WATCH: CBS coverage of Army-Navy game right now on WJZ | Who Will Win? | Army-Navy 2016

Boy Recovers After Being Attacked By Pit Bull

BALTIMORE (WJZ) — A child is recovering following a vicious dog attack.

Weijia Jiang has the latest on the boy’s condition and what will happen to the dog.

Five-year-old Khalil Willis can’t walk right now after getting 106 stitches and 12 staples in his right leg.

“I was going over there with my friend.  The dog came out the yard, he came under the gate and bit my leg,” Willis said.

The kindergartener says he was walking to a friend’s house Monday afternoon when a pit bull attacked him in an East Baltimore alley.

Later, Animal Control officers took the dog to the BARCS shelter.

“I told him `Get off me’ but he kept biting my leg,” Willis said.

The dog will be held at BARCS for the next 10 days.  After that, the owner will have what’s called a vicious dog hearing to determine if he can take the pet home, and under what circumstances.

“Like I said, they just got the wrong dog,” the owner said.

The owner says he wasn’t home when Willis was bitten, but can’t believe it was his pit bull.  The owner also claims he doesn’t know anything about a puppy we saw in the window where he lives.

The little boy’s family is considering pressing charges, but what they want first is an apology.

“Let us know he’s really apologizing and mean it from his heart and be sincere with it and I’d be happy with that,” said his stepfather, Carlton Matthews.

The family says they are exploring options for taking legal action, but so far, no charges have been filed in this case.

Willis is expected to be out of a wheelchair in four to six weeks.

Comments

1. Craig Rose says:

I think they have the wrong dog that dog doesn’t look like it would attack anyone!!!

1. Thelma Geminithetwins Alston says:

WELL, THERE ARE SOME PEOPLE WHO LOOKS LIKE THEY WOULD NEVER MURDER SOMEONE, BUT THEY DO.; AND HOW IS A DOG THAT ATTACKS SUPPOSE TO LOOK????????

1. sheriff says:

Thelma, He looks like a N……r dog, has dreadlocks, barks like the brothers cause you can’t understand what they say anyway, wears their collr down to the crack of their A$$, has gold tooth & walks with a shuffle. …Thelma, that’s how we be knowin how’s the doggie walk & talk.

2. LarryG says:

Maybe your reading comprehension is in trouble.

2. Contessa says:

A woman was just killed by pit bulls. We have no rights – those dogs kill and we should carry weapons with us no matter where we walk. So much for enjoying the weather and getting some exercise. The owners know these dogs are vicious – the justice system has created this.

1. Thelma Geminithetwins Alston says:

that is so true, and animals have more rights they humans in this society.

2. Stanley says:

You can’t be that ignorant!!!

3. Jonah Rombro says:

Oh yeah, let;s just write this one off. Just because it doesn’t look it, doesn’t mean it isn’t capable of it.

4. matter of fact says:

well the dog did attack him. the little boy is my cousin. u shouldnt judge a book by its cover.

5. Michael Nauton says:

i say it’s the boys fault….he should have stayed in the house !

1. pigeon says:

Your basis for such a stupid comment is what?

1. whatnow says:

sarcasm!

6. more problems says:

To michael nauton you are really a jack a** why should the little boy have stayed in the house are you serious he is a child he should be able to come outside and have fun I’m sorry that this had to happen to him but you are really a jerk you must don’t have kids or family because if you did then you would understand that kids do come outside to play to go to the store and etc… I’m glad that he is ok and I hope for a quick recovery

1. LarryG says:

More-on, it was sarcasm, dummie. Jesus Christ!!

7. Michael Nauton says:

you people took this ALL wrong ! i was saying the dogs owner said it was not the dogs fault ! i’m on your side . i’m sorry if you took it the wriong way .

1. whatnow says:

I gotcha Michael.

8. april says:

Hello I am extremely sorry to hear about that little boy but I want to get one thing straight i am sick of hearing everyone saying that all pit bulls r vicious I owntwo pits and I have 3 children people need to stop blaming the breed and start blaming the owners animals r like children they become what u make them has anyone ever thought to c how these dogs were treated they can’t talk and tell us if they were abused or miss treated they show no bruse if they r tourtured. Someone needs to make the owners pay.

1. Thelma Geminithetwins Alston says:

I agree, the owners have a responsibility to their animals, and that is keeping them on leashes and get a high enough fench so they won’t get out to hurt anyone.

9. april says:

I hope the family does sue that way the owner is held responsible the parents of bad children r held responsible. If there children do things wrong the cops and others hold them accountable how is an animal any diffrent then a child.

10. Ben C says:

Did you see the owner of the pit bull on the 6 o clock hiding behind a lovable lap dog he brought along for the interview.When he was asked what the name of the dog was…and of course the reporter meant the offending pit bull…and he answered “which dog”? hoping the lap dog smoke screen was working it’s charm. The reporter exclaimed..”the Pit bull who attacked the child..what his name”

The owner answered “ohhh hmmmm habada habada ” hilarious

nothing against this unregistered breed but the more progressive cities banned these dogs over a decade ago…I’m just saying……

1. sheriff says:

Of course it was all staged. These Coons & their King Coon lawyers are actors.

2. whatnow says:

I saw that guy, I think he should be put down instead of the dog, what a waste of oxygen!

1. sabrina lumpkin says:

Thats what you call a irresponsible dog owner. And of course the breed get the blame for the idiot that raised him. If our cities would make more laws to help protect our aniemals period. Do you realy think these are the only dogs that attack are we going to ban all aniemals. Im sorry I have to disagree. People should be liable if their aniemal attacks someone!

11. sabrina lumpkin says:

I hate these stories because it always make the pitbull look very bad when that is always not the case. I do feel sorry for the family and feel they are right for compisation not that it will help their son because now hell probaley be scared of dogs for the rest of his life. I feel if you own a dog that is visious you are resonsible for their actions if you can not be a responsible owner then you shouldnt own a pitbull! It is not the breed its the sorry owners! I have owned these dogs my whole life and so have other family memebers and our dogs have never attacked anyone and they are around 5 children all the time. ranging from 2-14. i wish the bot and his family the best.

1. sheriff says:

Sabrina, There’s an old saying: If you sleep with the dogs, you will get fleas. Now go to sleep.

12. marian says:

the owner are responsible. i knew of a family that had dobermans. these dogs were so gentle and were thought not to be dangerous. after the dogs were a certain age they became vicious. they attacked and almost killed their owner right in front of a bunch of neighbors. why? one was barking at nothing and he went to correct the animal and it attacked. the others just joined in. over 10 people who had known these dogs for years could not believe it and had a hard time getting the dogs off the man. i was 14 or 15 at the time and have been afraid of dobermans since that time. it took the owner over a year to recover. what happened to the dogs? he had all 3 put down and never owned another dog.

13. Stacey V-AwarenessHelps Citraro says:

PUNISH THE DEED, NOT THE BREED!!! THE OWNER IS TO BLAME!!!! THIS IS EXACTLY WHY BSL EXISTS AND IT IS WRONG AND AN ATROCITY!!! ANY DOG, AND I MEAN ANY DOG CAN BE TRAINED TO BE VICIOUS —— IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE ENVIRONMENT THE ANIMAL IS RAISED IN AND THE TREATMENT TOWARDS THE ANIMAL. YES I AM YELLING BECAUSE I AM SICK AND TIRED OF THIS FRIGGIN BS!!!!! |||| http://www.ruaware.co.nr

1. sheriff says:

Stacey, Go kill yourself….Even Stevie Wonder can see you’re stupid.

2. Sam says:

Yeah, all dogs can be trained to be vicious. Some breeds are just far more easy to make mean. I’ve seen too many stories like this, anybody that doesn’t by now realize these dogs are ticking time bombs is an idiot with their head in their nether regions. The boys father should have shot the dog.

There’s a reason drug dealers and hoodlum thugs love them so much. They’re mean dogs.

14. Stanley says:

Its is not the dogs fault. First mistake was that the dog was able to get under the fence. So if the guy is the owner. He needs to starft apologizing and be ready for the punishment if he raised a vicious dog. I have had pitbulls every since I was born all breeds of them and not one has turned on me bitten anyone. They have all been protective of my family and I but able to heel on command. I need for u all that think pit bulls are bad to do ur research on all dog bite stats and see who is number one. Guess what? Its not a pit bull. Pit bulls are only lucky enough to get the tv time.