CO Poisoning To Blame For Couple’s Death

HAMPSTEAD, Md. (WJZ) — There’s heartbreak in Hampstead where two people were found dead in their home. 

Andrea Fujii explains a silent killer may be to blame.

Firefighters say carbon monoxide levels inside the house were more than 80 times what’s considered safe.

The Keyser family home sits just off of Lang Road in Hampstead, home to longtime residents Lewis Keyser, 81, and his wife, Betty, 84.  Police say Saturday night a relative who came to check on the couple opened their door,  observed a haze and called 911.  Responding firefighters found the victims already dead in the basement.  Carbon monoxide readings inside detected deadly levels.

“The fire trucks and the ambulance came.  We didn’t know exactly what was going on and we didn’t through the night until this morning when we found out the very sad news,” said neighbors Darwin and Patty Sater.

Heartbroken neighbors say the Keysers were friendly and always concerned about others.  For years, they were known to take frequent walks around their neighborhood until their age no longer allowed it.

“They’d always stop and check on everyone, what’s going on in everyone’s lives.  Such caring people,” Sater said.

Firefighters say it appears an oil-burning furnace may be to blame.

Police say there’s no sign of foul play.  Both victims have been taken to the medical examiner’s office for autopsies.

The case is still under investigation by police in the Westminster barracks.

Comments

More From CBS Baltimore

Track Weather On The Go With Our App!
Your Podcast Network Play.it

Listen Live