Local

Clothes Dryer Blamed For Md. House Explosion

View Comments
ROCKVILLE fire destroys home

ROCKVILLE, Md. (AP) — Authorities say an improperly installed clothes dryer caused an explosion that destroyed a Rockville area home and seriously injured two people.

Montgomery County fire officials blamed the early Wednesday morning blast on the male occupant’s attempt to replace a gas-powered dryer with an electric model. Officials say something the man did allowed gas to seep into the home, and when the gas hit a spark the home exploded.

Authorities say the man and a woman were taken to hospital with serious injuries.

Wednesday’s explosion is the second in the Washington area in recent days. On Monday, a Dumfries home was leveled by a similar blast which Prince William County officials preliminarily blamed on a gas leak. The exact cause of that explosion is still under investigation.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 3,424 other followers