Apartment Building Evacuated Due To Smoke

 

SILVER SPRING, Md. (AP) — Authorities say power has been restored to an apartment building in Silver Spring that was evacuated due to smoke from a possible electrical fire.

 

Pepco spokesman Clay Anderson says crews restored power to the building in the 1700-block of Old Columbia Pike about 2:30 a.m. Thursday.

 

Fire department spokesman Capt. Oscar Garcia says firefighters were called to the building Wednesday night and found smoke coming from a boiler room and electrical closet area. Garcia says at least two electrical panels were damaged, so authorities cut power to the building.

 

More than 1,000 people had been forced to leave the building.

 

Hundreds of people were returning to their homes early Thursday morning, but many were still staying at a makeshift shelter at an area school.

 

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Baltimore

Track Weather On The Go With Our App!
Your Podcast Network Play.it

Listen Live