Md. Delegate Seeks Immigrant Tuition Referendum

HAGERSTOWN, Md. (AP) — A state delegate is trying to force a referendum on whether Maryland should allow illegal immigrants to pay in-state college tuition.

Washington County Republican Neil Parrott said Wednesday that the measure recently approved by the General Assembly would make legal residents subsidize the education of illegal immigrants.

Parrott says he has taken the first step toward a petition drive in hopes of overturning the legislation through a statewide public vote.

A spokesman for Democratic Gov. Martin O’Malley says O’Malley plans to sign the tuition bill into law.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Comments

1. SILLYMAN MICHAELS says:

VERY SIMPLE SOLUTION…LET ALL THE ILLEGAL PEOPLE THAT WANT TO
    GO TO SCHOOL HAVE THE DRUG CARTELS PAY FOR IT..THATS THE LEAST
    THEY CAN DO FOR THEIR PEOPLE..

2. Debbie says:

As information unfolds, let us know where to sign the petition as polls have shown the people overwhelmingly are against this bill and that our will was ignored by the legislature.

1. Blake Sutherland says:

Blake Sutherland county coordinator for petition drive send me your contact info and I will be sure you get petition form. email bbds16@verizon.net

3. David A Aughenbaugh says:

Thank You Delegate Parrot, this effort is truly worthy of our time and we appreciate your leadership. The people deserve the right to vote on this issue. The spokesman for O’Malley says he plans to sign bill into law. I say the spokesman [Del Parrot] for the majority of the citizen’s say, not so fast, the people will prevail and have the final say.

4. David A Aughenbaugh says:

Debbie, Where are you located? although in it’s infancy the county coordinators are being identified and we can get you in touch with the right people. To sign and or volunteer to get signatures! Regards, Augie

1. Barb says:

Please let us know when the petition is ready for signatures.

5. Wilford P Wellington says:

These prople don’t deserve to go to any school for any price! THEY ARE ILLEGAL, DON”T YOU GET IT?

6. Rebecca says:

If you cross the North Korean border illegally, you get 12 years hard labor. If you cross the Afghanistan border illegally, you get shot. If you cross the U.S. border illegally you get: a job, a drivers license, a place to live, housing benefit, health care, education, child benefit, tax free business for 7yrs. Need I carry on? …………..No wonder we are a country in debt

1. Angie O. says:

I AGREE! Like they say, only in America! This nation “struggles” or should I say refuses to provide the basic things needed to have a halfway decent life to Americans. But, for immigrants, illegal immigrants, there is a money tree behind the White House…they just pluck off billions of dollars and leave us to foot the bil…What makes an illegal immigrants’ education so much more important than a U.S. Citizen who wants to make something of themselves???

7. Diane Dasch says:

I am certainly going to sign and I will bring my whole family with me to sign. We are struggling to pay for our children to go to colleges here in Maryland and now these elected officials are asking me to help pay for people who are here illegally! What happened to the amendment that was attached at the last minute that is going to allow the schools to decide that their parents do not have to show proof that they paid taxes if they have been “sick” and couldn’t work (free health care given to them)!! WHO at the school is going to make this decision?

8. Herman Glimsher says:

I’LL SIGN!!

AND, I’LL ALSO SIGN A PETITION TO REMOVE FROM OFFICE ALL THE LAWMAKERS THAT VOTED FOR THIS LUNACY…………..IT’S OBVIOUS THAT OUR ELECTED LOSERS DON’T VOTE THE WAY THEIR CONSTITUENTS WANT THEM TO VOTE!!!!!!

9. T says:

Awesome! Way to go Neil!

10. DB of Joppa says:

I’ll sign it for sure!! I’m not sure where the mentality came from, but rewarding criminals, or the children of criminals, in this case, with proceeds taken from our tax dollars couldn’t be any more wrong!!!

I’m not sure what they’re putting in the water down at the State House, but we need a change! Or soon and very soon all we’ll be left with is change, pennies mostly!

11. PAUL E. MICELLI says:

I think the PEOPLE(US legal TAXPAYING People) should have a right as to where their TAX DOLLARS are spent. Get the petition out and let’s sign it, and oh by the way why don’t we remember our ELECTED REPRESENTATIVES when it’s time for ELECTION! VOTE THEM OUT OF OFFICE, MAKE SURE YOU REMEMBER ALL THEIR NAMES, REGARDLESS OF POLITICAL PARTY.

12. AARON says:

http://www.mdpetitions.com/ here is the website for the petition

13. R S Rife says:

So staying on point, these immigrants as I understand will pay for their tuition to attend a Md college. This might indicate that they want to better themselves and be productive young men and women. Where’s the subsidy burden to Md taxpayers? Percentage wise we’re talking small numbers of these illegal (not a crime) kids attending. I have for to long been blindly supportive of this truly sick hosejob of politicians banking on our ignorance for personal gain, any topic, either party. Just a perspective

1. tracey says:

Then you pay it. The politicians, I call them criminals, from both parties couldn’t care a fig about us. They only care about getting back into office. They want the lation population to vote for them. So, they reward illegally behavior (for some) to appease those that vote.
      Never mind that those here illegally have voted and will vote. Not going to tell me that some have not voted. Driver’s Licences, etc., That is a Dumbocratic move to get votes. They know we will fall into line.
      But, again, if it is no big deal to you. Than you pay my families share. We signed the petition and want to bulldoze the State House as well.

14. FEED UP! says:

PARASITE PIGS! That’s all they are. No wonder they are all over-weight, they are being fed on our food-stamps!

15. JOSEPH DOBBS says:

WHAT OTHER DEFINITION OF ILLEGAL IS THERE?

16. dandan says:

No one seems to add that if this bill were to pass, the $3000 tuition grants to honor students would go away. That would be a slap on both sides of of the face for Marylanders.