Thousands Expected At Highlandtown Wine Festival

BALTIMORE (WJZ) — It started off eight years ago with just a few dozen people.  Now it’s one of Baltimore’s hottest tickets of the spring.

If you like wine, Ron Matz reports it’s time to raise a glass at Sunday’s Highlandtown Wine Festival.

Jon Petrelli grew up in the shadows of Our Lady of Pompeii and the white marble steps. He’s dedicated his new CD and his song “Highlandtown” to friends and family.

“I was baptized at Our Lady of Pompeii. I was an altar boy here. My mom and dad were married here. I grew up just a couple of blocks down the street. I went to Our Lady of Pompeii Elementary School, this is all I know, this is my roots. There will be people at the festival I haven’t seen in 30 years,” said Petrelli. “I moved away from Baltimore to Florida and I was on Facebook and all these stories about growing up here inspired me to write a song about Highlandtown. I dedicated my new CD to Highlandtown and my friends and family.”

The Highlandtown Wine Festival is Sunday and Petrelli will join about a thousand of his friends for all the fun. It will be a chance to taste some great homemade wines.

“Eight years ago we started out with Don Schiavone and a couple of other guys. Everybody makes homemade wine in Highlandtown, so we came up with the idea to bring other people to enjoy some of the homemade wines. Every year it’s growing bigger and bigger. If you’ve never experienced drinking homemade wine made the old-fashioned way this is the place to be. If you love wine, love good people and fun, come Sunday 1 til 6 p.m. and enjoy the crowd and the people,” said Dominic Petrucci, festival co-founder. “We’ll have more stations this year, so people don’t have to wait in line. More stations to taste wine. We also have indoor bocce ball, we have teams coming from as far as Pennsylvania and Delaware to try and compete with Baltimore, but we’re going to beat them.”

Wine is center stage, but this is a family friendly event.

“This is our number one fundraiser for the year. We all come out and have fun. We volunteer to set it all up. It also funds all of our programs for the year,” said Kevin Bernhard, Highlandtown Community Association. “In the past seven years we’ve raised about $20,000 for the community. We’re expecting about a thousand people on Sunday. It’s a family friendly event. We’ll have face painting, a balloon sculptor, live music, fun, food and all kinds of great stuff.”

The festival benefits the Highlandtown Community Association. The Highlandtown Wine Festival is held at Conkling and Claremont Streets. Tickets are $20 in advance and $25 at the door. For more information, click here.

More from Ron Matz
Comments

1. SILLYMAN MICHAELS says:

TIME FOR THE WINO’S TO ENJOY

2. Doug says:

Have a drink
    have a drive
    go out and see what you can find…….

3. Paul says:

Sounds a blast!
    Enjoy, but drink sensibly, eh??
    If here in the UK, give Great Wines Direct a look…

4. PAUL E. MICELLI says:

I FOUND OUT ABOUT THIS FROM MR. DOMENICO PARRAVANO WHO MAKES HIS OWN WINE. I JUST BOUGHT TWO TICKETS AND CAN’T WAIT FOR TH FUN TO BEGIN. THIS IS A FAMILY FRIENDLY EVENT AND I HEARD THAT THEY WILL HAVE A CHILDREN’S MINI ZOO WITH GOATS, RABBITS , ETC. A BOCCI BALL EVENT IS ALSO PLANNED. PACK UP THE CHILDREN AND HEAD OVER FOR THIS FUN FILLED EVENT IN HIGHLANDTOWN!! SEE YOU THERE.

1. DOCSRUS says:

Wow bunnys and horsies and drugs all at the same time! I cant wait to take little susie to teach her how grown ups behave.

5. STINKY_WINE _DRINKER says:

Wine can be used:
    1 – as a prelude to simple assault
    2 – as a prelude to murder
    3 – as a prelude to a drunk driving accident
    4 – to induce vomiting
    5 – as a breath freshener
    6 – to enhance divorce rates
    7 – to increase the need for more police and higher tax rates for all
    8 – to keep dialysis machine mfgs busy
    9 – to increase damage caused to taxpayer owned property such as guardrails, fire hydrants, etc.

6. E.R. says:

So is the HighlandTown Association providing shuttles and taxis for all of the drunks after the event? Or will they just be sent on there way to kill and maim some innocent family coming home from a late night Disney show?

7. sheriff says:

3, 6, 9. The Goose drank wine. Sounds like a reason to have a block party of lower class people with Thunderbird wine as the featured drink. I could see this going over in Roland Park or Ruxton but Highlandtown???, Please, they’ll be chugging from the bottle.

8. PAUL E. MICELLI says:

I WILL BE ATTENDING MASS AT OUR LADY OF POMPEI ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH PRIOR TO THE HIGHLANDTOWN WINE FESTIVAL WHICH IS BEING HELD IN THE SCHOOL YARD. I WILL PRAY TO GOD THAT THERE ARE PEOPLE THAT HAVE NO FAITH IN GOD OR MANKIND. I WILL ASK FOR THEIR FORGIVENESS AND HOPE FOR THEIR REDEMPTION, GOD IS ALL GOOD GOOD AND HOPEFULLY MY PRAYERS WILL BE ANSWERED.

1. williejoe says:

Paul E. Micelli, You’re going to pray @ a church that was named after essentially a Sodom & Gomorrah? Yeah sure & watch your back for the rolling lava that should level that s…..t hole neighborhood.

1. Tom Moscato says:

To Williejoe

Educate yourself, the church is named after a confirmed visitation from the Blessed Mother to the modern city of Pompei Italy–Sodom and Gomorrak!!! Wow did you show your ignorance, you belong right up there with E.R. and Sheriff.

9. Doug says:

Page me when they hold a pot festival

1. Rev. John says:

That makes two of us. Now if we can get another 999,998 to join us we can invade the mall in DC.

10. 21224 4 Liife says:

Blah Blah Blah to all the BS and hotair above! Cheers to the best neighborhood in Baltimore that raised the best folks!!! Gotta be doing something right to bring out the haters! Cant wait to see old friends and new 2morrow!

11. Deanna says:

I’m with Paul! Praying for the sad folks who embrace negativity and spit nothing but hate and anger. They obviously weren’t raised in Highlandtown because they would know about fellowship, love and community.

12. sheriff says:

Pompei, I understand the hot selling item will be Lava rocks. Shipped in from the city that was destroyed because of sin.