Vigil Held For Teen Victim Of Accidental Shooting

BALTIMORE (WJZ)— Fatal mistake. Two families in disbelief after an 11 year old accidentally kills his friend. The teen victim is remembered, as police release details of their investigation.

Derek Valcourt spoke with the victim’s family members at an emotional vigil.

The teen was killed as his friends played with a gun inside a South Baltimore home. Police are trying to figure out if anyone will face charges in the case.

Tears and prayers flowed for 15-year-old Michael Brooks at candle light vigil just feet away from the Cherry Hill home where he was shot to death by an 11 year old playing with a handgun.

His large extended family is in grief.

“He’s a very good kid. He did not deserve this,” said Kay Horn, victim’s aunt.

His twin sister is devastated.

“I love him so much,” said Vanessa Brooks. “I can’t even explain it in words.”

Especially painful for his younger brother Jeremiah, who was there when his brother was shot in the head Saturday inside a home in the 2400 block of Seamon Avenue. The homeowner who would not be interviewed on camera says his handgun was locked inside his bedroom while his 11-year-old nephew was having a sleepover party.

He says the boys unlocked the door and took his gun, loaded it and that’s when he says his nephew accidently shot and killed Michael Brooks.

The story is too frustrating for those who loved the victim.

“It shouldn’t have happened,” said Robert Horn, the victim’s great uncle. “It should have been in a lock box if it’s their gun or whatever. Someone needs to be responsible for this.”

“It should have been out of the reach of the child,” said John Gallano, friend of the victim.

“We put this cross here to know that he is going to be remembered in this community,” said Kimberly Orellana, victim’s family friend who organized the vigil.

Friends, family and neighbors paid tribute with stuffed animals and notes left at a make-shift memorial.

Many there are hoping others can learn a lesson from Michael’s tragic death.

“Any parent out there that has a gun that ain’t locked up ought to have their head examined,” said Charles Horn, victim’s uncle.

The family needs help covering the cost of Michael’s funeral. Donations for the Michael Brooks fund can be sent to the Bailey Funeral Home on Annapolis Road in Halethorpe.

Comments

1. donato says:

Was the gun legally registered. NOT! so much for gun control

1. Bill says:

WHats that have to do with this incident …

1. Kelvin Gentry says:

Alot. If it wasn’t legally registered, the owner of the gun should be 1/2 responce
        able

2. Angel says:

Very Sad News, guns in children hands. Parents get your kids and start being parents to them!!!

3. Michael Nauton says:

HALF THE PEOPLE IN CHERRYHILL CAN’T PAY THEIR RENT BUT HAVE MONEY FOR A GUN . WHAT A SAD SAD LOSS .

1. Kelvin Gentry says:

So true

4. more problems says:

Half of the people that live in cherry hill drive big fancy cars paying $50 for rent and pay their car payment on time but their children don’t have life insurance how crazy is that may god be with this childs family and hopefully they can raise the money for his funeral how sad!

5. Crystal says:

The boy wasn’t from cherry hill. And not everyone has nice cars and can afford there wants then there needs this boy’s family needs help with the cost. Who expects to have life insurance on a kid. No one

6. Jenn says:

Micheal has a very good family wasnt his fault a gun was pulled out and he was shot and killed. hes family does their best the kids always come 1st. and life insurance on a child so full of life who would of thought bout getting it. know all the facts before running ur mouth. i bet if u have a child u dont have life insurance on them. NOW DO U!!!
    RIP Micheal Brooks 2/1/96~6/25/11
    always loved always missed and never forgotten always in our hearts baby boy

7. janet horn says:

people sit here and say why dont we have life insurance on our kids well the truth is we never throught this would happen to a kid so young. i am michael brooks cousins i have kids and i dont have life insurance on them.parents that have children should not have a gun in their house or if they do keep it locked up with a code.r.i.p michael brooks. u will be loved and missed. gone but never forgotten.i love you nike.

8. delores says:

all i have to say that its so sad that a child life was taking away so soon by a never child people if your going to have guns keep them locked away in a safe box

9. delores says:

everybody should have life insurance on there childrens no matter what because of things like this but some people dont have the money things is so tight right now they need help and where they live its not cheap because you live in cherry hill DONT MEAN YOU LIVE IN THE PROJECTS AND THAT YOUR RENT IS CHEAP AZZZZZHOLES

10. Mike says:

Parents take this tragic envent and learn from it. Teach your children to respect guns and to never view them as toys. If you have a gun in your house make sure it is secure in a safe location with a lock if. Keep your ammo in a different location unknown to children if you can. And ask Schools to teach kid’s how to react to finding a unsecure gun. The NRA has plenty of usefull material to aid in gun safety to protect our children use these tools.If you are and gunowner as I am and have children you must teach them to respect guns and the dangers they have. Sorry for your tragic loss this family has suffered, may Michael rest in peace and the family stay strong in this time of hardship.

1. JENN says:

I AGREE AND THANK U

11. delores says:

nice mike you said it all

12. Undersanding Grief says:

I very recently lost a sister at the hands of a gun. It was very unexpected and honestly, I’m still in shock that someting so horrific touched my family. The last thing this family needs to hear is people making false statements & judgments made because of where they live. Our family also has to deal with people making unnecessary comments. They need your love and support. I am very sorry for your loss. It will be a tough road ahead but once you get through the shock & anger, you will find peace in your hearts. Please take care of yourselves & each other.

13. Understanding Grief says:

People do not understand~
    There is a gigantic difference between “a death in the family” and “a family tragedy”. The people who love Michael Brooks are in pain. Why kick a family while they are suffering such a traumatic loss? It’s an old cliche but as I found out, it is so true. Until you have walked a mile in this family’s shoes, it is impossible to understand how they are feeling. Comments such as people living in Cherry Hill not paying their rent but driving nice cars & buying guns are ridiculous and hurtful.
    To the family & friends of Michael Brooks, my best advice to you is to not read the comments of people who do not know you or Michael. Surround yourself with people who love & will support you right.

1. JENN says:

SO TRUE AND THANK U

14. Sympathetic says:

I too am so very sorry for the tragedy that has fallen upon the family and friends of Michael Brooks. And I agree with the previous post. In time, you will find peace. Until then, try not to react to absurd, ridiculous comments from people who like to stereo type others. You have suffered a tremendous loss of a loved one and have enough to be angry about. Don’t let them fuel your fire. No reaction is the best reaction of all. Again, my sympathy goes out to your family.

15. jenn says:

thank u but micheal didnt live in cherry hill he lived bmore co. he was at a friends house when it happened. we all are still in shock and hurting!!!

love and miss u cuz always in our hearts

16. @ Jenn says:

I wish I could tell you it gets easier but I can’t. My sibling was killed one month ago & it still feels like yesterday. She too had no life insurance. It doesn’t matter where you live~ it’s tough just to pay your bills for everyone right now let alone pay for insurance on something you couldn’t possibly forsee. If the readers want to believe he lived in Cherry Hill then who cares?! Obviously they are illiterate. The article clearly states he was at a friends house.
    My point was not to feed into their ignorance. I learned the hard way & I wanted to spare your family of that headache. I wish there was some way I could help. Such a tragedy.

1. JENN says:

17. Kimberly Blackwell says:

they said the gun was locked up in a locked room howd the kid get in then this will b another strike against gun control that boy new better at 11 yrs old n he musta new something about guns if he loaded it himselfyour child doesnt die at the hands of a gun cause a gun cant pull its own trigger guns dont kill people people kill people i was born n bred around guns all my life so were my 2 boys we never killed anyone because we were taught not to play w/guns,there not toys and if the gun wasnt registered then yes the person who owned it should b fully responsible that kid knew better he just chose to b a little punk brat that day where were the parents wen this happened they should of been there to stop it my prayers go out to the little boys family!!!

1. JENN says:

TRUE THANK U AND WHERE WAS THE SHOOTERS PARENTS NOT 100% SURE YET

18. Sympathetic says:

I rode past the memorial spot for Michael tonight, very sad. So many stuffed animals, flowers & letters. This child was so loved. It breaks my heart that his precious life was brought to an end so soon & so tragically.
    Did the family raise the money for his services?

1. JENN says:

YES WE DID THANK U FOR ASKING SO MANY PEOPLE DONATED MONEY. PEOPLE ARE STILL DONATING MONEY TO THE FUNERAL HOME. IF PEOPLE KEEP DONATING LIKE THEY BEEN THEN NO MONEY HAS TO COME OUT OF OUR FAMILIES POCKET. THANKS SOOOOOOO MUCH TO EVERYONE WHO DONATED EVEN A PENNY EVERY PENNY HELPS AND EVERY PENNY ADDS UP. MICHAEL HAD A VERY GOOD SERVICE AND BURIAL I KNOW HE WAS PROUD OF HOW EVERYTHING TURNED OUT.

LOVE AND MISS U MICHAEL RIP LIL COUSIN

19. Kristi Whitcomb says:

I WAS SO VERY SHOCKED AND SADDENED TO HEAR OF MICHEALS DEATH YESTERDAY MY SON WENT TO SCHOOL WITH HIM AND HE HAD STAYED AT MY HOUSE ON SEVERAL OCCASIONS HE WAS THE MOST SWEETEST CHILD ID KNOWN TO PUT THE BLAME ON ANYONE OTHER THAN THE GUN OWNER IS RIDICULOUS I THINK AS PARENTS NONE OF US EVERY BELIEVE IT WILL BE OUR CHILD AND IN THESE FINANCIAL HARD TIMES RIGHT NOW SOME OF US CANT AFFORD LIFE INSURANCE I DO THINK THAT GUN SAFETY IS A GREAT THING TO TEACH SO THAT THINGS LIKE THIS DON’T HAPPEN I ALSO THINK WE SHOULD BE ASKING OUR CHILDREN WHEN THEY GO TO ANOTHER CHILD’S HOME IS DO THEY HAVE GUNS IN THEIR HOME??? SO MANY PPL DO NOW DAYS WITH ALL THE VIOLENCE THAT GOES ON BUT 22 GUNS? EVEN FOR A COLLECTOR THEY MUST BE REGISTERED AND IF NOT OR NOT PROPERLY SECURED THAN YES HE SHOULD BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE BUT THAT WONT STOP THE HURT THIS FAMILY AND FRIENDS ARE FEELING IT WONT BRING MICHAEL BACK ILL SAY IT AGAIN KIDS DON’T BELONG IN A HOME WITH GUNS AND GUNS DON’T BELONG IN A HOME AROUND CHILDREN PERIOD!!!!! MY SON IS DEVASTATED THAT HE HADN’T SEEN MICHAEL IN SEVERAL MONTHS AS HE STAYED WITH ME AND NOT HIS GRANDMOTHERS AND WASN’T ABLE TO SEE MICHAEL AND NOW HE WONT EVER BE ABLE TO
    REST EASY SWEET BOY YOU WILL BE GREATLY MISSED

20. Tonia says:

I feel so very sad for this child’s family. I often wonder how do a parent deal with the lost of a child. I had to deal with the lost of a very close relative several years ago and my family was devastated so I can only say to the family, just trust the man up above and he will guide you this terrible ordeal and pray for courage to make it through a day at a time. God will see you through, just hold on to faith. God Bless this family. You are in my prayers.

1. JENN says:

THANK U WE TRY BUT ITS STILL VERY VERY HARD TO COPE WITH

21. JEREMIAH says:

i miss my bother and i am very srry to him i didnt know hat he was going to get shot in the head