5-Year-Old Boy Attacked By Pit Bull

BALTIMORE (WJZ) — A little boy’s leg was mangled by his neighbor’s dog in East Baltimore.

Kelly McPherson spoke to the brave 5-year-old and to the dog’s owner.

After a dog attack, the kindergartener is recovering with 106 stitches and 12 staples.

“I was going over there with my friend.  The dog came over out of the yard; he came under the gate and bit my leg,” said Khalil Willis.  “I told him to get off of me, but he kept biting my leg.”

“It was just last night he was asking me to ride the scooter and now that that happened, he won’t be riding the scooter for a while,” said Willis’ stepfather, Carlton Matthews.

The family says the attack happened in an East Baltimore alley Monday afternoon.  Bystanders threw bricks at the dog to scare it away.

Animal Control is taking the dog away from the owner.

“They have the wrong dog,” said the owner.

“There are a lot of dogs around here who look alike,” said the owner’s friend, Wayne Eggleston.

The owner also claimed not to know anything about another dog WJZ saw in the upstairs window where he lives.

A neighbor said off-camera that her son was bitten by the same dog recently when he got out of the fence but she didn’t press charges because the dog had had his shots.

The boy’s family wants the dog gone.

“I’d just rather see him come around and apologize and let us know that he’s really apologizing and just mean it from his heart and be sincere,” Matthews said.

There was a delay in responding to this attack due to the city’s furlough days.  That’s why the dog was taken away Tuesday.  The family is weighing their options about pressing charges.

Baltimore City police confirm officers filed a report.  No one has been charged in the case.

Comments

1. pigeon says:

Mr. Eggleston, the dog’s owner is worse then the dog. He has out-and-out lied (no other dog on the premises but one was seen in an upstairs window). He is like the parent who would say “not my child; he or she wouldn’t do anything wrong) but instead indication “there are a lot of dogs around here who look alike”. Sir, you are arrogant and should not own ANY animal. Why was that dog, because of the type it is, allowed outside without supervision especially since there is, evidently, openings in the fence/gate allowing him/her (the dog) to get out.
    Shame on the “neighbor” for not reporting the dog bite to her child or press charges “because the dog had had his shots”. Evidently the parent didn’t have the smarts to know that kind of information is kept on record.
    As for Kahlil, I do pray the young child recovers without too much emotional distress and does not grow up thinking all dogs are vicious; dog can and do make wonderful pets.
    Now for the “kicker”. Just because of the city’s furlough days this dog wasn’t picked up until today. That’s just total BS! Do you mean also that no criminals were arrested during this same time period because of the furlough days. Sorry, even with many employees off, BUSINESS STILL GOES ON!. Look at how many people you put in danger because the city is short of money. Like I said – total BS!

1. SLAPINTHEFACE says:

OK THE PUBLIC ONLY KNOW THIS HAPPENED IN EAST BALTIMORE CAN SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE US SPECIFICS OF WHERE, I LIVE IN EAST BALTIMORE AND DON’T WANT SUCH A THING HAPPENING TO NO OTHER KIDS

1. sheriff says:

Tell all your Coon friends who have a love affair with these killer dogs that we’re coming for them….Like you live there & you don’t already know who’s breeding? hellllooooo!!

2. sheriff Willie is a girl says:

sticks and stones sheriff… you’re just so tough behind the computer

3. Notsure says:

I think it might be around Paterson park n hoffman, the guy and the dogs look familiar and friends of mines used to live next door, and at that time the guy had two baby light brown pits.

4. Notsure says:

Oh nvm that wasnt the same house i was tlkn bout

2. Country Goin Out Da Bounds says:

The dog was hungry in the wrong places. The dog should have gotten groceries so he can eat right. Remember the song, Looking for love in the wrong places? Country song!

2. howard says:

No dog is worth a human. PUT THE DOG DOWN. I have the same thing at my house. My next door neighbor’s dog put another neighbor in shock trama. He was told that it has to bite twice. Dog’s still there. Now when that dog comes to the fence, I go in the house. SAD. The man that lives there is a county police and the owner works for the county. At one time they had five dogs and denied it to athoritys. Wish the boy all the luck in the world.

1. Livelihood says:

Tell that to Mike Vick!!!!!

2. Boy Becomes Dog's Meal Ticket says:

Make sure the dog has plenty of groceries otherwise the children or elderly will become the groceries. The dog was hungry and wanted to enjoy a nice meal and the boy partly became the dog’s meal.

3. Tiffany Jones says:

Everybody in this video is mad ignorant and it’s embarassing! And how dare the DUG’s owner act so nochalant? I saw a picture of the mother on another station and she was atrocious!!!!

4. Zaidi says:

Not surprised. The dog is reflecting the mental state of the owner.

5. Ken says:

Pit bull…bred for fighting…need I say more?

1. ha ha says:

yes, you need to say more…that’s like saying, “well, the drunk guy got behind the wheel of the car and put a 5 year old in the hospital… cars, need I say more?”

1. kr says:

No the statement will be Drunk guy behind the wheel put a 5 yr old in hospital (killed another and another) DUI=Death need I say more?

2. ha ha says:

ok, so is it the guy drinking or is it the alcohol or the car? is it the owner responsible for proper care and treatment of his charge or is it the dog?

2. livelihood says:

I’ve been saying this all along, when are you ppl gonna listen! Probably when it hits home..

6. HooDatIS? says:

GET WELL YOUNG MAN
    I AM PRAYING FOR U
    I AM AFRIAD OF DOGS BECAUSE I WAS ATTACKED WHEN I WAS YOUNG
    BUT WHAT DONT KILL US ONLY MAKES US STRONGER
    VISIT MY BLOG

1. kevin says:

You know what? I have been attacked by a few dogs myself! And a few of them have been Pitbulls, but I have 3 Pits myself. It is how you train those dogs. If you treat them like killers and do not socialize them, than they will attack and kill someone. My 3 dogs are lovable, they wont bite someone but they sure will lick them silly. I treat my dogs like family, and they give me love daily.

7. Lady Shirley says:

The owner of the dog does not know anything about the dog in HIS window? Come now, we’re not idiots. The owner, and all owners, of dangerous breed dogs that attack and injure someone should be fined a minimum of $5,000, serve a minimum of 3 yrs. in jail, not allowed to ever own another dog, and pay the visctim’s medical bills. That is more that fair. I wish a complete and speedy recovery to the little boy in this story.

1. sheriff says:

Lady Shirley, Might as well fine them 5 million dollars, They’re never gonna pay it. Haul there a$$ off to jail for a month & let them sit in the general population.

8. Williams says:

All pit bulls need to be taken from there owners,if u cnt control your Dog why get 1. Lil man stay strong and Keep fighting.

1. bullymom says:

Not ALL pitbulls need to be taken from their owners! You should really do your homework before making a statement like that! You are saying that ALL pitbulls are bad dogs. THEY ARE NOT! Some are therapy dogs…even a few of the rehabilitated Vick dogs are therapy dogs! My bully was a show dog! He nuzzles the orphaned kittens that I raise and he tries to lick them clean like their own mothers would! My dachshund, however, isn’t as nice. So, should we remove all dachshunds from their owners?

9. YouALLMakeMeSick says:

wow … i love all the people on here talking trash about pit bulls … HELLO ALL DOGS BITE!!! … I’ve owned my pitbull for 3 years and not once has he attempted to bite anyone or anything. I have a 1 year old daughter who chases him and plays with him everyday. You all need to be angry with the owner for allowing his dog to be that way. It’s how the dogs are raised that make them so dangerous. I have a guy in my neighborhood who has a golden retriever that is nasty. But oh if he bit anyone you guys would be on here talking about someone must have provoked the dog to bite them since it’s a retriever. NOT ALL PITBULLS ARE DANGEROUS!!!! GET OVER IT!!!

1. Sybil says:

No, but when he does bite someone, it’s not gonna be pretty!!

2. chuck says:

“all dogs bite”? why is it that every single instance of a dog bite is a pit bull? Gas all of them.

3. George says:

NOT ALL PITBULLS ARE DANGEROUS but most are. Remember that time when that child got mauled by a (insert any breed other than pit) and received 106 stiches? Me neither! It just doesn’t happen. Maybe it is a bad owner, but if he had a poodle that little boy wouldn’t be sitting in a wheel chair. Why do people in the city need such a big dog? Home protection? Did you see the house and neighborhood on the News. Get rid of the dog, use the money you save on dog food to fix up your home and get out and clean your alley. It’s your neighborhood – take some pride. Maybe I’ll leave that issue for another day.

1. ha ha says:

Please provide the source for your facts.

10. Sick of stupid says:

pigeon – not sure I could have said it better myself….people dont take responsibility for anything in their care anymore. Dogs, Kids, Older Family Members…our society has taught us that responsibility is not for us to take on. Shame on an animal owner who knows that their dog has a perpensity to bite, yet does nothing. Pitbulls can be very loving pets if they come from a responsible breeder and are raised in a responsible way. Any dog, any animal for that matter can bite. Kids bite…but we take the time to teach them its wrong and they can not do it. Responsible dog owners do that same. Unfortunately this poor animal who was never taught to behave will suffer for its owners neglect!

11. drifty2 says:

not all pit bulls are breed for fighting. All dogs bite. More than likely it is the owner that makes a dog on the edge. Also doe sanyone have any idea how that dog and if the dog was treated when it was outside. I have a lab that I do not trust do to the fact that when he is outsiade the kids tease him. So he is not able to pull out a gun and shoot you. (like people do today), There only defense is to bite. Take a look at the whole picture instead of the dog breed.

1. chuck says:

again..”all dogs bite” but pits maul and kill..thats what they do…..gas em all!

1. drifty2 says:

How bout gasing the owners also. You seem very negitive on animals.

2. Angela Creswell Glass says:

You are an idiot! I have owned a pit bull for 5 years. It’s the OWNER, not the breed. All dogs do bite – and I have seen some fierce bitings and killings that were not done by pit bulls. Grow up!

12. Terri says:

It’s has always amazed me that every “pit bull” attack has been a wonderful pet; however, statistics show that about 80 percent of the attacks are within the household and a family member is maulled and the owner scratches his head and states “my pit bull was always so docile.” Imagine that!

“Four pit bulls attack, kill N.M. woman on Easter
    Police say they had to shoot at pit bulls mauling N.M. woman to death to drive them off”.

The UK prohibits Pit bulls and is legislating bans on all Pit bull breeds. When will the USA wake up: ”
    “Britain’s Ban on Pit Bulls Extended to Previously Legal Breeds
    Published on March 26, 2009 by Alison Green · 13 Comments
    “An anti breed specific legislation group has reacted in horror to the confirmation that previously legal dog breeds and cross breeds are to be caught up in the net designed to outlaw ‘Pit Bull Terrier type dogs’.

“Legislators in the UK have put together a piece of law which will ban previously legal breeds and cross breeds. The bill will, it is promised, see Britain free from dog attacks by ‘the dangerous dog breeds’.
    Legislators behind the bill claim it will “eradicate the more dangerous dogs that can inflict injury upon children” and will better protect the public from serious, fatal dog attacks. They go on to set out the grounds of the new bill and exactly which dogs could fall foul of the new legislation.”

(yea, all you dog nuts “go for it”…..)

13. deb says:

When was the last time you heard of a chihuahua MAULING someone

1. Shannon says:

You dont because no one reports when a little dog attacks someone. They think its cute when they nip!!

1. YouALLMakeMeSick says:

exactly … no one reports any dog attack unless it’s a pit bull … it’s a shame

14. whatnow says:

I was bitten by a chihuahua. They are vicious. They just don’t have the size to maul. The bite hurt and got infected and I have a permanent scar.

1. Irene says:

Sorry about that, but did you get a severed femoral artery like my son did as a result of an attack by a pit bull breed?

1. Pit Bull Loving Mommy says:

how old was your son when he was bitten? and where were you? and if he was older, then he should have been more careful…if he was younger, then YOU should have been more careful. Who was the dog’s owner? Which pitbul mauling story was yours? Because I’m sure it was in the news… please post a URL to the news story that would surely have been ranted over when your son was bitten.

15. QT says:

I AM AFRAID OF ALL DOGS EVEN THE LITTLEST ONES AND I HATE ALL DOGS. I WAS ATTACKED AS A CHILD AS WELL. SHAME ON THE OWNER FOR NOT TAKING RESPONSIBILITY, I WOULD WOULD PRESS CHARGES OUT THE ASS IF I WAS THIS PARENT. I HOPE LIL MAN MAKE A FAST RECOVER

16. THE TRUTH says:

A friend of mine had a beautiful bit bull that was so sweet, gentle and huge, that’s the way she trained him to be. There’s a lot of fighting going on with these dogs in the city ane everyone knows about it. And let’s not forget about the Thug with a Dug status, they train the dogs to be just as vicious as they are!!!!!!!!. Look at the owner sticking up for his Duuuuug with no regard for the child. They should have hauled his butt away as well and took the dog they saw in the window!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How many more people have to mauled or killed before the city does something about this problem??????????????? Hey sheriff I agree with your comment pit bulls and blacks (and I’m a black woman) the truth is the truth.

1. YeahRight says:

Sheriff called you, a black woman, a coon – and you agree with him???

17. THE TRUTH says:

YeahRight, it’s not sheriff I’m worried about…. it’s you. I agree with the comment pit bulls and blacks. Re-read the comments. Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never, ever hurt me. THE TRUTH IS THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Proud Dog Owner says:

YES, ALL DOGS BITE! I have a 12 yr old golden who recently bit an adult who stepped on her. It was a single puncture wound, but the person didn’t clean it and it got infected. I had Animal Control at my house, I had to verify her shot records, and quarantine her for 10 days. They returned to check her health in 10 days before lifting the quarantine. Pits get a bad rap due to two things: 1) idiot owners who should never own a dog because they don’t know how to raise them, and 2) when they do bite, they are so muscular, massive, and are generally those owned by itiots, that they can’t control their rage. I hope the little boy makes a full recovery and realizes that caution should be used around all dogs, not just pits.

1. whatnow says:

You don’t have to be a dirty person who doesn’t clean a bite to get infected. I cleaned my wound and put on antibiotic cream but it got infected anyhow. The doctor said since I have allergies to most dogs, it would only stand to reason that I wouldn’t have the immunity to fight off an infection from a bite.

19. sheriff says:

Dogs should be outlawed in the city period. Dogs need room to exercise & run, the city is no place plus the &*^%$# barking at night is a real PIA. Then they s….t everywhere & people step in it & it get’s washed down into the bay for the crabs to eat & you idiots eat crabs.

20. Sandra Perdue says:

The truth be told I am a pit bull owner and if you are not going to take care when you own one then you should not have one a pit bull. All you pit bull HATERS need to get a grip they are not breed as fighting dog. Maybe if the news stations did their jobs right you would see that there are more dog bites and attacks by other breeds then by the breed i own and love.. she is a 60 lbs lap dog that loves to be loved. I don’t let anyone in my house with out letting them know i own a pit bull, she has never lunged or bit anyone in the 5 years i have had her. oh and I must be a really bad person because not only do i own a pit bull i also own a rotti … So everyone needs to get their facts right about the breed and stop reporting just pit bull attacks if you are not going to report on all dog attacks

21. Angela Creswell Glass says:

tttt

22. Patricia Smith says:

Hello Sheriff, I’m not hiding….I have been on several sights and have seen your ignorance. You have mental health issues and are a troll.
    No body pays any mind to you because your mind “aint right”. Plus your spelling and words are atrocious.

23. El Jefe says:

I’m really surprised about the ignorance of some of the comments. If you think that all pit bulls are bred to be vicious, you are just as ignorant as the Owner. I do not blame to dog one bit, yes it is sad, but its the owners responsibility. There are always two sides to a story. They say the kid was playing in the alley. I have a pit myself with a alley in my back yard, and I see kids all the time teasing my dog with sticks and running along the fence in teasing manner. All this story does make false assumption about Pit Bulls, the story has so many holes, I don’t know who to believe. The only Victim here is the Dog.

1. Sandra Perdue says:

I am so happy to see pit bull owner post on here. you post could not be any more true … They are great dog

24. Meli Zen says:

“All dogs bite”? I have been around and owned dogs my entire life. None have ever bit, other than gentle “play mouthing”. All dogs need to be trained and trained properly. Pit bulls are very people oriented by nature. A pittie that would bite a child is the result of poor breeding or training the dog deliberately to bite. My prayers for the young man’s complete recovery and that he is not made afraid of all dogs because of this.
    Speaking of breeding, I hope you’ve had a vasectomy, sheriff. This world doesn’t need any more of your brand of hate.

25. Ex-Baltimore says:

Pitt Bulls are vicious dogs that are the favorite of vicious people. It’s well proven! Poor people love this kind of dog because they are poor examples of human beings.

26. sheriff says:

Patrica Smith, This is for you hot pants. Talk about two wrongs making a right? Your spelling will get you guaranteed summer school for sure. Even Stevie Wonder can see that. Your right though that I am crazy. I’ll plead that & get probation or PBJ when captured. Lastly, if no one pays attention then how come you’re on here & commenting on this handsome dude?

27. deb says:

sheriff grow up

28. mike says:

don’t blame the dog ! the boy should have stayed in his house and would not have happened . RIGHT ?

29. deb says:

mike are you telling me all kids should stay in there house b/c a dog might bite them that is supposed to be in a yard ..you need a reality check

30. Trudy says:

my g/s hasa pit and he is the nicest,well trained dog. they have a 1 y/o and watches over that little girl.
    i know i always heard sroies about them but now I see that they are NOT all the same,depends on how they are trianed.

31. Shannon says:

Oh wow, the ignorance of people and their hatred for pitbulls. They dont just attack people for fun or because its in their blood. They do the things they do because that is what the owner taught them. LOOK IT UP. They ranked top 5 on the temperment test…. BETTER THAN A GOLDEN RETRIEVER. They also bite less people than Golden Retrievers annually. Get your facts straight. Punish the owner, not the breed.

32. Irene says:

Can we just grow up and stick to the topic?

33. Irene says:

Mike,

Really? Catch a clue. It is not only the dog owners that cause these results. Not all dogs can MAUL no matter how bad they are treated.

34. Doug says:

I feel the owners of vicious dogs, as this one should be held for criminal charges,
    as if it were a gun shooting.
    The owner should do time,as if his hand gun went off as he waved it wildly.
    I see no difference

35. Mz.B says:

Pit bull attack in a drug infested neighborhood.. wow what a surprise. Of course the comments about the viciousness of the pit bull will be non stop, over looking of course the idiot owner who’s soul purpose of owning pits is to protect his money and his drugs! Idiots! Ban Bad Owners!

36. Erica says:

I am wondering where these folks are? I have to find a new home for my very loving female pit- Jada. If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated. My heart goes out to the baby and his family. But I know for a fact that with proper training and nutrition pitbulls are awesome family dogs. I respect everyone’s opinion- please respect mine’s. Peace

37. Carrie says:

I’ve come across many pit bulls and they have all been big love bugs. Before ever meeting one personally I was afraid of them because of the horror stories I’ve heard through the media. Now I absolutely adore the breed after finding out on my own just how special they are.
    Don’t judge the breed, judge their owners.

38. VWGirl says:

also Sheriff….willie….is a racist

39. keep the peace says:

Heres the thing. Why was the child out doors with out supervision that late in the evening in an alley? Why did the owner of the dog not know about the fence issues? Thats rediculous. Yes i am very sorry to hear about the child getting hurt, and i hope he makes a full recovery and doesnt turn out to hate animals. The dog however, i feel should not be completely to blame, its the OWNER! Yes the OWNER needs to pay the bills, but the dog should be rehabilitated, NOT KILLED! 2 WRONGS DONT MAKE A RIGHT!!! The dog was only doing what it was taught, and thats a horrible thing. I have been attacked by a 5 pound Maltese, the dog ripped my hand open and i needed 10 stiches. Yes that is not that same as what this child went through, but nothing happened with this dog b/c “it was a cute lil dug”. I was horrified, my hand swelled to the point where i needed it drained, and i wanted to press charges, but was told that i couldnt, b/c “it wasnt a big deal”, well to me it was. That was about 6 years ago, and i still dont have full use of my hand. I have tendon damage and nerve damage. All dogs DO bite, and its a shame that Pits (or as i call them Pibbles) are the only ones that get reported to the police. Its sad. I love dogs, and i work with animals, and i have never (personally) had a bad expirence with Pits, in fact i totally love them!
    This is just a very sad situation, I wish the child a full and speedy recovery, i hope the parent of the child now understands that maybe they should be more of a parent, and take notice to when their kids go outside and maybe, just maybe go out to supervise them. I hope the owner of the dog pays for the medical for the child, and i pray that the dog is NOT euthanized, but sent to be rehabilitated.

1. Mz.B says:

Keep the Peace, absolutely agree with your comment. I was wondering the same thing myself about this child and where the supervision was. I happen to catch this on t.v the day it happened and nor the child or mother could speak a lick of proper English. I don’t care where you live why was the five year old outside without supervision. I agree the owner should be punished not the dog, but I also think someone needs to look into this parent. Exactly where was she while this dog had time to squeeze through the fence and maul her child?

1. keep the peace says:

Mz.B
        I totally agree with you. Where was the parent? And also, there are stary dogs everywhere because people breed them and then “let’em loose”. its such a shame that people what to be victumized and want others to feel sorry for them, when they cant take responsibility for their own actions. IF the parent where out there, the child would not have been injured. Its sad that parents these days are not acting as though they are parents and are allowing their offspring to do what ever they want. I am ashamed to say that i live in Baltimore because of issues like this one. I love it here, and i love Pits, but this kind of breed racism needs to be stopped. Killing animals wont make other animals not bite, owners need to be more careful and cautious (no matter WHAT kind of animal you have) and parents need to be PARENTS. If they cant handle the blessing of being a parent, then maybe they should STOP REPRODUCING!

40. concern citizen says:

just a FYI everyone the owner of this pitbull while I am not saying he should not show compassion to the situation. Wht the media does not say is that the owner is legally deaf and the dog is his hearing dog…not use for fighting. The repoorter asked him is that your dog..and all he said was no..not I do not knwo what you are talking about. and the dog that was in his window was a poodle of a girl that came over. Please dont not let first glance judge a person…the man is handicap and was very stunned by all the media being their he didnt know really what to say and had people telling him not to say too much…he was at a lost. I am so sorry for this little boy and his hurting mother…I do agree that in this case that yes the city shoulf give him a hearing dog. He got the dog and it is registered. It just so happen it was a pitbull. I just thought I chime in. Not make any excuses just wanted to say that it is unfortunate and not to always believe everything you hear in the media because they sensatinalize the incident for pubilicity

41. angel says:

To many of these attacks are happening with pitbulls. Pitbulls can be loving dogs just like the rest, but some of these owners are the pitbulls. They have no Respect for man kind and because so many use these dogs for fighting. I think there should be a law for All owner that own these dogs or seen with these dogs show license. If they do not have license, the dog will be remove period. There are some very sick people in our world today, and many have lost their minds. People get your family and your life together, stop being stupid!!!