BALTIMORE (WJZ) — More than a dozen people have fallen ill at the Ronald McDonald House in downtown Baltimore. 

Andrea Fujii has more.

Over the past 12 hours, at least a dozen people — including at least three children — have reported feeling nauseous at the Ronald McDonald House. They’ve been taken to area hospitals.

“We had brought in fire units to check for possible CO leaks and things of that nature.  All of these things have been ruled out at this time,” said Capt. Roman Clark, City Fire Department.

The Ronald McDonald House provides shelter to seriously ill children and their families who may be in town to see doctors.

The first illnesses were reported around 8:30 p.m. Wednesday, shortly after dinner, sparking speculation that food poisoning could be to blame.

“There was dinner being served.  However, it was a variety of things being served, so we can’t say they were all eating the same thing at this point,” said Clark.

Overnight, an adult called for an ambulance after feeling ill.  The fire dispatcher told paramedics it appeared to be a case of food poisoning.

According to the Ronald McDonald website, volunteers serve food at the Ronald McDonald House out of two kitchens.  There are 36 guest bedrooms inside.

“The Ronald McDonald House is working very hard to work along with local authorities to see what the problem was at this time,” said Clark.

Fire officials are awaiting test results from the hospital.

The Ronald McDonald House is staffed around the clock by both volunteers and paid employees.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Watch & Listen LIVE