothes how did these people get so far from the city was there a car found ?i only hope county parks or state parks are not becoming dumping grounds for our beloved children

90. Bil says:

Whoever left bodies Conowingo has fished there before.Not an easy place to find even during day from Baltimore. Fishing and work are the only ligitimate reasons to be out there…And in January, only work.

91. We pray for you says:

This young girl is in gods hands now. Carma comes back to those who do not follow in gods eyes. This is a known fact in my 30 yrs of life. May god bless her family, and may god make you stronger to get through this hardship.

92. STAN says:

HOW DID THEY FIND THE SECOND BODY SO FOR FROM THE SCENE OF THE CRIME? WHY DID THEY SEARCH THAT FAR ,THREE MILES.HOW DID THEY GET TO THE OTHER BODY? GOD BLESS,PLEASE CATCH THESE CRIMINALS!!

1. Sareyna says:

Some guys fishing in a boat found it while they were still investigating Phylicia. Guys wherever the bodies went in is NOT where they were found! They didn’t sit in the same spot for four freakin months. READ people….Some of you didn’t even read the article apparently…..She NEVER went to a shelter. That report was found false months ago….

93. ReNay says:

I am so very sorry for your lost, may God bless the family and keep them strong. Some one knows and it will be revealed. My family will continue to keep your family in prayer.

94. Deb says:

As a mother of girls I keep reading “It might have been fun gone bad” BUT why was the phone turned off? Why did the step sis not ring the moms phone off the freakin hook knowing this was her ONLY child? Why was the ex the last to see her? Why would a step sis who is PROUD of her gorgeous talented little sis let men in and out of the house? My girls can count on 1 hand how many men have been in MY house!!! These bodies were dumped……

95. Tasha Bowman says:

R.I.P. Babigurl….God pls bring forth answers 2 this horrible puzzle…soar with the angels Phylicia,soar

96. karen:) says:

so horribly sad :,( sorrys to the family may God bless ya’ll<3

97. uneasy feeling about stepfamily says:

I feel very sorry for these famalies it is so sos ad i dont know what i would do her mom and dad are so calm man i would have been a basket case but in one of the moms interview i think she knew or felt her daughter was not okay because she kept saying was as she was already gone and for this so called step sister she should have calle back home asap when she found out she was going this is a young lady in a place she is not familar with and you dont call her mom to tell her hey something is wrong you have to wait till her mom calls you and the only reason she called you is because she could not get hold of her daughter that just doesnt sit well with me ijs may need to check that out i feel they had something to do with it or know something dig deep into that

98. Ilianna says:

May this beautiful young woman rest in peace. My heart goes out to all who knew and loved her. Just by looking at her pictures you can see that she was a beautiful person whos beauty shined form the inside out. My prayers are with you all. May her family and friends find the strength and peace through god to face each day. God bless

99. SHAN says:

My heart & prayers go out 2 da Barnes fam/unknown male/& da beautiful Angel R.I.P. Jus as much as I am sad Im also angry! IM ANGRY DAT UR STEP SISTA KNOING UR NOT FROM/ REALLY KNO 2 MUCH ABOUT DA CITY WOULD GO 2 WRK & LV HER BABY SIS @HER HSE & ALLOW HER EX BF 2 COME OVA 2 GET DA REST OF HIS THINGS?? DEN SHE SAID DA EX BF HAD GON OVA 2 PIC UP HIS CUZN?? SO U LEFT STRANGE GUYS IN UR HSE? Y ASK HM ABOUT DA WELL BEING OF HER 16 YR OLD SISTA WIC HE SAID SHE WAS ON DA COACH ASLEEP INSTEAD OF CALLN & CHKN ON HER HER DAMN SELF? WAT WAS SO IMPORTANT 2 GET FROM DA APT DAT HE COULDNT WAIT TIL DA EX GF GOT OFF FROM WRK? Y CUZN DAT WAS SUP 2 B GOIN 2 PIC HER UP WEN SHE GOT OFF WRK @1:30P CALL GOT NO ANSWER & DIDNT STIL DRV DER 2 CHK ON HER? Y CUZN GONA ASSUME SHE WAS WIT STEP SIS WHO WAS WRKN TILL 6PM & NEVA CALL STEP SIS 2 CONFIRM WIT HER? SOMETHN NOT RIGHT WIT DIS WHOLE STORY & I AM OUTRAGED. SUCH A BEAUTIFUL YOUNG LADY WIT A PROMISING FUTURE GONE & 4WAT? I HOPE & PRAY FOR JUSTICE FOR ALL WHOS INVOLVED!!!

100. michellefrommadison says:

Sarita Miles, in response to your questions at 8:00pm.: Compassion? I have tons for real victims of crimes. Phylicia Barnes is not a victim of anything other than her own poor choices and tax-payers dollars should not be frivolously spent on people of this sort imo. Prostitutes like her appear to run a similar gamut as she did, and I believe it should not be a tax-payers burden to waste valuable resources when people like her behave in such a manner as she did. And, tramps will always be tramps because there is an absence of maturing and mental improvement, similar to the signs and symptoms of mental health dilemmas people like her so often have to battle with. Why you personally choose not to help Phylicia with her tramping issues is something only you can explain. Dysfunctional parents raise dysfunctional children, even some that are accepted into colleges, as the other professions state. At least we can save money now on any future searches on her.

1. Sarita Miles says:

The only tramp is you you heatless ass idiot!!!!!!! I hope you can sleep well youself you tramp!!!!!!!!!!!!

101. toni says:

michellefromhell. You have to be one of the biggest idiots ever. Possibly a closet crackhead? You keep posting comments like this, and the police are going to start investigating your silly azz. You sound like a product of an abusive upbringing.

1. michellefrommadison says:

Facts do scare some people.

102. Pooh says:

michellefrommadison, you are a stupid, ignorant ass. With your comments, sounds like you have some personal interest in the matter. Hopefully, the police will get your info and start investigating your dumb ass. Why on earth would any one say such an awful thing, you are the DEVIL, and you are not disguised. when your nasty ass finally wash, clean your dirty mouth. Say something.

103. Pooh says:

I wonder how was the male body found? (clothes), sorry, I am trying to get that stupid ass remark from michellefrommadison out my head.

104. State Employee says:

ass hole from madison

did she still your man, you sound very bitter.

105. vanessa says:

My heart goes out to the mother, everyday I pray that God will comfort her heart. It’s a sad thing to loose a love one. God knows who killed her daughter, and he will bring them to justice. I believe more than one person was involve in her killing, I send my condolence to the barnes family, especially her mother.

Vanessa