ATV Rider’s Dad Disputes Police On Md. Crash

MOUNT AIRY, Md. (AP) — The father of an all-terrain vehicle rider from Mount Airy is disputing the police version of his son’s collision with a Frederick County sheriff’s cruiser.

The sheriff’s office says Christopher Hancock, 22, and two friends were illegally driving their ATVs on Old National Pike Saturday, spread across both traffic lanes.

The agency says Deputy First Class William Mosser braked and swerved to avoid hitting them and that Hancock hit his car. The young man was seriously hurt.

Keith Hancock told The Frederick News-Post on Monday that his son maintains the ATVs were traveling single file. He says Mosser swerved in front of them to make them stop.

Keith Hancock says the ATVs were using the road to reach riding trails because an off-road route was too muddy.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Comments

1. williejoe says:

Lock the Father up as well his dumb a$$ is in denial & crush the ATV’s. They serve no useful purpose except to injure & kill. I know!

2. JOJO DANCER says:

williejoe, you are still as stupid as ever.

1. cris says:

thanks man this hi!! Bi!!y is very annoying and dont know anything. police and sheriffs they all lie

1. Indago says:

No they don’t. They have nothing to gain by lying.

3. Leah C says:

If the deputy swerved to avoid hitting the ATVs, they were infront of him. Wouldn’t they be on his dashboard camera (if he had one)? The video would speak for itself.

4. JackDaniels says:

IF THEY WERE RIDING ON THE ROAD (ILLEGALLY) AND THEY WERE INJURED, IT DOESN’T MATTER HOW THEY WERE INJURED……………….IT’S THEIR FAULT!!!!!!!!!

FINE THEM AND IMPOUND THOSE ATV’S…….BETTER YET, CRUSH THEM AS WILLIEJOE SUGGESTS!!!!!

5. They were Wrong!! says:

Whether they were riding single file, side-by-side, backwards, forwards or sideways, they are ILLEGAL on the highways. GIven the old national pike isn’t the best road to even drive on with a car due to its being hilly and windy. Be glad the deputy saw them and swerved; it could have been a whole lot worse.

6. RavenLude says:

i see cris has some more insightful, intelligent, well thought out comes on this article as well. what a dumb-a.
    clearly the kid has an excuse for driving an atv illegally….his own father wont even admit that his son was wrong in any way. this is exactly why no one has any accountability for there actions anymore, in this age of entitlement we live in

7. Destiny says:

Aren’t ATVs built for off roading?? Must be different in the County!!!

8. PAUL says:

WETHER IT IS FREDERICK COUNTY AND OR ANY OTHER COUNTY IN THE STATE OF MARYLAND,THE SO CALLED LAW ENFORCEMENT ARE LIARS.WETHER THEY WERE ON THE ROAD OR NOT,WHY BE THAT CLOSE TO THEM? ANOTHER POLICE OFFICER NEEDS TO BE GIVEN THE RIOT ACT.THEY ARE ALL FOR THE MOST PART NARCISSSIST FREAKS ANY WAY.I HOPE THIS NARCISSIST DEPUTY LOOSES HIS JOB AND HAS TO DIG DITCHES FOR A LIVING.

9. michael says:

The father is an idiot!!!! His son did no wrong, it doesn’t matter that ATVs are not legal to be on the road.
    The father of this boy should also have charges filed for child neglect!!!!

1. pigeon says:

Recommend you go back and read the story. The “boy” is 22 years old – child neglect charges are out of the question.

10. jj says:

DADDY,
    YOUR SON IS A THUG AND GOT WHAT HE DESIRVED!

1. pigeon says:

Just ’cause he’s riding around on an ATV does not mean he is a “thug” as you put it. I bet you think all people who own and ride motorcycles are “thugs” also, and we know that just is not so. I do and I’m not!
      That remark is unjust unless you personally know the young man and any “criminal background” he may have.

1. JJ says:

Thats right a thug, an outstanding law obeying citizen just dosn’t ride a atv on the roadway. I myself have a motorcycle and obey and respect the laws.
        He is a thug PERIOD!

11. pigeon says:

IF the officer did what is being alleged, then he was suicidal. That is such a stupid allegation.
    Be it that the 3 were riding single file or side by side, anyway you look at it they were IN THE WRONG. ATVs do NOT belong on the roads.
    My gut feeling tells me this is just another parent who, even with a son of this age, has and will continue to go around saying ‘NOT MY CHILD, HE WOULDN’T DO ANYTHING WRONG”.
    Sorry, sir, but your son did do wrong, as did the other 2 people with him. Nonetheless, I do pray for a quick and non-complicated recovery for him.

12. Excessive Force, Officer says:

I can recall an incident that occurred in my own youth. Let me preface it, by saying that I was definitely in the wrong. I was riding a dirtbike on a back road (in a small MD town) and was chased by an officer in a patrol car. The officer used his car to force me off of the roadway. This does not surprise me, however, the tremendous risk that he took at the time does. You see, he had to cross an on-coming lane of traffic, in a blind corner, to do this. As “Murphy’s Law” would have it, a car was coming around the blind corner, and locked its brakes to avoid a head-on collision with the officer’s car. Now, I am sure that if the collision had occurred, I would have been deemed to be at fault; not the officer.
    The reason I mention this incident, is due to the officer’s decision to use his vehicle in a dangerous way, to stop a teenager on a dirtbike. In my opinion, the officer became “caught up in the moment” during the chase, and made a really poor decision, regarding the use of his vehicle.
    Let me, again, state that I was “in the wrong”. However, I can’t help but wonder if the officer in Mount Airy made the same type of decision in the heat of the moment, and it resulted in a serious injury.
    In my case, the end result was that I simply continued riding my off-road vehicle away from the officer’s car and was not injured or arrested. (I also had the sense to not do this type of thing again, fortunately.)
    Is it such a bad thing, if the officer does not apprehend a dirtbike rider? Not the best case scenerio, to be sure, but certainly not worth risking permanent injuries or death of the rider over, in my humble opinion.
    Yes, the rider in Mount Airy was in the wrong, and deserved a ticket, but was it worth it to the officer to use his vehicle as a moving barracade; seriously injuring the rider? And if so, what does that say about the officer?