Phylicia Barnes’ Family Searching For Answers

WINDSOR MILL, Md. (WJZ)—A family looking for answers. Phylicia Barnes’ relatives speak for the first time since her body was found in the Susquehanna River.

Weijia Jiang just talked to the grieving family.

Phylicia Barnes’ older sister and brother said that they had faith she would come back alive. But they say when they heard about the body in the Conowingo Dam, something in their gut told them it could be their little sister. And now they are desperate to find out how she got there.

“When I first heard that it was her, my mind skipped from ‘My sister is dead’ to ‘What’s the next step? What are we going to do as a family? How are we going to handle this?’” said Bryan Barnes, Phylicia’s older brother.

The high school honor student from North Carolina was visiting her family in Baltimore over the winter holidays. She vanished four months ago, prompting an unprecedented search.

On Wednesday, Barnes’ body washed up naked along with that of a man. Police used dental records to confirm it was, indeed, the missing teen.

Though they know where Phylicia Barnes ended up, the family faces a new challenge: finding out how. They’re making an emotional plea for help to anyone who may know.

“Just really come forward,” Bryan Barnes said. “It’s been too long. Now that we know where she is, it kind of helps. But now we gotta take it a step further and figure out why and who and to get that person behind bars as quick as possible.”

And right now, the family is planning a memorial service for sometime in early May. They are looking for a venue big enough. They say they expect thousands of people from across the country to attend.

Police pledge to find out what happened to Phylicia Barnes. At this time, they have not drawn a link between her body and the other body found in the river.

Comments

1. Lois Smith says:

I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful daugher. I prayed that the outcome would be different. My heart is with you. I have also lost my 17 year old daugher, and I share your grief. I pray now that you find answers and that whoever did this will pay!

2. RAA says:

WHY IS THIS STILL A HEADLINE? SOMEONE PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE EXPLAIN TO US WHY THIS WOMANS MURDER IS DOMINATING THE NEWS. YES, EVERY ONE IS SORRY FOR THE FAMILY’S LOSS, BUT PEOPLE GET MURDERED IN BALTIMORE LITERALLY EVERYDAY AND NO ONE ELSE HAS GOTTEN 1% OF THE ATTENTION THIS CASE HAS. MOVE ON PEOPLE.

1. Baltimore says:

Thats just rude this is someones loved one. You would not feel this way if it was your family member.

2. Peace says:

@RAA what kind of heartless comment was that? What would possess you to take the time out and type such words? Did it every dawn on you that perhaps this young lady’s family/friends may be reading these post for added support?

Some simple people in this world…

3. rico says:

I hope a family member of yours gets violated and dumped in the alley like the trash that raised you and called themselves parents!! Raped, Strangled, and decomposed in trash!!

3. Claudette says:

you loose a loved one in tis same fashion…and see how much you appreciate the media attention….true…not every murder case, missing person, etc has gotten as much attention.,and surely not every peice of news…makes the news…but this has and did for many various reasons…I hope yo never have to go thru an ordeal such as this ..nor need the support of total strangers to help you get through something that you could hve never imagined you would have to face. Find something else to do on the internet…if you are not interested then its obvious that YOU are the on! My prayers continue for the family and all those earnestly affected by Phylicia’s disaapearance and death.

1. Peace says:

My point exactly!!! but moving on..
      My heart felt prayers are out for this family, her friends, and school mates!! What a terrible ending.

4. MaryM says:

Please don’t let the ignorance and cruelty of the comments from RAA color how you feel about Baltimore. I have been praying for you child’s safe return since she was first reported missing. Knowing that there are no words that truly comfort I will now pray for you.

5. MaryM says:

Is anyone at the Baltimore Sun paying attention? The above comment by @RAA is as offensive as the one removed. I feel sorry for this person who is so eaten by jealousy because this beautiful young woman was murdered that this person cannot allow the family to mourn without leaving a painful comment. TO RAA, You should have been loved as much as Phylicia you should have excelled as much as Phylicia. It is not her parents fault for loving her and raising her so well. It is your parents fault for loving you so little that you are capable of leaving two awful comments. YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN LOVED THIS MUCH, TOO! Get therapy and stop hurting others. There is no acceptable excuse.

6. Sandra Kendall says:

I am so sorry for the family, this is a crime that didn’t have to happen. This was a mother and fathers child, a sister.I am truly sorry. For the person that did this, turn yourself in or you will continue to kill. You had no excuse to do this. This was a young innocent woman that was trying to make something out of her life she had a short life and was taken away from her parents because of you.

7. DANZELLE DAVENPORT says:

I FEEL REAL BAD FOR THE FAMILY ,ME&MY WIFE FOLLOW THIS STORY PHYLICIA HAD BECOME PART OF MY FAMILY SO YOU ARE NOT ALONE OUR PRAYS GO OUT TO YOU WE FEEL YALL PAIN.KEEP YOUR HEAD UP BECAUES PHYLICIA DID NOT DIE IN VIEN HER STORY TOUCH MANY WE LOVE YALL THE DAVENPORTS.

8. robin says:

I had a dream Phylicia was in the water. I called Baltimore police and shared my dream with the officer that answered the phone. He said to me ms we do not go off of premonition dreams, and my words to the officer was please check the water and he didn’t listen to me. My condolence goes out to Phylicia family.

9. Kyra says:

@ Phylicia Barnes, I didn’t know you personally, but you have deeply touched my heart. I prayed for you and we all prayed that your abductor would have spared your life. Please rest in peace sweet child, you are now with Angels…To the family of such a bright, beautiful young lady- I will continue to pray for you all. I asked God to keep his arms wrapped around you. I can’t say I know how you feel because I don’t. I can only imagine..God will give the detectors and investigators all the clues and knowledge they need to close this case and get justice.

10. Tynisha Kane says:

Tynisha Kane
    I didnt know this young lady at all but I have 2 beautiful kids and I dont even want to imagine anything happening to them.I know that she is in heaven looking down on the person that did this 2 her.My prayers go out to Phylicia family and I believe in my hurt that justice will be served.God Bless.

11. Maxizine Smith says:

We are to mourn with those who mourn, weep with those who weep, we are to serve each other with love, compassion, and empathy. To those who are mourning you are not forgotten what ever the cause of your hurt. Barnes Family keep holding on, keep searching.

12. Taliyah Carter says:

@RAA That is really cruel to say. The reason people cases in Baltimore get no attention is because people will not come forward and speak up, and that is their decision to make. his family DOES have a right to know what happened to this young lady. You really could have kept that remark to yourself. I’m just saying.

1. Taliyah Carter says:

I meant this family also

13. Tonya says:

@RAA may be one day you will be the one making headline news because you were missing and then found dead and then I can post the same ignorant post about you! Its obvious you have no compassion for human life. BASTAD!!!!!

14. Laurel says:

I am both saddened and glad they found her body…..sad because someone killed her and most likely for no reason….and glad because the family can now bury her and put her at peace….I hope they do find the person that did this and he/she will be punished. So unbelievable. Rest in peace Phylicia.

Comments are closed.