WJZ Looks Back On Schaefer’s ‘Crabby Days’

BALTIMORE (WJZ) — As we begin the remembrance of William Donald Schaefer this week, WJZ is taking a look back at the lighter side of the former mayor and governor.

Ron Matz reports many may remember the “Willie Don Crab.”

In August 2005, the Willie Don Crab made its appearance in front of the Canton Safeway.

Then the state comptroller, WJZ found William Donald Schaefer in Fells Point to get his reaction.

“I’m crabby all the time, 23 out of 24 and the other hour I sleep. But it’s an honor to be picked out and have your photograph taken and have it go on a crab,” said Schaefer.

Schaefer loved the work of artist Jerry Breen, and the fact the crabs were being auctioned to benefit Baltimore City schools.

“They’re nice, anything for promotion of the city is nice. I like it. It made me too handsome and put hair on my head. The guy who did it gave me hair and I like that man,” said Schaefer.

Many other people liked the crabs around town.

“I think it’s a great piece of work. He was a great governor and a great mayor,” said Abe Lindemann, from Canton.

The Willie Don Crab was purchased by a local real estate developer and later installed on the parking lot of the East Side Courthouse on North Avenue.

More from Ron Matz
Comments

1. Herman Glimsher says:

CORRECT ME IF I’M WRONG, BUT WASN’T SCHAEFER THE ONE WHO CALLED THE EASTERN SHORE “THE SH-T SIDE OF MARYLAND” BACK WHEN HE WAS MAYOR OR GOVERNOR????

I THINK HE REALLY MADE A LOT OF PEOPLE MAD WITH THAT STATEMENT…………….I GUESS THAT’S ALL BEEN FORGOTTEN!!!

1. overregulated says:

Not on your life…I can go one better: After his infamous sh!thouse side comment, people from the shore built fake outhouses in the backs of trucks and drove through Annapolis, and Schaefer had State Police take the tag numbers and harass those same people.

He also made it quite clear that the Eastern Shore didn’t matter because we could all vote against him and he would still get elected.

Funny, the more things change the more they stay the same.

2. rick says:

Bury the P.O.S & be done with it.

3. Herman Glimsher says:

THE REASON I BROUGHT THAT UP WAS BECAUSE EVER SINCE HIS DEATH I HAVEN’T HEARD ONE BAD COMMENT ABOUT HIM, BUT WHEN HE SAID THAT ABOUT THE EASTERN SHORE THERE WERE MANY PEOPLE THAT WANTED HIM TO RESIGN……………..AND, I KNOW HE DID A LOT FOR BALTIMORE, BUT I DOUBT HE DID ANYTHING FOR THE EASTERN SHORE OR THE D.C. SUBURBS………………………HIS FOCUS WAS BALTIMORE AND THE SUBURBS OF BALTIMORE.

1. Sharon Lieder Graley says:

WELL SOMEONE HAS TO CARE ABOUT BALTIMORE…..WHAT HAS BEEN DONE SINCE HE LEFT???????

1. overregulated says:

But when you are governor, you have to care for the state as a whole, and not just particular areas.

4. Balmorean says:

I think he developed some gradual dementia as he aged, and it seems unkind that upon his death people mock him because he acted inappropriately when he was aged and ill. The whole Inner Harbour development was his idea; he did far more to promote and improve Baltimore than any individual in my memory. Unfortunately many of it’s citizens chose to be uneducated, violent, amoral and drug seekers; they’ve gone a long way to undoing the very things he tried to accomplish to improve Balitmore. Rest in peace, Governor – you worked hard to improve Baltimore, but you couldn’t do it alone.