Howard Co. Bus Driver Fired For Safety Issue

HOWARD COUNTY, Md. (WJZ)– Students are left scared and screaming. Parents in Howard County say a school bus driver is to blame and it’s all caught on tape.

Mike Hellgren reports the bus driver has been fired.

It’s all because of less than 30 seconds of video, captured by a concerned grandmother.

Grandmother Christina Walters shot the video of her granddaughter. On it, the bus can be seen coming to an abrupt stop and the doors swinging open.  The children inside, some of them kindergarteners, are screaming.

“The children went forward. Then all of the sudden the door was already open. She had the door open before she even had stopped,” said Walters.

Walters says it has happened every day since the start of the school year, and she feared for her granddaughter’s safety.

“I thought, ‘You know what? I’m going to tape this because I’m tired of it,'” Walters said.

Once watching the video, the transportation supervisor immediately got the bus driver removed from the route.

“We’re under no obligation to keep a driver who we don’t feel is a safe driver or is meeting our standards, so if this isn’t living up to our expectations that person won’t drive in  Howard County again,” said Patti Caplan, Howard County Schools.

The bus driver works for a company that has a contract with the Howard County Department of Education.

The company said they took swift action and fired the driver. They praised Walters for capturing the video.

“I hope this brings more awareness to parents and to people in general,” Walters said. “I hope more parents speak out if they see this happen because this is our children.”

Now, a new driver will take over that route. Walters says that gives her peace of mind, although she hates to see somebody lose a job in these tough economic times.

She says her granddaughter’s safety is her top priority.

More from Mike Hellgren
Comments

1. chris says:

whatever, it builds character.

2. Ernie says:

Haven’t seen a elementary school bus that’s not full of screaming kids.

Buses are overcrowded and routes are too long for the drivers to take their time and still keep to the schedule.

1. kim says:

what does that mean !!!! this is about something totally difftrent not sceaming !!!

2. excuse me? says:

@ Ernie,I really hope that your not a parent.If I ever saw something like this happen with my child on the bus,I wouldn’t have been standing there recording it,I would have been on the bus yelling at that a$$hole driver.I’m responsible for my child,even if that means protecting them at all costs.Behavior like this is unacceptable,and shouldn’t be tolerated.END OF DISCUSSION

3. MomTaxi says:

They would have to fire just about every bus driver in our neighborhood. They all drive like idiots, runnin red lights and stop signs, speeding and pulling out on cars. It’s sad that they are so pressured by their route schedules that they are willing to put children in danger.

4. deanna says:

i live in jessup and i would have did the same thing !!! good for you …..

1. analyst says:

dats rye! you wudda done did da same thane right? Maybe you shudda spent more time on a bus gettin ta skooo

Hey, geeeze seems like too much estrogen around the buss terminals! We be in da middle of Venus…where out of the murky gaseous clouds “feelings” are the doctrine of tyranny, meaning more than truth for them, an imperceptible reality to many women, where the effeminate bludgeon-of-vindication rules..they are all women involved in this story, presumable all “liberated”, but within the cacophony of the irrational.

5. Mark says:

Did the Concerned grandmother even take the time to talk to the driver. i would love to see her (Grandmom) drive her little angle and 50 other screaming little angles around and see how well she does. this Grandmother took the time to tape it but she could have taken time to talk to the driver no she let this go one for all most 2 months?

1. pajama momma says:

What the hell is an “angle” you idiot? Stop being so obtuse.

2. analyst says:

exactly Mark! These women want to be heroines “for the sacrosanct children” rather than improve life for all…to lovingly correct the bus driver & save her job. It’s about imposing consequences, the symptom of the mentally suppressed clamoring for a bit of power fantasizing themselves relevant in their hapless impotent world. So you misspelled angel? doltish pajama momma gets lathered for the impish nano things, the cue to spasm for the vacuous having no capacity for an iota germane. Who uses personal insult first? Yep, she’s 300lbs of moo moo AKA pajama

6. driver 653 says:

I AM THE SCHOOL BUS DRIVER THE VIDEO WAS FILMED WEDNESDAY AFTOON THURSDAY MORNING SHE PUT HER CHILD ONTHE BUS AND WAVED AND SMILED AT ME

THE GRANDMOM WAVED AND SMILED AT ME EVERYMORNING SHE PUT HER CHILD ON THE SCHOOLBUS

I WAS COMPLETELY BLINDSIIDED BY TEH WHOLE THING

NOBODY WAS HURT OR HARMED BY THIS INCIDENT

I WAS NOT FIREDDDDDDD………… IMMEDIATELY… SO STOP LIEING ON ME….

1. driver 653…..you mean you were back-stabbed by a conscientious two-faced gutless modern liberated child-worshiping Howard county grandma? After 50 years of liberal “counterculture” this is what we get: these grandmas and over crowded prisons? Where’s all the peace and love as the morals, God and truth are trampled by socialists? We’re turning out the effeminate and way too many beta-males in school these days. I would have all my 7 kids on yer bus any day…you look like you know how to drive!!!

7. Ana says:

I’m a bus driver, we are told it’s okay to be seldom late, it’s not ok to rush no matter what.
    Whenever I’m late, its for traffic, weather, or parents being late to p/u their kids, but that won’t make me speed to get to my next school on time, even if the other school’s staff looks at me like “why are late again?”.
    On the other hand, grandma could have talked to the driver first about her unsafe ways.