Leslie Johnson Resigns Prince George’s County Council Seat

WASHINGTON (WJZ) — Caught hiding thousands of dollars in bribes in her bra, Leslie Johnson stepped down from her position on the Prince George’s County Council Tuesday.

Denise Koch reports it’s a job she got just days before her arrest in a federal corruption probe involving her husband.

Less than a week after vowing to remain in office, Leslie Johnson handed in her resignation Tuesday.

She issued a statement which said, in part, “My resignation is important for the constituents of District 6 so that the district can be in the best possible position to continue to move forward.  I again apologize for my mistake.”

Fellow council members had been pressuring her to step down after she pled guilty last week to destroying evidence in a federal corruption probe involving her husband, former County Executive Jack Johnson.

Leslie Johnson admitted to destroying a $100,000 check from a developer to her husband and hiding nearly $80,000 in her underwear as the FBI raided her home.

“I made a mistake for which today I accepted responsibility for my conduct,” Johnson said.

Johnson’s husband also admitted his role in shaking down wealthy developers and lining his own pockets with the cash.  He faces more than a decade in prison.

Leslie Johnson could serve a year behind bars.

Johnson’s resignation is effective July 31.  Council members voted to take away her office staff, as well as the use of her county car and cell phone.

More from Denise Koch
Comments

1. james says:

What is amazing it took a week of ridicule before it was decided she was going to the right thing . No wonder people have lost faith in politicians

1. Kay says:

It took her this long because she still wanted to collect a paycheck, notice the day she is leaving!!! And she keeps saying she made a MISTAKE…that’s BULL. When you are getting that kinda cash illegally you know EXACTLY what you are doing. Wonder how much cash she stashed away in someone else’s name or hidden in another location. I was married once and I always kept a nice piece of change hidden away from him. Momma always said never let your right hand know what the left is doing!!!!

2. Geri says:

Not all politicians can be bought or sold; get rid of the bad apples and let’s move on. There is too much work to be done in our state and nation, and, we cannot afford to let people such as the Johnson’s to bring any type of progress that’s made to a halt. Can they be rehabilitated? Yes they can, but, they should not be allowed to hold any type of position of trust.

3. Political Thieves says:

Put the lowlife in a cell with Big Bertha.

4. Debbie says:

She should have resigned IMMEDIATELY not July 31st. To pay her or allow her to continue to represent the people when she is a CROOK is wrong. They should lock her out or ignore her.
    Another fine member of the “Sheila Dixon” political method.

5. check it out says:

I savour, result in I discovered just what I used to be taking a look for. You’ve ended my 4 day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye