Marylanders Angry Over Proposed Toll Hikes

It’s too much. It’s not fair and it’s not right. That’s the argument from some Maryland drivers angry over plans to raise tolls across local highways.

Kelly McPherson explains hundreds of outraged drivers gave state leaders an earful.

The MDTA says this increase will help raise funds to pay off the ICC highway construction and upgrade bridges and tunnels. But drivers say they can’t afford it.

Harford and Cecil County drivers are literally singing the blues. For 35 years they’ve purchased an annual AVI decal to cross the Hatem Bridge, or route 40, to go over the Susquehanna River. It’s good for an unlimited number of trips and costs ten dollars. The MDTA wants to increase the fee to 36 dollars in October and then 72 dollars in 2013.

“My dentist is over there, we grocery shop over there. We go over there pretty often,” said one resident.

“I may take my husband to the VA five times a week sometimes,” said another woman.

“This is one community, separated by a bridge,” said an angry driver.

It’s another big turnout of angry taxpayers begging the MDTA to change the plan, which would also up the price from five dollars to six and then eight.

Crossing the Bay Bridge right now is $2.50. This plan would double the price to $5.00 then go up to $8.00 by 2013.

“These people can’t afford it. I can’t afford it,” said a tax payer.

The transportation secretary says the nine public hearings are going to impact the final increase plan which is necessary for bridge and tunnel upkeep.

“We have had some suggestions that have been made that perhaps certain classes of individuals are being hit harder than others for certain facilities. Those are the things we’re going to take into account,” she said.

Every toll in the state of Maryland is going to go up this fall. We should know the final results of what the tolls should go up to in the next few weeks.

An extra meeting was added for July 14th.

Comments

1. KottaMan says:

The Transportation Authority has gotten way too big for its britches. Lots of fat and waste can be cut instead of raising tolls.

1. overtaxed says:

Such as radio advertising for the MTA…

2. TIRED says:

i CAN UNDERSTAND THE CONCERNS OF THE PEOPLE IN HARFORD AND CECIL COUNTIES OVER THE PROPOSED INCREASE ON THE HATEM BRIDGE. THIS IS THE ONLY LINK FROM ONE COMMUNITY TO ANOTHER AND THE RESIDENTS AND BUSINESS PEOPLE IN THAT AREA USE THE BRIDGE MANY TIMES A DAY. tHE INCREASE IN THE DECAL PRICE IS UNECESSARY SINCE THAT BRIDGE HAS BEEN THERE FOR MANY YEARS AND HAS BEEN PAID FOR MANY TIMES OVER. a REASONABLE HIKE MAY BE IN ORDER TO COVER THE COST OF MAINTAINING THE BRIDGE BUT CERTAINLY NOT THE INCREASE PROPOSED.

3. bill says:

More people will use the Dam to get over. No toll and there is no way to set one up. That would take years and mega dollars to put in toll booths etc.

1. louie says:

also impossible because of the nature of that road (rte. 1) and its funding. Key west to maine with no tolls

4. Tripweaver says:

The only thing the suits in Annapolis know how to do is find new veins of tax cash to tap and find new ways to spend it. They are like nastly vampires sucking the livlihood out of my family. Here’s an idea for Annapolis that seems to evade their limited thought process: How about not spending so much money on fluff programs and feel good projects. That’s what my little family has had to do in the new anti-middle class economy. You all can do it, too.

5. Larry G Collier Jr says:

wow you folks up in cecil and harford are getting a bargin at even the newly proposed rates, the bare minimum to cross between annap and the shore is $1 per trip and you must qualify for the commuter plan to get that rate. We pay more than your sticker price just in the fee/TAX for each ezpass tranponder.

The mid shores getting ripped off.

1. Crybaby says:

How come you “folks” arent packing schools to protest these increases then? Let your voice be heard stop crying

1. overtaxed says:

Hundreds of those “folks” did two weeks ago, and Sen E.J. Pipkin lambasted O’Malley, but WJZ would not show that part. I read a more scathing article in the Star Democrat.

Stand up and fight tyrannical Annapolis!!

The Democrats must be voted out, they can and will do whatever they want to because they do not have to answer to voters. If they are “D”, they have jobs for life.

6. Had Enough of Maryland says:

Fine to increase the tolls for those non residents passing through but how about giving MD residents a break in the hike. Many have seasonal homes on the shore and wont be able to afford to go there often. Then OC will have to raise prices even worse which will prevent visitors. All I see the snowball rolling down hill and picking up speed. It is going to crash before you know it. The bleeding has got to stop. Eventually you will have no blood left to suck. Maybe the MTA should look at investing just a little to fix the cash boxes on its mass transit buses. If they were working daily to collect the fares, they would have more revenue. I am sure you are already paying a salary for someone sitting around doing nothing.

1. JJ says:

Please! “Many have seasonal homes on the sure and won’t be able to afford to go there” Please if you have a “seasonal home” you sure as heck can afford $8.00 at the bay bridge!
      YOU ALL NEED TO GROW UP AN ACCEPT THE TOLL INCREASE!!!!

1. Billiam says:

Yes, that’s a brilliant deduction! NOT! Don’t tell me what to accept and what not to accept. It has nothing to do with growing up JJ – take your Democrat friends and let your volice be heard. If you want to pay them, that’s just fine.

7. LearnToBudgetDemIdiots says:

when i grow up and get a masters degree in public policy i can learn to raise taxes too!

1. OMalleyCantThink says:

you mean fees haha

1. Jim says:

Fee’s are only a bad thing if they come from a Republican

8. Nina says:

This is why this country can’t balance a budget. We are ‘entitled’ to a bridge and a highway, but it’s ‘too much’ to pay for. Who will have the backbone to stand up and say sorry then, looks like we just can’t afford it?

9. Bill says:

I hope transparency will prevail and the taxpayers can recieve a quarterly statement on revenue collected at the tolls. This should equate to the best bridges bin the country. The workers on most road and bridge jobs are of Mexican decent. I am sure they are not recieving union scale. Citizens there is a Rat Pack in the hen house and their names are OMalley, Busch and Miller. This money will be used to subsidize the defucnt welfare programs and cheating city school systems before it over. When has there ever been a real bridge repair besides the entrance to Towson? They spread a little concrete and paint? They must remove the concrete to inspect the beams? The 41st project was a real repair in the 80’s over 83. Our toll money is paying for campaign contributions my fellow taxpayers/toll payers. Please wise up. The hearings are justifications for the goverment increase when they can say we had hearings we allowed public input? The deal was done in the back rooms of Annapolis and we were F—d again! This is no wonder why Maryland has no more fortune 500 companies?

10. FedUp says:

Maybe if O’Malley stopped giving money to illegal immigrants then he would be able to give some money to the MdTA and they wouldn’t have to raise the tolls so high for maintenance on the bridges and roads.

11. Jim says:

Maybe the Dem’s should have thought instead of raiding the transportation and trust fund over the last 15 years to pay for failed programs, democratic meetings in resort cities, and granting CASA a butt load of money. Just sayin

12. Joe Taxpayer says:

I thought the tolls/taxes collected were for the maintenance of the bridge or tunnel. It looks like the Democratic Legislature and Democratic Administration are using it to fund other non-related projects at the toll payers expense. I’d like to see the Baltimore Sun (liberal rag) do a real story on where all the tolls/taxes go. Lets see all this transparency. I drive across the Bay Bridge regulary and I can tell you that the MTA is not using the tolls/taxes for maintenance, it looks pitiful.

13. Robert Long says:

See the one and only reason they need to raise toll’s is because of the stupid ICC. They wasted all that money to build it. And it’s not even being used. They wasted over 3 billion to build it. And now they cant even get people to use it because they have to pay to use it. And people rather just drive a little extra to avoid having to pay more in toll’s then it cost in gas to use it. So they will raise the toll’s. How about they sell that stupid ICC and turn it into a parking lot or what ever.. O’mally’s fault again if you ask me.

14. bmoregyrl says:

I use the tunnel everyday and once it goes up I will not be using it at all. To go to OC I will be going around it as well. I am tired of my money going back to the state and I can’t hardly put food on my table because the state can’t balance anything. I have to balance my money. I am just so tired of this sh..

1. JJ says:

thats dumb, so you are going to drive 100 miles out of your way to beat a toll at the bay bridge! THATS REAL SMART!!!

1. bmoregyrl says:

Yup I will do that and I have driven that way before and I really like it so I will drive an little extra. Its a point that we shouldn’t have to pay all that money to go over a damn bridge.

15. Debbie says:

Until you use your vote to oust these politicians who use the funds inappropriately and then need to replenish them at out expense they will continue to spend like fools. Instead of looking for ways to cut waste, top heavy administrations and spending they are all looking for more and more ways to drain our pockets. Show your displeasure with your VOTE.

16. PAUL E. MICELLI says:

E-MAIL YOUR ELECTED REPRESENTATIVES WHO OK’D THIS BILL. REMEMBER ALL THESE “GOOD TIME” WE ARE HAVING NOW!! REMEMBER ELECTION TOWN HALL MEETINGS. GOOD SUBJECT TO BRING AT SAID MEETINGS. GO TAX THE “ILLEGAL ALIENS” WHO MAKE IT SO THAT THE GOVERNMENT COFFERS ARE RUNNING LOW SO THEY CAN RAISE ANYTHING THEY WANT. WE THE TAXPAYERS ARE THE ONLY ONE’S SUFFERING. GET THE FAT CATS OUT OF OFFICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Shhhhhh says:

alright, Paul, jeez… use your indoor voice. when you shout everything you have to say, you lose credibiity…just a suggestion.

17. Billiam says:

So this money is supposed to go to cover the ICC construction costs (at least a part of it)? Then hike the fee for those who use the ICC; it was a stupid idea in the first place. Don’t penalize the people in Baltimore, Harford, Cecil and those on the Shore for a stupid project that will never pay for itself. There is no reason why the Harbor Tunnel, Key Bridge and Bay Bridge have to have their fees increased by over 100% (and more) in the next two years!

18. bmoregyrl says:

I voted and I feel that it was in vain because OMalley is still in office. Remember a fee is a tax well OMalley you are so right. I know that you can not be elected again and thank god for that but as of right now we have to suffer because of your dumb a.. My money is already stretched and I am working two jobs and still having a problem with everything. I will find ways to save money and not take the tolls and I can not afford to pay a $1.80 a day on my eazy pass that is why I have the pass now so I can save money. This is bull and everyone knows it.

19. Gayle Johnson says:

It dosen’t matter if they hold public hearings this is a done deal. Tolls are going up. Everybody wants more of the money that I am not making. Hey, Maryland where are you going to put of us homeless people?

20. looking back... says:

Didn’t Mr. O leave Sheila Dixon in charge of Baltimore City when he scootched off to the governor’s mansion? hm.

1. TEFLON LEPRECHAUN says:

I didn’t know she was a thief, I thought she was like me…oh wait…

21. JJ says:

MOVE MOVE MOVE MOVE! Thank you these bridges and tunnels were here longer than most of you and YOU ALL KNEW that the tolls were there and subject to go up. IF YOU DON”T LIKE IT MOVE! And all of your politicians you think are your “friends” and are fighting and going to sue the state! WHAT A JOKE! And the AVI Stickes, you can thank everybody that ABUSED then over the years, THATS RIGHT ABUSED THEM!
    SUCK IT UP, YOUR GOING TO PAY, AND KISS THE AVI DECAL GOODBYE AND GET AN EZPASS!!!!

1. Billiam says:

In two words, JJ, shut up. I remember when the Harbor Tunnel was $0.50 so put it in your hat. The bottom line is yes, the tolls can go up but not by hundreds of percents and not to replace money that was taken from the transportation fund to take care of pork projects years ago. I don’t mind paying my fair share, but I won’t pay it for what it is not intended for – bite me.

2. overtaxed says:

Geuss what, JJ? NO ONE WANTS TO MOVE HERE! GOod luck selling your houses (I know I wish I could).

Abusing AVI stickers has caused MTA to DOUBLE OR TRIPLE TOLLS??? More like your good buddy Democrats in Annapolis stealing the money.

Another liberal with head in rear end

3. JJ says:

You hit the nail on the head “the tolls can go up” Guess what its the MdTA’s road and not State Highway Admins road so guess what the MdTA can make the toll what ever they please and you can’t do a thing about it PERIOD!
      Enjoy!

22. JJ says:

GUESS WHAT, I DON’T CARE, I DON’T USE THE TOLL ROADS, SO I DON’T CARE!!!!!! THEY CAN MAKE THE TOLLS AS MUCH AS THEY WANT, IT DOES NOT MATTER ME! SUCKS TO BE YOU!

23. hayabusa boy biker says:

I got my license plate mounted up under the fender of my custom hayabusa for better aero dynamics! Many of us sport biker have our tags mounted up under the fender for better aer dynamics. I guess I am going to try going thru the EZPass Lane and they will just get a picture of my bike. Thats one way that I guess I can get them back and save some money!

24. Laurel says:

I think the folks in Cecil/Hartford county are truly getting a steal, if it anyplace that really needs an increase it is for those folks in those Counties…come on folks $10 for a year unlimited trips??????????? The other tolls are getting ripped off. No one else in the state gets a discount for living near any other tunnels why should they.

25. Max says:

How come MTA employees don’t have to pay the toll? Even their personal cars are exempt. No more perks!

1. Jason says:

Everyone who goes through a toll lane pays, MTA employee’s, contractors working on the bridge, the president, toll booth Willy. At least at the Bay Bridge, I don’t know how it works at other facilities.