FINKSBURG, Md. (AP) — Officials say a small explosion in a home in Finksburg that injured three people may have been caused when fireworks were inadvertently mixed in with birthday candles.

A 13-year-old girl and her parents were injured in Tuesday night’s explosion. They were taken to local hospitals in good condition. 

Deputy Chief State Fire Marshal Allen Gosnell tells the Carroll County Times that there was a birthday and a cake and afterward there was a low-level explosion in the dining room.

Gosnell says officials suspect someone inadvertently put low-order fireworks in with birthday candles, and the unsuspecting family lit the candles, causing the explosion.

The incident is under investigation.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

  1. Leigh Ann Erdman says:

    Somebody”s cruel idea of a joke?

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Watch & Listen LIVE