Video Of Baltimore Police Shooting Released

BALTIMORE (WJZ)–New reaction to the explosive video of a city police officer being shot by fellow officers. A city crime camera captured the chaos outside the west Baltimore nightclub where Officer William Torbit was killed. His sister watches the video for the first time at WJZ.

Mary Bubala reports.

The crime camera captures a chaotic scene and the death of an officer.

“That just don’t sit right with me,” said Sherri Torbit, as she watches the video for the first time.

Sherri Torbit is sister to slain Officer Torbit, and she’s disturbed by what she sees. The video shows her brother –on duty, but in plain clothes– arguing with a group of men and women as he responds to a distress call from another officer working security at the Select Lounge.

Officer Torbit gets punched in the face, and what follows is a tragic set of events.

Police say Officer Torbit fires his gun after getting knocked to the ground. You see people scatter. A man involved in the fight, Sean Gamble, is shot and killed by one of his bullets.

To the right of the screen is another officer –unaware Torbit was a cop – who fires at him on the ground. Three other officers join in, shooting Torbit some 20 times.

“How can you gun down somebody that many times,” Sherri Torbit said. “You know where to shoot to make a person stop. That’s close range to me. How could you not know that that was your fellow officer? I could see if it was at a distance shooting, but you’re right up on him.”

City State’s Attorney Greg Bernstein announced he will not bring criminal charges against the officers after analyzing the video from the city crime camera and reviewing testimony from more than 100 witnesses on the scene that night.

Officer Torbit’s family is extremely disappointed and angry with that decision.

On Thursday, we showed the video to attorney Byron Warnken to get his take on Bernstein’s decision.

“We don’t want to go out there with nothing but guesses, nothing but holes,” Warnken said. “There are some holes, but they mostly get filled in if you’ve got some objective information. I would say the video is the objective information.”

The mayor has ordered an independent panel to investigate the shooting. That panel is reviewing police practices involving crowd control and firearms training for officers.

More from Mary Bubala
Comments

1. Owings Mills says:

See, I’ve been saying all along, and now this confirms that Torbit caused his own death. These police officers that shot him are not criminally responsible. However, those of you who hate police will continue to believe what you want to believe despite the video evidence. Ms. Torbit, I didn’t hear anywhere in your interview you take responsibility for your brother killing Sean Gamble because Sean was kicking his ass. Sean didn’t deserve to be shot by your brother either. Responsibility goes both ways, and your brother messed up which ended up costing him his life.

1. PERRY HALL says:

GOD BLESS U LOVED ONE FOR U KNOW NOT WHAT U SAY AND DO..INSTEAD OF SENDING YOUR LOVE TO BOTH OF THE FAMILYS.YOU TAKE IT PERSONAL.U REALLY NEED TO EVALUATE YOUR HEART AND I MEAN REAL QUICK.CAUSE LIFE AND DEATH IS IN THE POWER OF YOUR TONGUE.I’LL BE PRAYING FOR U MY CHILD.

2. j says:

The FBI and DEA fabricate evidence, steal from suspects and use murder to close their bad cases.

The stealing by corrupt DEA employees is likely to become much worse through 2012 as the U.S. economy contracts

3. Amusement Parks says:

I watched the video footage and too me I’m wondering if those other officers really knew he was undercover. I hope for those beside or behind him know. I could see that one cop shooting him as he lay on the ground. Why that was is beyond me. If he would have gotten up and there was no other means of knowing he was a fellow officer then I could see. I have been saying this for years that when cops are undercover moon lighting or what ever you want to call it to be known by all officers in that district. With that crowd and the street not being as bright I feel it was not the fault of those officers. When shots are fired inside if a crowd what do you think will happen even if it was a thug knucklehead. I think the officer should have never allowed him self to be caught in that crowd. Things can happen very quickly on the streets and you really have to think fast with situations like this one. All other video footage is after the fact I’m sure once all the gun firing happened. I have family who are officers and I have always told them if you moon light make sure your district knows what your wearing and who you are….period. I don’t think that officer should have fired on him once he was on the ground.

4. SPC. Safran, US Army says:

I understand why they took action, and that he was dressed as a civilian, but seriously 20 times! it took shooting him 20 times while he was on the ground, arent police supposed to be somewhat marksmen, are they not trained on there weapon. IDK maybe its just me but i think 20 times and three officers firing is a little excessive, maybe im just not getting the whole story. Why did it take three trained professionals 20 some rounds to take out one individual threat. I am not trying to be insensitive but maybe these officers need some range time.

5. Brian says:

Another fine example of Baltimore City’s finest. Torbit gets punched and starts shooting? Mistake #1. Then he gets gunned down by other idiot thugs wearing BCPD badges. I’m not surprised.