Popular Baltimore Radio Station Returns

BALTIMORE (WJZ) — The Smashing Pumpkins’ hit song “Today” brought smiles to the faces of alternative music lovers throughout Baltimore Monday.  The song marked the revival of HFS Radio.

Jessica Kartalija explains.

It’s a blast from radio past.

“It’s exciting to be back, actually,” said radio DJ Tim Virgin.

“Well, here we are.  Two maybe familiar faces, we hope.  Gina Crash and Tim Virgin from WHFS,” Crash said.

Now CBS Radio is reviving the format.

“You are going to hear the stuff you love from the past years and you’re going to hear, as always, new stuff,” Virgin said.

The same music vibe and DJs who made the station a powerhouse in the 1990s hit the airwaves again Monday at noon.

The station may be best known for its stadium-sized HFStival concerts.

“It was the radio station back in its day.  A lot of these bands got started here and so when you think of all of the alternative medicine, HFS is on top of the list,” said Vice President of Programming Dave Labrozzi.

Virgin, Crash and Neci will anchor their shows.

You can hear HFS on 97.5 and WWMX 106.5 HD2.  Both are broadcast out of CBS Radio in Baltimore.  You can also listen online here.

Loveline with Mike and Dr. Drew will also air weeknights at 10 p.m.

More from Jessica Kartalija
Comments

1. Denise Crockett says:

I dated a DJ from HFS ! His name was Hank!

2. JackDaniels says:

FYI……………IT WAS A GOOD STATION WHEN IT WAS IN BETHESDA AND LANHAM……………..WHEN IT BECAME A BALTIMORE STATION IT STARTED IT’S DOWNWARD SPIRAL………….THEY NEED TO MAKE IT LIKE IT WAS IN THE LATE 80’S/EARLY 90’S!!!!!!!!

3. Nick Pirce says:

I am so glad WHFS has returned

4. JJ says:

All the drugies and stoners got somthing to listen to again. All HFestival is a just one big pot smoking event. Enjoy!

1. Tom says:

Be quiet JJ. Can’t you be positive about anything? Go listen to your 98 rock garbage.

1. JJ says:

Dude man, just go to an hfestival, all the pot, crack, and acid! Just look at eveybody either stoned or high as a cloud! 93.1 Wpoc is just fine for me! Thanks Tom!

5. ex medic says:

JJ, I listen to both stations and types ofmusic played on each one. And looking at me you’d never guess it. Mellow out man! Music is made to sooth the soul, not rile it up…

6. Jason Robinson says:

I am thrilled about this! I remember listening to it one night and then the next day it was gone and I found out why. Granted, it started broadcasting on 105.7 @ 7:00pm(?) Now it is back, but I have to agree with JackDaniels because I loved it in the early 90’s and the beginning of the 2000s, but @ one point they changed the format and began to play non-alternative music and I was disappointed and surprised. I just hope that they play what they played in the late 80’s and early to late 1990’s more often.

7. Classic Rock says:

Wcvt in Towson back in the 80’s was a cool station too!!!!!!