Former O’s Pitcher Mike Flanagan Found Dead

SPARKS, Md. (WJZ) — Former Orioles pitcher and executive Mike Flanagan was found dead near his Baltimore County home Wednesday.  Police received a call about a body found on the property near Flanagan’s home in Sparks, Md. Police have not identified the cause of death.

Flanagan is a member of the Orioles Hall of Fame.  He pitched 15 of his 18 Major League seasons with the Orioles and won the Cy Young Award as the American League’s top pitcher in 1979.   Flanagan also worked as an Orioles pitching coach, general manager and was working as a game analyst on MASN this season. Former O’s general manager Jim Duquette who worked with Flanagan from 2005-2007 tells WJZ of Flanagan:  “The Baltimore community and the baseball world have lost a terrific talent and an even better person.”

Flanagan is survived by his wife Alex and three daughters: Kerry, Kathryn and Kendall.  He was 59.

In a statement, Orioles Managing Partner Peter Angelos said, “It is with deep sadness that I learned of the death of my friend Mike Flanagan earlier this evening. In over a quarter century with the organization, Flanny became an integral part of the Orioles family, for his accomplishments both on and off the field. His loss will be felt deeply and profoundly by all of us with the ballclub and by Orioles fans everywhere who admired him. On behalf of the club I extend my condolences to his wife, Alex; and daughters Kerry, Kathryn and Kendall.”

Read more about Flanagan’s life.

More from Mark Viviano
Comments

1. lori says:

Agree…WJZ totally MISSED THIS STORY!!!

2. Keri says:

Good job there WJZ….

1. lori says:

and they’ve had plenty of time to “FIX” this story!! known for a least 1/2 hour now

3. Adam Davis says:

Sucks! I just saw this on Facebook (WNST posted). RIP Mike.

4. Leah says:

Jesus Christ a man lost his life, whether he died of natural causes, was murdered, or killed himself and all you cackling old hens can do is get on here and point out that there was a typo??? Are you kidding me?? And LINDA…just an FYI…what WJZ posted was completely correct….police have NOT confirmed, but multiple OTHER sources have. Sometimes it is best to remain silent and thought a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

8 comments and only ONE person had the decency to even make reference to Flanny’s passing. PATHETIC.

5. Leah says:

Baltimore has truly lost a friend of the game of baseball. He is a man that deserves much respect for the contributions that he has made to Baltimore sports. He will be sadly missed and my heart goes out to his family. R.I.P. Mike Flanagan.

6. Mary Anne says:

So sad to hear that Mike Flanagan has passed away..no matter what the cause of death, he is no longer with us. I remember his prominence as a player with the Orioles and his role as a manager with the organization. He was always considered a true professional looking in from the outside! So wish D’Angelo would step away from this org. and then the Orioles greatness would shine once again as a major league ball team.

7. mark says:

I remember watching a game Mike pitched where her threw 76 pitches for a complete game win. Saw Flanny in Orlando airport a few years ago when he and his family were arriving for the beginning of spring training. We had a brief conversation; he displayed some of his trademark wit, and he was very cordial in his conversation.

8. michele says:

R.I.P Mike an my prayers go out to the family

9. TIRED OF THE DRAMA says:

IT DOES NOT MATTER WHO SAID WHAT WHEN BUT THE ONLY THING THAT DOES MATTER IS THAT HE IS RESTING IN PEACE. ALL OF THE OTHER B.S. NEEDS TO STOP POINT BLANK

10. jeff says:

You will be missed Flanny…..RIP

11. OrioleGirl says:

Mike Flanigan was one of my favorites when I was little, I was born and bred Orioles ball. Loved Memorial Stadium. Mike, sorry you didn’t know many of us did not blame you, You are only on person, part of an organization. You were a good guy and will be missed. rip~