WATCH WJZ @ NOON TODAY | The Army-Navy rivalry comes to Baltimore. WJZ has live pre-game ceremonies and the game | Who Will Win? | Army-Navy 2016

3 Dead In Crash On BW Parkway In Prince George’s County

BELTSVILLE, Md. (AP) — Three people, including a 3-month-old baby, died when their car drove off the Baltimore-Washington Parkway early Saturday and struck a tree

The accident occurred around 2:30 a.m. Saturday on a stretch of the four-lane parkway in Beltsville. An adult, a teenager and a baby all died. Several other passengers were ejected from the car and were taken to the hospital.

Prince George’s County fire officials told The Washington Post that some occupants had just landed at BWI airport after a vacation outside the country.

The U.S. Park Police is investigating.

The Post reports that the deaths were among eight auto fatalities Friday and Saturday, including two juveniles found dead in a Mercedes-Benz that lost control in Southeast Washington and caught fire; a 25-year-old motorcyclist who died after his 2006 Yamaha R1 left Route 5 in St. Mary’s County, skidded 170 feet and struck a utility pole; and two people found dead in a car that struck a tree and caught fire in the Cloverly section of Silver Spring.

Police identified the motorcyclist as 25-year-old Devin Sweeting. The other victims were not immediately identified.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Comments

1. MD DAD says:

This parkway should be widen to 3 lanes in more areas where it only has 2 lanes. The majority of this road being only 2 lanes since it was constructed years ago.
    In the areas where there only two lanes, you get tailgated and passed on the shoulder of the road by fast approaching vehicles from the rear. The speed limit is 55 mph and I have been passed on the shoulder by big SUV’s, Beamers, and Mercedes when I was going 70 mph. This aggressive driving seems to be more prevalent the closer you are to I-495. I never could understand why the parkway is 3 lanes in just a few of the many traffic congested areas. Maybe it would also help alleviate the road rage conditions that is all to common on this stretch of highway.

2. JackDaniels says:

THE PARKWAY WAS CONSTRUCTED TO BE JUST THAT…….A “PARK” WAY…………….A SCENIC PARK-LIKE SETTING…………..IT WAS NEVER INTENDED TO BE A MAJOR EXPRESSWAY.

FURTHERMORE, MORE LANES ARE NOT A CURE FOR A$$HOLES THAT DON’T KNOW HOW TO DRIVE AND/OR DON’T CARE IF THEY PUT OTHER PEOPLE IN HARM’S WAY WITH THEIR TAILGATING…………….THERE ARE 4 LANES AND MORE ON 495 AND 695 AND THE SAME A$$HOLES TAILGATE THERE TOO!!!!!!!

3. Leigh Ann Erdman says:

This is such a tragedy. I have seen some of the most aggreesive drivers I have ever experienced in the area between Powder Mill through Route 50 into DC. Like the poster above passing in the emergency lane, motorcycles center lining. That flashing speed limit sign does nothing but annoy the road ragers from the people who slow down for it. The electronic babysitter I call it. I do not know what it is about the magic bountry at 495 that causes normally sane people to lose all common sense. The beautiful parkway can no longer be enjoyed because of the craziness. PG County needs to increase a presence there but that probably won’t happen. To enjoy a wonderful family vacation and then to have tragedy within miles of your home makes it 100 x more tragic.

1. Leigh Ann Erdman says:

*boundary

4. D says:

At 2 in the morning there probably was no traffic and possibly something else happened here, like they swerved to hit a deer. I have been commuting on 295 to work for 13 years the in PG county there are a lot of deer that are in that area, especially at night.

1. Leigh Ann Erdman says:

No one knows what happened and believe me, there are aggressive and wreakless drivers at all hours of the night on 295. I have been privy to their behavior on my way home from work. Whether deer, other drivers or driver error, it is still a tragedy. Sincerest condolences to the families.

5. ZeeS. says:

Excuse Me But I’m Pretty Sure None Of You Are In Any Place To Talk Disrespectfully To The Family If Anything You Should Feel Sorry For Their Loss And Give Them Their Condolences And It Also Says Nothing About The Incident Being Caused By The Vehicle Speeding So Next At Have A Little Respect For People’s Feelings.

1. Donald Bonner says:

They never said anything disrespectful

6. MD DAD says:

Zee S…..Where in my post was I talking disrespectfully of this family? For that matter, no one on this forum posted anything accussing this family of speeding. The comments (mine included) were discussing the dangerous driving conditions we have encoutered on the BW Parkway. One person posted that a deer might have crossed their vehicle’s path for maybe a reason for the accident. But who wrote that they felt the reason for this accident was because they were speeding? Of course I have sympathy for this family’s tradgedy. And I guess I should apologize to you for posting an opinion about a road that is dangerous, but not directly related to this accident?

1. Donald Bonner says:

That road is very dangerous

7. Donald Bonner says:

MD Dad I first want to say. Yes I have read all the comments and none of them was disrespectful. I didn’t mind any of them at all. I see everyone here does have their concern. And Zee before you get upset with me agreeing to MD, let me first to tell you that… they are family cause that was my sister, niece and nephew that I lost in that accident. Sooooo…… thank you all for your concern and prayers.

8. Lydia Joooo says: