CLINTON, Md. (AP) — A pungent odor that led to the relocation of some patients at a Prince George’s County hospital has been traced to propane storage tanks.
Firefighters and emergency workers responded Monday night to Southern Maryland Hospital in Clinton for reports of a foul odor in the emergency room.
Patients in the ER and waiting area were relocated to other areas of the hospital as a precaution.
Authorities quickly ruled out natural gas as the odor and ultimately determined that it came from the hospital’s propane storage tanks.
Officials believe the wind pushed the odor from the tanks in the direction of the emergency room.
County fire spokesman Mark Brady says the odor has gone away and the situation is considered safe.
(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)