Immigrant In-State Tuition Opponents Garner Online Support

ANNAPOLIS, Md. (WJZ)—Voters on the download. Organizers of a drive to put immigrant tuition on next year’s ballot say the Internet may put them over the top.

Political reporter Pat Warren reports Marylanders are still divided over letting undocumented students pay cheaper, in-state tuition rates.

Pleas by immigrant advocates persuaded the General Assembly this year to allow people who cannot prove citizenship to attend college at the same rates Maryland residents pay.

But opponents of the idea put a petition for referendum on a website, and they think it’s paying off.

“I don’t know the exact number, but it grows every day,” said Pat McDonough, Maryland House of Delegates. “It’s not a law. It’s not going backwards. It’s not slowing down. It’s getting bigger.”

Petition drives to put issues on the ballot generally fail in Maryland, but organizers believe this one is different.

“When we did early voting petitions people would say ‘Well, what’s wrong with early voting? That’s not a bad thing’ and others would say ‘Yeah, I don’t like that.’ But this is different. Nobody says ‘Illegals should get our money.’ Nobody says that,” one person said.

WJZ found varying opinions at the Baltimore County Community College in Essex when asked if the children of illegal immigrants should pay in-state tuition.

“They should,” said Hakeim Abukhdiar. “I mean, they’re here now. You can’t do anything about it. If you’re going to deport them, deport them. But how do you know they’re not going to come back? So what’s the difference?”

“If they’re not legal residents of Maryland, I would say I guess if someone has to pay out-of-state tuition they should pay out-of-state,” said Laura Ferandes.

“I don’t know,” said Deborah Smith. “Everybody should have a chance to be educated.”

The first batch of signatures is due at the end of this month. More than 18,000 signatures are required in that first batch to keep the drive going.

More from Pat Warren
Comments

1. edward wasilewski says:

let them pay out of stste tuition because they are not us citizens.. We pay taxes
    and they should not get any of our tax money. I say send them back to there own country.

2. mary wasilewski says:

send them back to their own country.

3. Ernst Tschopp says:

Illegal; what’s that?

4. david says:

Where do you send your signed petition after it’s downloaded, Anybody know?

1. Fed Up says:

You should send it to your Board of Elections in your County. Double check that on the website though. There are specific instructions that if are not adhered to, they entire petition will be disregarded. I’ve collected over 90 signatures myself!

5. Jonathan Chiles says:

For those who don’t agree with this proposed law, back up your comments with actions!!! Go to http://www.mdpetitions.com/ and fill out the Petition. It takes five mins of your time and a stamp.
    All your life you pay into the system, why should someone who goes around it be allowed the same benefits. Our Representatives and Delegates have failed to vote on what the people want, so please remember this moment when voting season is upon us! Thank you.

6. Mike says:

“Divided” Yea Probably 90% against in state for illegals and 10% for it.Use the facts.If allowed to take effect this would be bad for Maryland. Stop giving handouts we don’t have.

7. Kritikal says:

I don’t believe any legal state resident would support this measure if they went to the University System of Maryland web site and read the requirements currently on the books to qualify for in-state tuition. Even US citizens and citizen members of the US military have to jump through major hoops to get in state tuition. How many people realize that the system does not have open enrollment? There’s a quota to balance the number of in state and out of state students. For every illegal that gets in under this new law, a legal resident is denied that slot.

8. PAUL E. MICELLI says:

REMEMBER ELECTION TIME. . . .VOTE ALL THE BUMS OUT. . . .TIME FOR SOME REAL PEOPLE WHO LISTEN TO THE WILL OF THE PEOPLE TO GET ELECTED. . . TIME TO CLEAN HOUSE. . . .THIS SHOULD NEVER. .NEVER…NEVER HAPPEN TO THE TAXPAYING CITIZENS OF THIS GREAT STATE (ALTHOUGH I AM STARTING TO HAVE MYDOUBTSLOOKING LIKE A GOOD TIME TO MOVE OUT OF THIS STATE AND LET THE ILLEGAL ALIENS TAKE OVER. . . SEEMS LIKE THAT’S WHAT THE SO CALLED ELECTED REPRESENTATIVES WANT…GUARANTEED LIFE TIME RE ELECTION BY ILLEGAL ALIENS… ONLY IN AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Fed Up says:

The State of Maryland already uses $1.5 million per year on benefits and services for Illegals. How the hell much more do we have to give them!? We owe them NOTHING but a bus ride back to where they came from.

During next election, Victor Ramirez needs to be one of the first to be voted out! He’s one of the ones who starts this mess to begin with!

10. Tanya says:

I am so sick of illegals getting everything handed to them and I as a single mom, full time employee and college student can’t get a break. Maryland is flooded with them because of all the perks. This is not right!!

11. david says:

Hey folks, AAA of Md is providing free subsidized rides for all Hispanics legal & illegal that drink too much today (Cinco De Mayo). Nice to see a portion of your premium is going to pay for these people. Where were they on St.Patty’s day, Italian day, Polish & German day? Let them obey the same laws as the rest of us for public drunkenness. Oh, My previous post as Sheriff was deleted by WJZ.

12. GAMMEE07 says:

ILLEGAL IS ILLEGAL THEY ALL NEED TO BE DEPORTED NOT REWARDED !!!!!!!!!!

13. Robin says:

My child was born and raised in Maryland part of the United States, like I was and my parents, grandparents and great-grandparent. But if he wants to go college outside of MARYLAND we have to pay the higher price for being from a different state of the United States. But you want to give someone from a different Country what the children of the U.S. don,t get. I think we need to help our children first before others, No one else is going to help our children.

14. Charles says:

Illegals along with other entitlement groups have put a strain on health care and social services in this Country. Our economy is eroding more and more everyday. These groups are the most spoiled and pampered in the history of this nation.

15. JP FromCatonsville says:

all part of democrats plan to bankrupt us so that they can have us elect a welfare state year after year. democrats are racists and want to keep the blacks poor and in the cities and everyone else taxes until they can’t afford to do anything more than eat, sleep, and pay taxes. vote independent for once.

-jefferson parker

16. candace says:

I am currently enrolled at UMUC pursuing a Masters in Accounting. I pay my tuition with NO assistance from the government because I, according to them, make too much money. The one year I qualified for assistance I didn’t receive it because the funds were tapped out likely due to all of the minority support programs that are funded first. It angers me that while I struggle to afford my education there are people who are not even citizens of this country being handed money to get an education. If you want to benefit from all the US has to offer then become a citizen. If you are here illegally the only thing you should get is a ride home in a cargo plane. I don’t see how being in the country illegally is any different than breaking any other law. Time for the government to buck up and send these leeches back to where they came from!

17. William Bauer says:

How do you get a download copy of the petition ????????? Every time I try it takes me tSprint Offical Site advertisements .Is Bob Eriich behind this?? This is something he would do!!!!!!! How do I sign The Peetition “State tution for ILLEGAL immigrants” I can’t get it to download????